Chantix

Comment from: Tlo201845-54on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: October 10

I started Chantix on 8/31/18 and it blocked my craving almost immediately. Smoking became an unpleasant chore and the hardest part was giving up the 'habit' of having one. The first week, I will admit, I was out of sorts because smoking was such a huge part of my day. The research I did prior to quitting said you will learn to do things just as well, or better, than you did before. I can honestly say they were right. I get way more accomplished every day, I started working out and running again – this time I can breathe, and it’s enjoyable! I no longer have dry mouth, horrid breath, smoker’s cough or the nasty stench of cigarette smoke in my hair and on my hands. My doctor prescribed 60 days of Chantix (30 starter pack and 30 maintenance pack). I quit for good on 9/9/18 after 10 days of taking it AND after smoking a pack/day for 20+ years. I haven't looked back and it doesn’t bother me to be around other smokers. Instead, I secretly hope they will discover Chantix and give it a try! I did complete the 30 day starter pack, but didn’t need the maintenance pack. I’m sure it’s different for everyone. If I was still having cravings, I certainly would have taken the maintenance pack. I didn’t experience any side effects (no vivid dreams, no depression, etc.) except for a little nausea after the morning pill. I quickly learned to take it with food and that ceased. My apologies for this long review, but when I was researching quitting and Chantix results, I wanted to learn all I could from other people’s experiences. I hope this helps you and good luck on your journey to a healthier you!

Related Reading: chantix | smoking | dry mouth

Comment from: ziggy65-71on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: April 16

I have smoked for 50 years. I tried many times to quit with no results. I tookChantix for 2 months and stopped smoking the 2nd week. Had a little nausia. It has now been 3 years of being smoke free.

Comment from: valk35-44on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: August 22

I was so afraid to take these! I figured if anyone would have bad side effects, it would be me. My doctor prescribed it along with Xanax "just in case." I had very vivid dreams the first two nights. After that, normal dreams. I did not need to take Xanax. I LOVED smoking. It was like giving up my best friend. When I used Chantix the medicine didn't take away the desire to smoke 100%, but it was enough that I didn't buy any more cigarettes and I didn't feel like I HAD to smoke. I have not smoked a cigarette since 2012.

Related Reading: xanax | smoking | chantix

Comment from: 55-64on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: January 09

i have smoked for over 40 years, have never tried to quit before, been smoke free for 3 days after only taken it for 8 days.

Comment from: 55-64on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: April 06

Have been a smoker for 40 years. Began with starter pack, and had my last cigarette on day 9; I just didn't feel I needed one after that. No side effects at all other than some vivid dreams.

Comment from: Nadine55-64on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: November 27

I quit smoking February 9th 2017 will be 10 years. I had tried to quit smoking for 6 years before I found chantix. I did have crazy dreams, but they stopped as soon I stopped the medication. I recommended it all the time.

Related Reading: smoking | chantix

Comment from: Alter Life Forever45-54on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: May 15

This medicine has given me constant seizures. At first I had really weird dreams. I stopped taking it after that, about a week later I started having seizures. Do not take this, you might deeply regret taking Chantix as I do. It altered my life since taking it.

Comment from: Don Warfield65-71on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: March 27

Chantex did in weeks what I wasn't able to do for over 50 years. Going on seven years clean of smoking and I thank Chantex all the time. Thank you and my family thanks you. Only problem was an upset stomach for 1/2 hour or so after taking and the weirdest dreams possible. Small problems compared to the rewards.

Comment from: 35-44on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: January 18

I had some nausea in the mornings if I skipped breakfast. I had normal dreams, but they were very vivid.

Comment from: 45-54on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: October 17

so, let me start off with saying, everyone is different on this medication. I have been taking Chantix for almost 2 months. I congratulate those who have quit smoking after a week or two, but I have read other reviews that say it takes a while but not to give up. I have gone from 1 1/2 packs a day to about 5 a day. big accomplishment for me. I wish I could quit completely, but not as of yet. I have had absolutely no side effects at all. Nothing. The medicine doesn't bother me in any way, but I still haven't quit completely. I no longer wheeze or cough constantly. I do feel great about this. Hopefully, I will gain the confidence to give up those 5 a day soon.

