Celebrex

Comment from: Dave, 65-74 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 20

"I was in a lot of pain in my lower back and shooting pain down my leg for months, and had increasing difficulty in walking and sleeping. I had been forced to use a cane, and a scooter to get around and I could no longer walk any distance. I had to stop physical therapy because the pain was too bad and epidural injections seemed to offer little relief. The MRI indicated that I had tissue from a herniated disc and protruding disc was pressing on the nerves so I was scheduled for surgery. I was given a prescription for Celebrex ( 250 mg/ 2 times/day) 8 weeks before surgery to help relieve the pain. One week before surgery, I was told to stop taking Celebrex. The pain has not returned and the surgery was cancelled. I am now essentially pain free. I have taken Celebrex for two months now and I have not had to deal with any side affect. It should be noted that I have taken Protonix for several years so that may have prevented me from noticing any side effect using this drug. Celebrex took just over a week to make a noticeable difference so it should be tried for at least two weeks before concluding it does not help. This drug sure beats electing to have surgery and fusion. I was told the goal after fusion is a pain level 3 or lower. On Celebrex my pain level is between 1 and 0 and shooting pains down my leg have stopped."

Related Reading: herniated disc | celebrex | protonix

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: July 21

I have been taking Celebrex for 10-12 years, 2 - 200mg per day. Arthritis is all joints including spine. Also degenerative discs in spine so pain pretty much entire body! Celebrex is my life line!! Got VERY expensive so switched to generic Celecoxib when it can out. It's the same thing but cheaper!!!

Related Reading: arthritis

Comment from: [email protected], 55-64 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: October 08

For someone who has suffered with Degenerative Join Desiese for over 25 yrs. This is the first product that has helped me. It is not a miracle cure. It does not take the pain totally away from all of my envolved joints, but enough so that it allows me to function doing my everyday activities of daily living. Those who were trying to have Celebrex taken off of the market due to the "potential side effects" obviously never needed Celebrex in the first place; because the relief of the pain and the freedom to be an active member of society that it provides is worth any potential side effect.People who are not affected do not know or understand that living in a constatnt state of pain/discomfort dosen't just cause a physical hurt; it is emotionally and physically draining. God bless the makers of Celebrex for providing a product that has allowed me to keep my independence.

Comment from: cindy, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 19

I was prescribed 200mg daily of celebrex. Yes, I questioned the risks. Prior to taking celebrex, I could hardly walk. My days were limited to short periods on my feet. There was no life. I now feel good again, am enjoying life. Im still scared of the future with long term use, but it feels so good not to take narcotic meds, and the cordisone shots. I guess Im looking at the quality of my life, which is great since I started celebrex

Related Reading: celebrex

Comment from: SLJ, 65-74 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 07

I have osteoarthritis all over my body. I was experiencing so much pain on a daily/nightly basis. Doctor prescribed Celebrex 200mg 2X daily and now I can function again. Will not be without this medication again!

Related Reading: osteoarthritis

Comment from: 45-54 (Patient) Published: March 31

I have Arthritis in both hips due to Crohn's disease. I have been taking Celebrex off and on for over three years. And I have to say, it works GREAT most days!!! Some days, not that good. But I have to blame that on myself because I sometimes over due activities on the days when I am pain-free. LOL - Hey, when no pain, you feel more active and you can now do the things you put off before :-) The only thing I recommend is to take this with food, preferably about 15-20 minutes after, as it can cause stomach upset.

Related Reading: crohn's disease

Comment from: 65-74 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: December 14

the pain gradaully decreased after a day or so. To understand have effective this drug is, is to stop taking it, and have the pain resume.

Comment from: 55-64 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: January 15

I have been using Celebrex for over 6 years for my arthritic knees (very little cartilege left in one knee). I can't run because of the artritis but am now able to be high activity in all other respects (bike, walking, aerobic machines, etc). I am also heart patient (triple by-pass five years ago) and a type II diabetic and have continued to use clebrex without side issues or adverse effects. I do not beleive I could have implemented the active lifestyle I need to improve by cardiac results and reduce my blood sugar results without the joint pain relief results of the celebrex.

