Colchicine

Comment from: dcmcl33, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: April 17

I have been an athlete for 55 years and I experience gout as a running back in college. While I did not know what I was experiencing, I suffered through many games where I thought my pain was an injury. Through the years I have discovered that intense physical activity agravates the gout (at least I experience many attacks after long and/or hard workouts). The pain has been in my feet (instep, arch, toes), hand (fingers, knuckles), wrist (feels like a sprain) and elbow. None of these are at the same time, but the pain can shift from one area to the next. Others do not understand the degree of the pain but they can certainly observe that I am in a great deal of pain because of my inability to move during a flare-up. I have used indocin for years during "attacks" but I get headaches with that drug. I experience five or six strong flare-up each year. The doctor started me on colchicine and the pain decreased immediately. I have had no side effects. I have read many reviews on this site and it seems as though the frequency of use has been a factor in many of the excerpts. I take only two a day, one early and one mid-day. I have experienced no adverse problems. Believe me when I say that I do not take medication. I do not take any other drugs and I only use colchicine during the attacks and for few days afterwards. Again, as I read these reviews it seems as though some medical professionals are precribing large doses. Maybe, like anything else moderation is the secret. Also, after reading some of these reviews, I realize how much I appreciate my doctor.

Related Reading: gout | indocin | colchicine

Comment from: pbt140, 55-64 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 27

Doc gave me meds and said use at the start of flare-up. Worked great, most pain gone within seven hours. Loved it. Later the diarrhea set in. Next day could not get far from toilet. Worked better than anything I have tried but side effects were discouraging.

Related Reading: diarrhea

Comment from: Boomer420, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 30

My story: 54 year old active male. Was diagnosed with gout for the first time about six years ago. Like many I thought it was an injury of some sort. My gout occurs in my left big toe or the middle ball joints of my left foot and it is BAD. Colchicine is the only thing that I have tried that has had any success. Ibu, naproxen, indomethacin - none of these provided any relief whatsoever. As soon as I feel the gout coming on (you know after a couple of attacks) I take 2 tiny colchicine tablets every two hour and stop after four hours and chug a lot of water. I get some relief within a few hours and usually get back to normal in 2 or 3 days. It used to take about a painful week for it to pass on its own. For me, the pain period is reduced significantly but not without cost as the ensuing stomach distress, diahrea, and general malaise for a day is no fun but it has so far been worth it. Also of note is that I just had my first attack in 3.5 years. which is actually interfering with a holiday ski vacation. Pisses me off!! And so random!! I have been in shape, out of shape, dried out, and partied like a rock star, eat right, etc. and I don't think any of that makes a difference. I think I will start a 1 or 2 per day regimen of colchicine or allipurinol once I get past this latest attack as a prophylactic. GOUT SUCKS!!!!

Related Reading: colchicine | naproxen

Comment from: 45-54 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: November 17

I have been suffering from gout for past 10 years. One instance the pain was so bad I had to call the on call physician. I was diagnosed with gout. I was prescribed colchicine for the pain. The pain stopped and the swelling decreased. I now take the medication daily and have no problems. I have no complains since I have been on this medication. I'll deal with the side effects of the medication than the severe pain from the gout which is unbearable.

Comment from: Mark, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: March 11

I took this medication on advice from my GP for gout pain prescribed at 2 a day.I ended up in intensive care on life support at New Year 2016 with complete organ failure after taking dosage for 6 months. No leaflet on side effects was provided by pharmacy or my GP and I was also taking stations alongside it and my GP knew this. I am now in the process of taking legal action against my GP as at present am unable to feel my legs and the nerves in my hands are causing great pain.

Comment from: Elle, 65-74 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: February 19

I am 72 yrs old, with chronic gout. I have been on this medication for about two years, and without it I would be somewhere in a locked room lost without enough strength to even pull out my hair during my gout attacks. My doctor prescribed this medication to me after all other meds failed. I take one 0.6 mg tablet every morning, and when I feel soreness in my toe or ankles I take one table at night (2 tablets a day)for three days or a week, and within two or three days the soreness is gone.. I have had really bad gout attacks that have lasted up to two and a half months, and after taking other gout meds, this medication has pulled me through. I am so thankful to God healing and my doctor for prescribing this medication to me. If I'm off it for more than three weeks I find myself experiencing a gout flare ups. Don't know if I should be on this medication this long or take it everyday, but my doctor keeps check with lab work... and it works for me, no more awful debilitating gout attacks, and my uric acid level count is really down... I eat a proper diet although I do go off track on my favorite chips every so often...! I have not had a gout attack in over a year.

