Azasite

Comment from: Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: February 02

I took this drug for a moderate case of Blepharitis and it has worked wonderfully. My eyes fell better and look better

Related Reading: blepharitis

Comment from: geezerkemist, 65-74 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 27

I am not a stockholder. Azasite was prescribed for my blepharitis. It is somewhat difficult to use. One MUST turn the small bottle over and shake once to force the viscous liquid into the tip of the dispensing neck. Otherwise it appears that the bottle is empty when squeezed. Put firm steady pressure on the sides of the bottle until drop emerges. For blepharitis I was advised to put the drop on a figertip and apply in a back and forth manner to the eyelids, rather than into the eye directly. Having said it is effective, at the same time I received the prescription I was advised to use eyelid cleaner before each application. Either Sterilid foam or Ocusoft lid scrub pre-moistened pads-both sold at WalMart at best price available. I like the pads. Use folded once and massage in a back and forth motion then rinse well and pat dry. Use one side for first eye then turn over and use the other side on the other eye. I use Bounty to pat dry. It may be that with pad or foam use I could avoid the Azasite. We shall see when course of treatment ends.

Related Reading: azasite | blepharitis

Published: February 02

Not only does AzaSite require fewer drops but it is soothing to the eye. This eye drop is a blessing to those that have children. It works fast and is great.

Related Reading: azasite

Comment from: Spudzy, 55-64 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: February 02

Doctor told me I had Pink Eye and wrote a prescription for Azasite. I DO NOT like putting anything in my eyes. This stuff was so easy and so gentile, I had no problems. My eyes cleared up in a couple of days but I continued the antibiotic regime as directed. Very good stuff in my opinion!

Comment from: 35-44 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: February 02

My five year old is a holy terror when trying to apply eyedrops. After the first time using she did not object from then on. Works extremely well compared to other antibiotic drops.

Comment from: rbloomqu, 45-54 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: February 02

Excellent drop, at least as effective as Vigamox and much less dosing, 9 drops vs. 21. AzaSite will dominate its market in the near future.

Related Reading: vigamox

Comment from: barla, 65-74 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: June 05

I used this for runny eyes,part of dry eye problems,it is terrific. I feel like I have climbed out of the aquarium and can see without a layer of liquid in my eyes.I can drive again, read, paint.

Comment from: EYEtalian, 45-54 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: February 02

My 7 y/o son got bacterial conjunctivitis. The only thing that made him more miserable than the pink eye itself was the thought of putting drops in his eyes. Well not only is Azasite a wonder drup but the way its administered is BRILLIANT.

Comment from: Grass Valley patient, 65-74 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 06

It appears to be a gel, not sure if this is accurate. It has to be refrigerated. Perhaps that is why it is almost impossible to get out of the applicator into my eye. I am wondering if pharmacy gave me a defective bottle. None of product information says it is a gel. I am supposed to use it for 16 days, have used for 5 days and can't get anymore out of bottle. It is apparently empty. Not happy w/this overpriced medication. How do I write to FDA and let them know about this?

Comment from: F.D. Bloom, 55-64 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: July 26

A word to the wise, before you take on a prescription for Azasite 2.5ML. I am using this medication for Blepharitis. I paid $122.50 (twice) for 2.5 ML, for these eye drops. Since my experience with Azithromycin, as an antibiotic has always been positive, I expected good things from this medication, as opposed to the extreme burning, that seems to continue for a life-time, not to mention now I realize why my arms are all broken out with contact dermatitis. For the amount of money one has to pay for these drops, the least the Merck Company could do is subsidize the cost of the Aveeno Eczema Therapy Moisturizing Cream; I had to buy for the treatment for my arms. (And I thought it was from stress) It’s also mid-July as I write this in New York City, so the heat and humidity, are at a maximum. I am halfway through my treatment, and now wonder if it’s worth, continuing in lieu of the side effects on my arms! I agree with every other review I have read so far. My symptoms from the Blepharitis are quite intact. The improvement factor is still at absolute zero.

Related Reading: azithromycin | contact dermatitis | eczema

Comment from: jt1cs2, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 11

I have had to pay$94 for these drops and there was only 4 drops in the 2.5ML bottle. 2.5 ML should equal 60 drops. I took the 1st bottle back to the pharmacy and the next bottle I received was empty as well. I got 2 whole drops out of it!!

Comment from: Andrea Evans, 35-44 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: January 13

I have given this AzaSite for my condition of Blepharitis. It has allowed my eyes to not be red all the time and for me to be able to wear eye makeup again. My eye dr. has had me on it for 175 days. He told me I'll be on it indefinately. As long as my eyes are not red all the time I'll be happy. At least I won't be stared at like some horrid thing. Instead I look normal.

Related Reading: azasite | blepharitis

Comment from: Azasite 4 GOLD!!!, 25-34 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 13

Prescribed to treat blocked oil glands. Way too expensive! For the $120 price without insurance (or, if like me you have a high deductible HSA plan) you could literally buy an equal amount of gold, by weight. And, I agree with other posts regarding not enough medication to last the whole month; however, if you review the dosage and administration guidelines on the Merck website, Azasite is intended to be prescribed for a period of only 7 days. Your beef is with your doctor, who should be reported. I called Merck to tell them about it and they took my doctors information to HUNT HIM DOWN! or so they told me. They will likely just give him some more free samples and kickbacks for prescribing Azasite for non-FDA approved uses. Stuff does not work to unclog oil ducts. Buy gold instead.

