clindamycin

Comment from: mattycat, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: March 07

I had a tooth extraction, and developed a bacterial infection along with dry socket. I took 300mg capsules 4xday x 6 days. It cleared up the infection quickly. I had no stomach upset, even though I have an old stomach ulcer. I am a nurse, and have seen this drug prescribed many times for various bacterial conditions.. I would recommend it. I personally have many drug allergies, and had no problems with this drug.

Related Reading: dry socket

Comment from: Eternidade, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: November 29

This is a highly toxic and dangerous medication. I10 years ago I took 3 courses of clindamycin for a persistent tooth abscess. It did not clear it up. The day after I stopped taking the medication, I developed a rash from the tip of my head to my toes. It persisted for weeks. I also developed ulcerative colitis, with nausea and diarrhea, which lasted for 3 months, and taste perversion. I gradually developed a cascade of allergies, as the clindamycin destroyed many of the CYP450 isoenzymes our bodies use to metabolize toxins, permanently, so that I can no longer take ANY medications, food additives, alcohol, caffeine, etc. I cannot have anesthesia, pain medication, antibiotics, nothing. I even have anaphylactic reactions to certain food additives now, which means that eating out is a dangerous undertaking. My whole life has been adversely changed by this medication, and may eventually be the cause of my death. If I get sick or badly injured, I cannot have surgery, nor can I be treated for an infection. I cannot have dental work done. There have been others like me, but many have not lived long. If there are others who have similar symptoms, please post here. We need to come together to stop this happening to anyone else.

Related Reading: clindamycin | rash | colitis

Comment from: Marla, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: April 23

This drug was prescribed by my dentist for an absessed tooth. The drug is horrible in that it caused me to have severe heartburn.

Related Reading: heartburn

Comment from: annastylist, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: March 13

my son had an infection on his gum..and took this medicine for 7 days and now he has this terrible looking rash alllllll over his legs and his body and arms and chest and back...poor kid...now he has to take steroids for the next 3 days to make sure his rash is nothing serious...

Comment from: [email protected], 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 23

this has been the worst side effects i have ever encountered. inner ear problems, headaches,stomach,heartburn,vertigo,just to many to list.all this for a tooth.

Related Reading: vertigo

Comment from: Cleocin and Flagyl Hater, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: July 22

DON'T EVER TAKE THIS DRUG!! I was given this for an infection I received after a root canal. It taste horrible, kills your esphogus no matter how much water you drink and feels like you have the worst heart burn for weeks after you've taken it...but the worst thing is the uncontrollable diarrhea you get from it!!! It eats the skin off your bum before you can even wipe it off and literally is non stoppable no matter where you are or if you just went to the bathroom. It's not the normal kind of diarrhea either its dark green blackish sticky sick smelling toxic waste!! It's absolutely gross and to have to deal with this after the pain of root canal...extremely painful indigestion...and to have to fear this stuff running out of you at any moment....no thank you!! All the antibiotics in the world there has to be a better one than this!!!!!

Related Reading: diarrhea | indigestion

Comment from: infectedtooth2015, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 13

I was prescribed this drug for an infection found during a root canal. The first 2 days were awful. I could barely eat and I would throw the medicine up within hours of taking it. By day 3, I was ok. TAKE THIS MEDICINE WITH A PROBIOTIC. Try yogurt or a probiotic pill. I am now pain free and able to take the medicine with ease. It works, just give it time.

Comment from: surfergirl, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 12

STAY AWAY FROM THIS DRUG!!! I was given this medication after dental work to prevent infection. Let me say that I have had dental work done before as well as a breast augmentation where I needed something similar, I have never had any side effects with other medications but had unbearable side effects with this one. I cannot believe the awful feeling this medication gave me, I felt like death was knocking on my door. After the first day of taking it I felt so very nauseous for HOURS, then finally PUKE PUKE PUKE and abdominal pain along with dizziness like I have been on a merry go round at high speed for hours. NEVER in my life have I felt this sick. This awful feeling is far worse than actually having the tooth extracted. I wish I would have read the reviews first before taking this medication. After reading other reviews I know I'm not the only one having a bad reaction to it, I feel like crap but looks like others have experienced far worse. This drug needs to be off the market.

Related Reading: abdominal pain | dizziness

Comment from: Robin H., 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 14

I had post operative infection after bunionectomy. Though I've had trouble with antibiotics before the surgeon prescribed Cleocin. A few days after I finished meds, I started having bloody diarrhea. I had a bad feeling from just reading the "warning sheet" that comes with this stuff. I had C-diff. I was sick for several weeks and finally hospitalized. The initial treatment for the C-diff didn't work so I ended up on another VERY expensive antibiotic -- thank God I had insurance with a maximum co-pay. I honestly thought I was going to die from that stuff. Very nasty. The medicine itself though never upset my stomach like other meds do and it rid my body of every bacteria in it...good and bad. It cleared up the chronic sinusitus I'd had for years and the post op infection. While it's a wonder drug if you haven't been exposed to C-diff -- if you have, which unfortunately you likely won't know until your done with this medicine -- it's a nightmare drug.

