Cipro

Comment from: Chantel(CCRN), 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: August 29

No problems experienced and infection cleared. I think all the people who have had complications associated with this drug need to remember that it is a drug, and all drugs have possible side effects, that is why there are warnings documented. The percentage of individuals worldwide who have complications linked with this drug is very small. Anytime you take any kind of pharmaceutical there is a risk of getting the 'short straw', this is just unlucky and others reading these comments should still take what is prescribed, I have cared for a number of people in ICU who have almost died from untreated UTI's and developed permernant renal failure. My advice would be to take the medication but if any side effects present cease the drug and seek immediate advice from your doctor - don't sit on the symptoms waiting for them to resolve. Remember better to be safe than sorry.

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 07

Cipro is a "broad spectrum" antibiotic which will also kill ALL the healthy bacteria in your body. Other choices for UTI's are better such as Macrobid, which only travels through the urinary tract. If you must take Cipro, please follow with probiotics, yogurts, and no sugar to prevent yeast and parasitic overgrowth!

Related Reading: cipro | macrobid

Comment from: NA, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: June 01

Caused severe problems-exhaustion/fatigue, depression, anxiety attacks, insomnia, hypoglycemia, muscle weakness, triggered food allergies, auditory disturbances, cognitive problems, brain fog. I took it 6 weeks ago and I can't get out of bed-severe disabling exhaustion!! Don't touch this drug...don't do it. This should be saved for life threatening emergencies only. Your doctor can prescribe you something else. You may not experience side effects until weeks or months after you stop taking it. It is not worth it. This happens to a LOT of people, not just a select few. Be aware of what you are putting into your body. If you have CFS, don't touch it for sure. It damages the mitochondrial DNA. Plus it is made with fluoride-a known neurotoxin.

Related Reading: depression | anxiety | insomnia

Comment from: mrsiliglenn, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 19

After 3 days of a 10 day treatment, this drug made me physically ill. I had shakes, headache, dizzieness, heart racing, no energy, horrible taste in my mouth, numbness in my arms and lightheaded. I stopped taking this drug because I thought I was having a heart attack. My symptoms have gone away from the UTI, but I will need to see the Dr. again to make sure that it is completely gone. 3 days were enough for me... I would not recommend this drug at all. Every side effect that you could possibly have, I did. Horrible medication.

Related Reading: headache | heart attack

Comment from: sports, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: May 28

OMG!!! I'm being treated for what they think is an UTI (I'm convinced it is kidney infection) and started on Bactrim Saturday, was doubled over Tuesday so I went back to the Dr. They wrote a script for Cipro. Holy crap, DO NOT take this drug!! One dose and in 20 minutes my hands and feet started tingling, I broke out in a pure sweat, my wrists and ankles started to hurt like heck and I was having involuntary movements in bed. 13 hours later I'm still tingling. $100 down the drain, but I'm not putting up with these side effects as I have read they can be permanent. I hope only one dose doesn't ruin me forever.

Related Reading: kidney infection | bactrim

Comment from: FloxieHope, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 06

Horrible drug! It took me 18 months to recover physically and mentally from the effects of cipro. My tendons hurt, I could barely walk for a while, I had anxiety and depression issues, peripheral neuropathy and more. Eventually I recovered but it was a horrible journey. If you want to read my story, it's on floxiehope dot com - http://floxiehope.com/lisas-recovery-story-cipro-toxicity/

Related Reading: cipro | peripheral neuropathy

Comment from: 65-74 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: April 28

Taking this drug for only 2 days..my eyes swelled shut...the back pain was severe...my diaphram hurt..breathing hurt...my right leg swelled..into my foot...this stuff is dangerous..needs to be taken off the market !!...I reported this medication the CDC !!

Comment from: Phanay, 65-74 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 07

Ciprofloxacin: Never again! 10 days of Extreme migrains, skin peeling, flu like symptoms, Bad acid reflux, rough skin, painful legs, tender breasts, spine pain, heart palpatations on last day. Side effects continued 3 days after the 10 day treatment. I was not able to make the 40 mile trip to the doc because of the extreme pain. So stuck it out. Could not be out of bed for long. This is a horrible medication! When they gave this to me, I asked for pain pills to go with it. Was told that I would have no pain after I started taking it!

Related Reading: ciprofloxacin | flu

Comment from: nancello5, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 03

I am left with sever leg muscle weekness after taking this drug that should have never been prescribed to me as I have a Peripherial neuropathy - I figured this out after 3x's Dr's will not admit this adds to my neuropathy, but I know it does. Do Not take this medication!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment from: deb, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 13

horrible! can't believe they prescribe this, many symtoms- you name- had to quit after I forced myself to take all of 4 days out of ten- and my doc was suprised at reactions- what the heck! read the 3 page insert. wish I'd never taken it, and hope I don't have any long term effects from it.

