Biaxin

Comment from: marty, 45-54 (Patient) Published: February 22

Just started this medication this week for a current sinus/bronchial infection. Used it before with great results! Just a note: eat 2 yogurts a day while on ANY antibiotic!! one in am-one in pm. Antibioics kill ALL bacteria including the 'good' bacteria that lives in the intestines/stomach. This leads to diarrhea, cramping, etc. Choose yogurt with 'live bacteria cultures' and eat 2 x a day until about a week after you finish the antibiotic. It helps!

Related Reading: diarrhea

Comment from: elsalita, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 29

I had bronchitis for almost 2 months and finally succumbed to antibiotics! Biaxin was chosen because of my penicillin allergy. I noticed that began improving within 36 hours of starting the drug. I also was not informed about the unusual taste which came in the middle of the night. I have not found the unusual taste a problem during the day, maybe because I'm eating throughout the day. I just suck on a cherry fisherman's friend lozenge when the horrible taste wakes me up. I think I may have had looser stools and a bit of nausea at times but nothing to complain about. I would just like to say that just because you have side effects doesn't mean that you should say "don't ever use this drug", we are all different and the next person may have no side effects. from the reading I did, apparently the unusual taste is a side effect for only 7% of people, diarrhea & vomiting for 6%, indigestion & abdominal pain for 3% and headaches for 2%. I am satisfied that the drug worked, obviously I'd rather do without the unusual taste in my mouth, but I would take this drug again if I could not clear the infection myself.

Related Reading: bronchitis | biaxin | allergy

Comment from: lilykate, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 02

I'm was prescribed this medication for bronchitis/sinus infection that would not go away. The medication is working find but I have diarrhia and a horrible metallic taste in my mouth. The bottle warned about the possibility of diarrhia and eating yogurt is helping. There was no warning about the horrible taste. I'm glad I read the reviews here. It helped to know I'm not the only on who had that problem. So far it is worth it, my infection is going away and I am feeling better.

Related Reading: sinus infection

Comment from: whichhunt, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: February 27

If you're reading this it's likely 6:00 in the morning and you haven't slept a wink. I wish for your sake and mine that i googled side effects BEFORE swallowing those pills, but you're probably up right now desperate to know what this thing can do. They worked almost immediately, but the side effects began then too. My mouth tastes like a coinstar machine and no amount of brushing or water washes it away. I suffer from insomnia, but I have the worst case I have ever dealt with due to biaxin. I had trouble falling asleep the first two nights and I chalked it up to the Biaxin gnome with a machete in my stomach-shooting pains, stomach death knells-but tonight after another night of sleeping few hours I have literally been awake all night. My thoughts were racing and I realized after a while that my eyes were actually wide open under my sleep mask. This must be what it feels like to be on a coke bender. My body feels like it's made of pudding and sandbags, but my brain won't shut down and my neck is full of tension, along with my lower back. I didn't get the poops, instead I was constipated. TAKE THIS DRUG OFF THE MARKET. Whatever scientist approved this is a sadist.

Related Reading: insomnia | biaxin

Comment from: smarty77, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: February 08

I was given this for a possible secondary bronchial infection due to flu. I took one dose of 1000mg XL with food and yogurt to prevent GI symptoms. Within two hours I had severe nausea, dry mouth/metallic taste and significant lightheadedness. Overnight I had an actual nightmare (haven't had one for years!). Today I am still extremely lightheaded and miserable. I also have a very strange feeling of despair and sadness and actually thought to myself, "I need to go cry a lot". I am not crazy and I cannot wait for these side effects to go away. I will hopefully heal naturally and will avoid this drug most definitely in the future!

Related Reading: flu | dry mouth

Comment from: amy, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: February 05

Side effects kicked in after 1-2 days and got so bad I had to stop taking the medication altogether. Horrible taste in mouth, severe headaches and heart palpitations/breathing trouble. Had to go to walk in clinic to get vitals checked since my dr. wouldn't 'squeeze' me in to see him. Very scary experienced. Switching doctors and never taking this drug again.

Related Reading: palpitations

Published: December 09

I could not be more UNsatisfied and i will never take this medication again ..i went to the dr because i had a mild broncitis and a sinus infection ..i started taking biaxin and from day 1 i had side effects and throughout my experience ive had many more ...one morning my husband even took me to the er because of trouble breathing and swallowing i had chest pain dizziness u name it i had it im at the end of my prescription and i feel very slightly better however im still feeling the chest pain and chest congestion ..my recommendation DONT USE THIS DRUG!!!

Related Reading: sinus infection | biaxin | chest pain

Comment from: dihard, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 30

Too many side effects. Bad taste in mouth, nervousness, aggitated, short temper and fast heart beat. Will be calling doctor to prescribe something else.

Comment from: Frustrated, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: May 25

After treatments for a year of a Chronic Sinus Infection, I was put on Biaxin and will never take this medication again. I have experienced terrible taste- metallic taste- after day 2. Stomach pain like I had an ulcer that wouldn't go away, trouble sleeping, fatigue, lack of motivation,and mood change/slight depression. Normally high energy, and motivated, this drug completely knocked me off course. Quit taking it and going to another anti.

Related Reading: sinus infection | biaxin | fatigue

Comment from: crillion, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 18

I took this med for 10 days after being treated with another antibiotic that did not work. The metalic taste was AWFUL. Has anyone looked on the under side of their tongue for broken or extremely dilated capillaries? I think this may be where the metalic taste is coming from - iron leaking out of the small vessels under the tongue which have been damaged. Has anyone else experienced this?

