Cimzia

Comment from: Good Advisor, 35-44 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: March 12

Cimzia has been a blessing for me. Its a good medication provided with very supportive caregivers like nurses and case managers. Very helpful and prompt. I have been on it for past two years. It does tire me the next day; half a day after I take the shot but till the next dose I am full of energy, Less or no pain in joints; with good diet and exercise. I also take turmeric occasionally as its good for arthritis. I try to stay away from too much sugar, white flour and starchy food. I eat lots of fresh greens and fruits and no canned food. With all the benefits so far, only a few side effects which I face are breathless on running or climbing stairs quickly and itchy skin if I forget to use lotion or oil after bathing, some tingling in legs and feet at night but it doesn't bother me much. I get tired after staying on my feet for an hour or two but I relax for half an hour and start with activities again. I got my life back with cimzia. Food choices and regimes need to be altered as per your health condition. see how you react to certain foods, fruits and veggies etc. I made notes first few months and noted down everything. completely took off things which bothered me out of my routine. Lifting heavy stuff would trigger the pain so I use alternatives if alone or ask my family members to help. Using Cimzia and a little bit of self observation on your body reaction to it will certainly help. Plus don't forget the natural herb turmeric which just supports it. But if you are diabetic or have pancreatic disorder avoid turmeric. all the best. May God heal your pain.

Related Reading: cimzia | turmeric | arthritis

Comment from: planenuts, 65-74 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 03

RA diagnosed 2/2015. Began 20mg Prednisone and reduced down to 15mg after 2 weeks. Stepped down to 10mg after 2 months and is current dose. Added 15mg of Methotrexate. Didn't see much effect. Mtx increased 9/28/15 to 20mg and initially more effective. Started Cimzia yesterday 10/2/15. Within 6 hours, RA symptoms began to subside allowing me to do more normal physical work. Awoke the next morning feeling almost symptom free, slight thorax soreness at full chest expansion, various minor muscle soreness, previous knee stiffness/soreness non-existent, range of motion feels loose,and pretty much unrestricted. Strength has returned. No noticeable side effects at this point.

Related Reading: prednisone | methotrexate

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 15

I just took my first loading dose on Sunday 11/11/12 and it has kicked in already. I was on Enbrel for about 9 years and it just stopped working for my body, so my RA doc gave me Cimzia. I will say this, on the day before i took my loading dose I could barely move around which is not good for a 24 year old. Everything hurt! The morning after the 2 shots, I could not believe that I was able to actually get out of bed and move around freely with much less pain. I'm hoping the medicine keeps working like this for me. I still have a little bit of stiffness but I feel about 70% better and it hasnt even been a week! Good luck to everyone going thru this :)

Related Reading: enbrel

Comment from: KOOPER, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 02

I STARTED ON CIMZIA 4 WKS AGO TOOK 2 200 MG ONE WEAK TWO WKS LATER THE SAME MY FEET AND ANKLES STARTED SWELLING HURTING BACK OF MY LEGS TINGLING ACHING CHILLS STUFFY NOSE I CALLED DOCTOR HE SAID DO NOT TAKE ANYMORE I HAVE APPT TOMORROW WITH HIM WITH RESEARCH IT SAYS IT WILL TAKE 5 WKS TO GET OUT OF MY SYSTEM I HAVE NEVER FELT THIS BAD STARTING ON ENBREL OCT 11 NEED TO LET CIMZIA FLUSH OUT OF MY SYSTEM ANYONE ELSE GONE THRU THESE SYSTEMS UGHHHHHH

Related Reading: cimzia | enbrel

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: June 26

I have been on Cimzia for a little over 1 yr. The only other current med. is Methotrexate. My RA is moderate to severe, and the more aggressive type. Prior to current combination of these 2, I was bed ridden and unable to function. I now live a completely normal life with very few limitatations, and am able to excersize regularly.

Comment from: Sheila, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: November 23

I was diagnosed 1 1/2 years ago. I've been on Methotrexate, but had to switch to an injection due to stomach issues. My doctor started me on Humira, but nothing was happening...no relief. Then he changed to Cimzia and I'll be getting my third and final loading dose on Monday, and I can barely remember feeling this good. For me I have no side effects so far, and the first day to go without Ibupropen was day before yesterday. I feel energetic and relieved there is finally something that took away the neck, shoulder, back, wrist, knee, hip and ankle pains away. For me it is a miracle.

