Catapres

Comment from: bbgirl, 65-74 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: May 21

Have been on the drug for several yrs, ( .1 at 2 times a day). Within an hr. after taking I am either asleep or fighting to stay awake! Voice hoarse, constantly clearing throat, dry mouth, weakness, lethargic, nightmares. BP sometimes drops too low. Was in hospital for arrythmia, DR. stopped my Catapres suddenly and after two days my BP spiked dangerously high...had to go back on it immediately. Am sensitive to meds & this does control my BP but side affects are troublesome. Effectiveness appears to be wearing off the last few months for BP control. Muscle cramps and nightmares are increasing. I also take Norvasc and took Cordorone for about 6 years (have been taken off this one for arrythmia but is taking months to get it out of my system....been off 8 months). Cordorone affected my thyroid, teeth & gums, hair, muscle tone, stomach, reflux..... bad drug over time..wish I had known. I ask more questions now and am more persistent with DR. concerning my own observations concerning meds and side effects. I keep a brief diary and it has been SO helpful to recognize a pattern developing while taking meds and/or symptoms.

Related Reading: dry mouth | nightmares | catapres

Published: March 28

I have suffered terribly from hot flashes and interupted sleep. This medication beginning with the first dose has eliminated all my post menupausal symptoms.I recommend catapres to all menupausal women.

Related Reading: hot flashes | catapres

Comment from: MyHeadHurts, 55-64 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: October 10

I have severe high blood pressure and always used Catapres just for emergency use, disolving it under my tongue. I take 40 mg. Lisinopril and a diuretic daily. I am tired of having emergencies and was finally given the patch. I thought this would be the end of these daily episodes but my blood pressure is as high as ever. I have the patch 0.2 mg., I had to take two more 0.2 tablets throughout the day, plus a Lisinopril and a diuretic and my BP is now 240/110. I am at the end of my rope.

Related Reading: high blood pressure | lisinopril

Comment from: sandy, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: August 10

This has to be the worst drug I have ever taken for blood pressure.I feel like I am a zombie,severe burning headaches,insomnia,tiredness,and general overall not feeling well.I am being weaned off of it and will never agree to take it again..Horrible,life changing side effects...Think twice...

Related Reading: insomnia

Comment from: efittery, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 03

On and off over the years I have taken this drug. I have taken it in its patch form and as a pill. My results were: When I first use the patch or take the pill it effectively drops my blood pressure. The side effects are so bad that I can't do my work. Falling asleep while trying to write computer code doesn't exactly make my boss happy. After I have been taking the medication a few weeks, it has less of an effect on my blood pressure. I remember one instance when at the doctors they took my blood pressure. They said 175/110 was too high, put me in a dark room and started feeding me 0.1 mg clonadine tablets. They did this on the hour for 4 hours. At the end of that time, they let me go and my BP was 165/115. I guess I just built up a resistance to it. By the way, there is a machine by the name of BioZ that can and is used to diagnose WHY you have high blood pressure. Just do a internet search for "BioZ hypertension" and you will find it. I like wikipedia myself.

Comment from: diamondgirl, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: May 11

started conidine for emergency HBP after reaction to steriod and discovered that a very low dose 1/2 of.1 mg. pill twice a day controlled my fluctuating BP (from underlying anxiety)and rapid pulse. after 5 mo. I am very tired of putting up with side effects, mainly tiredness and drowsiness(I take other meds that cause sleepiness). Being menopausal, I actually get MORE hot flashes and a stinging feeling around my head. I also think it makes my fibromyalgia worse or at least adds joint pain to it. and then there is the itching (which is a transient symptom of FMS but seems more often especially if I throw a new or different drug in the equation.) It just has many side effects. I intend to try to ween off it but all antihypertensives have their side effects and often don't work. just bang my head against a wall! I am hypersensitive to drugs and very discouraged as I sit here itching!

Related Reading: anxiety | fibromyalgia

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: May 31

Was prescribed 0.2 mg. 2x daily. Taken for over 2 yrs. I hate feeling tired, no libido, wt. gain and overall feeling of lethargy. Dr. trying to wean me off with 0.1mg am and added 2.5 mg Norvasc am. Not too bad, some withdrawal symptoms but tolerable. DCEd am catapres and added 2.5 more Novasc. Someone SHOOT ME. The withdrawal symptoms are horrific! Dizzy, headaches, pounding heart, insomnia, anxiety, and depression. My Dr. states that they will go away hopefully within a few weeks, if I stay sane through this process. Hate to think what will happen when I go off the pm catapres. WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WOULD EVEN RECOMMEND THIS HORRIBLE DRUG!

Related Reading: norvasc | catapres | insomnia

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: January 27

My high blood BP readings started one day just over a year ago. After trying 9 medications with side effects to severe for me to handle, I was prescribed clonidine. I started out with one 0.1 mg per day which was then increased to 2 pills per day (0.1 mg) and am now taking 3 pills per day (0.1 mg). This new dosage is working well but I hate to be on this medication after reading that it can cause glaucoma. The problem for me is that I'm one of those patients who is allergic to many medications and clonidine is the only one I can handle. My side effects are dry mouth and chest discomfort with pain down my left arm from time to time but compared to the severe migraines, diarrhea and dizziness while on 9 other BP meds, this one is fantastic. I would just caution people to research the glaucoma side effect. Glaucoma leads to blindness. Is there anyone out there who has found a similar anti-hypertensive high BP medicine with fewer side effects? Most high BP meds have terrible side effects including eventual kidney damage and diabetes. Surely there must be something safer out there for us to use!!