Comment from: GVvicki, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 25

I was 17 days into bronchitis and had been unsuccessfully treated with a ZPack when I began taking Biaxin (500 mg twice a day for 10 days). Within and hour and a half of the first dose I developed severe diarrhea and an upset stomach. I ate yogurt to resolve the diarrhea and the upset tummy was gone within a day or two. By the second day I began to cough less and was feeling better. On the third day I had a big relapse but by the fourth day I really began to feel almost normal and my symptoms (coughing, runny nose, etc.) were almost gone. The entire time I took the Biaxin I had a terrible taste in my mouth (almost like chewing up an aspirin). I continued eating yogurt daily and no more diarrhea. This bout with bronchitis was so terrible and long-lasting that putting up with the minimal side effects was well worth it!

Related Reading: bronchitis | diarrhea | cough

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 11

The medication gives you a terrible, almost intolerable taste in your mouth. It is awful.

Comment from: BJM2TAS, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 31

While this medication has been extremely effective, I have had an extremely bitter taste in my mouth since I began taking Biaxin.

Comment from: mizzou alum, 75 or over Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 20

Biaxin is working for my bronchitis, however, the diarrhea is very troublesome. It has also caused my tinnitus to worsen.

Related Reading: tinnitus

Comment from: CZ, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: April 04

I have had just an awful experience with this medicine! It seemed to reduce the chronic cough I had a little, but the side effects weren't worth it. I had fatigue, irritability, stomach pain, diarrhea, and crazy dreams--I even dreamed I drowned my mother!!! I thought I was going crazy or becoming very ill. I was very glad to read that I was not crazy since others had some of the same problems. It might help some people, but I myself would NEVER take this medicine again!

QUESTION

Bowel regularity means a bowel movement every day. See Answer
Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 28

Take this antibiotic if you have to, but please be aware that a severe reaction can occur, which happened to me after 3 1000mg doses. My symptoms were nightmares, irritability, severe depression, thoughts of suicide, anxiety, insomnia, night sweats, hot flashes, confusion, hopelessness, perceived worsening of symptoms including severe sore throat, and hysteria. Just to name a few. Upon calling my doctor to report these serious side effects, as instructed in the directions to do, I was told by the LADY WHO ANSWERS THE PHONE that those symptoms are not possible after just 3 doses. As if I didn't already feel like I was going crazy. I actually had no stomach-related symptoms and had no problem with the taste. I would never take this medication again.

Related Reading: nightmares | depression | suicide

Comment from: BnTx, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 02

This medication was hell on earth for me, and I have never had a reaction to an antibiotic. The horrible taste, constant nausea and diarrhea were much worse than the bronchitis. They were actually worst than the first trimester of a pregnancy. To top it off, I couldn't sleep more than an hour or so at a time for 3 days. Also had a mild panic attack. Switched to Ceftin after 3 days. Much better!

Related Reading: diarrhea | bronchitis | pregnancy

Comment from: Mojo, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 26

I was perscribed Biaxin for Bronchitis and side effect hit me right away. On day one I had diarrea all day. On day 2 I started having stomach pain that lasted all day. On day 3 my hands started to itch and swell up. If I stopped itching my hands would start to ache. My hands were very hot to the touch. In additon to this I felt faint and broke out in cold sweats. When I talked to the pharmasist they told me to dispose of the medication and contact my physician. The doctor on call told me to stop taking the medication and then told me that it was unlikely it was from Biaxin. I have NEVER felt these symptoms before and I am glad that my child and husband were there to help me since I felt dissmissed by the physician. I tend to believe the pharmasist. There is something VERY wrong with this medication. DONT TAKE IT!!!

Related Reading: biaxin | bronchitis | itch

Comment from: my2gymangelz, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: July 01

My daughter was prescribed this for bronchitis & a sinus infection. It tasted terrible and made her unbearable sick with vomiting, diahrrea and horrible stomach cramps to the point she was in tears. I would NEVER reccomend this drug!!!

Related Reading: sinus infection

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 16

Treated for mild bronchitis with a sinus infection. Can't taste or smell, but the horrible, bitter taste is still there. Tastes like poison. Side effects kicked in 3 days after beginning dose, now drinking Pepto to make them go away. Cannot WAIT to get these pills over with!!!

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: July 24

This is day 3 and I am so sick, it is worse than the bronchitis I am being treated for! Horrible stomach cramps, diarrhea, nausea, the shakes, heart palpitations, horrible taste, anxiety attacks, depression and weird dreams. I will never take this again.

Related Reading: palpitations | anxiety

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 21

My dr. told me right off the bat that this medication would taste awful and that she recommends taking it with skittles or chocolate to help get rid of the taste. im allergic to 4 of 5 classes of antibiotics and so far this is going ok. I do itch some but its not unbearable and sleeping is a little restless but its better than infected eardrums. Very few drugs come with no side effects so im please with this so far because hey, its not sent me to the emergency room with breathing problems.

Comment from: dee, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 03

The medication worked quickly; however, as many others have stated the taste that it leaves in your mouth is HORRIBLE!!! Even with food, it literally tasted as if I had I chewed the pill up instead of swallowing even hours after taking it! It lingered FOREVER!!! In addition, I also experienced strange dreams and great difficulty sleeping. Overall, I would have to say that if you're feeling really crummy that such complaints(i.e. taste, loss of sleep) shouldn't matter b/c this medication DOES, in fact, work.

Comment from: patti, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 04

My Dr. rx this medication for me. HORRIBLE!!Do not take this medication unless you really have too. The taste in the mouth makes you sicker then what you went to the Dr. for. I had to stop the medication after 7 taken. My Dr. did not return my call so I hope by not taking any antibiotics now that I can get over this on my own.

Comment from: Jason, 19-24 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: February 08

Miserable stomach ache. Never took again.

Fungal Skin Infections: Types, Symptoms, and Treatments See Slideshow