Related Reading: humira

Comment from: Bonnie55, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 18

I have had RA for 37 years and have been on several biologics. I started taking Cimzia about 6 weeks ago. It may be helping some, I seem to have more energy and less pain; however, I am itching so much. I have an itchy rash on my leg and tingling all over. I'm a little afraid of taking another dose in a week. Wondering if anyone else has had the itching problem and what you did about it...

Related Reading: cimzia | rash

Comment from: A24KBabe, 75 or over on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: September 09

I just read that cimzia holds in water and adds weight gain on people taking this med by shots. Isn’t that wonderful? I have been trying to lose some weight and wondered why nothing is happening. It doesn’t take away pain in arms and shoulders nor in legs feet or knees. I ask myself…then why am I taking it. It is supposed to keep your hands from the crippling effect of RA. Well my fingers are crippled anyway. I have had RA now since 2008. But probably had it prior to this. Never really checked why I had pain in different places. I have been on methotrexate, Enbrel, Humira and now Cimzia which I started to use 11/6/12 - all the other drugs stopped working after 8 mo to a year. Cimzia is given to me in my upper thigh every other week 200mg each time. I started with 2 shots once a month, but Cimzia seemed to wear off after 2 weeks. I am just not that thrilled at this point. My knees are really bad - my ankles, and legs hurt. I can hardly walk any length of a block. I keep active, but find I need to rest alot. The one thing that Cimzia did was and is still working on bringing my sed rate down. It was well over 100 when I began taking the other meds for RA. Cimzia did bring it down. It is now in the 70-78 range. That is still too high too. I should get relief from pain with the shot, but maybe it has stopped working on me. I have no idea. I don't want to do infusions.I don't know what else is left. Today is 9/9/14

Related Reading: cimzia | methotrexate | enbrel

Comment from: Rainbow, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: February 15

Woke up with terrible pain in all joints, worst in ankles & feet. Referred to rheumy but original tests neg. Thought to have osteo. Had steroid shots in fingers & wrists so I could could continue working. Had good results, but pain eventually got worse all over and was re-tested & dx with RA. Went on prednisone & metho, felt great after a few wks. But then she weaned me off prednisone as she said I could not stay on it. I hoped metho would do the trick as I did not want to go on a biologic. Finally had so much pain I relented and went on Humira. I did ok on it for a year, but then she said it was failing as my joints were not going down like the should, especially some fingers. So switched to Cimzia. Been on it for 1 1/2 yrs now and so far good. I do 2 injections in legs once a month, which I like better than the Humira. Take 3 1mg folic acid/day, 10 mg/wk metho and get blood checked every 8 weeks. I exercise and am able to resume all my normal activities that I could not do before. So I am pleased. I do think about the long term side effects, but I have such improved quality to my life now, that I just figure life is too short to live in pain if you don't have to. I figured if I didn't at least try something I would never know and I can always stop if it doesn't work. I had a lot of anxiety at first, but I am over that now, which I realize now probably made my pain worse. I am hoping for the best and just trying to live a full life the best I can. Still work part time for now. Try to eat better, think positively & exercising really helps me feel better. Yoga is great, wish I had discovered it a lot earlier in life. I wish everyone with RA the best.

Related Reading: prednisone | humira | anxiety

Comment from: RA and so tired of fighting, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 06

This drug will cause extreme weight gain in the form of both water retention and FAT in the mid section just like prednisone does. The drug company will NEVER admit it because it hurts the sales. I am 50 years old in and taking it for RA. Have been on many type drugs and this drug is the worst for weight gain. DIET/EXERCISE /RUNNING ... nothing makes a difference , you will still put the pounds on no matter what you do. I wonder if it is nothing more than a liquid form prednisone.... u never know with these RIPP OFF drug companies. As soon as I stopped taking it the pounds began to fall off because of the diet and rigorous exercise I was doing trying to fight the weight gain. I will try something other than the TNF 's because they all cause weight gain, but this one was the worse by FAR!

Comment from: skylands, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: August 03

I have been receiving cimzia injections for RA for the past four months. The first month it was like a magic bullet. My symptoms were tremendously improved and I was able to do so much more again and had more energy. I was thrilled. The second and third month I could feel the symptoms under the surface and did not have near the energy I had initially. The last shot only seemed to last two weeks. I have been bruising easily and darkly (black), all the bones in my feet hurt. My feet are swollen and ankles and knees and hips hurt. I am anxious to heaer reviews from other RA sufferers.

