Boniva Injection

Comment from: Mamaw, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 09

On Monday, Sep 10, 2007 the nurse put the Boniva injected in my arm, but I don't think the Boniva was put into a vein, because on Tuesday my arm hurt, swelled, and had fever to the touch. Called my Dr. and talked to the nurse that injected me and was told to put a heat pad on my arm and it should fell better. But on Wednesday after sleeping with a heat pad on my arm, my whole body ached. Every bone, every joint and all the muscles in my body hurt. Called and went to see my Dr's backup Dr. because it was my Dr.'s dayoff. The backup Dr. told me to put a cold pack on the arm and gave me a prescription for pain pills. The backup Dr. told me to don't go back to work til Monday, Sep 17, 2007 told me to go and see my Dr. soon. Thursday, I went to my Dr. and had some tests done, because my chest was hurting. On Monday, Sep 17, I went back to work and where the injection was put in, is still red and holds fever, but the large area that is red has also gotten hard as a rock. Today is Oct 9, 2007 and there is still hardness in the arm. I'm hoping it goes away and goes back to normal. I will not be taking the injection again.

Related Reading: boniva | fever

Comment from: Jenny, 65-74 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: March 02

I had my first Boniva IV in September, 2007. My appetite was poor, following it, with stomach distress. I was very weak with severe pains in my hips and legs. Unfortunately, I didn't tie these symptoms to the Boniva. I had my second Boniva IV on January 8, 2008. That one knocked me to my knees. By the time I got home, my husband had to help me to the bed. I was having severe abdominal pain and weakness. It is now March 1, and I am still having severe side effects. Added to the stomach and abdominal pain is diarhhea after any thing I eat. A snack or a full meal. And I'm having to deal with all of this with little help from pain meds. I have a pain management doctor, and I have called and asked for his help and to have an appointment. He refuses to give me help and refuses to talk with me on the telephone. My internal specialist says that she doesn't "deal" with pain. I have paid $1,000 out of pocket for each of the IVs. I feel totally abandoned by my doctors. I would get in a pit of snakes sooner than I would ever let anyone give me another Boniva IV. I am in pain 24/7. I also went to my gastrointologist and had a CAT scan and colonoscopy. The pain is so bad that I thought surely I must have something very serious. His diagnosis, when he pulled up the information on Boniva IV, was that all symptoms are rare side effects to the Boniva. The tests showed that I had no condition that would cause these side effect. It's now March 1, so I am looking for at least another month or more of this suffering. I had breast cancer and chemo in 1996. I am MUCH sicker from the Boniva than I was with chemo. And I thought the chemo would kill me.

Comment from: Achesnpains, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: April 15

My first and only Boniva injection resulted in severe, long-lasting side effects. I had a low-grade fever, aches and pains in places I never had pain before. I was nauseated, dry heaving, and had great difficulty walking. I had difficulty swallowing, and I felt inflamed everywhere. Pain would migrate from joint to joint, sharp in intensity. After the three months was over, my doctor switched me to the monthly pill. Unfortunately, the side effects are the same. I will never take this poison again and urge everyone to research this drug before taking it. Get your information from PATIENTS, not the so-called professionals. I am sure that when more males take this drug and report its severe side effects, Roche and the medical profession will decide that, yes, something is very wrong with Boniva. BEWARE BONIVA!!!

