Azopt

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: April 12

My eye pressure went up to 30, even with Timolol in the a.m. and Lumigan at night, so Eye Dr. prescribed Azopt in right eye 2 X's daily for a month. After that nothing changed, so went to both eyes twice a day. 2 weeks later, I felt weird tingly, sensations from waist to the nose and some light chest pressure when at rest, but nothing when busy. It kept getting worse and I checked precautions as I am very allergic to sulfa and ualways broke out in hives. That's when I saw a warning about hypersensitivity to it. My eye Dr. refused to believe that was the cause and told me my light chest pressure was more likely angina and I needed to see my physician for an angina check-up that week. I insisted on going off the drops for a week. Within a few days, all symptoms were gone and I finally felt normal! Unfortunately, I now owe for an EKG and physician visit that I didn't need. My eye dr. said there is only one other eye drop med. he can try and people complain about burning eyes and complications + wonder if it is sulfa based.

Related Reading: timolol | lumigan | azopt

Comment from: Kacilee, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 31

I have been on many different eye-pressure lowering eyedrops for both eyes over the past 10 years; the most recent, Lumigan, for about three years now. I think my eyes become resistant to each medication because eventually my pressure would always go back up and it became necessary to try something else. Two months ago, after seeing my opthomologist for follow-up, the pressure in my right eye was up to 38. He added Azopt immediately, twice a day, along with the Lumigan, and a week later the pressure had dropped to 23 in that eye. I highly recommend Azopt for anyone who needs to get their eye pressure under control since it worked so well for me.

Comment from: Mundy, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 29

I experienced problems with the side effects from my previous drops. My eye DR decided it would be better for me to come off beta blockers and put me on Lumigan once a day and Azopt twice a day. At first I was very pleased because the side effects weren't so bad. Just Nausea, bad taste, dripping at back of throat, sore eyes and headache. But after 3 months I started to develop breathlessness and uncomfortable tight feeling in my chest. I came off all drops when I had the flu about 3 weeks ago as I couldn't breath. Found after a week that my blood pressure returned to normal (it had started to get a bit high) and I felt comfortable with my breathing and I also noticed I felt happier so i must have been a bit depressed too. I started up the medication again 3 days ago. Very tight choking feeling, pain in my left arm, cramps, upset stomach, sleepy as well as the dry feeling in my throat. I also feel aprehensive. So I think it's definately the meds.

Related Reading: beta blockers | headache | flu

Comment from: Dmontmc, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: August 13

Have used many different drops with still have high pressure. Tried Azopt but had lots of side effects including shortness of breath, light headed, low energy, dry, irritated, red eyes, metalic taste. Also could not tolerate Lumegan but have done fine with Xalatan and Timoptic XE.

Related Reading: xalatan | timoptic

Comment from: 75 or over on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: February 11

It makes my rt.eye burn and feels like something is scratching. Also my eye seems very dry.

Comment from: Roselulu, 55-64 (Patient) Published: May 01

I feel this med stings my eye.. I feel like my eyes are blurry since I also use another eye drop in right. I insisted my dr. Test my eyes again because I thought the drops were hurting my eyesight. I go back in July

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: August 21

I feel a scratchy sensation in my eyes sometimes, and a metallic taste in my mouth, but my pressure is dropping. Went from 25/26 down to 18/19.

Comment from: Oscar, 65-74 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: July 04

I have been using azopd for a month and instead of decreasing my eye pressure it went up. At the beginning, the doctor said the drops were super good. In conclusion, this drops did not work for me. ps. remember to shake it well before use. No everybody tell you that.

Comment from: oldtarr, 75 or over Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: October 31

feels like it is full of sand! Leaves acinder-like residue.

Comment from: 65-74 on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: September 04

I have been using Azopt for 3 months and it took my pressure from 20 to 18.I get the metalic taste in my mouth and a burning once in a while,otherwise I take it twice a day and have no problem with it.

Related Reading: azopt

Comment from: george, on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: December 16

we have been using it for more than a year and the pressure is still high.Even after surgey. Plus when i put the drop the eye is getting bigger. Next to azopt we also use lumigan and temolol but no help .The eye pressure is around 28.

