Ceftin

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: April 01

I was on amoxil for a sinus infection when it came back I had nasty sore throats every night which were gone within 24 hours of beginning this medication. It does taste horrible but I found a suggestion on another site to coat the pill in honey which works great. I don't taste the bitterness at all. It is a little rough on my stomach if I take it with milk or yogurt it seems to stop me from having stomach pains.

Related Reading: sinus infection

Comment from: A Patient, 13-18 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 20

I had a very bad cough and my doctor prescribed me Ceftin. This drug is amazing and i felt better within a day. I neve felt nauseous and i never got sick once or had a bad reaction. Unfortunately i did hate the taste and had problems taking it with water, but taking it with milk is my reccomendation as it makes you feel better fter you take it.

Related Reading: cough | ceftin

Comment from: rhinolady, on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 03

My otolaryngologist originally prescribed ceftin for me before sinus surgery. The pharmacy gave me generic ceftin before sinus surgery (10 days twice a day). No noticeable effects. After the sinus surgery, the pharmacy gave me generic ceftin again (14 days twice a day). I developed colitis (ER diagnosis). Gastroenterologist then prescribed vancomyacin and a probiotic (postop)which stopped the severe diarrhea. People need to be aware and prepared for this type of side effect!!!

Related Reading: ceftin | colitis | diarrhea

Comment from: Cefuroxime, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: February 02

I am an allergy sufferer (dogs, mold, 3 types of weeds such as pigweed, dustmites, etc) and was prescribed this medication by my Allergist. Thus far it has helped and would recommend it for anyone who suffers from a bacterial allergy...

Related Reading: allergy | mold

Comment from: [email protected], 65-74 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: August 21

The RX helped the sore throat, but it caused a fungus in my throat. It has made me unable to eat for several weeks. Food taste terrible. Also I have lost 6 pounds. I have had a slight fever and chills off and on.

Related Reading: sore throat | fever

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: August 31

Was on Augmentin for 6 days and was getting progressively worse, my throat almost swollen shut, I starting feeling better after one day on this medication. Tastes horrible but well worth it!

Related Reading: augmentin

Published: November 02

easy on the stomach, unlike some antibiotics

Comment from: copperpenny, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 01

I dont really mind the taste so much, of course I can barely taste anything considering I can't breath very well. I was prescribed this drug for Scarlet fever. I am afraid I am having early symptoms of dystonic reaction. I feel ready to crawl out of my skin and very panicky. My syptoms have started to clear up after 48 hrs of taking this drug, but now I am on my way to the ER for a benadryl shot. I wouldnt reccomend this drug.

Related Reading: scarlet fever | benadryl

Comment from: tmemi, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 06

This medicaton in the form of a pill has the most horrible tasting coating on it that leaves a bitter taste long after and is very hard to swallow because of its size.

Comment from: Mary, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: April 08

After 8 days of taking Ceftin. I developed severe Hives..So be careful when taking medication

Related Reading: ceftin | hives

Comment from: 25-34 (Patient) Published: January 26

I was prescribed this as a treatment for acne and it works wonders. I love it for clearing up stubborn acne.

Related Reading: acne

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 19

This was prescribed after 2 other anibiotics wouldn't touch my infection. After 3 days it started working. No side effects. Good stuff.

Comment from: Jan, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: April 09

My sons doctor prescribed this medication in the liquid form for a sinus infection. He only took one dose and complained about how bad it tasted. When it was time for the next dose he was begging me, almost crying for me to not make him take it again. I tasted just a bit on my tongue to see what the big deal was. It tasted SO HORRIBLE!! I felt bad for making him take it the first time. It was an hour before I got that taste out of my mouth. Also, this was one of the most expensive antibiotics I've ever had to purchase, even with insurance. I have no idea of the effectiveness because we didn't continue using it.

Related Reading: sinus infection

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: September 14

I have had chronic infections - about 2 per year for last six years. By starting this antibiotic early enough I have been able to completely recover from infections. Unfortumately my first infection was not diagnosed for over 4 months. After many DR visits to 1 primary care and 2 allergy specialists, many tests and labs for allergies and finally a CT scan, I was placed on increasing strengths of different antibiotics. After 2 months of treatment could not reduce the "full involvement" of my sinuses, I was told "emergency" surgery was required to avoid a brain infection. Now I use Ceftin as soon as I am sure I have a sinus infection -and not just a brief allergy, cold or flu. The relief is begins after just one dose but takes the full two-three weeks to completely knock the infection out of my system.

Related Reading: allergy | flu

Comment from: Nasty Taste, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 08

It is the nastiest drug I've ever put in my mouth. I had to wrap it in bread in order to take it. It did work though. Did develop a yeast infection.

Related Reading: yeast infection

Comment from: Itchy, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: April 21

I was put of Ceftin due to an "upper respiratory infection." (Strep culture was negative.) I stopped medication after seven days because I was constantly nauseous despite taking it with food, and sore throat, coughing and headaches did not subside after being on meds for a week. (I figured why continue to suffers on Ceftin? My ailment must be viral...) I lost my voice four days later.... so I resumed use of Ceftin and developed hives within 24 hours.

Related Reading: sore throat | hives

Comment from: sjh, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: February 27

After 3 days on this medication I developed severe diarrhea. Diarrhea worsened to the point I could not eat or drink anything. Finally after 8 days my doctor put me on Flagyl and diarrhea slowly stopped. Horrific experience.

Related Reading: diarrhea | flagyl

QUESTION

Condoms are the best protection from sexually transmitted diseases (STDs). See Answer
Comment from: tomturpolene, 45-54 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 26

Very ill with sinusitis. Was feeling well in a day. No side effects.

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: February 11

I've been using this since the 1980's for post intercourse blatter irratation that turns into a blatter infection. I take a single tablet if and when the symptoms begin and that's it. It's been wonderful with no side affects.

Published: December 30

My Doctor gave me this drug for bacterial bronchitis, It is absolutely useless! If anything I actually got worse. Luckily I got put on Zithromax, and my bronchitis cleared up within 2 days. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS DRUG!

Related Reading: bronchitis | zithromax

Comment from: sherjoa, 65-74 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 16

I have severe COPD and congestive heart failure for 11 years now and now I have pneumonia for the third time. I refused to go to the hospital this time, so my pulmonary doctor ordered Ceptin for me. I don't mind the taste becsuse it is in tsblet form. I have severe pain in my back but now I can bend over and pick things up that have a rotten habit of falling on the floor. I guess it is working, but I have only been on Ceptin for one and a half days, so it is too early to tell if it is working.

Related Reading: copd | congestive heart failure | pneumonia

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 26

I usually have no problems taking pills, but this was HORRIBLE to swallow. It kept getting stuck in my throat and leaving an awful taste in my mouth. It has worked to clear up my sinus infection, so I am happy about that, but will ask to never have this medicine again.

Related Reading: sinus infection

Comment from: usurp88557, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 08

This stuff tastes beyond horrible. My head has cleared up, but my stomach is very upset. My stomach issues are making me feel worse than my sinsues were. I have almost no interest in food. I also have horrible headaches, but it could be due to not eating for almost three days now.

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 18

I was prescribe Ceftin for Pneumonia. Even in pill form it is HORRIBLE tasting. Not only that but it caused me to have a terrible stomach ache and I even threw up a few times after my last dosage. I'm NEVER going to take this again.

Related Reading: ceftin | pneumonia

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 27

I did have an upset stomach while taking this medication and I had to take it for 10 days. It is so bitter tasting but it did work.