Related Reading: boniva injection

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: September 06

I have multiple medical problems-breast ca with chemo x 6 months ,inflammatory & osteoarthritis ,Degenerative disc disease- (my whole spine ) ,fibromyalgia ,lyme arthritis ,diverticulitis and a few more problems i won't go into. After taking the IV Boniva for the 3rd time,my body went into an inflammatory response that i have never experienced! It affected my eyes & lungs to my suprise and fear!! I have never felt this way in my life! I was very fearful for my well being. As i was coping with this,..the most scarey part of the inflammation,...i was also having to deal with the massive pain throughout my body...my doctors were trying to individually treat me....not connecting the dots together as i eventually did! I had told each doctor that the only difference in my life was the boniva i was taking...no one put 2 and 2 together till i did!This has definitely stopped me from ever taking this drug again!!!I can't find anything saying this is a side affect,...but i will keep looking on the internet. It has taken me 2 months to feel better again and i'm not yet back to my old self. I just know it scared me to death and people need to know that this could possibly happen to them!! (By the way...i had no side affects the 1st IV, the 2nd IV i can remember not feeling great-body pain etc,...but it went away after 2 wks,..but it was never like the 3rd time!!!) I will take a chance with my bones and not take the drug and eat more healthy!!! Good Luck!

Related Reading: osteoarthritis | fibromyalgia | arthritis

Comment from: Donitta, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 19

The medication went under the site where injected and burned so bad. Swollen and Red and my hands hurt real bad. If given in the vein correctly you dont even know you got it but if not in the vein very painful. My doctor told me to put heat nothing has helped.

Comment from: 65-74 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: March 14

I've been on Boniva IV for a full year. No problems with side-effects. However, after a bone density scan, I showed no improvement in my bone density; even a small loss. This was very disappointing for me.

Related Reading: boniva

Comment from: Diana, 65-74 on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: April 14

My mother is 87 years old. She has received a # of infusions over the past 2 years. Normally, she has had no side effects; however, this last one on April 7, took its toll. She awoke the following morning with back pain & has continued with severe back pain for an entire week. Hopefully, it will resolve soon; she is thinking that she will probably not take the med. again. Worse than her former rib fractures she says! She hasn't had a recent bone density study to evaluate the progress either.

Comment from: hedwik, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: November 11

I had an awful time after the first IV Boniva infusion, had fever, chills and 5 days of horrible bone pain and weakness. I never thought i would do this again but the doc said... the first time is worst and it will likely be better. NOt. I did not have the fever, chills second time but this is my 5th day of feelin awful, it is improving but i will never do this again. Few years, i bet these meds are taken off the market

Related Reading: fever

Comment from: 65-74 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: July 11

I was taking an oral medication for years, and had no real problems. The ease of the IV drew me to Boniva. I have really severe pains in my shoulders and my arms. The doctor says they are not related. They only started after the first injection so I'm convinced there is a relationship between the drug and the pain. I'll NEVER use it again.Beware Boniva!

Comment from: [email protected], 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: July 07

fevers day of the IV. Now I have a tooth that needs to be taken out, no chance of restoring. I'm afraid of osteonecrosis. Any new info or suggestions. 2 yrs before i was on Aredia for 6 mos& 2 yrs before that Actonel (i lost 4 pts) I'm scared of this jaw death/ please advise of any new info Thanks

Related Reading: aredia | actonel

Comment from: Adriana, 65-74 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: April 02

I have had 3 injections in a 9 month period. I am experiencing severe musle and joint pain to the point I sometimes cannot walk. I also am experiencing breathing pains I am going to halt usage on my own. I was using this for osteopiena

Comment from: Queen, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 26

I had my first and last Boniva IV on Sept. 23, 2010. I was told I may have flu like symptoms for 3-5 days. Well, 24 hours later I had such joint pain I could not even walk. My neck, back, chest, knees hurt so badly. I I had trouble sleeping with pain every time I attempted to move. It even hurt to breathe and I felt like something was sitting of my chest. We called the Dr. and he said this will pass. Thanks, I hope so! It is now 3 days since the injection and my joints, especially knees, are so swollen I have to hold on to furniture to walk. I so wish I would have researched this drug before I had the IV. What is this drug doing to our bodies to give us these side effects and how long do they really last. No one seems to have an answer for any of this. I feel so mad at myself, because I am a person that researches everything and for some reason I did not research this properly. I asked lots of questions to the nurse practioner and she reassured me that the side effects would be mild, if I had any. This is NOT mild and I have beat myself up about this. The pain in trying to walking was just horrid. I am confined to the couch with a disabled husband that needs my help. What a mess. Please do not take this horrible drug.

