Carbatrol

Comment from: 19-24on Treatment for 10+ years Published: April 10

I have been taking this medication for the better part of my life. It does stop the seizures even if you miss one dose. The only problem that I have is the mood swings, irregular monthly cycles, some what drowsy and the water weight gain. The other major side effects like liver problems haven't really affected me. Over all this medication does the job for 11 years.

Comment from: [email protected] Treatment for less than 1 month Published: December 20

I am so tired! Fatigue. Persistant sore throat. The capsules are too damned BIG!!! At least Tegretol was easier to swallow. I am also a lot more on edge and anger easier. I am not that type of person. I am generally layed back and easy to get along with. Not so with this drug. I was told Carbatrol has FEWER side effects than Tegretol. News Flash! I have NO side effects with Tegretol, and am having ALL SORTS of side effects with this damned Carbatrol!

Comment from: lou z55-64on Treatment for 5-10 years Published: September 15

I use this drug for Trigeminal Neuralgia on the left side of my face and find it does stop the pain. But, I'm having to increase the dosage to 4,5 or 6 times a day depending on the severity of the pain. I don't know what causes the nerve to act up but I have bouts of pain every so often. I usually find that 3 pills a day work for me but when the nerve decides to act up I use up to 6 a day with my doctor's permission of course. I hope this drug works for others with Trigeminal Neuralgia which is a very very painful condition. Good luck.

Comment from: kennyatw55-64on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: February 19

I have been on this for almost a year. It has been working great taking 400 mg. twice a day. At my last appointment 6 days ago he switched me to Trileptal, 600 mg twice a day. This is not working for me, today I came close to having a seizure the first one in +25 years. I am trying to get switched back. Why can't they leave things alone when it is working?

Comment from: rlw4645-54on Treatment for 10+ years Published: September 17

very satisfied. Only in last 2yrs. my low sodium levels have become an issue causing equilibrium problems. Been taking 20yrs or more I am in my early 50's. The Dr. was upset at the sodium issue, however I was never informed this can ever be an issue. Have seen 3 or more Dr's over the years and not one has said this can be an issue due to this med.

Comment from: Jay'sMommy7-12on Treatment for 5-10 years Published: July 05

This medication has stabilized my son, he hasn't had a seizure in 7 years. But recently had a second opinion because I wanted to find out if he needed to be medicated further since he only had seizures between the ages of 3-4. The 24hr EEG performed showed some abnormalities but not the abnormalities that Carbatrol would address. So now his new neurologist has prescribed Lamictal which she feels would improve his overall brain activity. I am a bit nervous but I am optimistic. I would recommend this medication, just make sure to get blood work done as the doctor suggests and don't be afraid to ask questions or for a second opinion if you feel you need more answers.

Comment from: 35-44on Treatment for 5-10 years Published: February 01

Even though this medication has worked for me for the past eight years I have had some sideeffects. My mood constanly changes (actually thought I was experiencing some mental illness).

Comment from: michael55-64on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: July 17

changing to this drug gave me back my motivation and drive that have been gone due to other meds

Comment from: nhes22045-54on Treatment for 5-10 years Published: October 25

Comment from: 45-54on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: February 22

with the right amout of carbatrol the symptoms have almost totally subsided I have had focal seizures

Comment from: bestiscc25-34on Treatment for 10+ years Published: March 06

Seizures are well controlled using this medication (6-8 per year - occuring tri- monthly)from 3-4 per month!! This effectivenss has lasted for 10 years!! I am very satisfied with my results!!

Comment from: bestiscc25-34on Treatment for 5-10 years Published: February 16

I am very satisfied with carbatrol. I have 6-8 seizures per year, as apposed to the 2-3 monthly seizures I once was expirencing! Ths medication is very effective in regards to seizure control but it may be strippng me of the vitamin biotin - hair and scalp appear to be dry.

Comment from: bestiscc25-34on Treatment for 5-10 years Published: October 19

Constant improvement in seizures

Comment from: Vicki45-54 Published: February 21

After trying other seizure meds that left me feeling zombied out or aggitaed and wanting to hurt people wow this one really works. Litterly no side effects for me. I am now clear headed and seizure free. What a blessing. some of the newer seizure meds were way to potent.

Comment from: Carbatrol35-44on Treatment for 5-10 years Published: September 25

I've had great success with this drug. I was having frequent Grand Mal seizures. Now they occur once every 3 yrs. I'm satified . The only problem i seem to have is, that it's affecting my eyesight. I'm having other side effects with the drug but my eyes are are the most important to me.

