Carafate Suspension

Comment from: Teremei, 35-44 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: June 03

I have a hiatal hernia which lead to esophagitis. I seemed to have a remission for about a year when I started drinking aloe vera juice (look in this, it helps acid reflux) but I have a bit of a return of my acid symptoms so I'm back on this medicine which has worked pretty well in the past. Chest bloating, mild chest pain. A little tip to save money, get the cheaper pill form and a pill crusher. It will turn it into powder then just drink it down with some water. It coats the esophagus better that way. And it doesn't taste bad, it just tastes like dry powder, that's all.

Related Reading: hernia | esophagitis | aloe

Comment from: Albus, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: February 11

I have GERD and IBS and have a lot of indigestion and pressure in my chest. This medication has helped tremendously. It takes about 2 weeks for the full effect of the medication, so be patient!

Related Reading: gerd | indigestion

Comment from: backpacker, 65-74 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 04

After 10yrs and 3 ER visits for food logged in my throat and 1 OR procedure I'm now symptom free thanks to 900 Carafate 1GM/10ml SUS AXCA. This is a Liquid. Here is what I do. 1) 1 Aciphex 20mg tablet at 8pm. 2) 1 tablespoon of Liquid Carafate at 9pm. 3) 1 tablespoon of Liquid Rolaids at 10pm. In Less than 1 week almost all my symptoms has disappeared. I hope you get the same results. I'm Free!

Related Reading: carafate | aciphex

Comment from: EGFlorida, 65-74 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: November 17

It works. Nothing else did. Pain relief is wonderful and life-changing. Abdominal inflammation is relieved and getting better all the time.

Comment from: dl2015, 65-74 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: April 20

After taking this medicine for a week, I started having constipation despite Miralax every night, high fiber diet + 8 glasses of water/day. Finally had to quit b/c it "paralyzed" my colon and I was unable to have a bm. It took 3 days of Milk of Magnesia and another week before I was able to go - then developed crampy diarrhea. I will NEVER use Carafate again!!!!

Related Reading: constipation | miralax | diarrhea

Comment from: Jess, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 09

I just started Taking it two days now an have noticed a huge Difference I am so excited not to feel that acid burning an lump that just would never go away

Comment from: relicsssm, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 17

Hard to take so it does not interfere with other medications

Comment from: MtnLady, 45-54 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: March 22

Carafate has been very effective for my GERD and acid relief. I chew the tablet and let it dissolve before swallowing with water. Not bad tasting, kind of has a chalky taste. My doctor suggested this might be more effective and that it will start to coat the esophagus/stomach more quickly. I also take Dexilant, a proton pump inhibitor, for a small hiatial hernia and acid relief. Both these drugs have helped immensely.

Related Reading: dexilant

Comment from: ed, 55-64 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 04

can not get off the toilet.... go every 30 minutes

Comment from: Judy, 65-74 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: April 19

Started taking this drug in liquid form about 2 weeks ago . I have a hiatal hernia (large) was having chest pain and much acid. It has really helped with the pain. Only drawback is constipation which I have to take stool softners for. The taste is bad but it has helped my pain. I am going back to doctor in a week for an EGD to be done then I don't know if he will keep me on the meds or not.

Related Reading: chest pain

Comment from: 65-74 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: July 17

I had pain in my stomach that my gastroenterologis could not diagnose as to what caused the extreme pain. I tried all the usual stomach medications and they never helped. Finally he put me on Sucralfate and my pain has cleared up completely. I used to take it before every meal, but now after a year of taking it before meals, I only take it first thing in the morning. This drug is a miracle to me. I highly recommend it for any type of stomach pain.

Related Reading: sucralfate

Comment from: [email protected], 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: June 18

I have been on this medication for the past 2 months, taking it 3x a day. I have a hiatel hernia and my esophogas was distressed from acid reflux every nite. Since taking the drug, I am free of acid reflux and the damage to my esophogas has healed.

Related Reading: hernia

Comment from: Ruby, 65-74 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 04

I had ulcers years ago and was treated with carafate and healed both of them. I have been diagnosed with gastritis and being treated with prilosec otc but am looking for a cure. Could I cure gastritis with Carafate?