Related Reading: flu

Comment from: KIKI, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 04

After just taking one Boniva pill, I experienced diarrhea, muscle aches and pains as well as joint pain. It started the very next night and I have had only little relief three days later. My back and joints still hurt and I feel run down as if I had a severe flu. I was reluctant to take this medication and I wish my doctor had disussed potential side efffects more clearly before precribing this medication. A pharmacist informed me afterwards that the medication is very corrosive to the stomach and causes significant side effects in some people immediately and for some people years later. I am appalled that such a medication is given without specific discussion of the harmful effects. From the information I have seen so far it appears that the side effects don't outweigh the benefits for many people. There seems to be limited effectiveness and people are put through intense pains for little benefit. I had Chemo in 2005 for four months and the side effects are similar. With such wide ranging negative effects on the stomach and digestive system, muscles and joints, and potentially more serious consequences in terms of swallowing problems and ulcers etc., this medication should come with prominent and multiple warnings so people can make an informed decision about taking it. I will discontinue it immediately and hope that it has not caused longterm damage. I would not recommend it without extreme caution.

Related Reading: diarrhea

QUESTION

What is another medical term for osteoporosis? See Answer
Comment from: Maggie, 75 or over on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: November 19

ug 2007. In oct 2007 my echogram for heart murmur was ok. In oct 2008 the echogram showed something wrong with the heart. I am now in the process of waiting to see a surgeon for a valve replacement. In Aug 2008 when I had the IV I swelled in the face the next day but it was gone on the second day. I have had more problems with diarreha and swallowing food. Also I have gottenn a terrific pain in the left leg which has been ckd for blood clots. I am wondering if anyone has had the same symptons. It was really noticed by my thyroid doctor before I took my shot in Aug 2008. Thanks

Related Reading: heart murmur | blood clots

Comment from: on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: November 29

I had 3 Boniva injections over a nine month period.The first one was tolerable with perhaps some achy muscles for a brief time. On the second one, shortly after the injection I felt a tremendous pressure rapidly spreading over the chest cavity. It lasted maybe 10 minutes. The doctor dismissed my reaction saying there was no connection to the injection. The third time I had the exact same reaction but also experienced some fast nausea and a surge of water that accumulated in my mouth. Who knows what was in store for me on the forth injection? I gave up Boniva and that doctor. He told me after a bone density test there had been minimal improvement on Boniva. I gave up that poison and now with another doctor I am taking Evista.

Related Reading: boniva | evista

Comment from: lilly, 55-64 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: July 18

I also a fiberomalgia patient...I live with severe pain anyway. no pain pill helps!!! My bone, muscle, & joint pain is so bad now I can hardly get out of bed. I am going to discontiue the iv..........

Comment from: miss emily, 65-74 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: July 10

I have received only one infusion of the Boniva IV. I had been taking the oral Boniva with no side effects. With the infusion I have been experiencing a reaction in my thigh bones of both legs. It feels like I have run a marathon when ever I do anything that involves walking. I cannot find this side effect anywhere to be able to describe it to the doctor. He keeps saying "what does it feel like?" I don't have any other descriptions.

Comment from: Jane, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: March 12

I have permanent nerve damage to my radial nerve due to Boniva. I tried telling my doctor that I was having problems after each injection - swelling, a hard knot, pain, and a hot spot at the site. He said it was not the Boniva and talked me into taking another injection. That was a huge mistake. The medication I have been on prescribed by a neurologist is now losing its effectiveness. The pain is returning, at times my arm goes to "sleep" and at other times I wake up with my arm alternating from feeling on fire to freezing. To top it all off my bone denisty did not improve while on the medication. It actually improved when I got off Boniva and started taking large doses of vitamin D and increasing my weight resistence exercises.