Related Reading: chantix | smoking | cough

Comment from: Roberto55-64on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: February 22

Try electronic cigarettes. Millions of people world-wide have used them to much better success and without thoughts of suicide, seizures, or thoughts of harming other people. Chantix is a psychotic drug. There are Zero know side effects with vaping or e-cigs.

Related Reading: suicide | chantix

Comment from: Zoey196055-64on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: February 05

I have been a chain smoker for 45 years. I have tried to quit in many ways but the desire was to strong for me to overcome. I started Chantix with a positive attitude and a great will to quit. The first week I was restless but that went away. I smoked for 2 weeks like I normally do but when the 3rd week came I wasn't thinking about smoking as much. Mornings were the worst for me I do have to admit. I smoked in the morning but the taste really was not enjoyable. When I craved one throughout the day I would remember the gross taste and wasn't interested. I slowly cut back day by day until I ran out of cigarettes and promised myself I would not purchase any more. I am not smoking now. I have Chantix to thank for that because I could not do this on my own. I will stay on Chantix for a couple of months until I get over the BIG hump of the triggers and cravings. I do know that I can NEVER pick up another cigarette as long as I live. I worked too hard to get to where I am today. Thank you Chantix for giving me my life back!

Related Reading: chantix | smoking

Comment from: Kmalin25-34on Treatment for 6 months to - 1 year Published: November 24

I may be the only one that has had a positive experience on this drug, but it completely changed my life for the better! I was a chain smoker with severe anxiety. For 7 years I self medicated with alcohol, cocaine, adderall, and smoking is a great addition to all of that. My whole life I felt as if I was walking around with a rain cloud above my head, I never knew that is wasnâ??t normal to feel that way until I started taking chantix. I donâ??t know why or how but when I started taking chantix, not only did it make me quit smoking, but it removed that cloud above my head! The sun was finally out, my spirit felt lighter, my vision clearer. I know this sounds ridiculous, but it changed me. I felt no desire for a drink or any other substance! I started working out everyday, gotback into reading, took guitar lessons, cleaned my diet, etc! For the first time in my entire life I felt right. After 6 months on Chantix I told my doctor of my transformation and she agreed that I most likely needed to be on a antidepressant to begin with, so she put me on Wellbutrin. And guess what happened. The cloud came back. That dreadful feeling I used to have once again lingers inside me. After two months off chantix I started going back to my old ways. Binge drinking, lines of coke, and after 7 months of not touching a cig I put one to my lips and ruined all the progress I made! I know everyone always described these crazy side effects, but the only side effect I got was the desire to live!

Related Reading: anxiety | cocaine | adderall

Comment from: cj12325-34on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: April 13

Just weaned myself off of Chantix after about 7 weeks. Still smoke free since Feb. 27th! Had weird dreams but that is normal for me, blacked out a few times while drinking, had dry eyes but other than that-everything is all good!

Related Reading: chantix | dry eyes

QUESTION

COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) is the same as adult-onset asthma. See Answer
Comment from: Tlc6745-54on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: December 04

I am so grateful for this treatment. I was a smoker for 35 years. I was able to quit completely 2 weeks to the day after the first dose. No will power required at all. I just simply do not want a cigarette. The urge to smoke started to decrease on day 3. I did experience depression, anxiety, easily angered and trouble sleeping but it was well worth it to become a non-smoker.

Related Reading: depression | anxiety

Comment from: Puddin45-54on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: November 04

First, I love what Chantix has done for me. I started smoking at 16 yrs old ( now 46yrs old). This is my 2nd time stopping while using Chantix. The first time I stop for 1yr but I got really stressed out about something and pick up cigs again. I also need to admit I loved smoking but it was time to stop. It's been 3 months now smoke free on Chantix but I still get the urge to smoke sometimes ( probably from habit). Still going strong, I really don't want to smoke any more.

Comment from: tommy8344545-54on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: August 08

third times a charm. worked great this time. main thing is...gotta want to quit.

