Benadryl

Comment from: robin Fairchild, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: November 19

I self-prescribed benadryl for myself due to serious insomnia. It definitely worked, giving me a very good night's sleep. But the downside is I believe it badly trashed my short-term memory. And I read a report on another website that it was indeed potentially quite harmful in this regard. So regretfully I discontinued the benadryl. But it did work quite well when I used it and I am sorry it has had this effect on my memory. On a side note I was prescribed Lunesta by a sleep clinic doctor. It also worked quite well but had a similar effect on memory. So I had to give that up. And now I take nothing for my insomnia and am usually sleep-deprived during the day.

Related Reading: benadryl | insomnia | lunesta

Comment from: gliterality, 19-24 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: November 19

I consistently take benadryl before bed each night. It helps not only with my allergies as the seasons change, but also to calm my 'overactive mind' around bedtime. It allows me to sleep for several hours at a time, allowing me to be less suceptable to waking up every hour or so as I do when I sleep without it.

Published: October 29

Got rid of full body hives, but with EXTREME drowsiness.

Related Reading: hives

Comment from: sleepyeyes, 19-24 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: February 26

Helps me fall asleep. Only thing is it takes up to 30 minutes to kick in. I have taken this drug all through my childhood and still take it now. It is safe.

Comment from: 1sickpuppy, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: August 05

I have a script for Ambien, it doesn't work for me at all. My Daughter gave me some Trazadone and I take half of one and two Benadryls, and i sleep for 5 1/2 to 6 hours. I have been taking Benadryl for about 7 years, and by (2) its self its good for two to three hrs. sleep. No side effects.

Related Reading: ambien | benadryl

Comment from: justaptient, 25-34 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: October 21

i occasionally take benadryl before bed if i have been having problems sleeping and need a good nights sleep. i can justify taking it because i also have allergies and can become quite congested when i lay down at night especially when pollen and ragweed are in season so i have to sleep with two pillows. i suggest having at last 8 hours to rest or you will wake up drowsy. it usually wears off completely after about 10 hours for me. works fairly well for insomnia most of the time but does not always work. but i figure its better than taking ambien or xanax, which are both pretty potent and addicting.

Related Reading: ambien | xanax

Comment from: Chucky, 55-64 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 01

Works extremely well as a sleep aid and general congestion reliever. I'm sleeping 7 pleasant hours instead of 3-4. Downside is I need a ton of coffee to get rid of the fog

Comment from: joedoe, 55-64 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 26

I started to take the soft gels for sleep aid, but I use a knife to punch a hole into the sofe gel and squeeze half of the contents into the sink. Take it 30 minutes before going to bed and I sleep through the nite with 6-7 hrs sleep without any effects.

Comment from: Aunt_Jenny, 35-44 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: December 18

This medication works very well as a sleep aide. I have been using it for years. The only side effect I have had is fog in the morning; nothing that another cup of coffee didn't cure.

Comment from: Hearstoday, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: February 22

1 tab 30 min before sleep. I sleep the whole night through. I wake alert and refreshed. no drowsy waking effects.

Comment from: ocadena, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: February 13

I use the pink tablet which I'm able to break in half. 1/2 hour later I'm sound asleep. Be careful though in trying to skimp and purchasing same as products, ie Waldryl caused my tongue to swell up for 6 hours. Benadryl has worked for me for the past 2 years and no side effects, well except for one good one. I take it before sex, and it helps prolong the pleasure. It desensetizes the senses enough to prevent premature ejaculation. Belive it or not.

Related Reading: benadryl

Comment from: 65-74 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: July 11

I have been satisfied so far but is it safe for regular use?

Comment from: Rested, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: October 28

I have been very satisfied with this drug. It has helped me get a good nights sleep without feeling drowsy in the morning.

Comment from: [email protected], 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: March 02

It helps me to sleep 6-7 hrs instead of the usual 4.

Comment from: [email protected]!$^^, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 10+ years Published: October 26

very effective for sleeping; also as a relaxant. no next day foggy, unclear feelings from 25-50 mg./night.

Comment from: Tina, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: June 30

Severe allergic reaction to new soap. My face was swollen and it worked but I was SLEEPY! It was worth is though

Comment from: trixie, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 16

Does anyone have upset stomach from taking this drug? For people using it to sleep-do you have to keep increase the dosage in order for it to be effective?

Comment from: 13-18 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: July 31

It was like a roller coaster ride with some attributed anxienty

Comment from: Panej, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: July 06

Started having body itch all over my body and was told by a doctor to try benadryl allergy. The relief was almost instant, but got drowsy pretty quickly but would wake up in the morning alert (big plus). Relief lasts for up to 24 hours on just one 25mg tab. Sometimes though, I wouldn't really say whether I'm taking it for the restful sleep or the itching, but I'm please to kill two birds with one stone as I was suffering from insomnia from time to time months before I started taking it. I have been taking it almost daily now for two months and I hope this is fine.

Related Reading: itch | benadryl | allergy

Comment from: diluted, 25-34 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 23

if you are on mood stablizers such as (Zyprexa) and possible taking seudoeffedrine for sinus headache. Be advised : Could cause a dimentia like symptom mixed with sleep disruption.

Related Reading: zyprexa | headache

Comment from: 35-44 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: May 05

Hives from bedbug bites. Benadryl stops the itch for about 4 hours per 25mg pill. The stuff is magic. Histamine causes capillaries to be porous enough to leak plasma, but not hemoglobin. This is where swelling comes from. A histamine blocker like Benadryl (or any diphenhydramine hydrochloride) blocks the hystamine receptors and prevents the reaction. It doesn't cure the reason for hives, but makes the itch go away real good. Plus drowsy.

Related Reading: hives | diphenhydramine

Comment from: vinnythered, 13-18 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 07

Worked really well.

Comment from: Cherylann79, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: June 17

Took this for a week due to SEVERE allergies (nothing else helped!) And I got fast/irregular heartbeats, trouble breathing. So bad I took myself to the Urgent Care and they scripted me Allegra. 1 day w/ no benadryl so far and no more anxiety/hb issues. Allegra is helping w/ the allergies too! Be CAUTIONED if you take this drug. Benadryl always used to help w/allergies and sleep but now it scares the CRAP out of me. I'm only 31 and otherwise healthy so be warned!

Related Reading: allegra | benadryl | anxiety

Comment from: jess_sayin, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 17

I was having headaches every day and sometimes would wake up with a headache. It felt like a tension headache. I started taking 2 25mg benadryl pills at night. Now, I have slept great through the night and woken up without a headache for almost a week now. I don't take any benadryl during the day. The two pills at night seem to last all day. I feel 100% better.

Related Reading: headache | tension headache

Comment from: [email protected], 19-24 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 26

This medication help me get better while i slept although it does make you a little drowsy.