Cymbalta

Comment from: 35-44 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: November 28

I have been on Cymbalta for about 8 months now after being on 150mg of Effexor XR (450mg Effexor XR) 5 years ago but I tapered down myself. But NEVER totally get off of it if you have been at a high dosage for a year or more, I thought the world was coming to an end, crying etc. Then I took a 75mg from my Psy and in a couple hours I was ok. The Cymbalta I started 8 months ago was a 60mg pill by my family Dr. replacing the 150mg Effexor XR (Burn out or tolerance) and the change over was no problem and it did benefit I think, it's hard to tell. So...I wnet to a Psychiatrist and he doubled the Cymbalta to 120 mg. That seemed to do the trick! He mentioned the 60mg max was not helping his patients so he conferred with other Psych's and they said their patients did well with taking 2 of the 60mg Cymbalta's. In addition, I take Clonazepam 1mg after work and 2 mg at night for teeth grinding. If I son't have it at night I WON'T sleep. So be careful. It's like Xanax but last longer and the effect comes on much slower than Xanax. Good Luck with your depression. Remember, it's a brain chemical imbalance, NOT YOU! I got it from my father's side of the family. He's depressed all the time and won't take anything just like his father and his father's father committed suicide. So...it's not a weakness, it's a disease. Remember that! God Bless you all!

Related Reading: cymbalta | effexor xr | effexor

Comment from: Veronica, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: March 02

Although the cymbalta did treat my depression to the point that I could function once again, I do have a couple of major complaints. There was not nearly enough information provided to me regarding side effects. I am someone who actually reads the pamphlet that the pharmacist gives you. No where to be found are the severe impact it can have on your weight. Over time, and I have been on it approximately 18 months. Upon further investigation on my part, I have found that cymbalta actually enters your fat cells and STAYS THERE! OVER TIME the weight creeps on and on. To top that off are the severe side effects when you are trying to ween yourself off of it. For example, I have gained 15 POUNDS in the two weeks while trying to eliminate cymbalta from my life. Not to mention the other awful side effects: brain zaps, mood swings, high blood pressure, urge to urinate one second & not making it to the bathroom the next, diahrea, joint pain, brain fog, adema, slurred speech and others. Think twice before using this drug. In the 18 months that I have been taking it I have gained 34 pounds. On a 5'1" frame thats another whole person practically. I was in a size 6-8 petite, and now I am busting out size 16's. Talk about a reason to be depressed!!! It's been 17 days and the brain zaps are almost gone and I am "starting" to feel like myself again-except for the weight gain. If I was eating carbs, sweets, etc. that would be one thing. But I follow a high protein, high vegetable diet. Really consider the consequences.

Related Reading: cymbalta | depression | high blood pressure

Comment from: bert, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: August 29

I am a medical doctor who studied psychiatry and a patient who is taking Cymbalta for depression. I took the med for about 2 years with remission and, with my psychiatrist, weaned slowly from 60 mg per day to zero over about 6 weeks. For several reasons, the depression returned about 6 months later and I again responded positively to restarting Cymbalta at 30 mg. It helps me with anxiety, negative thinking and improves sleeping. I have tried other antidepressants. Each person reacts individually to the positive and negative effects of antidepressants. Statistically, they all have about the same success rate but which one(s) work for one person is individual and so are the side effects. Many postings are not sensitive to these facts. For instance, some are more stimulating and better with lethargy, some are more sedating and better with anxiety. Beware of the negative postings for any of the antidepressants which say things like: drug should be banned, had a terrible time coming off the med, etc. Also, symptoms such as sleep problems, appetite/weight issues, libido, may be due to depression and anxiety or might be side effects, it depends on the patient and is best determined by careful medical evaluation and over time. I personally tried another antidepressant recently for about 10 days and had insomnia and anxiety which both promptly improved when I stopped this med and restarted Cymbalta. This is not an endorsement but an individual anecdote which may be helpful.