Comment from: Nonsmoker65-71on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: May 21

This was the only successful treatment for stopping smoking in my life. Have not smoked in 12 years now. There were no side effects.

Related Reading: smoking

Comment from: Donutley121635-44on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: February 13

If you can take it this drug is amazing. I was able to quit during probably one of the worst experiences of my young life. I lost my mother suddenly the day after Christmas. Without chantix there is no way I would have been able to quit on my own. Jan. 7th 2019 was the last time i had a cigarette. That was only 2 days after I had to bury my mother. If you want to quit and can take chantix do it!

Comment from: shegazy35-44on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: August 14

Do not take this medicine or anything remotely similar. It’s been almost 10 years since I was introduced to Chantix and I am still suffering from some of it’s extreme side effects. Side effects that a lot of people suffered from and Pfizer are still answering to no one. I took Chantix for 6 weeks before I flush the pills. I did quite smoking for a while but after 8 months I became a smoker again, still am. I think about how something like that was made and came to reach me, it is the worst experience I had in my life. I started having strange patterns of thinking after only 10 days and I kept speaking with my the doctor who prescribed it and all he said this is normal when you are trying to quit smoking, he worked for Pfizer. After few weeks I lost all my mental agility, my mathematical and logical abilities and all ties to reality. This drug made me and the other two friends who tried it almost go insane, we didn’t see each others or talk about the experience except after 7 years, one of them committed suicide. Sometimes I would be under my own house and I will not recognize where I am, I never had such an experience before and given the way I think I will always try to justify what is happening, make the best out of the situation and consider this some sort of a challenge. I became extremely paranoid and I was no longer able to properly communicate with anyone even my family or my oldest friends. Reality became shit and it seemed there was nothing I could do about it. Bottom line, mentally I functioned way better before the 2 months I took this medicine and till now I am still recovering. I hope one day who ever was responsible for that will be punished.

Related Reading: chantix | smoking | suicide

Comment from: 35-44on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: October 23

I took it for 3 months and I'm quit 6 months now

Comment from: oops55-64on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: May 03

Beware. I got off this drug after 4 days by strong disapproval of my psychiatrist. Horrible side effects not the least of which was the scariest dreams ever. I was in a Stephen King novel.

Comment from: TyHM9125-34on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: February 27

I decided to give Chantix a shot after starting smoking again, and I think that it has been working pretty well for me given the fact that I've stopped my tobacco use. I've been taking it for a little over a month now. The only thing I have really noticed is the nasty stomachache that happens about 20 minutes after ingestion and it happens more often than not (about 75% of the time.) The stomachache does stop after about 30 minutes. I can put up with the nausea side effects since it is working for smoking cessation.

Comment from: Suec65-71on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: October 24

Took one day and broke out with rash and hives. My body hurt so much that night I could not sleep. My husband had taken one pill first day and he was up all night with pain in muscles. Really wanted to be able to take it, I think it would have worked. But can't with the side effects.

Related Reading: hives

Comment from: lee45-54 Published: July 09

It only took me about a week to eliminate the desire of smoking.

Comment from: Janene55-64on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: March 24

This is the morning of day 6 on Chantix. Tomorrow I will start taking one twice a day. My first cigarette today there was no taste at all; like inhaling air. My last cigarette yesterday was full flavor. I am very hopeful as of this morning.

Comment from: Sarah45-54on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: March 25

I have smoked a pack a day(sometimes more) for about 30 years. After 1 week of Chantix, my smoking was cut in half-I was losing the desire to smoke. I quit on day 14 and have been a non-smoker for 5 whole days.This stuff is amazing.

Comment from: Bill65-71 Published: March 21

Life long heavy smoker I tried Chantix 9 years ago with 100 pills. After the third day I quit and had no cigarettes for 7 years. There were no side effects other than lots of vivid dreams, most about Jennifer Lawrence. Then I did an all inclusive vacation for a week a couple years ago and drinking all day and with a pack of Marlboro's 80 cents I began again thinking when I got home I would quit. Nope. In the past two years I have tried Chantix twice but insurance will only pay for the starter 30 day pack. I quit each time but it only lasted a few months. I just got another starter pack but with two refills. I also learned that eVapes - nicotine or not - did not work for me.