Related Reading: diarrhea

Comment from: [email protected], 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 12

I had a tooth extraction a month ago and took amoxicillin for it. After healing and prep for a bridge, I had my bridge attached last week. Two days later, I had the worst throbbing toothache I had ever had. The next day, I was swollen from my eye to my jaw--complete with a shiner. I called my dentist (Sunday) and he called a script for Clindamycin and Vicodin to my pharmacy. The next day, the swelling had gone down a tiny bit. The next day, it had gone down more and I had a root canal done on the tooth in front of the one I had pulled a month ago. I am taking 3 300mg doses per day for 10 days. So far, I am feeling so much better, swelling is gone and no more Vicodin. Hopefully, nothing else will happen but I feel almost normal and will go back to work tomorrow.

Related Reading: amoxicillin | toothache | clindamycin

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 17

The horrible side effects of this medication are worse than the MRSA. I am on day 7 of 14. After reading all of the reviews, I think I am done with it. It is 4:00a.m. and the heartburn is like nothing I have ever felt. Stomach pain, teeth numb, headache, dizzy. Thank the Lord I work at home.

Related Reading: mrsa | heartburn | headache

Comment from: 13-18 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: May 06

I started taking this medication right after I had my wisdom teeth surgically removed. I have been taking Clindamycin for almost two days and I have to end use because it is causing extreme chest pain, dizziness, and also nausea. (Which I knew would happen.) The only reason I had to take this drug is because I am allergic to Ammox. and also Ceclor/Keflex. I do not recommend this drug unless you don't mind having chest pain, dizziness, and nausea which can be paired with vomiting.

Related Reading: wisdom teeth | chest pain | dizziness

Comment from: tazber, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 26

I read the reviews here before taking this med. I was okay the first few days and thought I'd be one of the lucky ones, without the side effects. I wasn't. Day 3 I have the most awful heartburn I have ever had in my life! I drank extra water as suggested and feel like I'm getting worse instead of better. I will no longer take this medicine at all. I don't normally write reviews & do what my doctor suggests but this drug isn't worth the side effects.

Comment from: pomopsyche, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 30

I began taking this for a painful tooth abscess. Just two days in I was so miserable I had to stop. I had painful stomach cramps and nausea that lasted for hours, even though I didn't take it on an empty stomach. I started sweating and had fever symptoms but when I took my temp, I didn't have a fever. I had horrible dreams and couldn't sleep right and began to have panic/anxiety type reactions. I had started eating yogurt as soon as I started (I always do with anti-biotics) so perhaps that saved me from the horrible diahrhea, but I had several soft bowel movements throughout the day which is really unusual for me. Worse yet, it wasn't doing anything for the abscess on my gum. I called the pharmacist who got the dentist to prescribe amoxicillen instead and within a day the abscess was greatly reduced and the other symptoms subsided, too. Clindamycin is a scary drug - NEVER AGAIN. I appreciate the comments others left so now I know I wasn't imagining things or going crazy!

Related Reading: fever | anxiety

Fungal Skin Infections: Types, Symptoms, and Treatments See Slideshow
Comment from: ahbyd8, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 26

THIS MEDICINE CAUSES A SEVERE ITCHY RASH AND SEVERE HEARTBURN. I was given this medication when diagnosed with a peritonsillar abscess. My condition presented as a very severe sore throat on one side of my throat. Actually, my tonsils were removed when I was a child. My condition improved immediately and then the sore throat came back on the other side. I experienced severe heartburn while taking the med but the instructions said to finish the whole prescription, so I continued to take the medication as the sore throat had not gone away. I just put up with the heartburn. After 6 days of the 7-day dosage I broke out in a severe red, hot, itchy rash all over my body, scalp and arms and I still have the heartburn. I am going to a different doctor today to try to get some relief for this rash. I also have diarrhea and the beginnings of a vaginal yeast infection. Do not take this medication.

Related Reading: rash | heartburn | sore throat

Comment from: spikejazz, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: May 27

I was prescribed clindamycin to prevent bacterial infection after having a root canal redone. Took 300 mg immediately then 150 mg every 6 hours. On day 3 I woke up with diarrhea. I'm very frustrated and frightened because on the drug info sheet and in these user reviews there all all these warnings about serious digestive problems, but they say not to take ant-acids etc. and to call your doc if the diarrhea persists for more than 3 days. so...I'm supposed to have diarrhea untreated for 3 days before I can get help and at that point my life may be in danger?? This is ridiculous! I'm going to call my doc, but I'm worried about what he's going to say! I hope I'm not in serious medical trouble.