Related Reading: celebrex

Comment from: Kyllein, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: February 05

In brief, I broke my back and damaged the spinal cord. After years of Ibuprophen and Aspirin and Naproxin in varying doses at various intervals; my doctor prescribed me one 200mg Celebrex capule per day. It provides me better pain relief than any of the other OTC or prescription drugs, and I only need it once a day (Lunchtime with food). In brief, it works; and is worth the risks inherent in any NSAID drug. DON'T take any other NSAID with it, though; doing so increases your risk of bleeding exponentially! It isn't a blood thinner, though; so an Aspirin regimen (81mg once-per-day) may be approved by your doctor, but ask first! Don't take this drug and the Aspirin together, though; and always take it with food, and don't assume buffered aspirin is any safer than plain aspirin in this case. How happy am I with Celebrex? I can enjoy the winters again; that's how happy I am. I'm not a shut-in when it gets cold anymore, which used to be the case.

Related Reading: aspirin

Comment from: nikalyn5000, 35-44 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: February 02

After all of the crazy things that I did as a child and in my twenties. I now live with head to foot arthritics. As long as I have my Celebrex I feel like a normal person my age and I am able to return to horseback riding, bike riding and zip lines on vacations. With out my Celebrex I feel like I am 80 + and everything hurts from head to foot. I will be on it for life even though I am in my early 40's but it is worth it! <3

Comment from: Mike, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: July 31

I have been taking celebrex for over 20 years, For lower back pain and heavy joint pain fingers, and shoulders. I did not take care of my body when I was young. I have not had any side effects that I am aware of. 200 to 400 mil.per day

Related Reading: celebrex | lower back pain

Comment from: kbear, 45-54 on Treatment for 10+ years Published: September 01

I think this product works great! My arthritis pain in my knee was gone in days. I only take this med when needed for 3-4 days. Make sure you take it in the morning with a good full breakfast. I've had no stomach problems taking it in this way.

Related Reading: arthritis

Comment from: [email protected], 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: February 21

In Oct. 2008 at age 57 took Celebrex 2X daily for 2.5 months for pain from spondylolisthesis (L-5 slipped forward 40%) from motor veh. accident and general arthritic joint pain. It was a miracle drug! It allowed me to walk and stand, and exercise in a pool without pain. At 2.5 mos. allergic reaction-facial cheeks turned red, then dry, cheeks peeled and burned. Stopped for 1 mo. with pain returning. Tried Celebrex 2nd time-same allergic reaction. Stopped for another mo., tried 3rd time with same allergic reaction. Had no choice but to have triple fusion on my back to relieve pain enough to stand and walk. At 4 mos. after back surgery I took 2 Aleve daily for 6 mos. for arthritis and back stiffness with good pain relief. Then I switched to 2 naproxin (generic Aleve)daily and cheeks turned red, burned, peeled again. Now taking 1 naproxin daily and cheeks are not red but still dry. Exercising in 91 degree pool 3or4 times weekly works wonders on joint pain. I highly recommend Celebrex for those who could tolerate any side effects. Always take with food or stomach hurts.

Related Reading: spondylolisthesis

Comment from: usmcmarine85, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: November 28

All these so called great replies have got to be people who are Paid to do this. It hasn't helped the ones I know including myself. Thankyou from a Veteran Semper Fi USMC..... Now wheres my money I told the Truth so I probably won't get any.

What Is Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA)? Symptoms, Treatment, Diagnosis See Slideshow
Comment from: gloriaj, 65-74 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: August 22

I have been on Celebrex for many years. It makes my life liveable. I have osteoarthritis and have had many surguries of knees,toes,hands... I have tried many other meds-this one works the best

Related Reading: celebrex | osteoarthritis

Comment from: Grandma Bean, 55-64 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: August 18

I suffer from degenerative disc disease as well as arthritis. Celebrex has made it possible to remain active. Should I for what ever reason miss a couple of days I immediately fell the unrelenting pain return.

Related Reading: arthritis

Comment from: HIPPIEGURL, 55-64 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: December 03

My primary care doctor gave me Celebrex for arthritis after all lesser drugs stopped helping me and this works wonderfully. After starting with a rheumatologist who could not come up with an RH actor in my bloodwork, he diagnosed me with fibromy- algia only and took away my Celebrex and Plaquenil and would only give me muscle relaxers and pain pills(both of which gave me extreme constipation). Within a short time I was an invalid, needing help to even get off the toilet. He still refused to give me back my meds. After months of excruciating pain, I limped into his office without an appt., crying, and told him if he didn't give my meds back, he might as well put a gun in my hand so I could shoot myself, because that's what I thought my life was worth at that point. I couldn't even take care of myself, let alone my husband, house and two children. He wrote me scripts for both meds right then and within 24 hours I was walking again. At my next appt., he asked me if I needed the mg's upped. NOW he listens to me. I do have to say, though, that was his first experience as a private practice doctor and he might have had a little bit of a God complex, but he has mellowed a LOT since then.