Related Reading: azopt | lumigan

Comment from: Pothooks, 75 or over Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: January 09

I've been treated for glaucoma for 15 years. I've taken about every medication available --- starting with Timoptic. Sooner or later each loses its effectiveness. I am now on Azopt, Brimonidine, and Lumigan. In addition I've had laser treatment in the right eye. So far visual damage has been minimal. My eyes are less and less prone to take drops gracefully (they tear up and lose some of the medication), but I keep trying. One problem with some of the drops I've taken, especially Cosopt is a dangerous lowering of blood pressure. Azopt seems to be okay in this regard.

Related Reading: glaucoma | timoptic | lumigan

Comment from: Thomasleeevans, 55-64 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 22

Blurred vision that lasts 12 hours or more. Headaches.

Published: July 10

my blood pressure seems to be affected by these drops........very high.

Comment from: nelbo12, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: July 22

One month using drops, pressures went from about 14 to 12, each eye. Except I would experience slight headache with the morning dose. I'm going to try Timolol,see if I tolerate it better.

Related Reading: headache | timolol

Comment from: Gary0222, 45-54 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 12

I have been on travatan for the last 5 years. Recently I had surgery for a detached retina. The Doctor had me on Acular, my regular Travatan and Vigamox. 3 weeks after the surgery my eye was throbbing. I went to see my regular Eye Doctor, he checked the pressure and it was at 27. He gave me some Azopt drops. An hour later my eye felt much better. Its been four weeks since my surgery and the pressure is 12 in that eye. The surgeon is keeping me on the azopt drops for now.

Related Reading: travatan | acular | vigamox

Comment from: rbta6a, 65-74 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: April 11

Drug caused my eyes to burn and become very irritated. I developed blurred vision and had to use preservative free lucbricating eye drops frequently. I had to stop using the drug.

Comment from: azopt, 75 or over on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: July 11

I have only been using this medication for a couple of weeks. My eyes are blurry

Comment from: mwb, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: April 03

I have open glaucoma in both eyes. I am using Azopt as a replacement for Xalacom - which I had been using for 10 years. Xalacom was not unpleasant to use but had some terrible side effects on the rest of the body - so far causing me to be off work for 21 months. Eyes are now stable with Azopt. At an intermediate stage I used Azopt with Latanoprost (which is one of the constituents contained at the same strength in Xalacom). That was a disaster because it seems that Latanoprost severely aggravated eye redness and sore eyelids which are known Azopt side effect risks. These side effects reduced very quickly when Lataonprost was ceased altogether. No difference in eye pressure was observed by the cessation of Latanoprost. Overall for me the unpleasantness and regimen of the medication is trivial compared with the adverse impacts of Xalacom.

Related Reading: latanoprost

Pink Eye (Conjunctivitis) Symptoms, Causes, Treatments See Slideshow
Comment from: vatrekker, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: January 27

After taking this for over a year, I did experience side effects like stuffy nose, and drainage. Until I got off this med, I did not realize the side effects as taking 2 other prescribed eye drops

Comment from: vatrekker, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: October 12

Have been using over a year. Doctor had to add combigan to lower pressure further. I also use dry eye drops. After using it for 6 months has been no side effects

Related Reading: combigan

Comment from: fordmexico, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: May 19

Use Azopt 2x per day in combination with Lumigan in the PM. I have not experienced any side effects. Pressure in both eyes when last tested was 15.

Related Reading: azopt | lumigan

Comment from: ilija, 13-18 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 09

Only share your first hand experience as a consumer or a care giver

Comment from: superdutyx1, 65-74 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: March 12

ok

Comment from: too old, 75 or over on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: May 05

I have used this for 3 months now & am not at all sure that I can tolerate the side effects. Started with 2 drops and have reduced to 1 in the morning, with doctor's permission, because of the severity. It is being used in conjunction with Xalatan and has brought my pressures down but messed up the quality of my life and at 83 I don't need this. There has to be a better way!

Related Reading: xalatan