Related Reading: chantix | nicotine

Comment from: 25-34on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: July 25

I quit smoking after about a week. It worked great until my whole body started selling. I haven't heard of any one else having that reaction. My doctor took me off of it right away and the swelling went down. I couldn't even eat because I was so swollen.

Comment from: 35-44on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: April 24

Smoked a pack a day for 15 years and then vaped for 5 years. Within 7 days of starting Chantex I lost the erge for nicotine. I am now 4 months nicotine free and feel great. I took Chantex for 2 months. The worst side effect was an upset stomach. I did experience aggression but nicotine withdrawal also causes that so who knows. Good luck this is a great product.

Related Reading: nicotine

COPD Foods to Boost Your Health - COPD Diet Tips See Slideshow
Comment from: 45-54on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: April 20

30 year smoker up to two packs a day. Used Chantix to quit. Not one cigarette in 6 months. This is a wonder drug!

Comment from: Southern55-64on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: April 07

I first took chantix when it first came out..it worked great..I wait smoking after about 6 days..I started back..like a moron..then got back on it..it didn't work..TRYED again.. didn't work.. whatever was in it..to make it work..I believe, they took it out so, that they can nickel and dime you to death..I loved this medicine.. it's a damn shame that the greed of big pharma took out whatever it..the main ingredient..was out . that way instead of you paying there exuberant Price's of 160.00 a month to now 169.00 a month for 4 months and you still can't quit..pisses me off..the greed of these people

Related Reading: chantix | smoking

Comment from: Livefreeordie65-71on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: March 27

I stopped taking chantix on day eleven. I couldnt take it anymore. It was horrible, the depression, listless behavior, felt like i was in quicksand or encased in cement. Could barely leave my bed let alone the house. Yes i could probably stop smoking as well as stop living. Damn this shit is horrible. Day twelve no chantix and its like a giant weight has been lifted off me, the mind n body fog is gone. I almost feel like my old self. Yes i want to quit badly but it aint going to happen on this horible horible shit.

Related Reading: chantix | depression | smoking

Comment from: Domdabomb55-64on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: March 14

Smoker of 2 packs/day for 45 years, after 1 month on chantix I'm down to 15/day. So yeah I'll say it works however I have not had a good night's sleep in a month. No weird dreams or stomach upset just sleeplessness. I have recently gone to half a dose (one pill) per day to see if sleep still eludes me and the cravings stay diminished. Will try to update this post in about a month.

Comment from: Parth19-24on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: December 13

Comment from: 45-54on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: April 03

Comment from: gibby201955-64on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: October 09

After 32 years of smoking as much as 2 packs a day - Chantix definitely helped me quit. I have been without cigarettes now for 16 months. I see many people have experienced side effects when taking the drug but I had none. slept fine, no headaches, stomach problems, etc. The nicotine desire was gone almost immediately but the "habits" and what I did while smoking was the challenge. Started in April, was done on June 6th. Over the last year, it has been challenging. How much anyone can point to Chantix for issues we have no one may never know. I have had a significant thyroid issue over the last year - treating little by little. There are definitely emotional challenges that I am still trying to understand. With it all, i will not smoke again although I do go hang around someone smoking every now and then just for the memories. I do think everyone is different and reacts differently to drugs so as long as you have someone and your doctor watching you real close all along the way, it is worth trying and likely worth the effects.

