Aygestin

Comment from: bbgg833, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: August 22

I was experiencing very heavy periods with clots. It was awful. My period started coming every 2 weeks. I was losing so much blood I had to get a transfusion. The Aygestin was a Godsend. Bleeding stopped immediately. I've been on it for several weeks now with no apparent side effects.

Related Reading: aygestin

Comment from: pinkheart116, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 14

All that I have experienced using this drug is severe dizziness ie: room spinning during any and all activity. Also mild depression. I am a 53 year old who went a year without a period then started bleeding and clotting for weeks on end. GYN thought this treatment would help. I am unable to have hystrectomy due to Plavix medication. I have just stopped this med and am consulting with doctor.

Related Reading: dizziness | plavix

Comment from: Diana, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: May 02

Am 55 and haven't reached menopause. Was bleeding heavily for a month and a half with clots. Had ultrasound -- thickened endometrial lining 17 mm, cysts and fibroids. Gyn started me on Aygestin 10/mg per day for days 1-10 each month. Have used four months. Now periods are 8-9 days, only one heavy day a month and no clots and not spotting in between except for first month. Gyn said I can use indefinitely. If quits working will need D&C and then hysterectomy. Had headaches, dizziness and bouts of nauseousness before Aygestin so can't blame the drug for side effects. Used natural progesterone cream a couple of years ago with same problem and began bleeding less heavy but still irregular and couldn't tell how much I was using and needed to use since instructions said to use again if started bleeding (which was quite often). Was probably using too much of it. It just didn't work for me. I am pleased I can use this hopefully until I get through menopause since I don't want any surgery I can avoid. Also, I've had some docs who said they believed I'd had TIAs so I've been on 81mg aspirin for 13 yrs. On my own I started using less aspirin hoping it would also help the bleeding. Using aspirin the 10 days on Aygestin, none until after period, then every other day. Every time I blew my nose it was bloody and that has stopped. But make sure your doc knows if you change your meds. I'd read on internet to stop aspirin totally if had abnormal bleeding, but that sounds dangerous to me. Hope the best for anyone who tries this. I feel like it's been a blessing from God for me. I don't like being on any meds but this seems smarter than surgery and I'm tired of stockpiling sanitary napkins!

Related Reading: aspirin

Comment from: baker12, 45-54 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: March 17

This drug has made it possible to avoid having a hysterectomy for a few more months by stopping my abnormal bleeding. However, my fibroids compound the problems and the Aygestin does not slow or shrink their growth.

Comment from: Pester, 45-54 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: January 10

I have been on this med for 5 years starting with 10 mg/day. Spotted for first year but my horrible headaches and massive bleeding stopped. Decreased dosage over time to 2.5 mg/day - no perceptible change in how I feel. No side effects. I feel better now at 54 than I did at 35 when all of this started.

Comment from: fourseasons, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: June 23

Not 100% sure but starting this medication was the only thing that changed prior to my stroke. I have no family history, normal cholesterol, BP, etc. I started taking this in late November of 2008 and had my stroke on December 6, 2009. Teams of doctors have tried to determine a cause - I am 42 years old.

Related Reading: stroke | cholesterol

Comment from: mandy, 45-54 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: April 21

I had heavy peoriods for about a year. I went to the dr and he gave me aygentin. I take 2.5 mg the first 12 days of the month and on the 13th day my period started and was normal. I have been on it for 25 years and would not be without it.

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: February 08

My doctor has me taking 5mg twice a day to prepare for an endo ablation. This drug has caused depression, anxiety, weight gain, acne, bloating, headaches. I have taken myself off of it and will consult my Dr.

Related Reading: anxiety | acne

Comment from: Trish, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: March 11

AFTER BLEEDING FOR WHAT SEEMED LIKE AN ETERNITY,STARTED ON THE PILLS. I. WAS INSTRUCTED TO TAKE 1 PILL EVERY 3 HOURS AND WITHIN 24 HOURS THE BLEEDING STOPPED. IT WAS LIKE A MIRACLE.

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 14

My gynecologist had me take for eight days. On the second day it made a BIG difference. I was able to back to work instead of lying on my back with my legs elevated.

Comment from: Pamela, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 21

I was given this medication for abnormal uterine bleeding; I also have PCOS. I had been bleeding for 7 weeks and took the medication for 6 weeks. It stopped the bleeding immediately. I experienced night sweats, and a bit of dizziness, along with mood swings. After stopping the medication, it took 2 days for my period to return, and have cramps that are EXTREMELY painful, chills (despite it being hot),and nausea. Haven't slept all night. They should list after effect in pharmacy pamphlet. Gyno said the bleeding will return just as strongly as before, if not more so. I was happy while on the medicine, not so after stopping it. I'm 30 yrs old.

Related Reading: night sweats | dizziness

Comment from: yeah me , 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 12

I take this pill at night and the only thing it doesnt tell you on the side effect.. Is night sweat I thought i was going thru premature menopause but I am not..