Related Reading: vitamin d

Comment from: Veronica, 55-64 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: January 02

I did not have any ill effects from the boniva injectable, but after taking it 3 years showed dramatic bone loss in the hip. I was told by the Dr. that Boniva does not work on the hip area. He wants to put me on the once a year Reclast injection. The reviews on that scared me, and I havent taken it as yet.

Related Reading: boniva | reclast

Comment from: butterbaby, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: June 20

Good morning, Been in Bed for a week flu like feelings since iv, Im hopeful have pain meds from Doc, I also have Fiberomaligia ( Lyrica and Symbatlta in short term doses really help fibro I swear for me it was god allful none stop pain before in shoulder blade), Osteo score 2.4 ,Arthritis in c4-5-6 in neck ,Crohns Colitis, Asthma. BLA BLA you get the Idea.lol.. cramps and weakness are bothersome with fever for a week, I keep getting in out up Tub so much I stopped draining it everytime even with the pain meds . over all I want this to work . I wanted to try the Forteo but Doc pushed the Boniva. wondering if kickbacks are involved. I am wondering with the Crohns if I will be able to cont as bad tummy aches after iv .My Mom is on Fasamax 5 years and methot, grandma in 90s and they dont give her anything.Any body that can share with me anything thats working god bless us each one

Related Reading: flu | lyrica | arthritis

Comment from: kdcjeep, 45-54 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: September 01

I had my first injection in August 2009...I was on the monthly pill, but the injection was more reasonable...No side effects, and I am starting to notice a difference since I started taking Boniva 8 months ago...I am a patient & caregiver...

Related Reading: boniva

Comment from: kanga66, 35-44 (Patient) Published: January 16

My mother has been taking Boniva for several years now. Before she left for Florida in December, she had a calcium check at my urging. It came back that her calcium was low even with the Boniva. My calcium came back low also (it was 8.1) and my doctor recommended that I take a Tums with every meal. After just over 2 weeks, I had my calcium re-checked and it was up to 9.5. When my mom told me the results of her calcium test, I recommended she quit the Boniva and start on the tums since my calcium increased so much. Since she is paying so much a month for the Boniva compared to what a bottle of Tums cost, I would highly recommend trying the Tums since I saw such an increase in my calcium test. It may not work for everyone, but I saw the results of taking a Tums with every meal for just over 2 weeks in my reports of my calcium. I have already been diagnosed with early stage osteoporosis and will continue with my Tums regimen. I also have an allergy to milk which contributes to my low calcium, but like I posted previously, my calcium has gone up with the Tums.

Related Reading: osteoporosis | allergy

Comment from: Emily, 75 or over on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: January 27

Been on for 3 years. Have had leg cramps, night sweats, digestive probs/poss. ulcer, low Vit D. I have stopped it 2 weeks ago & won't take again.

Related Reading: night sweats

Comment from: Cynthia, 65-74 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: July 13

Since I'm already inflicted with Fibromyalgia, arthritis, asthma and a damaged back from a Horseback riding incident, the effects of Boniva, itself, are VERY convoluted. However, the fact does remain that since its use, I cannot walk more than one block and suffer severe and debilitating pain. Nothing shows up in tests that could be contributing to this 'extreme' change in mobility. Coupled with the fact that there has been no real significant changes in my bone density, I see no reason to continue injecting this toxic, foreign substance into my system.

Related Reading: fibromyalgia | arthritis | asthma

Comment from: Sara, 55-64 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: July 07

I Have been receiving Boniva Shots every 3 months for about 2 yrs.....I have a reaction almost every time. But my last bone scan showed improvement, so I am continuing the shots. This last time I developed a pain in my shoulder blade that feels like a knot that won't go away. It's been there on and off for about 4 days and is keeping me up at nite. I am now considereing stopping the shots because each reaction seems to be getting worse and I'm afraid one of them may become permanet.

Osteoporosis Super-Foods for Strong Bones With Pictures See Slideshow