Related Reading: smoking | chantix | nicotine

Comment from: Suze55-64on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: October 01

The magic that makes Chantix work so well is proportional to YOUR level of commitment. You have to be ready to quit. I smoked for 35 years, 2 pks a day. In less than 7 days, I quit smoking. It wasn't traumatic, it wasn't climbing the walls - it simply happened: the cigarettes no longer gave anything to me except feeding a habit, they didn't taste good anymore, I kept breaking them in half - it was like smoking dirt and I asked myself WHY I kept doing this? On the 6th day of Chantix, I walked away from smoking. Still get a mild craving, but it's for the habit, not the need for nicotine. I feel so much better, don't ever want to pick up another cigarette again. There are some side effects that are not pleasant, mostly nausea following taking the AM and PM dose. It can range from mildly queasy for 2 hrs or extreme nausea for about an hour - plan for it. Eat a meal with a little less dairy (it helps), drink a HUGE glass of water immediately following the pill (it helps a lot). I took a full dose in the AM, 1/2 dose after lunch and 1/2 dose after dinner and kept the nausea at bay - it worked for me. My husband still smokes and it doesn't bother me - doesn't make me want one, I don't try and steal a puff - it really doesn't cross my mind anymore. The thought of lighting up a cigarette now is foreign to me and I'm loving it. I took Chantix for a month and a half and I am now, proudly, a non-smoker.

Related Reading: chantix | smoking | nicotine

Comment from: 55-64 Published: August 17

I've been on chantix twice. The 1st time I was taking it I became very depressed, had nausea & was quite irratible. It did help me somewhat to not crave a cigarette. The 2nd time I took chantix I didn't have the previous side effects. Nor, did it help with the cravings. I am going to talk with my doctor about trying zyban. Zyban is another FDA approved smoking cessation pill. Wish me luck!

Related Reading: chantix | zyban | smoking

Comment from: ScreenName45-54on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: August 14

After 2 weeks on Chantix, I became suicidal and aggressive. My personality changed dramatically. At one point I felt an overwhelming urge to drive my car off a freeway overpass, taking as many cars with me as I could. I have no history of depression or any other mental illness. I was on no other medications whatsoever. As soon as I stopped taking Chantix the suicidal thoughts, anger and aggression ceased. Chantix is a dangerous drug with potentially deadly side effects.

Related Reading: chantix | depression | mental illness

Comment from: Keith sludera545-54on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: April 12

I took Chantix.woke my wife up ,shot her in the neck,I will spend the rest of my life thinking what a mistake it was,don't take it sometimes there's no warning signs to violence.Pfizer dosent care,I can promise you that! Try anything BUT CHANTIX.it doesn't work scientifically like they think.I know what it does to your brain.phisher is about as low as you can get as a untrustworthy company.I was married for 22 years with For children.unbelievable how a company can treat human beings.I guess greed,is the motive,if not what is it Pfizer,what have you done to help my family that your product torn apart?

Comment from: MKunz5655-64on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: October 13

UNBELIEVABLE!!!! I've been a daily smoker (2 packs/day) for over 40 yrs and felt I was destined to always smoke. Chantix allowed me to quit (by paying attention to their instructions!) and avoid any real craviings to smoke follwoing my quit date. I'm now smoke-free for 3 weeks, something I've never achieved prior to my taking Chantix. Now that I've been free of the cigarettes for that period of time, I'll NEVER pick another one up again. Thank you Chantix!!!!!

Comment from: 35-44on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: October 06

Chantix destroyed me. It made me go crazy only the 5th day of taking it and it just got terribly worse from there I made it about 30 day and I was so for gone saying and doing things I would never do making me into a person I am not thanks to chantix I have lost friendships I never wanted to lose. This shit is the scariest shit and it fucked my life up and I am still smoking sucks

Related Reading: chantix | smoking

Comment from: Momsgirl2727 55-64on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: September 23

I have smoked cigarettes for 49 years I have tried to quit several times with no success. The first time I tried Chantix the medication started making me sick in the first week but it also completely curved my need to smoke a cigarette it has been one full year now and I still have not smoked nor do I have the urge. I would highly recommend this to anyone who wants to quit smoking

Comment from: smokefree65-71on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: September 17

I was scared to take this drug because of all the bad reviews.I was a 40 plus year smoker and finally said "enough". I have had no side effects at all and have been smoke free for 3 months now..a lot of it is your willingness to want to quit.I hate that others have had a bad experience with Chantix because it really works.love the turkey!

Comment from: Rob55-64on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: July 24

Chantix caused my skin to peel off and organs to fail. Was in intensive care to me it's unsafe

Pharmacy Author: Omudhome Ogbru, PharmD