Comment from: 35-44on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: August 14

Works very well on trigeminal nerve pain.

Comment from: neuronsexplding45-54on Treatment for 5-10 years Published: January 05

Excellent medication. Mostly because it remanins within your blood levels unlike the generic version. However I am fortunate to be on a program because I could not afford this medication retail and my insurance does not cover, not even under a "medically necessary" or via an appeals process. I do need two other medications to control my seizures. Presetnly taking 1600 mg a day.

Comment from: 55-64on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: May 03

I have had this seizure for more then 10yrs now, and this Carbatrol is better because i do not have take to many pills i take 2 a day at 300mg a pill and that is good for me. Yes i have put on some weigth but that can be work off.

Comment from: 45-54on Treatment for 10+ years Published: November 03

seizure FREE for 16 years

Comment from: CarbatrolSideEffects25-34on Treatment for 5-10 years Published: February 21

Since switching to timed-release Carbatrol: Experiencing uncontrolled body movements ranging from big toe kinking up; spasm in stomach, hip/s, throat and difficulty breathing during the spasming, eyeballs spasming, inside head spasming, one or both legs raising up and down to exercise without wanting to exercise, left or right arm or both going up and down at the same time, one or both hands shaking fast. There isn't a lot of time in between before the next bout of shaking beings. Over five years time I have been hospitalized many times and told these symptoms are non-epileptic per EEG. Other symptoms: I also get stiff as a board either one part of all and I am paralyzed for up to 20 minutes at a time. Sometimes the symptoms freeze up my eyes or my mouth and I cannot see or speak, etc. I intned to go off the timed-release version IMMEDIATELY as I have had a full realm of "normal" testings and eliminated other causes of my symptoms. The "timed release" version of Carbatrol has brought torture and torment to me. I am in agony and exhausted from all the side effects of ongoing, uncontrolled body movements, paralysis and freezing up, then passing out. One the body movements start they go on for about four hours at a time.

Comment from: dovidsabba35-44on Treatment for 10+ years Published: August 03

I have been taking Carbatrol for app. 13 years now since I had brain surgery for the epilepsy in 1997. As long as I remember to take it, I remain seizure free. The 2 times that I forgot to take it for more than 2 days in a row, I had a seizure. Otherwise, if I do take it, it works perfectly.

Comment from: 45-54on Treatment for 5-10 years Published: September 02

nightmares when i sleep

Comment from: annie10513-18on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: March 25

i am taking this medication for bipolar disorder but it makes me more tried and anious

Comment from: cassie25-34on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: January 30

this medication has been really good as in helping me with my bipolar, i take a pill at bedtime which is easy. however it does make me real drowsy after taking.

Comment from: 25-34on Treatment for 10+ years Published: January 06

When this medication is used properly, it is extremely effective.

Comment from: carol45-54on Treatment for 10+ years Published: February 12

I've had seizures for 15 years and no drug helped. I had brain surgery and that didn't work. Carbatrol stopped the seizures 100%. I've been taking it for 15 years now with no side affects. Generic carbatrol didn't work.

Comment from: Lawrence35-44on Treatment for 10+ years Published: August 18

I've been taking this for 10 plus years and have remained seizure free up until a couple days ago. I was getting in the habit of ignoring my triggers and I also wasn't taking my pills exactly 12 hours apart. I learned my lesson and will be more careful now.

QUESTION

If you have had a seizure, it means you have epilepsy. See Answer
Comment from: 35-44on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: January 01

use for TN the medication works great but i hate the side effects which are slurred speech, confusion, blurry vision, sometimes the meds make me feel like i'm slow and and i foreget things real quick but i rather the side effects than the TN pain.

Comment from: candy45-54on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: December 04

This med is very effective in soothing my trigeminal neuralgia. Opiates do not work for this pain. I have had zombie like side effects the first round of treatment. Not as bed on this, my second round, except at the higher doses. I will be sleepy and minor motor problems. On a high dose or when changing doses be careful driving! The other largest side effects are esp. vivid dreams. VERY VIVID. Both good pleasant dreams and nightmares. Incredibly detailed and real. I have PTSD though and the nightmares, some of them have left me in tears they were so intense. Definitely noticed difference before and after and then again when starting it 2nd time. Surprised this is not more of a controlled substance, I could see potential for abuse among those who like to get a mellow high. It is a potent drug though and I would not mess around w it. I think it is important to keep your blood level stable to avoid breakthroughs. I am a chronic pain patient who has been on morphine for 6.5 years and the TN pain makes me cry like almost no other. It is a miracle to be able to get such effective relief. I also have some bipolar issues but am not sure how much the drug helps w that. I am still very labile in my moods.