Comment from: colchicine, 55-64 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: April 18

This is my 3rd and worse bout with gout. My Dr. prescribed this medication and forewarned me that it MAY cause diarahea. He suggested one 0.6 mg pill every four hours instead of every one to two hours. It took just a little longer but after taking this for 18 hours the front of my foots swelling has gone down 50% and the pain has subsided by over 75%. When this attack is over , he is starting my on Allopurinol to avoid this in the future. In short, Colchicine is a god sent medication.

Related Reading: gout | allopurinol | colchicine

Comment from: donaway, 65-74 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 25

I am a male 67 years old with the customary ailments of a person of this age. I have experienced the painful condition of gout in my big toes in the past 4 years or so & did not know there was some medication that would have relieved my pain. However the last time I had an attack I was forced to seek medical treatment. My doctor precribed Colchicine & to make a long story short, I had almost 90% relief within 12 hours. No side affects whatsoever. It works.

Comment from: Jim, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: March 07

CAUTION!!! Do NOT take this drug if you are taking statins! Go to wiki and read Contraindications. Within 2 months I was wheelchair bound, could barely stand. It's been one year and I am still having major problem with my legs. THIS DRUG IS DANGEROUS WITH STATINS!!! Try Tart Cherry Juice instead.

Related Reading: statins

Published: November 11

Great Drug if you have Gout, worked for me no problems

Related Reading: gout

Comment from: taylorbh1, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 18

I started taking Colchicine about 6 weeks ago for the treatment of Gout. It has worked for me, but I almost died due to complications brought on by using this drug. I am a dialysis patient and it caused my immune system to crash by supressing my bone marrow production of both white and red blood cells and platelets. I developed high fever and headaches for lack of red blood cells carrying oxygen to the brain. I spent 6 days in the hospital until my white blood cell count came up to atleast 2.7 before they would release me. I am still waiting for results from the bone marrow biopsy and my primary care doctor called the hematologist to let him know about the Colchicine side effects and they are both confident that the drug was the cause of all symptoms. Hopefully they will be able to find some other form of treatment for the gout without the adverse effects on my immune system and kidneys. I am confident they will.

Related Reading: red blood cells | fever

Comment from: las, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: April 04

For 3 yrs. I suffered with pain in my feet, when I would get up in am I could barely walk down steps. The pain just got worse and my joints hurt and muscle pain. I work for a doctor but no insurance so I talked to her and at first we thought fibromyalgia. I just lived with the pain. Taking ibuprofen, using hot packs etc. Then in Nov. 07' my great toe on my left foot turned a little red and very painful. I thought gout so I talked to the doctor again and she looked at it and said possible gout and Rx'ed me with colchicine for 5 days. AFTER 2 DAYS I WAS PAIN FREE!! NO PAIN IN MY FEET,SHOULDERS,ELBOWS,KNEES,HANDS,MUSCLES. ANYWHERE. I COULD RUN UP AND DOUM THE STEPS. This was a miricle to me. I have been pain free up till about 2 wks. ago. I am breaking down and giong to have the uric acid blood test. If it is gout then she will Rx allipurinol(sp)? If I dont have gout then I dont know what I do have but colchicine was my miricle drug.

Related Reading: fibromyalgia | ibuprofen | colchicine

Comment from: [email protected], 75 or over Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: August 17

Ihad a attack of gout in my big toe. The medication relieved the pain in about 24 hours. The side effect was mild diarrhea. I took two o.6 mg per day for 4 days.

