Bactrim

Comment from: 35-44 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: September 27

Took this for MRSA infection on my skin, prescribed my my derm. Discovered that some of my acne cleared up (on my back) and so did the folliculitis on my legs (I have a lot of skin problems). Turns out all were being caused by various forms of staph, and the Bactrim is treating them all. My derm has allowed me to stay on it long-term for the acne/folliculitis.

Related Reading: mrsa | folliculitis | bactrim

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: June 10

Over the past year I have developed several MRSA positive skin abcesses. This medication has been used to treat it each time, and been mostly effective as long as the abscess is addressed in a timely manner. It is unfortunate that so many posting appear to have had previously unknown allergies, but I would urge others not to avoid this drug due to a few "bad reviews." It has always been safe and effective, and I have even used it safely to treat the same condition in my infant son. Your doctors aren't trying to kill you...their trying to help so lets all stop assuming we know more than they do, and let them do there jobs for a change.

Comment from: 35-44 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: January 05

My Daughter was given this medication for a staph infection. It worked quickly and effectively. Please take even this review with a grain of salt. Most posts here are by people with negative results, not positive or even neutral. If you have a negative side effect on a med, talk to your doctor or pharmacist. Don't read all these posts and assume! And for everyone's sake, either take all of your prescribed medication or get to your doctor for a replacement. I am willing to bet that 50% of us suffer because 90% don't finish thier meds to completely eliminate a bacteria.

Related Reading: staph infection

Comment from: brady, 35-44 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: July 14

Lower back pain, rash, burning red skin, headaches, chills, achey all over. Pretty sure my kidneys were inflammed and swollen causing the back pain. It cleared up my infection quickly but the side effects were aweful. Would never consider taking this ever again.

Related Reading: lower back pain | rash

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: October 21

only antibiotic that was effective at treating my acne.

Comment from: Cari, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 23

I have a strong tolerance for most medicine, but this drug made me so sick. I truly thought I would have to go to the ER. I only took two of the pills in one day (10 hours apart) and my system was so messed up. Terrible stomach cramps and pains. Had to spend the day laying down. Symptoms went on for a good two days. I think this drug should be illegal. Don't take it!!

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: June 11

I was prescribed this medicine for a skin infection on my neck. One the 8th day of my 10 day treatment I had a 101.1 temp. A few hours later I broke out into a rash. Went to the doctor and was told I was having a drug reaction and was given a steriod shot and told to take an antihistamine and avoid the sun. Looking back, I didn't feel great the whole time I was taking this medicine. I had a constant headache and achy shoulders (I thought it was stress related due to being stressed at work) and extremly fatigued. It did seem to help my skin infection though but it wasn't worth having my skin feel like it's on fire (and still is as I'm typing) and not being able to sleep and having to take cold showers. I'm starting to get itchy now too. Not fun.

Related Reading: headache | stress

Comment from: jayca, 19-24 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: July 28

Have a boil on leg and took Bactrim on tuesday. The only symptom was a headache. The doctor said , on thursday, that it was not really a symptom so she prescribed another drug. but she said that Bactrim I can still use. Saturday I woke up with a fever. I went to the er and they gave me an iv antibiotic and a prespription for leviquin and told me to continure taking bactrim with leviquin. then, that evening my fever never got below 100 and my face turned red. I had spots all over my arms and legs but it just looked like broken capillaries. Then, I woke up yesterday and everything was gone, even the fever. I took my Bactrim and then about an hour later my face was so red and hot, it felt like I was in the direct sunlight when i was really in my home. My rash was back. I am still fighting off the hives. After steroid shot, fever came back, hives still there. We find out today what else can be done to clear up all the symptoms. the worst part is, my doctor, a different one from before told me that the boil that i originally started with was pretty much healed. So now i am going for my fifth doctor's appointment for something that should have only taken 3 at the most. Any littlest sign that you are allergic, stop taking. I underestimated my heache and paying for it now.

Related Reading: hives

Comment from: britttt, 19-24 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 15

I was on a ten day supply of Bactrim taking 2 tablets twice a day for an infected finger which was cut with a kitchen knife. Bactrim helped clear the infection within a couple days but on day 7 i started to develop a fever of 100.5 not too bad- then got chills and felt very fatigued on the 8th day i developed a rash which ended up being on my whole body head to toe. i went to ER not knowing what was going on. doctor said i had an allergic reaction to bactrim and took me off immediately. doctor had to put me on steroids and antihistamines to stop the hives. I have no allergies to any other medications or foods or soaps. Bactrim had horrible side effects for me.

Related Reading: bactrim | fever | rash

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: May 18

I had taken this drug for 10 days... on the 10th day I broke out in a major rash. I have never been allergic to anything in my life so I brushed it off. I ended up getting another skin infection and the doc prescribed this again I took the first dose and within an hour I had a rash, fever, my face and neck was swollen and the infected area of my skin actually got worse. I ended up in the hospital for 3 days because of the reaction I had to this medicine. While it might work for some people I would warn others to be cautious about taking it.

Comment from: [email protected], 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 11

I took these antibiotics for almost 10 days..Was visiting up north and when I came back home to Florida I went out in my backyard for a while..Well I broke out in a full body rash,headache and the shakes during the night..I thought I was going to die!!! I have an appt on monday -today is saturday-I noticed the rash on friday and called my doctor but very hard to get in right away....I still feel like crap...

Related Reading: headache

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 10

please be careful when taking this drug. due to high potency of it's contency while taking this drug, the medication shut-down my kidneys and also gave me heart problems. thankfully all is well now and needless to say i will no longer take the drug bactrim nor anything with "sulfa" in it.

