Claritin D

Comment from: miminancy, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 29

Had runny nose(clear) , sinus pressure and severe headaches. It alleviated all symptom. Recommend only 1 twelve hour tab per day as they can keep you up at night.

Comment from: Killintme2, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 04

I took ClaritinD for just a weekend, and experienced horrible symptoms all weekend! I had a very dry mouth, felt like vomitting, tightness in chest,shoulders & neck, thought I was having a panic attack , insominia, headaches, weakness in arms and legs. I WILL NEVER AGAIN TAKE THIS DRUG. The minute I stopped taking this, that evening I was much better. I honestly don't know how they can sell this stuff! Look on www.askapatient.com and you will see I am not alone!! Incrediable this is on the shelves. I'm telling you this is some scary stuff. BUYER BEWARE!

Related Reading: dry mouth

Comment from: rpg93933, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: February 27

i've been using claritin d for at least 2 yrs now.works great for allergies,but be very careful of the side effects.please check rxlist.com for side effects THAT ARE NOT GIVEN TO THE PUBLIC!didn't mine the hyper feeling you get when you take this med. since it was only once a day.but concurrent use is not recommended,which Dr. did not tell me,and not on the label,but the side effects almost convinced me and my Dr. i should be on anti-depression meds.restless,nervous,anxious,on a daily basis,but long term,its even worse,flu like symptoms,depression,agitation,irritability and several others.scared me alot when i read reviews of other people with the exact same symptoms.the psuedoephedrine in the claritin d was the culprit.don't mean to scare anybody,but if you are taking any kind of anti-depressents make sure you tell your Dr. you are taking this otc med.

Related Reading: claritin d | depression | flu

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: June 01

I take this one because the D helps keep me from coughing and allows me to sleep better at nights. During the day it lets me breath through my noise. It also keeps my eyes from itching and running.

Comment from: CC, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: April 10

One pill daily worked to alleviate severe year round allergy symptoms, BUT, I broke out in red, hot hives within an hour of ingesting. Doctors couldn't figure out what was triggering the hives and I didn't realize it was the Claritin-D till one year later and still suffering with hives. When my bottle ran out, I stopped taking Claritan D and within days of the build up of the drug leaving my system the hives disappeared! I was hive free for a month. Then I decided to try it again this Spring. Sure enough, took one dose and one hour later there were the hives again. This patient is done with Claritan D! I will have to find another OTC drug to take all year to help my constant allergies to dust, pollen, mold, trees and various other triggers.

Related Reading: allergy | hives | claritin

Comment from: Spring Is Here, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: April 25

I only need it when the trees, (lilac too, flowers,and grass start growing. Especially on windy days. Claritin D has been very effective for me but I stick to the 12 hr dose because the 24 hr dose keeps me UP all night. No other allergies. The downfall - takes forever to digest & kick in to relieve my symptoms. Pharm Co that manufactures it should make some changes in the coating for a more rapid release of product.

Related Reading: claritin d

Comment from: 19-24 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 25

Took this drug when in high school (prescition only at the time) and did encounter big mental/mood swings, as well as, loss of appetite. After a couple weeks on the drug they went away for the most part. But, the mental swings were pretty bad sometimes. Made me think I was bi-polar

Comment from: 65-74 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: June 14

This drug absolutely addresses all of my allergy symptoms, but has a decided downside for me as well. The "D" component is really a type of "Speed". It speeds up your entire system, including your heart rate. It also sometimes caused me to feel "on edge". Also, even through I only take the 12-Hour variety, it does disrupt my sleeping, so I only take it every now and again.

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 30

Within a half hour of taking the 12 hour pill I felt relief in my sinuses without even taking a pain reliever with it. It does dry you out (mouth, skin etc.) but not as much as over the counter Sudafed. I took it at night and won't do that again because it does keep you up if you are sensitive to that type of thing. One 12 hour pill in the AM and something different to get you through the night works great.

Related Reading: sudafed

Comment from: jillybean805, 35-44 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: June 20

I have been using this drug off and on for 2 years. I feel SO much better when I take this medicine!! I have energy and focus & I can breath. It decreases my appetite & helps my clarity. Admittedly I need to drink more water when I take it as it can dry me out, but I should drink lots of water anyway. Love it!!!

Comment from: Smith88, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: August 14

I tried claritin d12 because my doctor said I was showing signs of seasonal allergies. My doctor said to take one in the morning and one at night.It was fine during the day but I did not sleep more than 3 or 4 hours in the night. Insomnia is not worth taking this drug. I didn't feel tired during the whole night, but by 5:30 am a headache came on strong because of the lack of sleep. My heart felt like it was beating faster than normal as well. Will not take this drug again personally.

Related Reading: claritin | insomnia | headache

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: May 10

I have been using Claritin-D for years. It is the only medication that alleviates sinus pressure.