Related Reading: anxiety | antidepressants | insomnia

Comment from: Colleen W., 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: February 24

I just started Cymbalta yesterday for the second time. Only reason I stopped taking it (about two years ago) was because of the cost but now it comes in generic. When I took it the first time I had a GREAT experience with it. Nothing works better for me than Cymbalta so when I heard it came out in generic form I was so happy and couldn't wait to get back on it. I have been dealing with depression/anxiety for years and I also suffer from migraines. Cymbalta helps with pain also. I cannot emphasize enough that what works for me or others, will work for you. The only way you'll know is if you try. Don't be scared by all the negativity you read by others. Also, when I was on Cymbalta the first time, I was never hungry and I LOST weight... others have said they gained weight which I thought was strange because even my doctor told me one of the side effects was decreased appetite. Whatever you decide to do, I wish you peace, luck and happiness.

Comment from: Sarah, 25-34 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: February 10

I started taking Cymbalta 30mg then to 60mg. It worked wonders for about 2 or 3 months. Since then I am living in my own HELL trying to get off of it. I recommend anyone that is thinking of trying this, PLEASE look it up online! I am not the only one going through this. The withdrawal symptoms are so severe I keep giving in and finally taking it again just to feel some relief. This time I am not going back. I want this horrible drug out of my system. When I was on it I couldn't sleep. I tried ambien and lunesta, and they didn't work. The withdawal symptoms include horrible physical pain and weakness, intense periods of depression and crying. Feeling like you are lost. If anyone has ever seen a Cymbalta commercial, thats exactly what you will feel like when you try to wean yourself off of it. I hope this can be helpful to anyone.

Related Reading: cymbalta | ambien | lunesta

Comment from: Jennifer, 25-34 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: March 24

I see so many people talking about coming off Cymbalta and the terrible side effects it has when doing so. There are so many medications that have side effects, and they differ from person to person, when coming off any medication and even just taking a medication. This best thing you can do is let your DOCTOR take you off and give them feed back as you are going through the process. I can not tell anyone to not use drugs that has been terrible for me, knowing and understanding they cause different effects in each person. Please don't scare someone from what might be exactly what could be the best option for them. Instead constructively talk about and make aware your issues and also explain the dose you are on, other medications and if you are in regular contact with the prescribing Doctor! Let's help eachother not scare or discourage.

Comment from: Ryan from Texas, 19-24 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: November 26

I've lived most of my life with a severe panic disorder. When I was first diagnosed as a child I was put on paxil and it helped but later in life was switched to Cymbalta because of sexual side effects with paxil. Cymbalta worked great for my panic attacks, it gave me energy I felt great, I didn't have the constant overwhelming anxiety over my head and it was amazing... until the effects started wearing off. After about a year it felt like the Cymbalta was sucking energy from me instead of giving it to me, I was tired physically and mentally, I started getting bran zaps, sometimes slurred speech, confusion or brain fog, and I could feel the anxiety slowly creeping back in the picture. So my doctor switched me over to Prozac however getting off of Cymbalta is no easy task! You experience horrible withdrawal symptoms such as: horrible physical pain and weakness, brain fog, uncontrollable muscle tremors, extreme nausea, feelings of being lost or out of place, intense periods of depression and crying, heart palpitations, dizziness, extreme anger, migraines, and the list goes on. To say the least, it's no cake walk and you probably will slip and take one just for a break in the withdrawal symptoms but be strong and stay at it and the symptoms will slowly subside. I finally stopped having withdrawal symptoms about 2 months after stopping Cymbalta. I implore anyone researching Cymbalta to try Prozac first; I've been on it for about a year and a half now and couldn't be happier. I hope this helps! Always remember you're not alone in this and stay positive. Never give up hope, life is beautiful behind the veil of depression and anxiety. Tomorrow the sun will rise and bring with it a new day with many new possibilities :) God bless!

