Byetta

Comment from: bobbirab, 45-54 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: September 25

i was on this drug for 6 monthes. great to loose some weight 60 lbs to be exact. but it was like a drug induced anorexia. i could not eat .the smell of food was horrific. now i find out i was not supposed to be on insilin while using this drug , perscribed by the same dr. almost killed me whats up with that? !

Related Reading: anorexia

Comment from: tndsteard, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: August 06

I began Byetta 5mcg four days ago. I am your typical resistant bullheaded diabetic -I was absolutely mortified with the thought of needles, scared sick of getting sick, and in complete denial that my blood sugar was out of control. Over ten years I had been given every opportunity to control it with diet, exercise and multiple variations of oral meds. It worked for a time - but unfortunately as all good things come to an end when I hit my 40's - they didn't work any longer and I kept kicking myself for not exercising or eating right. I very reluctantly, still whining and crying and yes - pouting some too - agreed to give Byetta a try and WOW!That is all I can say and I'm a very wordy person as you can tell. I started my shot on Sunday morning with a BS of 403. Two hours after breakfast I was down to a BS of 286 and my nightly BS was 157. They had said you should see immediate results and boy were they right! And here is the kicker - I have not been sick or nauseated one single time - I credit this to my doctor who told me to eat smaller meals at first and to limit my carbs while getting used to the medicine. I already feel better and as much as I was told and didn't believe them - the finger pricks do hurt more than the shots, because the shots don't hurt at all! It took me a full 15 minutes psyching myself up for the first one and I couldn't believe it when I finally took it. The only inconvenience to this medicine is the timing of the shot with your meals and a little bit of heartburn at times. I am having BS's in the 150 to 250 range now and I'm sure I'll be upped to 10mcg at the end of my trial month and I'll start worrying all over again. But for now I am thrilled and thankful for this amazing drug. I hope this review will help you in your decision, because I read and re-read all 99 reviews on here when I knew I was going to be prescribed it. I wish good health and the best of luck to all of you who may read this.

Related Reading: byetta | heartburn

Comment from: janelle, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: September 26

I only had one thing that I wasn't pleased with and that was the nausea,it was very intense for about 2 weeks.then it subsides. It was a great weight loss. I find the advantages of the drug well worth the side effects. I feel that I have more control over my blood sugar than I have in ten years!! I wish I was aware of it sooner. Just not knowing what my high readings have done to some of my vital organs is scarey. I feel now that I'm on the right track and I finally have a peace of mind about my health.

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 02

I've been using this drug for 3 months now and I like it. At first it made me nauseous, but then I learned the trick was to take it 45 minutes before I ate and the nausea went away. I've lost 10 pounds already. It's a wonderful appetite supressant. Since I know I'm not going to be very hungry at lunch, I'm able to make better food choices for lunch.

Comment from: 45-54 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: October 09

dramatic reduction in a1c - from 8.0 to 5.9 from month 6 to month 9 of treatment, after oral meds were losing their effectiveness. Byetta replaced Actos in my regimen (also take glipizide and metformin, plus quinapril for kidneys). At month 9, following the 5.9 a1c, have cut in half the glipizide treatment. Appetite controlled, have lost nearly 20 lb from my starting 230, feel wonderful about that. Patients, don't fear the injection, it's no big deal (no vein involved, just shoot it into the fat LOL). Occasional low-sugar feeling of weakness easily managed (and I'm glad my sugar is occasionally low these days - nice change). HIGHLY recommend Byetta and the endocrinologist who prscribed it for me.

Related Reading: actos | glipizide | metformin

Comment from: Civic04, 35-44 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 22

First let me say thanks to all whom have posted on this website. Knowledge is key. I started Byetta 5mcg twice a day for over two weeks. I already prepared my mind and body for the vomiting and the nausea. The information I received from others was very helpful. For example: Injecting on the thigh can alleviate the side effects and it did. I have not vomited or have experienced nauseous for two weeks. I did have constipation and because of it had stomach cramps but they have subsided. I kept my same diet (not really healthy) but my appetite has gone down and I don't crave late night snacks. Overall in two weeks I have lost 5 pounds. Everybody is different I do recommend Byetta, if your doctor suggests it. Don’t just try it for a few days and quit. About injecting yourself: it hurts more pricking your finger than injecting. Thanks to all Stay healthy. I'll try to keep an update after a month

Related Reading: constipation

Comment from: bloopie, 35-44 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: May 02

Started with A1C of 7.5,after 9 months am down to 4.8. I also started at 425 lbs and am now at 372. 53 lbs lost in 9 months so I can't complain. Some nausea after injecting but I found when I ate slower and smaller amounts that I didn't have the sick feeling as much. For me, the nausea, vomiting, etc. was really about how healthy I was eating while taking Byetta. In my opinion, you CAN NOT take Byetta and continue to eat like you did before--when you do, that's when you get the side effects.