Related Reading: plaquenil | constipation

Comment from: ontrac1, 45-54 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: April 04

I took at 200mg capsule of Celebrex at 3:30, at 6:30 I was in the emergency room. My palms started itching, then my feet & head. Within 15 minutes I was itching over most of my body and my skin turned bright red. Shortly after, my face blew up like a balloon. I could barely speak. My arms, hands, fingers and feet also swelled up. From the time I first started itching until the full on swelling took about 10 minutes. Upon arrival to the emergency room they immediately took me into a room and started an IV. 30 minutes later, the itching was gone, my skin color returned to normal and most of the swelling had subsided. I was there for 3 hours before 90% of the swelling went away. I left there with 2 epi pens and instructions not to take any more Celebrex.

Comment from: sinead, 25-34 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: April 18

I SUFFERED FOR 10 YEARS AND I COULDN'T WALK FOR 6 MONTHS OF THE YEAR AS THE FLUID ON MY KNEES WOULD SWELL UP SO BAD I COULDN'T BEND MY KNEE, I WAS ONLY 18 WHEN THIS FIRST HAPPENED. CELEBREX IS A MIRACLE DRUG. I SAW ALL KINDS OF SPECIALS IN BOSTON, AND IRELAND AND WALES NOBODY SUGGESTED CELEBREX. I ONLY HAVE TO TAKE IT IN THE SUMMER AND LAST SUMMER I CLIMBED UP A MOUNTAIN ON IT. WITHOUT IT I WOULD HAVE ENDED UP IN A WHEELCHAIR. I ONLY WISH SOME DOCTOR HAD RECOMMENDED IT 10 YEARS AGO. IF YOU ARE SUFFERING FROM ARTHRITIS PLEASE TRY THIS, IT REALLY IS A MIRACLE DRUG.

Related Reading: celebrex | arthritis

Comment from: lunabear, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: June 09

I havent noticed a difference in this drug over my other anti-inflammatory- but I have noticed that I am EXTREMELY tired.. Unfortunatly my insurance wont cover it, but they will cover a narcotic!! That doesnt make sense to me at all!! Has anyone had this tiredness problem as a side effect?

Comment from: lady, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 20

I had hip pain for 15 years.It got so bad I could hardly walk at all.Since taking Celebrex,I can walk better and do basics of everyday life.I have had 0 side effects.Thank God for the pain relief!!!

Related Reading: hip pain

Comment from: BillS, 75 or over Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: May 31

! first used Celebrex some years ago as a remedy for shoulder pain after a fall. It worked beautifully, and It avoided the need for a rotator cuff operation. Then a year or two later I injured the shoulder again and an operation was necessary. Several months ago I injured the other shoulder similarly and also the elbow tendon. I got relief from cortisone shots in both places, but it didn't last long. The orthopedist gave me Rx for Celebrex 200 mg a month ago and the result is amazing- pain gone, and 95% motion restored. Some stomach pain during night at first, but now I'm making sure I take it with a full meal. I also feel tired and drowsy- falling asleep when I don't want to, but not at night when I do want to. Perhaps this will clear up.

Related Reading: cortisone

Comment from: azman, 55-64 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 06

While this medication did a good job of relieving my knee pain, after taking it for 3 weeks. I couldn't sleep, suffered from exteme weakness,dizziness and tired to the point of not being able to work. I went to my doctor today and he felt this was due to taking the Celebrex. Good for pain but bad side affects.

Related Reading: knee pain | dizziness | celebrex

Comment from: Working Mom , 25-34 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: March 05

I have several ruptured disks in my back (7 to be exact) from an old cheer leading incident and several years in corrections work, I am only 31 and this medicine has been a game changer for me. I feel normal. I can walk without a terrible limp and pain. God bless the maker :)

Related Reading: ruptured

Comment from: Petmother, 55-64 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: November 14

The brand name works for me the generic doesn't work for me!

QUESTION

The term arthritis refers to stiffness in the joints. See Answer

Pharmacy author: Omudhome Ogbru, PharmD