Related Reading: paxil | panic attacks | anxiety

Comment from: lucky13, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: May 18

PLEASE READ THIS IF YOU'RE COMING OFF CYMBALTA! There are some real horror stories on here. I had a great Dr. managing my meds...I was very concerned about withdrawal side effects, so we took over 3 months to get me off it after I was "done" (I was on it for 1 yr after it had started working to make sure I did not relapse after coming off). Don't rush! If you rush, you get bad side effects. I started at 60mg and went down 10mg every 2 weeks. Near the end she had me open the 20mg capsule, dump about half the contents out and reclose capsule and take it. Then I took about 1/4 capsule. Then I went to 1/4 capsule every other day. I started to get bad vertigo at one point, so she had me step back to last dosage and start to decrease again once no side effects were there. She also warned me that during withdrawal you can get what appears to be depression symptoms back (e.g. moodiness, lack of patience, crying for no reason, etc). I'm glad she did - otherwise I might have thought I needed to go back on it vs. it being a temporary thing while getting off the meds. It took over 3 months, but the process was a smooth one and I feel terrific. Also - remember that people tend to read and write reviews on meds when they're experience isn't that great. Most of these reviews sound terrible - but they are not a balanced view of what the med can do for you. Most of the people with no problems won't have a reason to take the time to come on here. Be patient with it! If you have lots of withdrawal side effects, talk to your Doc and slow the process down. There's no reason you have to feel terrible through it all. Cymbalta gave me my life back. I am a better wife, mother and friend after being on it. I would do it all over again if I had to.

Related Reading: cymbalta | vertigo | depression

Comment from: Freddy, 55-64 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: April 15

I have used Cymbalta, 60mg, since mid-2006. I was forced off it in 2014 for its generic, duloxetine. I suffered greatly as a result. Duloxetine is not the same as Cymbalta. I suffered severe side-effects with duloxetine I did not have with Cymbalta: increased agitation, total sexual dysfunction, daily headaches, nightly dreams-vivid and strange, severe dry mouth. I was given an increased dosage of duloxetine, 90mg, and this did nothing to resolve negative issues. I also became homicidal. I was prepared to die in a mass attack - really! Thank God I was finally able to get my insurance company to start paying for Cymbalta again but only after writing a detailed letter outlining my experiences with Cymbalta vs duloxetine and getting my doctor to concur. I had started buying my own Cymbalta. $7 per capsule at Walmart then $83 for a 28 day supply via a four hour drive to Mexico. I was willing to buy my own in the end and if my insurance should ever quit paying I'll buy my own. The pain and suffering I got from duloxetine is not worth it. And if you're thinking, why not try other meds - I have, at least a dozen anti-depressants but Cymbalta is by far the most effective with the least side-effects.

Related Reading: cymbalta | duloxetine | dry mouth

Comment from: SimsplyRuth, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: June 07

I have had acute clinical depression from childhood and have sought a medication or combination of meds that would at least take away the urge to committ suicide for over 30 years. Nov 2007 I was prescribed cymbalta, early Dec it was increased to 60mg at night and 30mg in am. Just before Christmas I awoke one morning - and was so happy to be alive. This has occurred, but never for any length of time, on and off in my life - but into the first week of June and regardless of outside influences which have been at times traumatic - I still wake up each day happy to be alive, a mood which stays with me until the next morning. This medication in my opinion is the miracle I had been told by age 60 I would probably never see. The change in the subconscious mood from wishing to be dead into hoping to live until 100 so I can truly live life is one of the 3 most important things that is in my life- the other two being my adult children. I would love to do a commercial and public appearances to let the world know (1.) cymbalta gave me the life I never had .. and (2.) if this does not work for someone he/she should never give up the hope of finding a med that will

Related Reading: depression | suicide | cymbalta

Comment from: shark, 35-44 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: December 01

I have tried many kinds of antidepressants, which never really worked for me. Three years ago my doctor prescribed Cymbalta for me and within four weeks, I was happy, I was literally a new person and it just felt good to feel normal. I tell everyone that it is my miracle drug. It really is. I love it and I'm grateful that I can finally take somthing that works for me. Very very grateful actually!