Comment from: Pat, 65-74 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 19

Had 3 UTI's in a row. Took Cipro, Citfen, and Cipro again. Developed acute Achilles tendonitis, burning and swelling in ankles and hands. This drug should be off the market.

Related Reading: cipro

Comment from: Bisa, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: August 30

DO NOT TAKE THIS DRUG!!! I experienced the following side effects from Cipro: 1. Weakness in my legs 2. Tightness of the tendons in my legs 3. Brain fog 4. Loss of memory 5. Loss of peripheral vision 6. Loss of appetite and weight 7. Loss of flexibility 8. Loss of balance 9. Loss of energy 10. Dry mouth 11. Hives 11. Anxiety 12. Pain in my feet I was a healthy 32 year old who did cross-fit regularly until I took Cipro. For months afterward I could barely walk. Most of my symptoms did not occur until 2 weeks after I stopped taking the Cipro. Adverse effects can happen at any time. DO NOT TAKE ANY FLUOROQUINOLONES - CIPRO, AVELOX, LEVAQUIN, FLOXIN, ETC. THEY CAN RUIN YOUR HEALTH!!

Related Reading: dry mouth | hives | anxiety

Comment from: prone2uti, on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: December 04

For the last 3 years I get reoccuring urinary tract infections & have been prescribed lots of antibotics by my urologist. He has ran every test & did exams to try to find why i get them so often but so far no luck figuring it out. Cipro is the only med that works for me. I dont have any side effects with this med. To me it's a miracle med because uti's make me very uncomfortable & its the only thing that gives me releif.

Related Reading: urinary tract infections

Comment from: Lily2006, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: February 24

Cipro is not worth the side effects. Please, please do yourself a favor and get educated on this poison of a drug instead of just taking it because your doctor prescribed it. Day 1 and 2 of takingredients Cipro and I felt out of my mind. Could focus, zoned out, hard to concentrate. Day 3 I woke up in the middle of the night with extreme pain in both ankles. Later that day I had difficulty walking as my ankle pain developed into ankle pain and leg pain. I had leg spasms, weakness, shakiness, and lots of pain that felt like I was getting hit with a hammer. Called the doctor and they determinedon't I have tendinitis in both legs. I'm not sure how long I'm going to suffer with this, but do yourself a favor and research Cipro Tendinitis, as it is different than regular tendinitis. Please choose a differenew drug!!! This is way too potent and the pharmacy and doctors don't even warn you of the "rare" side effects.

Related Reading: ankle pain

Comment from: 25-34 (Patient) Published: December 10

I have a reaction to Cipro only in the vaginal area! My skin literally ripped open and I had lesions, plus two round circular marks (one on Butt and one front near bikini line). Was told this was ringworm and STD by two doctors!!! All tests for those were negative...a year or two later I took another antibiotic (same family as Cipro ; ended with -floxacin) in Thailand for bacterial infection and had the exact same reaction within thirty minutes. Horrible pain, burning, itching!

Related Reading: ringworm

Fungal Skin Infections: Types, Symptoms, and Treatments See Slideshow
Comment from: Angel Artist, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: May 01

OMG!!! I have been in constant pain (acute tendonitis - hands, arms, legs, feet, shoulders & even my jaws) for the past year & 4 months after taking Cipro 2 x day for 4 days for a urinary tract infection that turned out to be negative afterall. I thought I had the flu (for the first time in 15 yrs.) but later found out that was a side effect of the Cipro, as well as my face blowing up like a balloon. Forget trying to get medical help because the Dr.'s will all be in denial (due to their lack of knowledge on the subject) and they will pass it off as fibromyalgia. Bull!! My entire body has been swollen for the past year & 4mo's. My left thumb is swollen and feels like someone is pushing a screwdriver into it. My hands, knees, legs, arms, feet swollen and painful every day. If anyone knows of a Dr. who can help me to control this horrible pain and flush this poison out of my body; then PLEASE let me know. I will travel the World to get to him. The Pharm. Co.'s state that this only happens to 1% of the population. Again, BULL!!! Look how many folks are documenting their suffering of the side effects. Do the MATH!! I heard that Dr.s get a kick-back for every prescription they write for Cipro. Yeah, why would they blow the whistle on this poison. Think about it!!!

Related Reading: cipro | urinary tract infection | flu

Comment from: 45-54 Published: February 04

My daughter suffered hallucinations from this antibiotic, I suppose an unusual side effect. However it resulted in the death of a 25 year old beautiful young woman.

Comment from: Chrissy, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: May 13

Shortly after taking Cipro I could barely get out of bed. I had tendinitis in almost all of my joints. It was excruciating. It's been 4 1/2 months and my knees and shoulders are still causing me a lot of pain. Cipro is toxic and wish I had known at the time that it was black labeled. BE CAREFUL!!!