Related Reading: carafate | gastritis | prilosec

Comment from: Duramax76, 25-34 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: November 06

I was diagnosed in 2003 with severe GERD. My Dr. prescribed Nexium 40mg twice a day. The Nexium helped and I was able to go to once a day. I found out a month ago my gallbladder had "sludge" in it and it had to be removed. My heartburn came back worse than before. My Dr. prescribed the liquid Carafate to take with Nexium. It has worked wonders for the reflux. I can actually sleep in bed now. Haven't noticed any side effects except for dry mouth. Great medicine.

Related Reading: gerd | nexium | heartburn

Comment from: ChevyMan1976, 25-34 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 16

I have a hiatal hernia and GERD. My stomach pain was severe, so my doctor prescribed Carafate to take with my Nexium. I've been taking the medicine for a week and it has greatly reduced my reflux and stomach pain. I can actually sleep lying down now. Hopefully it will help my erosions in my stomach heal faster. I have not noticed any adverse side effects except for the dry mouth. That is more tolerated than the stomach pain by far.

Related Reading: carafate | dry mouth

Comment from: Karenda318, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: June 09

I have ulcers in the esophagus and stomach (several) and this medication has help some. I just wish the taste was something better. Maybe like a flavor adder or something.

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 03

I have a hiatal hernia and GERD. I also take a PPI but carafate helps when I have breakthrough symptoms. It tastes awful and makes me slightly nauseous, but it's better than the GERD!

Comment from: Liz, 45-54 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: October 13

I have had Psoriatic Arthritis since age 28, and my rheumatologist prescribed Carafate after my first year on NSAIDs, which were already irritating my stomach. For 23 years, it has prevented an ulcer. I feel it has done me much good since I've had to take NSAIDs so long in order to walk and work.

Related Reading: psoriatic arthritis | nsaids

Super Tips to Boost Digestive Health: Bloating, Constipation, and More See Slideshow
Comment from: [email protected], 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: July 21

I am trying to get info. abt this drug with alcahol, as I drink wine "On Occasion" and only when my gerd is in control. Now I'm having many pbms. swallowing, I have to cut pill in half to swallow, then it is hard to do, very hard to swallow. I was told that I have a Birth defect in my Esophagous, now I can't even swallow food sm'times. My Insurance won't let me buy the liquid form, as it is $$$$. Please help!!!!

Comment from: 65-74 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: July 12

I become flushed after taking this medicine and begin to perspire. Any advise.

Comment from: sandarella, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: August 23

Husband has hiatial hernia so Dr. prescribed to help with the pain and to help heal it when it flares up. Seems to help but takes a few days to work. Hard to take 1 hour before eating but can be taken 1 hour after also which is usually what he does. He takes in conjunction with an acid reducer which seems to help more.

Related Reading: hernia

Comment from: Goldie, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: February 22

Had sore thoat due to severe nitetime reflux - Carafate soothed the esophegus, my sore throat healed and my reflux was at bay enabling me to sleep.

Related Reading: carafate | sore throat

Comment from: TerriBoston, 45-54 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: September 30

Have been on this med for about 6 months for chronic GERD and ulcer issues. Hasn't really helped or hurt me but am not really getting any results from it. Expensive med, thank god I have health insurance or couldn't afford it. Bit better than over the counter Malox but not much. Wish it was more effective.

Related Reading: gerd

Comment from: redheadclipper, 45-54 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: September 23

I have choking symptoms due to acid reflux it can get pretty bad and I use this drug to calm my esophagus and the choking goes away in 10 to 15 minutes. I have been on this since 2003. Recently my daughter started to take this drug for her reflux disease. She found relief within days. I use liquid for rapid results and she uses the pill form for her symptoms.

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 30

I WAS JUST DIAGNOSED WITH AN ULCER IN MY SMALL INTESTINE AND AM NOW TAKING CARAFATE 4 TIMES DAILY. AFTER EXPERIENCING PAIN AND VOMITING...THIS MEDICATION HAS TRULY BEEN A SAVIOR!! HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT.

Related Reading: carafate