Benadryl

Comment from: robin Fairchild65-71on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: November 19

I self-prescribed benadryl for myself due to serious insomnia. It definitely worked, giving me a very good night's sleep. But the downside is I believe it badly trashed my short-term memory. And I read a report on another website that it was indeed potentially quite harmful in this regard. So regretfully I discontinued the benadryl. But it did work quite well when I used it and I am sorry it has had this effect on my memory. On a side note I was prescribed Lunesta by a sleep clinic doctor. It also worked quite well but had a similar effect on memory. So I had to give that up. And now I take nothing for my insomnia and am usually sleep-deprived during the day.

Comment from: gliterality19-24on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: November 19

I consistently take benadryl before bed each night. It helps not only with my allergies as the seasons change, but also to calm my 'overactive mind' around bedtime. It allows me to sleep for several hours at a time, allowing me to be less suceptable to waking up every hour or so as I do when I sleep without it.

Published: October 29

Got rid of full body hives, but with EXTREME drowsiness.

Comment from: sleepyeyes19-24on Treatment for 5-10 years Published: February 26

Helps me fall asleep. Only thing is it takes up to 30 minutes to kick in. I have taken this drug all through my childhood and still take it now. It is safe.

Comment from: Chucky55-64on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: March 01

Works extremely well as a sleep aid and general congestion reliever. I'm sleeping 7 pleasant hours instead of 3-4. Downside is I need a ton of coffee to get rid of the fog

Comment from: 1sickpuppy55-64on Treatment for 5-10 years Published: August 05

I have a script for Ambien, it doesn't work for me at all. My Daughter gave me some Trazadone and I take half of one and two Benadryls, and i sleep for 5 1/2 to 6 hours. I have been taking Benadryl for about 7 years, and by (2) its self its good for two to three hrs. sleep. No side effects.

Comment from: joedoe55-64on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: October 26

I started to take the soft gels for sleep aid, but I use a knife to punch a hole into the sofe gel and squeeze half of the contents into the sink. Take it 30 minutes before going to bed and I sleep through the nite with 6-7 hrs sleep without any effects.

Comment from: Aunt_Jenny35-44on Treatment for 5-10 years Published: December 18

This medication works very well as a sleep aide. I have been using it for years. The only side effect I have had is fog in the morning; nothing that another cup of coffee didn't cure.

Comment from: Hearstoday45-54on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: February 22

1 tab 30 min before sleep. I sleep the whole night through. I wake alert and refreshed. no drowsy waking effects.

Comment from: ocadena55-64on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: February 13

I use the pink tablet which I'm able to break in half. 1/2 hour later I'm sound asleep. Be careful though in trying to skimp and purchasing same as products, ie Waldryl caused my tongue to swell up for 6 hours. Benadryl has worked for me for the past 2 years and no side effects, well except for one good one. I take it before sex, and it helps prolong the pleasure. It desensetizes the senses enough to prevent premature ejaculation. Belive it or not.

Comment from: 65-71on Treatment for 6 months to - 1 year Published: July 11

I have been satisfied so far but is it safe for regular use?

Comment from: Rested55-64on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: October 28

I have been very satisfied with this drug. It has helped me get a good nights sleep without feeling drowsy in the morning.

Comment from: [email protected]!$^^65-71on Treatment for 10+ years Published: October 26

very effective for sleeping; also as a relaxant. no next day foggy, unclear feelings from 25-50 mg./night.

Comment from: [email protected] Treatment for less than 1 month Published: March 02

It helps me to sleep 6-7 hrs instead of the usual 4.

Comment from: trixie45-54on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: October 16

Does anyone have upset stomach from taking this drug? For people using it to sleep-do you have to keep increase the dosage in order for it to be effective?

Comment from: Tina25-34on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: June 30

Severe allergic reaction to new soap. My face was swollen and it worked but I was SLEEPY! It was worth is though

Comment from: 55-64on Treatment for 10+ years Published: June 26

Comment from: 13-18on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: July 31

It was like a roller coaster ride with some attributed anxienty

Comment from: Panej45-54on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: July 06

Started having body itch all over my body and was told by a doctor to try benadryl allergy. The relief was almost instant, but got drowsy pretty quickly but would wake up in the morning alert (big plus). Relief lasts for up to 24 hours on just one 25mg tab. Sometimes though, I wouldn't really say whether I'm taking it for the restful sleep or the itching, but I'm please to kill two birds with one stone as I was suffering from insomnia from time to time months before I started taking it. I have been taking it almost daily now for two months and I hope this is fine.

Comment from: karlamespi125-34on Treatment for 5-10 years Published: May 31

Comment from: 35-44on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: May 05

Hives from bedbug bites. Benadryl stops the itch for about 4 hours per 25mg pill. The stuff is magic. Histamine causes capillaries to be porous enough to leak plasma, but not hemoglobin. This is where swelling comes from. A histamine blocker like Benadryl (or any diphenhydramine hydrochloride) blocks the hystamine receptors and prevents the reaction. It doesn't cure the reason for hives, but makes the itch go away real good. Plus drowsy.

Comment from: diluted25-34on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: December 23

if you are on mood stablizers such as (Zyprexa) and possible taking seudoeffedrine for sinus headache. Be advised : Could cause a dimentia like symptom mixed with sleep disruption.

Comment from: vinnythered13-18on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: September 07

Worked really well.

Comment from: sue55-64on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: December 27

benadryl stopped the itching, though after taking it i cannot sleep. took 6 pills at intervals and was awake every hour the whole night

Comment from: jess_sayin35-44on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: September 17

I was having headaches every day and sometimes would wake up with a headache. It felt like a tension headache. I started taking 2 25mg benadryl pills at night. Now, I have slept great through the night and woken up without a headache for almost a week now. I don't take any benadryl during the day. The two pills at night seem to last all day. I feel 100% better.

Comment from: [email protected] Treatment for less than 1 month Published: December 26

This medication help me get better while i slept although it does make you a little drowsy.

Comment from: sandi77775 or overon Treatment for 10+ years Published: October 17

I have been taking the liquid Benedryl for many years as I cannot swallow pills. It has the opposite effect on me. I am always wide awake and alert. It never makes me sleepy. I recently tried the chewable product and I can't decide which one tastes worse. The grape flavor is too strong. I. Wish you could do something about the taste. Besides the gel capsule, do you have a tablet that can be crushed and is not flavored?

Comment from: 55-64 Published: November 06

I FOUND I HAD REACTION TO TAKING HYDROCODONE/ACETAMINOPHEN AND BECAME ITCHY WITH REDNESS ON MY SKIN. THIS DRUG HELPED A LITTLE FOR ABOUT 3 HOURS THEN THE ITCHINESS CAME BACK. SLEEPING OK THOUGH.

Comment from: Hoopoe55-64on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: August 15

After trying various other drugs such as Tetrabenazine, Procyclidine, Baclofen, I found this very effective for the control of extrapyramidal tardive dyskinesia at 50mg per day.

Published: August 23

QUESTION

Allergies can best be described as: See Answer
Comment from: ziggy25-34on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: June 09

I work at a resturant where there's many allergens & daily I take 1 tablet w/ coffee or coke to avoid sleepiness. I luv my Beadryl & when I need to rest well It works great. I'll never change.

Comment from: sneezy65-71on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: May 04

It has really worked for me both for my allergies and also as a sleep aid. The only problem as far as my allergies are concerned is that I get very drowsy with this medication, which is not a problem at night, but is problematic during the day.

Comment from: Cathyjean25-34on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: December 27

I was wanting to know if it contains Asprin in the ingredeance. I found out that my step son was itching from chicken pox.