Comment from: TB13-18on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: August 25

I suffer from Bipolar and have been resistent to antipsychotics and antidepressiants. Since taking Carbatrol my modd swings have been less frequent and less severe. When i get mood swings they are no where near as violent and quick and are shorter. Currently trying a different antipsychotic to help control my symptoms 100% But without my carbatrol id probably be in a mental home right now.

Comment from: NPW35-44on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: November 27

I have suffered with facial nerve pain for the last 13 years dew to TMJ surgery. A screw from one of the plates is hitting a nerve. When I get a sinus infection the pain is so bad I can just scream. I have been on Lyrica and I have taken every kind of pain pill from davacet, Lortab, vicadon ect.... And I have been to all kind of doctors. Finally last year a neurologist put me on Carbatrol. This medicatio has helped me so much. I think I would not have made it another year with out some relief. Carbatrol has saved my life. I take 400mg in the morning and 4oomg at night and this seems to be woking well. I have had no serious side effects so far. Praise the Lord something has finally helped.

Comment from: TopsinMN35-44on Treatment for 5-10 years Published: March 30

I take one 200 mg capsule three times a day. I love it. It is extended release, so it works evenly in my system throughout the whole day. It has controlled my simple partial seizures for the last seven years now. I have participated in two separate studies so far and would do more if asked. The drug maker is trying to make a liquid form to give to people not able to take on their own. This is really a great drug. It seems to do better than the phenobarbitol I was on as a child.

Comment from: Belinda35-44on Treatment for 10+ years Published: October 24

I have been on this medicine for about 12 years and it has worked great where other medicines have not. I have lost some hearing which now I have learned is a side effect.

Comment from: Gordo35-44on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: October 12

I've had only a few KNOWN grandmak seizures, due to a Closed Head Injury. After the first I was given Dilantin. That was a hideous experience! I have poor memory from my THI, and it made it worse! But now that I had another, and was given Carbatrol, I feel perfect! No Seizures, my memory is better, and I am not drowsey all day!

Comment from: domie19-24on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: November 12

Comment from: lorianne45-54on Treatment for 6 months to - 1 year Published: November 04

I have had problems with dizziness, double-vision and an increase in the medication is required to maintain the same control.

Comment from: 25-34on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: June 02

Comment from: Contributer45-54on Treatment for 10+ years Published: August 29

Caused low blood counts. Ongoing severe drop in WBC, severe drop in platelets and in sodium. Bone marrow poisoning. This progregressively got worse after 10 years of taking. Was taking 700 mg twice a day for 16 years. Had to be weened off in hospital when platelets and wbc reached a critical level. My advice is to not start this drug or you might be sorry. It did control seizures but not worth the bone marrow poisoning side effect. Type of seizures was always tonic clonic grand mal. This is scary stuff!

Comment from: 65-71on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: October 04

This medicine has stopped the pain from trigeminal neuralgia. I do get side effects that vary, but I just take them as they happen, nothing severe compared to the pain! The surgerys scare me and I hope to be able to use this medicine indefinately.

Comment from: Mallard75 or overon Treatment for 1-6 months Published: June 19

Not effective for my Neuropathy...side effects are severe..extreme fatigue an lifgt-headedness

Comment from: akalocsa25-34on Treatment for 5-10 years Published: February 09

i have been on carbatrol for about 6 years now. i used to be very laid back and easy gong, this med has made me a bit more uptight, my fuse is shorter. it has stopped my convulsive seizures but i still have "silent" seizures, especially around that time of the month. i tried to change meds once and went off carbatrol for about a week, wow, what a mistake. i have never been so depressed in all of my life, so terribly depressed. i think that i may be addicted to it. scary thought.