Related Reading: antidepressants

Comment from: Arcade Mike, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 15

I have had major depression for the last 10 years. I have been on Prozac, wellbutrin, and kolonapin with limited results. Due to major back issues, leg ulcers and the fact that no one can or willing to help with the back and the doctor has no reason on why my leg wounds wont heal I was contemplating suicide. I gained a ton of weight which didn't help and that made the depression worse. I finally talked again to my doctor after I almost committed suicide. He put me on Duloxetine 30mg to start and within a week I could tell a difference. The only side effect so far is sleepiness so I take it in the late afternoon and I can finally sleep. I have been bumped up to 60mg and I feel great. I have had a bunch of people come up and comment that I seem happy and smiling. It has also helped with my back pain and I've been able to cut the amount of muscle relaxers and oxycodone in half.

Related Reading: prozac | wellbutrin | duloxetine

Comment from: GrammyPhyllis6, 65-74 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 22

I have suffered with Fibromyalgia for years. Now I can function much better 98 percent of the time.

Related Reading: fibromyalgia

Comment from: Kwhyde, 35-44 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: October 19

I have tried many meds for my depression and anxiety - probably every med on the market today, and none of them helped me like Cymbalta does. I also suffer from Fibromyalgia, and before this med I could only go from the bed to the couch each day and dreaded having to get up to do anything at all because of the pain. Now I have my LIFE back again. I feel human, and can do things I want to do without feeling pain, my depression is under control (I'm happy), and my anxiety is at a stand-still without having to take other meds that make me feel doped-up all the time. I'm aware that some of these reviews may scare you away from wanting to try Cymbalta, but I have never even heard of a "brain zap", and never experienced any of the things these people are talking about. Different meds work differently for different people, and Cymbalta just may be RIGHT for you, like it is for ME! So, don't shy away from it because of these other reviews. It truely is a wonderful, lifesaving med, and I'm so thankful for it. I'm alive again, painfree, and happy! Best of luck to you and May God Bless you like he has me.

Related Reading: anxiety

Comment from: PoisonControl, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: October 19

I had short period of time when this medication seemed to work, but then the side effects kicked in. I gained 30 lbs, couldn't sleep but was constantly fatigued to the point of disability, I had constant diarrhea, excessive sweating, and then I began falling down. My doctor said I was overdosed at 60 mg so we dropped to 40, then 30 then 20. Each drop was unbearable too. I was getting worse than I was while on it. Kind of damned if you don't and damned if you do! This "taper" was done over a 5 month period. When we hit 20 mg and I didn't get any better, I stopped completely. I have been in withdrawals for 5 months now and am truly disabled and have constant thoughts of suicide (something that wasn't an issue at all before taking this drug). There is a lawsuit against the manufacturer for this very reason. It is extremely difficult to discontinue this drug. And it does serious damage to your entire system. I would not recommend this drug to ANYONE unless I hated their guts! It's shear torture and should be banned! There are thousands of people out there who feel the same way.

Related Reading: diarrhea | excessive sweating | suicide

Comment from: Freckles1974, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: September 18

Be careful!! While this drug does an ok job it scary when you decide to get off of it. YOu body will go through a variery of withdraw symptoms EVEN if you slowly dose down. I took this due to crazy life changes. Now that I am okay I want to stop taking it but it has been an up hill battle... uncontrolable crying dizzy, nausa, brain zaps ( trust me if you stop taking it you will understand)

Comment from: TocMom, 55-64 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: July 02

I am very glad Cymbalta is available. Each person reacts differently to a medication; please understand this when talking to your medical professional. I have been on Cymbalta for a few years now. I tried other anti-depressants and this is the one that worked for me. I used to think there was "no lift in life" and everything was a huge effort - while life is not perfect, Cymbalta sure helps. I don't feel the need to switch meds or stop taking it. Please folks, respect someone else's chemical makeup and realize what works for you may or may not work for them.