Related Reading: premature menopause

Comment from: marly, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: May 05

All though I have not been reg for some time when it came down to me bleeding for 3 month heavy with golf ball sizes clots I knew i had to do something I was a lettle worryed to take it cause iam a heart patient and have atone of meds i do take and chest pain ,heart attact or stroke was a side efft. i dint know whatto do but i dec to take it and it has been grat not to bleed

Related Reading: chest pain | stroke

Comment from: Courage, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: November 27

I am 54 yrs. old and it has stopped the heavy periods and pelvic pain I was having. I am not quite through menopause so this has helped me with all the negative side effects of menopause.

Related Reading: pelvic pain | menopause

Comment from: Donna, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 06

helped balance out my hormones

Comment from: Sherry, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 28

I have been on my period for 5 weeks, (my last period lasted 4 months). My Gyn. put me on Seasonique ( to have a perod every 3 mos. ) I started heavy bleeding with HUGE clots 6 weeks from beginning pill. Started taking this med yesterday, (1 per hour x 8hours, then 1/4xday x 3days, etc...) already notice a HUGE difference. Not only has my bleeding almost stopped, but i feel better, more balanced. I have had a slight migraine today, but it's better than what I was dealing with. My energy level increased almost immediately. I am, however, worried about what will happen when I finish this prescription. So far, I am very happy with the results.

Related Reading: seasonique

Comment from: DK, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: February 04

This medication was prescribed for me to induce bleeding after taking estrogen (without progesterone) for five months. The hormone doctor was concerned about the lining of my uterus having become too thick. The prescribed dosage was five 5MG pills to be split in half and taken over the course of ten days. I had intense and frightening side effects from this drug. I actually thought I was having a heart attack or a stroke one evening. I experienced severe, radiating pain, tingling, and numbness in my left arm and down my left side from the 6th day taking the prescription and continuing for one week after I finished the dosage. I experienced intense pressure under my left arm and into my left breast. The drug made me VERY emotional and depressed, which is atypical for me. I am currently seeing a acupuncturist to deal with the very toxic side-effects of this drug.

Related Reading: heart attack

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 08

I have been experiencing heavy vaginal bleeding for 5 weeks. Taking this drug has slowed down the bleeding, but hasn't completely stopped yet. I feel nauseous at times even when I take it after I eat. I take 2 a day as of now.

Related Reading: vaginal bleeding

Comment from: Myrtle, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: August 02

The first two weeks on this medication I had zero pain or bleeding. I did not have my period when it was due which made me think this was working. The third week I have had the worst cramping and bleeding of my life! I can't move, roll over in bed or even sit still to get the cramping to stop. The pain wakes me from sleep it is so severe! I'd rather not be on it and deal with the monthly breakthrough bleeding, at least that pain was easily relieved with some ibuprofen!

Related Reading: ibuprofen

Published: June 03

I have been taking this medication for a week and the heavy bleedig has stop but ive notices severe pains in my right leg,from behind my thigh all the way down to my heel. the meds stopped the bleeding and cloting but gave me another problem.Im scared to finish taking this because i have high bloodpressure and im afraidof bloodclotts so i'll stop taking it and report this to the docotor.

Comment from: neen7391, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: February 08

I started this med for treatment of abnormal bleeding. The Gyn decided that Endo ablation would be better for me than a hysterectomy. It has been great for me but I didn't realize that I would become so emotional; crying for every reason known. I am so glad I only have a few more days left.

Comment from: nursesane, 45-54 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: November 03

Immediately stopped bleeding and works well with occasional spotting. Get migraines but worth avoiding the clots and hemorrhaging

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: July 11

I HAD BEEN BLEEDING ALMOST 3 WEEKS, DRAMATIC DIFFERENCE AFTER THE FIRST DOSE. IT HAS ALMOST STOPPED COMPLELY.

Comment from: kccamaro, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: January 17

I am scheduled for a hysterectomy. My uterus is attaching itself to the abdomen wall and I have my period constantly. I was given Aygestin to "bide my time" will excessive bleeding. I took it for 10 days. On the following morning (3am) I awoke with severe pain in abdomen. Called my Doc. I passed approx 10 golf ball size clots. I dont want to go back on the med. So I had to up my surgery and deal with the bleeding til then. (end of Feb.)

Related Reading: aygestin

Comment from: Donna, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: November 04

I went to the GYN because of my severely heavy bleeding and clotting. Was told to take and it would slow down my menstrual to be manageable. Since taking it (almost a month) i have not gotten my period at all (which happened to a friend of mine also) and i have no side affects so far. I had cramping when i was supposed to get my period, but nothing every showed up. If I can use this until i reach menopause probably a years time, i would love to keep taking this. So far the only positive result i have had. The heavy menstrual and clots prevented me from going out of my house 2 days a month and i feel like a normal person again.

Related Reading: menopause