Comment from: 65-71on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: September 06

clumps of hair loss

Comment from: 35-44on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: November 14

I've only been on Carbatrol for 2 mo's now & it seems to be working. I had brain surgery 15 yrs ago to remove a blood clot, was put on Dilantin to control seizures, but after 5 years it quit working for me. Now I take Lamictal and 'average'1 grandmal a year with a few 'petite's' here & there. I started having really bad anxiety attacks and was prescribed Xanax but I ended up taking that more than I wanted just to feel 'normal'. So I was just prescribed Carbatrol and I'm already taking less than half of the amount of Xanax I had been. I don't get the attacks I was having so I'm weaning myself of the Xanax. Plus it can't hurt taking an additional anti-seizure med...BUT be carefull when you first start taking this! I take 2 a day (am & pm) but when I first started-the 1st 2 days, I was crashing into walls, dizzy turning my head when I was sitting! Felt like my heart rate was about 12 and felt like I HAD TO MAKE myself breathe! Scary, so I took 1 a day at night for a week, so my body could get used to it then started taking them 2x a day and I feel perfectly normal now.

Comment from: arabian knight45-54on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: November 11

Comment from: monster35-44on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: October 24

i am on this medication for bipolar and am having major mood swings hitting walls and throwing things and thoughts of suicide, my neck also itches. not working well at all. crying all the time.

Comment from: 13-18on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: August 18

This drug has helped me a great deal! I had a brain tumor removed which caused some mild seizures. I am doing great now!

Comment from: Jona19-24on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: June 08

This medication helped me get through my life

Comment from: lebell9235-44on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: April 26

This MEdication did not work for me. Just showed no results. But what is the difference in brand or Generic? Generic has never worked for me.I am on LYRICa now .seem to be doing fine so FAR!!

Comment from: [email protected] Treatment for 1-6 months Published: April 19

SUPERIOR OBLIQUE MYOKIMEIA[ DOUBLE VISION -[VERTICAL]

Comment from: adjubar45-54on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: February 17

It makes my poop green. I smeared some on the mirror at work and eveyone thought it was halarious. Beside that, I feel pretty good. I might not take more once this bottle runs dry

Comment from: carbatrol3-6on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: July 11

age 5 years some pros but more cons after 6 weeks.overly agressively friendly.loud,stuttering,appitite better

Comment from: bev66665-71on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: March 16

Used for 2 1/2 years for horrific trigeminal neralgia. Now having erectile dysfunction. Off it for 4 months now. Will the ed reverse?

Comment from: what the h55-64on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: April 03

severe skin reaction. Blisters all over body swelling of the face and inside of mouth which turned into blisters. painful and symptoms lasted for days

IMAGES

See Images
Comment from: kk200919-24on Treatment for 5-10 years Published: February 14

I took tegretol for a long time after I had brain surgery in 1999. I have been taking this drug for 7 years now and have seen good results. I take 6 pills a day including this one.

Comment from: pratt75 or overon Treatment for 1-2 years Published: August 03

severe trigeminal neuralgia(severe pain from jaw line upwards to temple area)

Comment from: 35-44on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: June 27

just learning

Comment from: Kayla659513-18on Treatment for 10+ years Published: May 21

it helps me control my anger sometimes, but when i get angry, its horrible.! when i get happy, its extreme. i think that it will help me for a certain period of time, and then when i can't take it anymore, everything hits me to the extreme. and i think it helps me sleep a little better at night. maybe. i don't know.

Comment from: 19-24on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: May 04

overall works fine, main side effects ive seen are headaches, some worse than others. also has contributed to a dry scalp, other than that its definitely helped with seizure control.

Comment from: 25-34 Published: February 09

great decrease in energy.rash on sides and underarms.no seizures in 12 years.seems to have beee n a miracle drug for me.

Comment from: dangerboy35-44on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: August 09

Taking this as a mood stabilizer. dont really feel any different

Comment from: 45-54on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: December 16

I have bi-lateral hemi-facial spasms. When I first tried this drug in higher dosages it worked very well, but the side effects of body pain was more than I could take. The spasms cause me no pain so the trade-off was not worth it. Now I am using a lower dose in combination with Botox shots with mixed results. The spasms have decreased somewhat, but will never go away.

Comment from: 55-64on Treatment for 5-10 years Published: December 11

I have been prescribed this drug for cluster headaches. I only take the drug when I am having the headaches. I have found that taking this prescription before flying prevents cluster headache occurrances. Keeping a headache diary pinpointed when a cluster headache cycle began;that is how I was able to determine one of the triggers. My neurologist was the one who suggested taking Carbitrol two weeks before flying.

From WebMD Logo