Related Reading: diarrhea

Comment from: tj56, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: June 07

I was a 15 year user of Colchicine from West-ward, and completely satisfied with the drug's performance. I took 0.6 mg/day, and a second pill if I felt a gout attack coming. On a few ocasions a third pill was needed, which did lead to diarrhea. All of my gout attacks were brought on by excessive strain to my feet, either athletic activity or physical labor, and Colchicine was an inexpensive, safe cure. Pain free within hours. Then the FDA got involved and approved Colcrys from URLpharma. With their FDA approval URL enjoined West-ward from making the real colchicine. Then with their government sanctioned monopoly they raised the price 2700% (from $21 to $556 for a 90 day supply). You gotta love our government's involvement in health care. Well after two months on Colcrys, I have had two of the worst gout attacks ever. Both totally out of the blue (no excessive strain). I am in day ten of my first ever gout attack in my ankle, and Colcrys has been totally ineffective. At the first sign of gout I took a second and then a third pill, with no releif. The second day four pills, and three more on the third day, still nearly dibilitating pain at the end of the day. My Dr. has been on vacation, but I will see him in a few hours. My message will be "Colcrys is crap, thank you FDA."

Related Reading: colchicine | gout | diarrhea

Comment from: KYman, 25-34 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 21

Major upset stomach for 2 days, but once past that this Rx really helped.

Comment from: Big toe Mimi, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: August 24

i have been taking generic Colchicine for atatacks the past few years but, the last 6 months with increasing attacks more often. i just filled a new one to find out the generic is no longer available at a retail price of $15.69 for 30 pills and the only available is brand name at $177.00/30 pills. The pharmaceuticals thieves in this country are at it again. We need reform NOW!!!!

Comment from: jw200sx, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: December 17

after taking the drug for over a year, perhaps 2, I was diagnosed with MDS with low white blood cell counts, low platelets, low HCT, low HGL and others. Later I came to find out that Colchicine suppresses bone marrow function. Conventional reasoning said that you would have to take a lot to have this happen. I took a daily dose of .65 mg for gout. Allopurinol is supposed to be more effective for gout, but at the time, I was taking Imuran which does not get along with Colchicine. I don't take it now and it will take 3 to 6 months to find out if it was the culprit in my miserable energyless existence.

Related Reading: allopurinol | imuran

Comment from: Angel Toe, 55-64 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 19

Before starting this medication, I suffered with painful bouts of gout. I take one tablet daily and now I have relief from gout.

Comment from: 65-74 (Patient) Published: October 19

The first time I took this drug it was very effective. This time it has not worked as well and there are side effects which I did not experience the last time.

Comment from: JoJo, 35-44 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: August 10

My husband suffers from gout and had a particularily bad case in the left ankle. Went to the ER specifically for colchicine because we heard of the pain relief that came with it. Never again. Explosive diarrhea came first, then the nausea, and currently, the projectile vomiting. I am monitoring to make sure he doesn't start bleeding in his GI tract. He is so sick, and the pain in his foot/ankle is only 50% better.

Related Reading: colchicine

Published: March 13

I have FMF and have been on Colchicine for over 4 years now and its a miracle pill. I don't know what I would do without it. It has given me NO side effects!!Very inexpensive and easy to swallow...

Comment from: Nick, 45-54 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: September 11

I was prescribed to take two 0.6MG tablets immediately at onset of flareup and one an hour later. Works very well as long as you take it right away but not very well if you wait to long. Usually relieves symptoms in 24 or less hour. Flairups greatly reduced since I stopped drinking alcohol. Colchicine doesn't help with the pain of gout. For that I used 600MG of ibuprofen (helps some).

Related Reading: ibuprofen

Comment from: gout it out , 45-54 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: July 28

Worst drug ever, I have never missed a day of work because of gout but missed a day because of the gout medicine. Was not bale to get more than a few feet from a toilet

Related Reading: gout

Comment from: vecni4, 55-64 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: May 26

I have been taking this for fifteen years. Gout runs in my family. Colchicine is a daily med for me. In order to end a attack of gout I must take this med four to five times a day for one day. Stay near a toilet.

Related Reading: gout | colchicine

Comment from: gravedigger, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years Published: April 26

I am a MD who use it on pts. I feel it works well and an looking at using it on other inflammation like arthritis.

Related Reading: arthritis