Carbatrol

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: April 10

I have been taking this medication for the better part of my life. It does stop the seizures even if you miss one dose. The only problem that I have is the mood swings, irregular monthly cycles, some what drowsy and the water weight gain. The other major side effects like liver problems haven't really affected me. Over all this medication does the job for 11 years.

Related Reading: liver

Comment from: [email protected], 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 20

I am so tired! Fatigue. Persistant sore throat. The capsules are too damned BIG!!! At least Tegretol was easier to swallow. I am also a lot more on edge and anger easier. I am not that type of person. I am generally layed back and easy to get along with. Not so with this drug. I was told Carbatrol has FEWER side effects than Tegretol. News Flash! I have NO side effects with Tegretol, and am having ALL SORTS of side effects with this damned Carbatrol!

Related Reading: fatigue | sore throat | tegretol

Comment from: lou z, 55-64 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: September 15

I use this drug for Trigeminal Neuralgia on the left side of my face and find it does stop the pain. But, I'm having to increase the dosage to 4,5 or 6 times a day depending on the severity of the pain. I don't know what causes the nerve to act up but I have bouts of pain every so often. I usually find that 3 pills a day work for me but when the nerve decides to act up I use up to 6 a day with my doctor's permission of course. I hope this drug works for others with Trigeminal Neuralgia which is a very very painful condition. Good luck.

Related Reading: trigeminal neuralgia

Comment from: rlw46, 45-54 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: September 17

very satisfied. Only in last 2yrs. my low sodium levels have become an issue causing equilibrium problems. Been taking 20yrs or more I am in my early 50's. The Dr. was upset at the sodium issue, however I was never informed this can ever be an issue. Have seen 3 or more Dr's over the years and not one has said this can be an issue due to this med.

Comment from: kennyatw, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: February 19

I have been on this for almost a year. It has been working great taking 400 mg. twice a day. At my last appointment 6 days ago he switched me to Trileptal, 600 mg twice a day. This is not working for me, today I came close to having a seizure the first one in +25 years. I am trying to get switched back. Why can't they leave things alone when it is working?

Related Reading: trileptal | seizure

Comment from: Jay'sMommy, 7-12 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years Published: July 05

This medication has stabilized my son, he hasn't had a seizure in 7 years. But recently had a second opinion because I wanted to find out if he needed to be medicated further since he only had seizures between the ages of 3-4. The 24hr EEG performed showed some abnormalities but not the abnormalities that Carbatrol would address. So now his new neurologist has prescribed Lamictal which she feels would improve his overall brain activity. I am a bit nervous but I am optimistic. I would recommend this medication, just make sure to get blood work done as the doctor suggests and don't be afraid to ask questions or for a second opinion if you feel you need more answers.

Related Reading: carbatrol | lamictal

Comment from: 35-44 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: February 01

Even though this medication has worked for me for the past eight years I have had some sideeffects. My mood constanly changes (actually thought I was experiencing some mental illness).

Related Reading: mental illness

Comment from: michael, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: July 17

changing to this drug gave me back my motivation and drive that have been gone due to other meds

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: February 22

with the right amout of carbatrol the symptoms have almost totally subsided I have had focal seizures

Related Reading: carbatrol

Comment from: bestiscc, 25-34 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: March 06

Seizures are well controlled using this medication (6-8 per year - occuring tri- monthly)from 3-4 per month!! This effectivenss has lasted for 10 years!! I am very satisfied with my results!!

Comment from: bestiscc, 25-34 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: February 16

I am very satisfied with carbatrol. I have 6-8 seizures per year, as apposed to the 2-3 monthly seizures I once was expirencing! Ths medication is very effective in regards to seizure control but it may be strippng me of the vitamin biotin - hair and scalp appear to be dry.

Related Reading: seizure | biotin

Comment from: bestiscc, 25-34 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: October 19

Constant improvement in seizures

Comment from: Vicki, 45-54 (Patient) Published: February 21

After trying other seizure meds that left me feeling zombied out or aggitaed and wanting to hurt people wow this one really works. Litterly no side effects for me. I am now clear headed and seizure free. What a blessing. some of the newer seizure meds were way to potent.

Comment from: Carbatrol, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: September 25

I've had great success with this drug. I was having frequent Grand Mal seizures. Now they occur once every 3 yrs. I'm satified . The only problem i seem to have is, that it's affecting my eyesight. I'm having other side effects with the drug but my eyes are are the most important to me.

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: August 14

Works very well on trigeminal nerve pain.

Comment from: neuronsexplding, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: January 05

Excellent medication. Mostly because it remanins within your blood levels unlike the generic version. However I am fortunate to be on a program because I could not afford this medication retail and my insurance does not cover, not even under a "medically necessary" or via an appeals process. I do need two other medications to control my seizures. Presetnly taking 1600 mg a day.

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: May 03

I have had this seizure for more then 10yrs now, and this Carbatrol is better because i do not have take to many pills i take 2 a day at 300mg a pill and that is good for me. Yes i have put on some weigth but that can be work off.

Related Reading: carbatrol

Comment from: 45-54 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: November 03

seizure FREE for 16 years

Comment from: CarbatrolSideEffects, 25-34 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: February 21

Since switching to timed-release Carbatrol: Experiencing uncontrolled body movements ranging from big toe kinking up; spasm in stomach, hip/s, throat and difficulty breathing during the spasming, eyeballs spasming, inside head spasming, one or both legs raising up and down to exercise without wanting to exercise, left or right arm or both going up and down at the same time, one or both hands shaking fast. There isn't a lot of time in between before the next bout of shaking beings. Over five years time I have been hospitalized many times and told these symptoms are non-epileptic per EEG. Other symptoms: I also get stiff as a board either one part of all and I am paralyzed for up to 20 minutes at a time. Sometimes the symptoms freeze up my eyes or my mouth and I cannot see or speak, etc. I intned to go off the timed-release version IMMEDIATELY as I have had a full realm of "normal" testings and eliminated other causes of my symptoms. The "timed release" version of Carbatrol has brought torture and torment to me. I am in agony and exhausted from all the side effects of ongoing, uncontrolled body movements, paralysis and freezing up, then passing out. One the body movements start they go on for about four hours at a time.

QUESTION

If you have had a seizure, it means you have epilepsy. See Answer
Comment from: dovidsabba, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: August 03

I have been taking Carbatrol for app. 13 years now since I had brain surgery for the epilepsy in 1997. As long as I remember to take it, I remain seizure free. The 2 times that I forgot to take it for more than 2 days in a row, I had a seizure. Otherwise, if I do take it, it works perfectly.

Related Reading: carbatrol | seizure

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: September 02

nightmares when i sleep

Related Reading: nightmares

Comment from: annie105, 13-18 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 25

i am taking this medication for bipolar disorder but it makes me more tried and anious

Related Reading: bipolar disorder

Comment from: cassie, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 30

this medication has been really good as in helping me with my bipolar, i take a pill at bedtime which is easy. however it does make me real drowsy after taking.

Comment from: 25-34 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: January 06

When this medication is used properly, it is extremely effective.

Comment from: carol, 45-54 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: February 12

I've had seizures for 15 years and no drug helped. I had brain surgery and that didn't work. Carbatrol stopped the seizures 100%. I've been taking it for 15 years now with no side affects. Generic carbatrol didn't work.