Creon

Comment from: gardengirl, 65-74 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: August 27

after 3 mos uncontrolled diarrhea was diagnosed with pancreatic insuff and started on 36000 units Creon with each meal. I now am able to live an almost normal life adhering to low fat, carb diet eating mostly natural foods with no additives,preservatives or artificial sweetners. Never had pancreatitis or other precursor diagnoses but did use alcohol at times heavily. Thank God the wake up call came before it was too late. Creon works just make sure to drink lots of water, tea etc. Thank God for my doctors; now I think I will see my grandchildren grow up.

Related Reading: diarrhea | creon | pancreatitis

Comment from: epalson, 65-74 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: May 22

I have found it is very important to take this drug EVERY time I eat even if only 1 cracker. Otherwise it doesn't work. Biggest problem I have is paying for it

Comment from: maggie m, 65-74 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: July 22

had whipple procedure 2013. Currently taking 36,000 u with meals. MD told me to take 2 with meals and 1 with snacks. I find it gives me a lot of gas and diarrhea. Sometimes abdominal pain. I cut it to 1 with meals and 24,000 u with snacks. I still have diarrhea and lots of gas. Anyone else have these symptoms?

Related Reading: abdominal pain

Comment from: jingle, 65-74 (Patient) Published: December 10

I had a Whipples Resection & am unable to digest anything without Creon. This works well but it is very hard to judge the amount needed with meals & when dosage incorrect then stools very soft & oh so smelly as is the wind. Still without it I would be in BIG trouble so yes it is a great lifeline for me.

Comment from: Connie, 65-74 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: June 12

This drug has been life saver for me. The only side effect I have is constipation. I take 24000 with each meal and snack. I have never drank alcohol or smoked and have had pancreatic pain ever since I can remember so I must have been born with this. It stopped working 4 months ago. Lost 25 lbs. in 5 weeks. Went to doctor because I had stopped eating and was getting weak. Without Creon I would have died. Thank you Creon!

Related Reading: constipation

Comment from: [email protected], 65-74 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: February 07

I take 2 every time that I eat and 1 with snacks. This medication has kept the pain away. The only problem I have is that it throws me into the donut hole every year! This medication is very expensive.

Comment from: William, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: May 28

I have suffered with acute pancreatitus on 4 occasions resulting in hospitalisation. This was initially caused by excess alcohol. I now suffer with chronic pancreatitus and have had 3 spells in hospital. Last year I had sever pain throughout my abdomin which resulted in an extended stay in hospital. For the past year I have not had any alcohol resulting in a remarkable easing in the pain side. Before my stint in hospital I was taking opiates in tablet and liquid form as well as paracetamol and in hospital changed to fentanyl patches rated at 50mcg/hr. I take Creon oral in the 10000 capsules. I have found that taking 2 with meals and 1 with snacks works well. I also take 1 with the drink supplements. I have now stopped using the fentanyl patches and seem to control the pain with just paracetamol and oramorph at night. I have also increased my weight from the 9 stone average to some 11 stone. I am suffering with joint pain which is currently being investigated. Without the creon I believe I would not be able to digest my food as prior to using this RX I had difficulty in eating and so establishing and maintaining a sensible weight.

Comment from: bbzlucille, 65-74 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: May 31

Being diagnosed with chronic pancreatitis from years of smoking I was prescribed Creon. This drugs works well . I still have days with stomach discomfort for no apparent reason as I stick faithfully to my low to no fat diet . The biggest problem is even with insurance it is so costly that I am having a hard time paying for it. There is no generic for it and even though the main ingredient is available at a heath food store the dosage needed is no less expensive.Creon is King that is for sure, it works if you can afford it !

Related Reading: smoking

Comment from: BUDDY59, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: June 26

I am currently taking 7 capsules of 6000 units before each meal and 3 capsules before each snack. I FIND THAT IT HELP'S THE PAIN AND CRAMPS IMMENSELY AND ALSO CUTS THE NUMBER OF BOWEL MOVEMENTS I HAVE IN HALF FROM 6-3 A DAY. I'M FINDING BY STINKING TO MY PROPER DIET I'VE BEEN ABLE TO MAINTAIN MY WEIGHT OF 165. IN THE BEGINNING OF HAVING THIS PROBLEM I WEIGHED 235 LBS. AND LOST 100LBS NEAR MY DEATHBED AT 138 WITH THE HELP OF THIS MEDICATION AND RETAINING THE CORRECT DIET IVE BEEN NOT ONLY BEEN ABLE TO REGAIN A HEALTHY LIFE BUT TO ALSO RETAIN IT. ALTHOUGH I STILL HAVE SOME BAD ATTACKS AM ABLE TO CONTROL THEM BY GOING NPO FOR 36-48 HOURS CONTROLLING MY PAIN WITH PAIN MEDICATIONS AND RETURNING TO MY ORIGINAL PLAN WHICH LEADS ME BACK TO BEING ABLE TO FUNCTION AND LIVE IN A NORMAL MATTER WHICH FOR ME IS A GODSEND.THIS DRUG HAS WORKED BETTER THEN I COULD HAVE EVER HOPED OR IMAGINED

Comment from: dely parrish0o3, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: December 05

it helps me tremendously in helping me to digest my food. it has worked better than the other pancrealipase medications taken previously.

