Clozaril

Comment from: FamilyFullOfCrazy, 45-54 on Treatment for 10+ years Published: September 03

In 1982, my brother was diagnosed at the age of 20 with Schizophrenia and Bipolar-Manic Depressive. He has been on several anti-psychotic and anti-depression over several years. Appx 5 years after Clozaril being available he began taking it. It has been the most helpful and effective anti-psychotic medication for him. As most know, the lab work for blood draw is a pain (once a week!) but for the last year has been going once a month for labs. I also have a nephew that is diagnosed with the same illnesses and hoping he will get placed on Clozaril. If something new should come on the market that is just effective and mental health saving minus the labs, I pray for that day!! I just wish there was a cure for this "dreaming while awake with nightmares" mental illness. God's grace to all who suffer and help care for those with it! I am a caregiver and I salute those who endure!!!

Related Reading: schizophrenia | depression | clozaril

Comment from: marydean, 65-74 on Treatment for 10+ years Published: April 02

my son has been on cloz since 1989. if it had not worked he would never have been discharged he was the 1st person to get it in north dakota.

Comment from: Heather A., 19-24 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: August 13

When I don't take the Clozaril, I can't sleep at night at all. Why does this occur? When I do take the Clozaril, I get tired about 1 to 2 hours after I take it. When I do take it I usually sleep through the whole night. I have to get my blood drawn every other week, which I really don't like. I started taking the Clozaril about 8 to 9 years ago. The thing I really hate is if I don't take it I can't sleep at all during the night. Why did they invent a drug that messes with your sleep patterns? I hate that. Honestly, I do!

Comment from: SunnyJ77, 45-54 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year Published: September 07

My daughter has bipolar 1 and schizophrenia which I am told in combination is called "schizo-affective disorder." Going on 7 years we have had no success with any of the medications she has tried since day one. We were so-o-o-o hopeful to start Clozaril and went through all of the trouble of weekly blood tests etc. It was absolutely the only drug out of a dozen my daughter had tried in the past where she begged me to get her off of it. She couldn't exactly tell me why, just that she would never take this drug again and would be willing to go back to any of the others. We are know on something else brand new with equally disappointing results. I did learn one thing from reading almost every post mentioned online about Clozaril. You really can't go by anyone's success stories when you are talking about a "chemical imbalance." Clozaril either made people more psychotic and with suicidal tendencies who were never that way before or it was a Godsend and made all the difference in quality of life. Mental illness is very frustrating and each case is very unique it seems. We will continue to try everything.

Related Reading: schizophrenia | mental illness

Comment from: [email protected], 55-64 on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: January 13

After prolonged use, memory problems seem to be increasing. Very difficult to maintain employment and relationships when one cannot remember! Otherwise it's been a godsend.

Comment from: tigger, 65-74 on Treatment for 10+ years Published: October 02

This medication seems to be causing cognitive problems - memory; executive function, concentration etc.

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: April 23

Clozaril is the only medication that worked for my schizoaffective disorder. I became a functioning human being and able to participate in every day life without voices constantly hounding me and confusing me. The only draw back to this medication is that you have to get your blood drawn once a week for a whole year and if after that your stable it's fine but if your test comes back too low after that one year is up, you have to start the whole year over again - going once a week to get your blood drawn for the Clozaril. But it's a sacrafice I'm will to make for this wonderful drug - Clozaril gave me back my life. Thank You

Related Reading: schizoaffective disorder

Comment from: bell, 25-34 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: October 19

increadible weight gain...over double original weight

Comment from: 19-24 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: April 23

After being dx year ago. With a 4 Mth hospitalization 3 atypical antipsychotics he was put on Cloazaril. All I can say is wow! Within 3 mths he is working and happy - Downside-Sleepy,Weekly blood work and weight gain

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: September 19

This medication has helped me deal with the voices. I would recommend it to those individuals seeking relief.

Comment from: 25-34 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: April 28

My son suffers from schizophrenia and Bipolar. He has been taking this drug for about a year now. He has had GREAT signs of improvement. He originially was taking depokote, serouquel, and Clozaril. His meds are now decreased from 6 CLoz to 4 and no other meds. He is doing very well, is in school, and on his way to 100% independant. Of course continued medication management, regular therapy, and case management keeps him on right track. Best of luck to all.

Related Reading: schizophrenia | clozaril

Comment from: Marcus, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 10+ years Published: October 19

My brother has been on Clozaril for 12 years plus. He has been in and out of hospitals his whole life and this drug has enabled him to lead somewhat of a normal life. Now, we are unable to find a doctor who takes Medicare and will prescribe this medication. It has been devastating for our family.

Comment from: windy, 65-74 on Treatment for 10+ years Published: June 16

Anyone seen this problem? Discontinued use after 20+ years. Restarted but seems not to be working as well. Also, seem depressed now but not before clozaril or while on it for all those years. A

Related Reading: clozaril

Comment from: [email protected], 35-44 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: November 30

I AM THE MOTHER OF A BI-POLAR SON WITH PSYCHIO-AFFECTIVE DISORDER. HE STARTED THIS DRUG A WEEK AGO AND SO FAR, HE IS STILL DILLUSIONAL AND VERY VERY SLEEPY.

Comment from: hype60ny, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: March 20

Extreme weight gain. Cured my insomnia. Monthy bloodwork and doctors appt. required. Taken at night puts you to sleep but wake up is much better than other anti-psychotics. Causes pain in joints and muscles(not severe).

Related Reading: insomnia

Comment from: fran, 25-34 (Patient) Published: March 08

I have been on clozaril about a week for bi-polar and so far I had great results, even though I have only been taking it for a week. I feel like I am able to cope better on clozaril. I have tried many drugs and clozaril works the best for me.

Comment from: Nate, 19-24 on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: May 04

My son Had taken a lot of drugs that was suppose to help Some helpeda little some made it worse some not at all . Clozaril Has made a world of differance. He acts more like himself.

Comment from: wolf, 25-34 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years Published: June 02

My son was very ill and tried every treatment available. Nothing worked that well until he started taking Clozaril. He is now attending College with great grades and 90% of symptoms gone. We are so thankful.

Comment from: jennym1974, 35-44 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: April 09

At first it was rough w/ the blood work every week. Now i just go every month. It's really a wonder drug for me, i've been out of the hospital for 2 yrs. & 3 mths.

Comment from: micup, 45-54 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: April 10

I've been on Clozaril for around 6 years after trying several other drugs --(Prolixin Zyprexa Risperdal---Each drug was effective in helping with intrusive thoughts and fear. However as a last ditch effort I was put on Clozaril for the lack of severe side affects (ie my eyes rolled to the back of my head, strange movements of my hands). With Clozaril I had mostly the best of both worlds. ,

Related Reading: prolixin | zyprexa | risperdal

Schizophrenia: Symptoms, Types, Causes, Treatment See Slideshow
Comment from: redwoman, 45-54 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: March 08

I took Clozaril for several years. Now I have severe memory problems. Such as remembering faces and names. Tasks that need to be done or schedules. I gained considerable weight, and have not been able to lose weight around the tummy. My doctor spent about three months getting me off of this and on another more recent drug. Thank goodness.

Related Reading: clozaril

Comment from: mick, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: January 14

been 0n cloz since 1995 very effective medication salavation an issue,weight gain,able to hold down full tome employment.have been advised slight heart issue may no be caused by cloz?would try everything else before comencing cloz