Comment from: (Patient) Published: June 25

This medication runs out before the prescribed lenght of time. One would have to be a lab rat to get the amount of doses the thimble sized bottle claims. This causes problems with price and insurance who refuse to refill the prescription early. Too rich for my blood. Like using liquid gold at One hundred twenty five dollars for 2.5 ml Even if you are insured product will run out before insurance refills.

Comment from: Susan, 55-64 (Patient) Published: July 19

This medication has side effects that you have to look into the clinical report to find out about. I was given this drop for a conditions that I found out later that I didn't even have and within 24 hrs of use I was in severe pain and suffering with burning, eye pain and severe dryness which I didn't have before taking the drop. I took the drop twice back in May and the pain has not gone away. I have been to 5 Drs including a cornea specialist and have gotten no treatment for the pain and as soon as I mention Azasite they are done with me and say that the drug could not have cause the problem even after showing them the report from the drug company saying that it can. I have cornea arosion and nerve damage to my eyes , both of them. DO NOT TAKE THIS DRUG.....

Comment from: [email protected], 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: December 21

This has been the best thing I have tried in 8 years of chronic eye problems caused by thyroid disease. Yes, it is an expensive medication and it is not very easy to use. At first I found it stung a lot, but I soon got used to it and now experience no pain with the drops. I am on it for 7 days out of every month. It has been very effective for my chronic blepharitis and allergic conjunctivitis. My eyes feel almost normal for the first time in 8 long years. Try lying flat on the bed, then turn the bottle completely upside down and squeeze out a drop into your eye, close the eye immediately and wait a minute or two. If you are patient, you might be one of the lucky ones for whom this works.

Published: February 02

To those of you who are wanting an honest review of Azasite, please do not rely on the reviews here. If you notice all but one of the reviews were posted on the same day. They were posted by stock holders who are doing whatever they can to help the stock price go up so they can make money. I am also a stock holder and I do believe that Azasite is a good product but posting false reviews is not the right way to try to make money. Please disregard the rating information that I used in this post. I have never used the product and I only did the rating section because it was required to post the message. I am posting some links so you can see this for yourself. http://www.investorvillage.com/smbd.asp?mb=4145&mn=17057&pt=msg&mid=4027716 http://www.investorvillage.com/smbd.asp?mb=4145&mn=17058&pt=msg&mid=4027718 http://www.investorvillage.com/smbd.asp?mb=4145&mn=17059&pt=msg&mid=4027803 http://www.investorvillage.com/smbd.asp?mb=4145&mn=17061&pt=msg&mid=4028928 Please get your information from your Dr. and then decide if Azasite is the right product for you.

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 29

This should never be ordered for a single or elderly patient. The $50 copay is criminal for this tiny bottle. The thick contents will not come out right. You get a huge blob that misses the eye because you are squeezing with all your might. It is frustrating and what little medication reaches the eye hurts for 15 - 20 minutes. I can't speak to the effectiveness really because of the defective delivery system.

Comment from: Hattie, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 27

Cannot get drops out of the bottle. At first a large drop splashes, then bottle seems empty. I tap it upside down with the cap on and nothing. I tap and tap again, and sometimes I get a drop. Very difficult to use and very expensive.

Comment from: bamagirlt, 65-74 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: May 29

I have blepharitis and have used this before and it does not Help my problem but my doctor keeps putting me back on it .

Related Reading: blepharitis

Comment from: gg, 75 or over on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: May 25

The first time that I used this medication was today. It burned my eyes so much that I intend to throw it away or take it back to the drugstore with my complaint.

Comment from: KarenR, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 07

My new eye doctor suggested I use this for a month along with Restatsis as I have such dry eye it was impossible for him to even get an accurate picture of my eyes to determine if he could do AK surgery to fix an under correct PRK surgery. I was horrified to find that my co-pay was $80.00. He said lets start with this treatment first. Okay, in four weeks time I will have spent a lot of money and not sure if it will even work. Not very happy with the cost.

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 05

My doctor prescribed this medication for me for a stye that I had way up under my upper eye lid. It was very expensive, but it did the job. It burned for a couple of seconds right after putting it in but then it was fine. My doctor told me that it was not necessary to refrigerate it as that makes it hard to use and to store the bottle upside down. I would definitely use this again.

Comment from: WLV, 55-64 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: July 28

This drug has been disappointing. My Anthem Blue Cross co-pay for this tiny bottle was $50 after meeting a $200 deductible. The first drop did not come out. When trying again more than 2 drops came out. Because of this, I ran short by 1 drop prior to surgery. I cannot recommend AzaSite.

Related Reading: azasite

Comment from: 75 or over Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 12

I also cannot get the prescribed amount of drops from one bottle. The small bottle that is sold barely gives 7 days of use. And the cost is excessive. I cannot believe that a drug companys cost should be so high that it is passed to the consumer. A rip off.