Related Reading: byetta

Comment from: tnjrichter, 35-44 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: October 04

I have used Byetta for almost 8 months and I love it. My doctor & I have spent so many years trying to get by b/s under control and this is the only med that has worked. The only complaint I have is that every pen is different; my body reacts differently. I have learned that the first 2 days of the new pen can be miserable but I learn what and when I can eat. My heart medication has been cut in half and I feel awesome. Thanks to my doctor encouraging me into using Byetta.

Comment from: sweet pea, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: October 04

I have been on Byetta for 14 mo. and i have lost 103 lbs. with hard work and watching what i eat every meal. I wk out at the gym 5 or 6 times a wk. and for 45 mins. to an hour.my son has helped me a lot.

Comment from: Ondi, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: August 21

This is day 17 on Byetta and I have almost no appetite, had no upset stomach to speak of and love the fact that I've discarded prandin, cut my Avandia in half and will soon discard that and 1/2 the metformin. I've been type 2 for more than 30 years. My daughter is a physician and says "You'll never lose weight on those pills. We give them to people and tell them to go lose weight. It's not going to happen." My overweight friend was diagnosed a year and a half ago and put on the usual pill combo and gained 25 lbs. the first month. Then her dr. prescribed Byetta. Over the last year she's lost 50 lbs without any change in her behavior and no increase in exercise. I can't wait to go on 10mcg a day and will put up with whatever the side effects are in exchange for NO appetite and the subsequent weight loss. I'm the only fattie in my family and have been miserable about it for 40 years. Reading all these testimonials has given me a boost. Thanks!

Related Reading: prandin | avandia | metformin

Comment from: Carol, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: February 08

I've been diabetic for 15 years and A1C was over 9. I been taking Byetta for a little over two years. I can't say enough good things about it. At first I had all the normal symptoms but they went away and I lost about 46 lbs and have kept it off for well over a year now. A1Cs have been great - between 5 and 6. Don't plan to ever give it up!

Comment from: [email protected], 65-74 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: November 03

My A1C has dropped to 6 in 6 months. In Jan of 2007 it was 11. I have lost 40 pounds and feel better than I have in years.

Comment from: Sassy 1, 45-54 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: May 09

What a great drug! I had a predisposition for weight-related Type 2 diabetes. In 1987 i started gaining 20 pounds per month so went to doc who checked my thyroid function and then misread it (always get copies of your bloodwork!!), telling me it was normal. Over the next 7 years I gained about 140 pounds and Type 2 diabetes along with Restless Leg Syndrome. After getting my thyroid under control, I started on other meds such as Avandia, which nearly killed me via fluid retention in chest/heart cavities. In the end I was on Metformin (2000 mg daily) and glipizide (5 mg). When these weren't enough, my endocrinologist gave me a choice of insulin or byetta. I chose the byetta and am I glad I did! Have been on it since Nov. '07 and have lost over 45 pounds. Since all this weight loss and blood sugars staying normal, I have been having low blood sugar episodes down in the 40's and 50's. Solid food will not bring it back up quickly because of the slowed digestion process, so must resort to sugar drinks or apple juice. The low blood sugar episodes happen fairly quickly after an injection. It may be time to cut back on other diabetes meds. Endocrinologist fully expects the diabetes and borderline high blood pressure to disappear with enough weight loss. I had some light nausea when first starting, but it went away quickly. Docs advise eating only when hungry and have lost the weight w/o even trying. It does make you feel bloated after eating due to the slowed digestion and feeling fuller longer, but this is acceptable for the benefits achieved. My HbA1c has dropped from 8 to 6.1 in feb.'s check. I have no injection pain due to a numb spot on my stomach from a tubal ligation, just some redness and occassionally a minor skin tear from the very fine needle and not holding it completely still. I do agree with a previous reviewer...every pen seems to be different. One pen was so hard to push I got a lot of skin tears. I love this stuff and can't say enough good things about it!!!

QUESTION

______________ is another term for type 2 diabetes. See Answer
Comment from: Boma, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: October 26

At my last blood check my sugars had been down with no high peaks, I have lost over 50 lbs. I have had a few low blood sugar moments but was told this could happen so was prepared for them. Overall this has been a very effective treatment for me.

Related Reading: low blood sugar

Comment from: MRS CLEEN, 45-54 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: December 10

THIS IS A MIRICALE DRUG. BLOOD SUGAR LEVELS HAVE CHANGED TO THE BETTER AC-1 HAS DROPPED FROM 8 TO 5 AND BEST OF ALL HAVE LOST 35 POUNDS IN 10 MONTHS. I FEEL GREAT AND DOCTOR IS VERY PLEASED WITH MY NUMBERS.