Comment from: Anon73, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: October 02

Necrotizing Pancreatitis...take 24kU due to low pancreatic function. Need to take 3x w/meals, 1 w/snacks. W/O would have very greasy, frothy and frequent diarrhea. I'm able to maintain/gain weight though the weight seems to be gained in the abdominal area. VERY costly; costs my insurance ~$2,000 for 1 months supply luckily my cost is $60. Manufacturer does have discount card that'll save you $25. Can't use w/Medicare, etc. Hate always having to take with any food but allows me to live an almost normal live. Side effects: *Experienced extensive flatulence when first started taking but has subsided considerably. *Have now developed joint pain. *Have blurry vision in the morning but clears later.

Related Reading: pancreatitis | diarrhea

Comment from: honeybell, 65-74 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: October 20

Had whipple procedure June 2013. Recently I stopped taking creon because it is causing a lot of gas and loose stools, about 5times a day. I take 24000. I will see how it goes. Maybe I need to take less.

Related Reading: creon

Comment from: kris-10, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: March 29

I am taking this Creon b/c I have pancreatic insufficiency brought on by alcohol abuse. I don't seem to fit the profile as most of you, but the instructions for this RX are to take it with food (BEFORE) you eat. Often, I skip meals because I also have acid reflux and nausea and I find myself repulsed by many foods. I use nutritional shakes to keep my nutrition up, but is Creon helping me if I don't eat, or just drink a nutritional shake?

Related Reading: creon

Comment from: Scott, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: April 18

I had Necrotic Pancreatitis My pancreas exploded and began devouring my internal organs. Several procedures later I am getting better. I take 4 of the 2400 capsules with meals and 2 with snacks. It seems the larger dose has helped and kept me almost pain free in what's left of my pancreas.

Comment from: whiskers1, 55-64 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: February 13

As far as digesting foods it works fine. My problem following bipass surgery, I was found to have, hepatic biliary disease. The appropriate meds where ordered. then when speaking with the M.D., about another disorder I have which require narcotic tx. He ordered the creon. I think he misunderstood, I was not having any problems with constapation, but bouts of diarrhea. Now my stools are so soft it's difficult to defecate. I was wandering if I could add metamucil to manage this problem? I will talk to my Doctor at my next visit because, of the multiple disorders I have but feel this might be the answere I need at the correct dosage. I like to see what others think about my problem, perhaps they are having the same problem. Thank you.

Comment from: Celeste :), 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: January 01

I have a lot of food intolerances and this has helped me tremendously absorb those foods and additives which I sometimes cannot avoid! C:)

Comment from: coco29, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: July 25

I did out my pancreatic organ failure by giving my go Dr.a stool sample. She put me on this medicine and I feel it helping a little. I need to stick with the diet that comes along with it. I still have the left side pain and back pain. I will give a up soon!

Comment from: dianahag, 55-64 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: May 29

I have had IBS for many years and within the past two years have added microscopic colitis followed by having to have my gallbladder removed. My body never adjusted very well after the gallbladder was removed; always excess gas and long, long bouts (weeks) of constant diarrhea. When my gastroenterologist suggested that I tried Creon, I said, yeah, yeah. After taking it for one meal I was astonished; it cut down on my gasto distress so, so much and the diarrhea almost never occurs now. I feel that the Creon has made the most difference of anything ever prescribed for my gastro issues.

Related Reading: microscopic colitis | diarrhea | creon

Comment from: robbie59, 55-64 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 29

I have pancreatic Cancer and this medication has helped me with digestion of food, I was leery at first but seems to really help.

Related Reading: pancreatic cancer

Comment from: scarlet, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: July 26

I am wondering what to eat with this since I don't eat much after losing my colon also and now the pancreas is not functioning right. I don't drink but smoke which I am working on stopping.

Comment from: creon, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: November 13

I'm a diabetic and CREON seems to affect your glucose. This drug almost take me to a hypoglycemic shock. The gurgling it creates is horrible.

Related Reading: creon | shock

Comment from: Deanasme, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 09

I have only been on the medication for a few days, but already the differnce is remarkable. I have chronic pancreatitus and had a distal pancentectominy in May, ever since then I have not been able to eat, especially fatty foods, without severe pain. Now when I take a pill before eating I don't have any pain. I also have a ton of energy since taking the medication, that I don't remember ever having! I guess my body is finally turning food to energy like it's supposed to!

Comment from: Richoe, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: July 27

I have ben taking Creon for a couple of onths due to inability to gain weight following Whipple procedure, as well as abdominal pain. I take 24000 units with each meal. I have been having abdominal discomfort for the past two eeeks, diarrhea at times and constipation at other times. The bowel excreted has a terrible odor. I have not gained any weight. I am tempted to discontinue the creon, but will wait to see my doctor next week before doing anything.

Related Reading: abdominal pain | constipation

Comment from: 45-54 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 11

Creon has been a life saver for me. Prior to use I had severe abdominal pain. Had for several years. thought it was my stomach. After a bout of severe pancreatitis and eventually a gastric ultrasound I have inflammation. Pain is gone. CT's didn't show the inflammation.

Related Reading: pancreatitis

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: April 21

I have type 1 diabetes, celiac disease and pancreatic enzyme insufficiency. The Creon raise your blood sugar because it makes you metabolize your carbs. I am on a pump and use a continuous glucose monitor (CGM). It is a difficult balancing act but the technology I wear allows me to see my sugars 24/7 and make adjustments with the pump. The pancreatic enzyme insufficiency is much harder to deal with than either of the other two conditions, but I am fit, very healthy active 61 year old female and have had diabetes for 51 years. Other people have much harder stuff to deal with.

Related Reading: type 1 diabetes | celiac disease | diabetes