Related Reading: cymbalta

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: December 31

YOU SHOULD TAPER OFF INSTEAD OF STOPPING ALL AT ONCE, IT WILL MAKE YOU FEEL TERRIBLE IF YOU STOP ALL AT ONCE

Comment from: Cathy, 45-54 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: November 10

I have suffered from depression since my car accident in 2006 it is now 2014. I had a closed head injury and several medicines to wake me up and sleep and function for years I was a guinea pig and almost gave up from the pain of it all. When my doctor prescribed cymbalta a high dose I cried and cried finally I am on 60 mg per day and I am functioning and have a boyfriend and want to enjoy the time I have with my mom who is 83 years old, I have missed out on so much family time because of depression and trying to climb out of a black hole is hard, because I was alone and had no barometer to tell me if crying 24 hours a day or the opposite of pure rage was healthy or not, I couldn't figure it out myself until I went back to doctor and he would tell me this is not healthy so lets try something else. I have been on 60 mg for over 3 years now and I think more positive and hope anyone who is in a state of depression to keep trying to find the right combination to help you get out of the black hole. The sun is beautiful and I can finally see it, I now have no curtains on my windows and love it.

Related Reading: depression | head injury | cymbalta

Comment from: koiponder, 55-64 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: March 28

Very effective in relieving depression. However, the withdrawal side effects are horrendous! Patient should be warned in advance of beginning treatment and allowed to weigh their options. I weaned off over the period of one year. After one week off the medication, I am still very sick physically. Headache, nausea, dizziness and confusion. I would not recommend starting this drug unless you have no other options.

Related Reading: headache | dizziness

Comment from: Myka34, 25-34 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: May 26

Don't know why this drug didn't work for me but (I've been on Paxil, lexapro, Zoloft, and Prozac) I had THE WORST orthostatic hypotension. It got so bad I had to go to emergency room because I was "greying out" every time I got up. Had horrible withdrawals as well when stopping this drug. It may work for YOU but BE CAREFUL PLEASE!

Related Reading: paxil | lexapro | zoloft

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: June 29

I've been on several different anti-depressants for about twelve years and on Cymbalta (90 mg./day) for about the last two of those. I have now been on the generic version, "Duloxetine," for four months. I have always experienced weight gain and extreme tiredness and loss of motivation while on Cymbalta, and Duloxetine is no different, maybe even worse. I, too, experience the profuse sweating as others, particularly of my head. Whereas Cymbalta initially helped my depression, it appears to be slowly lessening in effectiveness. I know better than to quit cold turkey, so I cut back to 60 mg. a week ago; I cannot tell any difference. I'll keep it up for a couple of weeks and then cut to 30 mg. to see what happens. It's the steady weight gain, constant exhaustion, and lack of emotional highs and lows that are doing me in -- not ever joyful and not ever deeply moved, which is all part of the human condition. I miss "feeling." When one gets "used to" sadness, it's time to find another medication.

Related Reading: cymbalta | duloxetine | depression

Comment from: jewel, 35-44 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: September 22

This drug works very good for me, however, if I miss just one dose, I can feel the loss of effects. I recommend Cymbalta but it is best to take it daily without missing even a day. Try to take it at the same time everyday.

Comment from: Krista, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: August 02

For all of you reading all of the negative reviews. This medication worked for me. I am BiPolar and have had several back surgeries. I had a mental break an was hospitalized several months ago. Nothing was working, and believe me, the doctor's have tried everything! I am on 60mg now but the doc is about to raise it he said. Like some of the others said, the brand name worked better, generic seems a little weaker, but after about 3 weeks on this I began feeling motivated again. Something I had not felt in years. There is hope out there! Don't give up! True it may not be this medicine, but keep trying!!!

Comment from: SC in OH, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: June 16

I've been dealing with Depression for about 30 years and during my worst I was on Zoloft which worked well for about 5 years then I stopped taking it and felt ok. About 5 years ago I started getting increased Depressive episodes which I discussed with my doctor and went back to Zoloft, which did not work as well as it had in the past. My doctor then switched me to Cymbalta with the dose going to my present 60 mg/day. I'm better able to focus and am holding down a job again (the depression took away my ability to focus and I lost my job as a result), but I'm still not quite where I know that I can be. I'm not suicidal, but still on edge a lot, so I will be looking to add something. No side effects that I've noticed and Cymbalta keeps the worst of the depression under control.

Related Reading: depression | zoloft