Comment from: sunny, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 28

I had rheumatoid arthritis for over 20 years. I am in my 50's now and was using Remicade but developed serious allergies. Cimzia is my miracle drug. I had the shots now twice (2 months). I m getting 2 shots of 200 mg each once a month. i feel wonderful as if I never had this disease. I am able to exercise with weights now Before my hands and feet were in so much pain. I have lots of energy. I work full time. The only thing I am feeling is my heart racing more but if that's the noly thing i have to go through then, i m fine with that. also the shots don'hurt as much and it is so fast! Hope all of you do well too.

Related Reading: rheumatoid arthritis | remicade | cimzia

Comment from: JoolieQ, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 26

Be EXTREMELY careful with this biologic! After the loading doses 9/1; 9/16 and 9/30 I developed Hives, Lupus-like rash, heart speeding up, anxiety, severe hair loss - almost 50%, extreme fatigue, nausea and no appetite! My Crohn's is about the same as before starting it, if slightly better - but that may be because I really don't feel like eating. Upon contacting my provider with these symptoms several times and requesting alternate treatment, they basically refuse to believe it's the Cimzia and want me to continue on it and participate in the side effects study. No alternative treatment is even being considered. The NERVE! I still have these effects ongoing and it's 10/28/09...I'm filing a MedWatch report with the FDA - and anything else I can do to report my provider because they don't care about me - they just want guinea pigs for their study of this fairly new medication.

Related Reading: hives | lupus | rash

Comment from: Wilma, 55-64 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: April 13

The price for Cimzia is obscene!!! When my health insurance ends, I'm screwed big time. We must continue the fight for Universal, single-payer health care. I am an RA patient and I work in Clinical Trials for RA patients. My patients are suffering and can't afford this medicine. These medicines for RA (Biologics) cost practically nothing to make and the pharmaceuticals recoup their research costs in just a few years, for example, Enbrel today is pure profit for the drug companies, raking in tens of thousands of dollars per year per patient.

Related Reading: enbrel

Comment from: sonjagirl, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: July 19

I have been on this medication since it was FDA approved and my RA is in remission. I had previously taken Enbrel and Humira and never felt as well as I do now. Hope this lasts!

Related Reading: humira

Comment from: Just Me, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 15

I have had my first two "loading" doses. My RA was diagnosed about 20 years ago, and I have tried just about every medication there is for RA. One of the nurses at the infusion office told me about Cimzia so my doctor said lets try it. So far I do not see any difference - time will tell. I am to take 2 shots every 4 weeks. I am a bit upset by the posts here saying that it is difficult and painful. I find it so much easier than an infusion. You need to let the syringes sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes before injecting (this is in the instructions), and give the injection either in the top of your leg (thigh) or stomach. I do not find it painful. At first there is the slight "burning sensation" but it goes away in minutes. When injecting you need to take your time since the solution is thick-this is not something that you just stick, push, and go. But you actually have to slowly push the plunger on the syringe. I am hoping that this works for me. The fatigue and joint damage is taking its tole. Just need to stop the damage and find some energy.

Related Reading: fatigue

Comment from: chuckie, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: December 05

I feel as though the joint pain and bladder pain is from this med Dr not certain yet still real new for me.

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: February 03

Love it, nothing seemed to help and I was beginning to give up hope. Dr. prescribed Cimzia it took a couple of months but my levels are coming down and I'm feeling so much better.

Comment from: Tish, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: July 18

I just took my second set of shots so it is still kicking in. I have previously been on Enbrel and Humira, which lost their effectiveness for me. I noticed a difference after giving myself the first 2 shots of Cimzia. My inflammation and pain started diminishing within the first 2-3 days. During the 2 weeks between the shots, I have seen further reduction in my inflammation, however I could tell when it was time for the second set of shots due to recurring pain. Hoping I see further reduction of the inflammation and even less pain from my RA. Also, these shots are nothing compared to the Humira pen. Looking forward to getting my life back.

Related Reading: enbrel | humira | cimzia

Comment from: Owen, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: April 26

I was diagnosed with severe and aggressive RA 27 months ago. After 6 months of methotrexate (20mg), Diclofenac, prednisolone, and Plaquenil, I was transferred to Cimzia (every 2 weeks) and methotrexate (15mg). From the first month on Cimzia, I have had minimal morning stiffness, no aches and pains unless I work too long or don't get enough sleep, and all my blood markers have been normal. But in the last two months I have had some mild discomfort for a day or two before the injection - I hope this doesn't get worse.

Related Reading: methotrexate | diclofenac | prednisolone

Comment from: winny, on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: March 25

I started cimzia in January and found relief within 2 days. I have had RA for 25 years and am on meth, pred, arthrotec. After 3 months my pain seems to be returning, has anyone else experienced this? Also dizziness, fatigue and anxiety is becoming a problem.