Related Reading: clindamycin | diarrhea

Comment from: Augustus, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: August 28

I was given Cleocin for oral surgery to remove 4 wisdom teeth. I got diarrhea on day 4 of 5 while taking the drug. I called the oral surgeon and he told me to stop taking it. I did not get an oral infection, which was good, but a week later I started getting diarrhea and horrible stomach pains. After many bathroom trips, my bumm got very sore. I kept telling my oral surgeon and he just kept telling me to eat acidophilis yogurt. The dirrhea continued, plus gas, then a fever. The stomach pains were aweful, I got weak and lost my appetite. Finally, I went to my family doctor who wanted stool samples and blood. Good thing as my stool came back positive for C-Diff. I was then put on Flagyl. With in first 2-3 pills I felt better. Though Flagyl tastes bad, gave me a slight headache, and changes in taste, it's better than ending up in the hospital for C-Diff. If I ever hear "Cleocin or it's generic again, I will not take it, and ask for another antibiotic. I'd take a rash any day.

Related Reading: wisdom teeth | fever | flagyl

Comment from: scags, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: June 30

MRSA, this is the only drug that has helped me with it.

Related Reading: mrsa

Comment from: Just Gan, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: June 14

After having a tooth pulled, I was given this med to take to prevent an infection from setting in. Day 2, I started getting the worse headache , feeling as if one side of my head was going to explode! I could not even function! Then on Day 3, my skin felt like it was crawling off my body, and broke out in a rash, and itched from head to toe digging till I bled! Followed ALL directions! Definately NOT A GOOD ANTIBIOTIC!!!!!!

Related Reading: headache | rash

Comment from: Beth, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 24

Tooth/jaw infection. 7 days into clindamycin developed a raging bladder infection. Now have gastro-intestinal complications which are being analyzed to determine whether c. diff, gastritis, h. pylori or other agents are causing the severe abdominal bloating and pain. It should be noted that pro-biotics as well as yoghurt were consumed at higher than standard levels in an attempt to prevent complications from this drug. I think dentists should be required to read all the negative literature before prescribing this dangerous drug. No tests were run on my infection to determine why it did not respond to amoxicillin within 2 days. We went from a mostly benign antibiotic to a nuclear warhead with no intermediate stops!!!

Related Reading: bladder infection | gastritis | amoxicillin

Comment from: madmom, 19-24 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: August 13

This was prescribed for my 19 yr old after a root canal. She started having stomach upset by day 2 and by day 3 she was in extreme pain. Whole abdominal area hurt. She could barely take a decent breath. We wound up in the ER. She was give 2 different drugs for pain IV that barely touched the pain. Ultrasound of all vital organs revealed nothing, blood and urinalasis was normal. She was still in so much pain 2 days later we went to internist who ordered CT of abdomin and pelvis. Which were clear. The print out from the pharmacy didn't list Abdominal pain as RX list did in the 1# spot. Didn't list it at all. Why didn't hospital and MD immediately assume it was this med? Why should she still be in pain day after stopping taking it for just 3 days??

Related Reading: abdominal pain

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: May 28

I took this medicine to prevent infection after pallet and nasal surgery. I developed C Diff two weeks after taking the medicine. The taste is horrible and was difficult to ingest. C Diff is a horrible stomach and digestive condition (look it up). I have been treated for C Diff for three months and it still has not gone away. This medicine killed all the good bacteria in my digestive system and I know have to see a specialist for treatment on getting back to normal. I would never reccommend this medication unless your life depended on it.

Comment from: karoncb, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: July 04

I not only had very bad heart brun while takeng the drug, I also developed a er bad rash on my somach, and back and up one side of my neck

Related Reading: rash

Comment from: tj, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 03

I had a root canal done about one month ago at which time my gums around the tooth became swollen. my dentist gave me a 10 day dose of amoxicillin which seemed to reduce the swelling for a few days but then it returned. my dentist gave me a new 10 day dose of clindamycin which i have taken for 5 days now. it made my stomach a little uneasy and had given me a very slight head throp when i bent over to pick anything up off of the floor. my stools are are loose but not too bad. i have had to pee 5 times during the night instead of my normal 2 (but i am drinking extra amounts of water as suggested). had some minor chills and then some minor too hot feelings in bed but not too bad. i decided to skip taking any in the middle of the night since i did not want to stay up for 10-30 minutes before going back to bed (this has helped my system i think). i am taking 3 300mg doses per day for 10 days. Noticed some minor sore muscles each morning when i wake up which seem to wear off. I think it is working and i am getting better. Thank you to all the others who made comments which help people understand what this drug can do. I hope those who have had bad reactions recover asap. my suggestion is to not take it right before bed or in the middle of the night. and eating a little yogurt seems to help settle my stomach when taking this Rx.

Related Reading: amoxicillin | clindamycin

Comment from: sanj62, 65-74 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: June 15

I've been on Clindamycin HCL 150 Mg due to my dentist prescribing it. I have experienced a very painful heartburn. Then, I read all these comments and now know it was this medication. I thought you have to finish all the medication but I can't and now I don't want to break out in a rash like someone here described. I wish I could talk to a doctor about this.

Related Reading: clindamycin | heartburn