Butrans

Comment from: Diane55-64on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: June 08

I've been using the Butrans patch for 2 1/2 years and it's helped a lot to ease my pain from osteoarthritis. On a scale of 1-10, my pain was at an 8 and now it's a 3-4. I can live with that. I have almost no side effects other than some fatigue. I had to go off of it for 6 months last year because of an insurance issue, and I went through withdrawals. That was one of my most painful thing I've ever experienced. This medication was tried after all others had failed (including many back injections.)

Related Reading: butrans | osteoarthritis | fatigue

Comment from: rayasunshine25-34on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: November 03

This medication made me very very sick..I started getting nauseous about a day after having it on and I didn't like the way it made me feel so I took it off and began vomiting..I vomited all night and into the next day..felt like I was dying...Obivously Im allergic to it or something...So just be careful when u first start it...

Comment from: John M.55-64on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: September 06

Good pain relief from 20mcg/hr patch. My only issue is it should be replaced every 5 days, not every 7. My relief really drops off after day 5 of the 7 day cycle.

Comment from: Freeborn 55-64on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: October 05

I like the way it works. I was put on Belbuca Film and I got very sick from it. The patch is the same medicine but a lot different type of application. The patch doesn't make me feel sick. I am hoping to get the amount raised to 20 MCH I am not getting enough pain relief. I have gotten my entire spine implanted with a Nero stimulator which helps with the pain.

Related Reading: belbuca

Comment from: Dad45-54on Treatment for 6 months to - 1 year Published: April 18

I started on the 5mcg patch (which did nothing)and worked my way up to 15mcg.I did have one come off and thought I would be ok.It was a rough couple days,I just felt AWFUL.Other than that,I have had a Good experence.My pain comes from my feet from 35 years of factory work

Comment from: IteachJ55-64on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: June 18

It has really helped my RSD pain. It allows me to be a full time mom, wife, friend and teacher. I have had RSD for 46 years and most recently for the last 25 year constantly. Butrans 20 mcg doesn't completely get rid of the pain but takes it to a 3 or 2. If you have RSD, you live for a pain level of 2 or 3. This allows me to sleep. I have taken about everything outside of morphine and oxycontin. The only side effect that I experienced was that about the 4th day I got really itchy around the patch. I would move it at that point and used tape to attach it.Unfortunately after all this, the patch is no longer covered under my insurance... Thank you Blue Cross! I am wading through the prior authorization process... now I'm back to headaches and pain of a 9 in my leg!

Related Reading: butrans | morphine | oxycontin

Comment from: Mrs. L45-54on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: May 11

Female, >50, euro decent; FMS-Fibromyalgia, CFS, Reynauds, hypothyroid, severe OA in my spine, had a PE last winter. and so on and so on. So I’m a hot mess of pain, exhaustion and was in bed most of the week trying many many meds over a few years. Then came Butrans, 5 did nothing, 10, meh, but 20 was enough to get me up and start cleaning the house with breaks. Trust me, I have 4 children, 2 young busy ones at that- this patch allows me to semi keep up in life. So much so that I am in school again FT studying plus running the household with all the kids. My only strong gripe about this patch is that it is NOT WATERPROOF! I suspect this is why it does NOT last 7 days as advertised. This med allows me to control severe FMS pain fairly well. But as another poster said - but as I said, it’s effective for 5 days. Not 7. I’m not sure if it’s wearing it in the shower- but it peters out at day 5 and I have to take double my backup med for breakthrough pain -Percocet 5/325. I’ve tried covering it with duct tape and other tapes- but by day 6, I am slowly feeling some withdrawal and by day 7 I’m a hot mess of withdrawal if I forget to double up the Percocet. Butrans has allowed me to live a fairly normal life, without the need to remember to take the Percocet every few hours. I have a lot of memory problems with FMS and was not controlling my pain well at all just with the percs. For anyone else out there with Fibromyalgia or CFS, I’s Also like to suggest using Baclofen. Not a narcotic . It’s a CNS drug, but it seems to help severe FMS well in the sense that if you take one 1-2x during the day, plus a couple before bed, it helps with the muscle stiffness and exhaustion in the mornings at least. That feeling of “got hit by a truck” we have on waking. Also I suggest Naltraxone. That helps a lot too for some reason- not with the pain really, but the tiredness. Hope I’ve helped someone :-)

Related Reading: fibromyalgia | butrans | percocet

Comment from: 55-64on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: July 05

Comment from: BlueLava55-64on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: January 14

Been on Roxicodone for 8/yrs, due to all the new regulations my PM Dr changed me to Butrans 10...this thing is a pain to put on and keep on your body..makes me feel totally lethargic all day, cant get anything done..it only controls the pain about 50%, dry mouth, nausea and trouble sleeping..I am going to try to get on an ER medication such as Kadian.

Related Reading: roxicodone | butrans | dry mouth

Comment from: Aldo55-64on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: December 19

On lowest dosage and seeing good results after 3 months. Very encouraged. Patch irritates skin after 6 days for some reason.

Comment from: plopfizz45-54on Treatment for 6 months to - 1 year Published: November 03

Terrible drug doesn't work. I'm going to call an attorney or two about this drug. Complicates your life because it is also used to control substance abuse. It can cause new physicians to not want to touch you for any kind of ache or lain youre having. I was on fentanyl from 2002 to 2016, then put on this without discussion from my drs office. This was cruel, it happened because my numbers were never high enough of fentanyl in my system. The changing it every 3 days made taking it on time very difficult. Drs office thought that I was selling my rx or doing something other than taking it. Oh, my life is a literal nightmare since being put on this "medicine".

Comment from: Hurtling55-64on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: December 21

Expensive, and does not work

Comment from: 45-54on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: September 03

It hasn’t helped my pain at all. I can no longer tolerate the nausea and headaches.

QUESTION