Related Reading: clonidine | glaucoma | dry mouth

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: February 13

Lots of trouble sleeping. Had to ask for sleeping meds. Quit taking catapres after one month.

Comment from: Sterling, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: June 04

I was prescribed to supplement other med for high blood pressure. I was recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. I was put on oral Meds and began using meter to check my levels. Was already restricting carbs and exercising. Discovered my levels were consistently normal 2 hrs after lunch, dinner and at bedtime, but upon rising and 2 hours after breakfast were extremely high. I only took Clonidine at bed time. Googled and found several articles suggesting this adverse result. Did not find it in most posts. Eliminated dose one night and following morning blood sugar normal. As Clonidine was not controlling bp well I will seek other solutions. I'll continue testing blood sugar for a while but looks like I wasted $$$ on dietitians, Meds and testing supplies.

Comment from: Keith, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: August 21

I take this to help lower my Blood Pressure, It made me very sleepy, and caused my muscles to be very tired. Took a lot of energy just to step up onto a curb. I now take it at night , so my days will be clear. Hasn't done a lot for my Blood Pressure. I would not buy another prescription.

Comment from: Pete, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 24

The single most quality of life destroying drug I have ever taken. I was on 8 other BP meds but when the Doc added this one My BP remained high but I was afraid to go down the stairs I was so unsteady. I was always terribly tired, dizzy, nauseated, I felt like I was in a continual narcotic withdrawal. I read for some it works but for me it was a nightmare and the first drug I have ever refused.

Comment from: zemia, 55-64 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: January 10

I was diagnosed with high blood pressure some 20 yrd ago and started on Catapres. Since then I've changed PCP's and they have tried to change me from Catapres to the "new" drugs only to have my BP get out of control. The generic seems to work, though not as well as the original name brand. If anyone is having with feeling tired, I suggest talking with your dr about adjusting your dosage to maybe twice a day instead of once as Catapres lowers your BP quickly. Since I've taken it for such a long time, I monitor my BP and adjust the dosage when necessary.

Related Reading: catapres

QUESTION

Salt and sodium are the same. See Answer
Comment from: rongav, 45-54 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 17

Been on for 2 weeks and has helped lower the bp but makes me very tired. Hopefully will adjust to it soon and not be as tired.

Comment from: epa, 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: July 18

i was having breakthrough hypertension at work; my doctor added catapres .01 2x/day or as needed. it work well and quickly to drop my BP. side effects: i get terrible dry mouth from it for about 3 hours once it starts to work, and have noticed that my heartrate quickly speeds up with exercise, which is disturbing. despite the side effects, i still find it a great drug for breakthrough hypertension.

Related Reading: catapres | dry mouth

Comment from: MJ, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: April 19

-Nearly eliminated libido. -Resting heart rate is 48-54. -B/P usually 136/82, was 180/100 before taking medication. -Only take one pill at night 0.2 mg. -Completely stopped smoking cold turkey, no withdrawal, no cheating, from 2 packs per day.

Related Reading: smoking

Comment from: [email protected], 75 or over on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: December 01

I have high blood pressure and I take Catapres to control my blood pressure. I have adverse effects with other types of medicinal blood pressure medications. My doctor told me to get Taurine at the vitamin store. Is the combination of these two types of medications safe to take?

Related Reading: high blood pressure | catapres | taurine

Comment from: blondee, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 01

I have taken this medicine to help coming off of narcotic pain medication, and it has made me extremely light headed and if I bend over, I feel like I will pass out.

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 02

I have extremely high blood pressure and have also been diagnosed with nuerally mediated syncope due to atrial dissection caused by a motorcycle wreck I was in back in March of 2008. I just began this medication to control my high blood pressure and my syncope. I take this twice per day at exactly the smae time everyday which can be a bit of a hassle. My doctor intends to put me on the patch form of this medication once we are sure that this is actually working for me.

Comment from: Blaise, 19-24 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: March 21

When I was young, I took this drug in order to treat tics caused by Tourette's Syndrome, and it worked exceptionally well. It also had the wonderful side effect of inducing nearly irresistible drowsiness. I would even say that it is significantly more effective for inducing sleep than any benzodiazepine or eszopicline derivatives currently on the market.

Comment from: [email protected], 35-44 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: November 04

drowziness, and moral detachtment

Comment from: chris, 55-64 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: February 08

Works, but side effects take getting used to. I can't take diuretics or beta-blockers, and this is the most effective at controlling blood pressure of everything I've tried. Dry mouth and eyes are the worst side effects, but these are easily mitigated. If you're not used to it, though, that first pill will hit you like three martinis.

Related Reading: diuretics | dry mouth

Comment from: 65-74 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 08

Have swollen feet all the time now I'm starting to bruise all over and b/P has NOT been reduced even after increase in dosage hate these meds won't take diuretic because of recent kidney stones

Related Reading: kidney stones

Comment from: Belak, 3-6 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 17

Clonidine HCL 0.1 mg. This drug was prebscribed for the sole purpose of helping my 4 year old son get to sleep and stay alseep through the night: 1st night 1/2 tab, no help: 2nd night whole tablet slept then seepwalked and voice rambling: 3rd night whole tablet no help: 4th night whole tablet slept but woke up crying an hour later and would no stop for over an hour and did not know his Mom for most of this time! Up until I came to this website I never heard of this drug or that it could be used for sleep deprivation and this site does not mention this drug for sleep deprivation either!!!

Related Reading: clonidine

Comment from: weesy55, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: May 06

I feel even though it has helped my high blood pressure & hot flashes(alot)that I am having alot of side effects. I get very dizzy my whole body aches alot,headaches bone nerve and muscle pain.

Related Reading: high blood pressure | hot flashes