Related Reading: bactrim

Comment from: Sunni, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 16

I was given this drug as treatment for a nasty infection on my index finger (possibly MRSA). It worked quickly and effectively. However, on day 9 I developed a skin rash, starting with my ears, scalp, back then entire torso. Luckily only the back area itched. I am puzzled as I have taken sulfa drugs over the years with no problem. I am also disappointed to no longer have them in my arsenal of treatments.

Related Reading: mrsa

Comment from: dixievalkyrie, 19-24 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: August 08

I had impetigo on the sides of my mouth and a staph infection at the base of my neck, both very nasty and painful. My dr. threw me on two (generic)Bactrim a day for 10 days and also prescribed Altabax ointment to rub on the lesions. Both worked wonders and the sored healed in a couple days!

Related Reading: impetigo | staph infection | altabax

Comment from: Ashley, 19-24 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: February 03

My 2 year old daughter was prescribed this medicine due to an ear infection. She is allergic to amoxicillin, penicillin, keflex, and from my understanding this has some of the contents within the drug. After 4 days of use, her platelets dropped drastically. She was hospitalized for 3 days. Throwing up blood, constant bruising, fatigue, etc. I do not recommend this drug. A side effect of this drug is to lower plateletts but we were never notified of that fact. On top of her cold and ear infection, her immunity was already at its low, and the help of this bactrim lowered it to a 2,000 count. A NORMAL platelette count is 150,000. It is my recommendation you RESEARCH this drug and discuss ALL of the facts before going forward in using. I, myself will NEVER allow my daughter to use this drug again. Scared is not even the word for what we experienced. If this helps just one person....it was worth it. Thank you.

Related Reading: ear infection | amoxicillin | keflex

QUESTION

Bowel regularity means a bowel movement every day. See Answer
Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: May 20

I was prescribed Bactrim DS for an infection by a dermatologist. On the 8th day, I developed a rash on my face and felt like I was coming down with the flu. I noticed this before bed and was going to call the offoce in the morning. I woke up at 3 am with hematomas in my mouth. I went to the er and while there I developed petechiae all over my body. I was admitted to the hospital because my platelets were down to 2000 which means I could have had spontaneous hemmorhaging in the brain. In hospital for 5 days to get my platelets to higher levels through transfusions of an expensive substance to fix my immune system. Then on steroids to keep them up. Almost a year later I am fine...but very scary!

Related Reading: bactrim | rash | flu

Comment from: Quest4Lucidity, on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 18

Bactrim ALMOST KILLED ME! I was BLEEDING THROUGH MY SKIN, OUT OF MY EYES, NOSE, MOUTH AND EVERY OTHER ORIFICE! It caused my body to attack itself! My immune system attacked the platelets in my blood. The condition is called thrombocytopenia and there is NO CURE for this PERMANENT AUTOIMMUNE DISORDER! It never helped with my infection either! I wish I could sue!

Related Reading: platelets | thrombocytopenia

Comment from: kalyn, 19-24 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: February 24

It's been almost 2 years since my daughter was prescribed this poison. It left her with permanant damage to her lungs, peripheral nerves, chronic fatigue and diarrhea. She was perfectly healthy before using this horrible drug.

Related Reading: fatigue | diarrhea

Comment from: KDD, 13-18 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 18

I have taken this medication on two occasions for staph infections. The first time it worked great with no side effects. The second time however i had an allergic reaction, i broke out in hives everywhere. be aware that allergic reactions can occur at any time with this medication, even after having taken if for a few days.

Related Reading: hives

Comment from: jmcvh, 35-44 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: May 11

I have had acne for 25 years (36 now) and this is the only medication that has ever helped me. I stopped taking it for a week and acne came back- so it really works in getting rid of bacteria.

Related Reading: acne

Comment from: jendipi, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 23

I was prescribed Bactrim to treat a staph infection on my face. I felt like I was constantly coming down with the flu the entire week I was on the medicine but attributed it to the staph. After stopping taking the medicine on dr.'s orders, I broke out into a rash that eventually covered my entire body. I went to the dr. and was hospitalized to try to flush the medicine out of my body. I also had a high fever and was very dehydrated. I am out of the hospital but still have the rash trying to come back. I'm on steroids and a strong antihistimine to try to counter the effect.

Related Reading: staph infection | fever

Comment from: AlanaJo, 19-24 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 09

Twice this year I have developed severe staph/strep infections around my mouth (I'm immune supressed). The first time I was on a different antibiotic for 17days which didn't make any difference before we switched to bactrim. Within days I started looking human again. This time its worked just as fast, although I've been very nauseous. I've extremely sensitive to side-effects so its surprising I haven't gotten a worse reaction. Even so, it works well enough to be worth it, imo. (I've also been using Altabax for the staph/strep)

Related Reading: bactrim | altabax

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: June 15

Within 24 hours I developed a rash. Had no idea why until I looked this drug up several days into treatment. Rash is spreading all over my body. I stopped the drug immediately. The itching is horrible. I see y doctor tomorrow and will probably have to pay for more medication.

Related Reading: rash

Comment from: a mother, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: December 19

This drug caused a major allergic reaction in my son that sent him to the hospital with hives over 95% of his body,swelling and bad headache. The condition that this medication was prescribed for also worsened. He ended up being in the hospital for five days.

Related Reading: hives | headache

Comment from: Feelingicky, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: February 25

I had a severe reaction to this medication. I developed a bad rash, itching, fatigued, weakness, light headedness to the point of nearly passing out, fever, the worst chills ive ever had in my life, and mild breathing issues. I was otherwise healthy before. I've been hospitalized twice in the last month for on going light headedness as a result of this medication. I realize that each of us has different reactions but I thought I would share my concerns with this med.

Related Reading: fever