Related Reading: cimzia | arthrotec | dizziness

Comment from: Emelia, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 27

I have had RA for 4 years. I have been very pleased with the effectiveness; short time period it took to start getting relief; the careful consideration in the design of the product. Had tried several biologics with limited or no relief of symptoms. Cimzia has a loading dose unlike the other biologics I had used. I found relief within a month. Had problems with my other biologics "wearing off" a couple days prior to next injection. This has not happened with Cimzia. Have not suffered from many side effects. Have some irritation at the injection site which resolves within a couple days. The injection can cause a burning sensation during administration but bringing the drug to room temp and icing the injection site prior to admin does help decrease that. Have had thrush which was treated with one dose oral pill. Have had one flare while on Cimzia but I had a respiratory infection and had to hold my injection for several weeks. However, once I restarted I had immediate relief again. The syringe has the most thoughtful design I have ever used as it has large grip,and large plunger to push, and a soft silicone ring on the cap making it easy to remove. The plunger moves with ease so this has worked well for limited mobility. The texture of the materials reduces slippage, easy to grip and don't have to use forceful movements to administer. I worked as a Registered Nurse and have used many syringes this is by far the most consumer friendly that I have used.The packaging is also thoughtful as it uses velcro to secure it shut, no box fumbling.

Related Reading: thrush

Comment from: mommyofthree, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: July 27

I have only taken the first dose of the medication but had some scary side effects. About four hours after injecting Cimzia I was awoken by severe dizziness, numbness of my tongue, tingling in my arms, hands, and legs, shortness of breath, swelling of my lips...I have never felt like this before. I had been on Enbrel for 5 years and I have not had any allergies to medication before. I have had a slight improvement in small joint swelling and pain as well as a decrease in the duration of my morning stiffness. After several years of waiting for a new drug I am disappointed. Good luck to everyone-hope it works for you!

Comment from: bunna, 35-44 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: July 14

First of all, like another patient, Remicaide had given up on me too. I also read someone saying they now have allergies to bandaids. I actually developed this with Remicaide and was told that it was a hypersensitivity issue- that and the lack of response eventually caused me to quit using that med. I have been on Cimzia for 11 months now and have mixed reviews. It never lasts the four weeks that it is supposed to. For the first couple of weeks, I see great improvement then weeks 3 and 4 go downhill quickly. My doctor was going to try an intermediate dose but I cannot stay healthy long enough to do that. That is my biggest complaint- I am always sick- with something...- I had total knee replacement in 5/08 and now think I have a bone infection- If so, will have to have the whole knee taken out, bones scraped, and a new knee put in. I am not sure if the short lived improvement is worth the side effects. Also, I saw many posts about the use of Narcotics- I was there (Fentanyl, Percocet, Oxycontin) and all I can tell you is that they almost ruined my life. I understand the pain and am not trying to judge but if you have any alternatives, try to get off these. Since I have been dealing with the pain so long now- 14 years- I usually just cope. At most, I take 2 Vicodins- They help but do not get rid of it totally. All the others eventually made me non functional. It always seems to be a no-no win situation with Crohn's. I wish someone would come up with a cure instead of all these funky meds...

Related Reading: percocet | oxycontin

Comment from: elleswraps, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 20

I think everyone who has Chrons should try this drug. It is easy because it is shipped to your home, a nurse comes and gives it to you, and it really has worked like no other! It doesn't make you gain weight (like steroids) either! YAY! I agree with the posts that say it makes you sleepy the day after. It does the same to me. I also seem to get a cold, or coughing the next day. But like many, I wouldn't stop taking this medicine! Oh, I too, feel that the second shot stings more than the first!!...whether it be the thigh or tummy! Weird! I do have a question i was hoping someone could help me with? My doctor has had me on pain killers for the past 2 years with my severe chrons....although no surgeries, I was in TONS of pain. I was on fentynol and lots of opiates. Now, I am only taking 10mg Norco, 2 every 8 hours. Now that I'm on Cimzia, I feel that I can go with no pills. But I am afraid of the withdrawl symptoms i have gone through before. Does anyone have any advice for me?? I am thinking of asking to take Suboxone, but I'm not sure if that will make things worse! Or do you think that I should stay on my Norco? I am quite functional on them, but i do not work now, and since the new shots are working, it is time to get back to work! Thank you to anyone who posts on here to help me! Please feel free to email me at [email protected] THANKS~!!!

Related Reading: norco | cimzia | suboxone