Related Reading: claritin

Comment from: crimso, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: January 22

i started taking this drug to open up my nasal passages. by day i could deal with the limited air flow but at night i snored terribly. i have been informed by my wife that i no longer snore. the few caveats are: it takes a few hours to start working and causes me to grind my teeth while sleeping if taken too close to bedtime. to counteract the former i take it early afternoon rather than before dinner.

Comment from: Dee128, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: May 22

Great to releive that terrible sinus pressure that comes to me with Spring allergies (very bad in NJ). Wort part, DRY MOUTH... I have also noticed some loss of appetite, but niether are bad enough for me to not take it... I do take only one dose of the 12-hr in the morning, and not again at night - it will keep me up.

Related Reading: dry mouth

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: July 01

The drug managed my allergy symptoms, but it did make me feel depressed without reason. I also noticed some heart irregularities initially.

Related Reading: allergy

Comment from: yourmom, 25-34 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: March 24

I have Chronic Idiopathic Angioedema and Chronic Idiopathic Urticaria for the past 11 years and the Claratin D 24 is the only medication, otc or prescribed, that keeps all the symptoms of this condition away. Since taking this medication regularly (every day before I go to bed), I have not had one flare up. My condition was serious, I was admitted into the hospital 5 times in one year, with 30+ trips to the ER in that same year. This medication has literally saved my life.

Comment from: fanny5060, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 31

this medication works for the most part-I have a cough and once i take it, the cough is significantly decreased. The only issue i have with this medication is that it makes me depressed and or moody

Related Reading: cough

QUESTION

Allergies can best be described as: See Answer
Comment from: KLM, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: May 03

I was very happy with the results of Claritin D, and it really did help out my allergies. HOWEVER, starting last July, 2014, I started having severe swelling in my feet and legs every couple of weeks.I had been going to the doctor for this problem and she could not find any cause for the the severe swelling. I went back 6 weeks ago because the swelling was getting a lot worse and going into my hands and arms as well. I could'nt wear regular shoes or even put pants on, had to wear dresses and house shoe's during the episodes. Also felt like the areas that were swollen were bruised when they were not, It caused me a GREAT deal of pain and suffering, especially when it started to occur more often. Come to find out, I was having a severe allergic reaction to the Claritin D. I have not taken it since I went to the doctor 6 weeks ago because she switched my medication, I have not had ANY swelling since then. This is a very rare, but serious side effect that is not on the label.. I am not saying dont take the medication, But I couldnt find anyone else who had this issue, so I wanted to let others know just in case they also had unexplained swelling and was taking this same medication.

Related Reading: claritin d | claritin

Comment from: Karl Sy, 35-44 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 03

I had a virus with congestion. the medicine (Claritin D12) definitely helped with my nasal congestion but it also kept me awake fro 48 hours. Whats the use of relief from nasal congestion if my body cant sleep. I suggest stay away from this drug. I am only giving a 2 because it relieved my congestion and 1 for my most miserable 48 hours.

Comment from: Itchy nose and rhinhorrhea, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: April 14

I am an adult over fifty years old. I took Claritin-D for just a day, and experienced horrible symptoms all day and maybe next day, I had a very dry mouth, felt like vomiting, loss of appetite,tightness in chest,shoulders & neck,restlessness, thought I was having a panic attack , insomnia, headaches, felt tired. I WILL NEVER AGAIN TAKE THIS DRUG. I would not recommend this for adolescents either.

Related Reading: dry mouth | insomnia

Comment from: 35-44 (Patient) Published: February 29

I live where "seasonal" allergies are a year-round issue, so I take Claritan-D 12-hour nearly every day for itching eyes and sneezing/itchy/stuffy nose. Have been doing so for years. Used to take the 24-hr version, but finally figured out I sleep better without the "D" (decongestant=pseudoephedrine) in my system. This has proven to be the most effective OTC allergy medicine for me with no side effects. Unfortunately, Claritan without the "D" provides minimal relief for me, so if I really need an antihistamine in the evenings I will resort to Benadryl (which does make me sleepy).

Related Reading: pseudoephedrine | allergy | benadryl

Comment from: zoeybug, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: August 21

sleepless, nightmares, jitters

Related Reading: nightmares

Comment from: c, 25-34 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: August 11

my doctor told me to use claritan for flu like symptoms.mistakenly bought claritan d which closed my throat i could not swallow my own saliva.a hellish experience this product should be taken off shelves and or needs a prescription.I have learned some of ingredients are not approved by fda.Do not take this!

Related Reading: flu

Comment from: Filmiac, 35-44 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: April 18

I have to admit this is the one medication that seems to calm down my allergies. The 12 hour dose is stronger so it has some effect on me. I'm still pretty miserable but I can at least somewhat function at a limited capacity. Just do what you have to do and try and spend the rest of your time relaxing. Mine, luckily is just seasonal and it will go away eventually.

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 16

This is the best medication I have taken for my allergies, and is the only solution I've found for my burning eyes during seasonal allergies. The WEIRD side effect: I lose all sense of appetite. And I'm a huge foodie... I'm always eating. On this drug, I don't eat all... kind of scary.