Comment from: Msbuteau, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: May 29

Cured my UTI but at a tremendous cost. Ive been practically disabled since taking this drug and have spent the last 3 years in and out of hospitals due to dangerously low blood pressure and uncontrollable hypoglycemia. It has damaged my nervous system, impaired my ability to walk regularly, causes an inability to sleep, severe migraines...etc I have brought my concerns to doctors who reject my claims but who still are unable to properly diagnose my ailments. It has been a nightmare... Before this drug I lived a healthy, normal life

Related Reading: low blood pressure

Comment from: April, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: May 18

Drs. should NEVER HAVE PRESCRIBED. Was each time a SUSPECTED UTI. Dr. DID NOT DO LABS. Cipro, Avelox, & Levaquin. They DESTROYED my GUT, so INFLAMMED!!! TENDON & NERVE DAMAGE that still suffering badly. Excruciating Pain. Was FORMERLY VERY HEALTHY & VERY PHYSICALLY ACTIVE. NO LONGER ABLE. AM NOW DISABLED IN CHRONIC PAIN. Lost appetite for 1 year. Gradually regained appetite but can no longer eat any meats but ORGANIC meats or I suffer EXACERBATION of PAIN. AM UNABLE TO do even regular chores without exacerbation of Pain. For last 5 years have used BABY WIPES at toilet after Bowel Movement. Have had NO SYMPTOMS of UTI in 5 years. Drs. too often prescribe these STRONG ANTIBIOTICS designed for SERIOUS INFECTIONS such as ANTRAX and serious Pneumonias for the slightest infection with no Labs to confirm. I NEVER HAD ANY SERIOUS INFECTION TO WARRENT SUCH STRONG ANTIBIOTICS. Bascially Drs. POISONED ME. And my MEDICAL RECORDS APPEAR TO HAVE BEEN SCRUBBED. All references to Diagnosis and Prescriptions have been deleted. MY PROOF of 12 years of Reckless, needless antibiotic FLUOROQUINOLONE Prescriptions is found on my Pharmacy Records. The fact that Medical Records were ALTERED speaks to COVER-UP and GUILT by Drs. and Pharmacists who dispensed. ALL HAD BEEN FOREWARNED By ME of my sensitivities to these and other specific RXs. Worst Reaction was from 4x WHAMMY 2008-2009. Completely broke me. No recovery from Pain. And RXs were NOT NECESSARY. I had NO SERIOUS INFECTION. 1997-2009.

Related Reading: avelox | levaquin | chronic pain

Comment from: Ellie, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: August 29

Was NOT prepared for these side effects: headaches, nausea, constipation, dizziness, fatigue. At first I thought it was the UTI. But after 6 days of treatment, I realize its the drug. I am not some impressionable or irrationals person. These side effects are real & awful. There must be something better - ask your doctor!

Related Reading: constipation | dizziness | fatigue

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: May 27

I was prescribed this drug today for a UTI. In the past my doctor has prescribed Bactrim which worked great, but unfortunately the last time I took it, I broke out in hives. I took my first dose of Cipro today after dinner and 15 minutes later, I thought I was going to have to call 911! Out of no where my heart started racing and my head and chest felt heavy. I had this weird numb feeling rush over me and I honestly thought I was going to pass out. This feeling lasted about 5 minutes but it left me a jittery mess. I had to lie down afterwards. My nervousness has lasted for 5 hours now and I'm beginning to get a headache. I'm afraid to take anything because it said no caffeine or ibuprofen. This drug is horrible! I will never take this again. I'm definitely phoning my doctor in the AM.

Related Reading: bactrim | hives | cipro

Comment from: Laana, 65-74 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: May 14

Just finished 3 days on Cipro, 500mg, 2xday. Followed all the instructions regarding foods to avoid and drinking lots and lots of water. Drank bottled spring water mixed with low-sugar cranberry juice. No coffee, no dairy products. One thing I believe helped me avoid any side effects is taking probiotic acidophilus capsules during the 3 days. I take them anyway, but read that it's helpful esp. when on any kind of antibiotics. UTI cleared up. I had a recurrence of UTI after being on Macrobid for 10 days. That is why the doctor prescribed Cipro.

Related Reading: cranberry | macrobid

Comment from: ciproispoisondotcom, 25-34 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 05

CRIPPLED ME!!!! I took just 12 pills in October of 2009 and have been unable to walk ever since! I am now on disability, and live with suicide-level pain 24/7/365. No one ever warned me this poison could cause permanent, crippling side effects--not my doctor, not the pharmacist, and certainly not the drug's warning label. What Bayer is doing with this "medication" is beyond criminal. I have lost absolutely everything. Oh, and I'm only 30 so don't believe that B.S. that it only happens to old people. Please read my story at: www.ciproispoison.com

Related Reading: suicide

Comment from: Miles High, 55-64 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 06

Only problem is that as a diabetic it raised my blood pressure to unacceptable levels by my standards. My doc took a sample to try but was not overly concerned about the rise in blood pressure.

QUESTION