Comment from: Meg140, 45-54 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: October 28

I spent 3 weeks struggling with nausea and weakness when I started on the 5 mcg, then had a week's reprieve before I started on the 10 mcg. Spent another 3 weeks struggling. Since then (about 6 months), it's been great going. My bg is wonderfully controlled; I have reduced my glipizide from 20 mg/day to 5 mg/day and fully expect to come off all glipizide at some point. Still take metformin. Have lost 45 pounds without even trying -- appetite is greatly reduced. Skipped my period the first month (thought I was actually reaching menopause, but no such luck).

Related Reading: glipizide | metformin | menopause

Comment from: veronica, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 04

Although I've only been on Byetta for a month, I've noticed a great improvement in my glucose levels. I haven't experienced any nausea and have less of an appetite. It has taken time to adjust to the injections though.

Related Reading: byetta

Comment from: Bigoldog, 55-64 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 02

When I started on 5mcg twice daily, I got increasingly sick to my stomach, and after 2 week the constant nausea was debilitating. Reading WebMD salvaged this for me. 50% of the first 50 comments reviewed indicated having mild to very severe stomach problems. Two indicated using the leg instead of stomach had solved the problem for them. I tried it. It worked for me! If you have nausea, try putting it in your leg for two days and see if it makes a difference for you. Blood Glucose is improving significantly.

Comment from: [email protected], 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 29

My blood sugars have never been in such good control, however, unlike most of the comments I have read, my nauseau is almost an every day occurance after 3 months. Lost almost 40 lbs so I guess you deal with it if the outcome is successful.

Comment from: [email protected], 45-54 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: March 24

I have type 2 insulin resistant diabetes, I had gained almost 100 pounds, when I started using Byetta I started losing weight. at first I had stomach pain and was sick at my stomach quite a bit and didnt feel like eating, after I had been using it for aboout a month or so I got use to it and have now lost 87 pounds. I feel great. I had gotten over 300 pounds and now am down to about 225, losing another 75 pounds will put me where I want to be. and my sugar level is always good. once in a while it can get to low but I have learned how to hadle that.My doctor is very happy about the results and I have blood work done each time before my next appointment and every thing always looks good.

Related Reading: diabetes

Comment from: pearlz, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: February 19

I was prescribed a cocktail of meds to treat type II DM one of them being glucophage (metformin). I was not compliant with this med because of very uncomfortable GI S.E.'s. I was instructed by my MD to continue taking the med because there was no other med with the same mechanism of action. After changing Doc's and getting an initial office visit HGB A1C at 10.8 the Doc prescribed Byetta 5 mcg twice daily SQ 3 mo. later my HGB A1C was 7.3 WOW!!!! The initiation of therapy can be difficult to tolerate...I stuck with it because I was told those unsaviory S.E.'s go away....Initially I had to take other anti hyperglycemics with caution because my BS crashed---I must eat within an hour of injection. The other SE is Nausea and feeling hypoglycemic I usually had to lye down for 15-20 minutes when the nausea hit. However that symptom would last al most exactly for 1 hour then go away as fast as it came on ...I opted not to increase to 10 Mcg as suggested right away due to these S.E.'s...I found I started to skip the morning injection and would only take the evening dose and go to bed to sleep through the nausea ( for 2 wks). This worked great for me because my body became tolerant. ( Literature states nausea lasts through the first month of therpy) Well--this is correct I now can tolerate taking this med morning and night and DO NOT have nausea mixed with feelings of hypoglycemia any longer..But a S.E., I have noticed is Constipation. I have never had had issues with irregularity..Because this med slows down stomach empty-ing I certanly can understand why this happens. So I have to drink more water throughout the day. Stick with it all....it does get better. Having controlled B.S.'s is absolutely neccessary for a life of qaulity.

Related Reading: glucophage | constipation

Comment from: rdotx, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 22

I have never had any problems with this drug nor any side effects at all. I also take 1000mg Metformin twice a day and watch my diet very carefully and get at least 1hr of walking in a day. I have been taking it for 6 months now and have lost 60lbs and have brought my A1C down from 10.1 to 5.9. So far, so good.

Related Reading: metformin

Comment from: debsue54, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 26

been on byetta for 4 months and have lost 26lbs. nausea was a problem for awhile but like losing weight and feel alot better and my a1c was 5.8 at last count. they need to check this drug out for obesity cause it works on your appetite great. can't eat very much at meals but still works on my diabetes great drug in my opinion

Related Reading: byetta | obesity | diabetes

Comment from: adams, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 17

I was very sick for the first 3 weeks with nausea that has cleared. I have lost 30lbs. in 4mos. My Alc has dropped to 5.9 in 3 mos.

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: May 13

Have been on this medication for just over a year this Thanksgiving. Have lost 85 lbs. Also taking Metformin. Digestive side effects happen when consuming fatty foods (i.e. fast foods) or too many carbs. I have reached by goal weight and my A1C at my last visit was 5.3. Would recommend this drug. You just need to modify the types of food you eat. Also, taking the shot in your thighs minimizes the nausea.

Type 2 Diabetes Diagnosis, Treatment, Medication See Slideshow