Cytomel

Comment from: jkat, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: April 28

I began taking Synthroid for my hypothyroidism. My TSH came down, but my free t3 levels remained low and I was still having many many symtpoms - hair loss, extreme fatigue, swollen eyes and feet, muscle aches, depression....on and on. My endocrinologist added Cytomel to my treatment & it has been wonderful!! I am not completely symptom free and I know I need a slight increase in meds, but the changes are amazing. I haven't had a single migraine headache, my balance has improved, hair loss slowed down, improved energy levels (although still not optimal), and my mood has greatly improved. I can't imagine ever going without this medication.

Related Reading: synthroid | hypothyroidism | hair loss

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 11

At the beginning of treatment my heart rate sped up and I had mild insomnia. However, after about 2 weeks my body adjusted and I had no additional side effects. It has worked wonderfully in treating my underactive thyroid, providing me with renewed energy levels, reduced fatigue, and aided in my ability to focus throughout the day.

Related Reading: insomnia | fatigue

Comment from: BonBon, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: March 15

Love this med. I have had hypothyroidism for many years. But I never felt myself. I am in my 50's now and told the doctor I was tired of being tired. My brain fog was getting worse. I ached all the time. I just felt that my chemistry was not right. He put me on Cytomel and I got immediate results. My aches and pain are gone. I feel more alert. Love it. I also take Levoxyl for the thyroid. The combination of the two has given me my life back.

Related Reading: cytomel | levoxyl

Comment from: Kickboxer, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 25

A high heart beat, insomnia, and sometimes a tight chest. I exercise hard and often which has been affected by the shaky legs and racing heart. I think I need to back off the dose from 50mcg's to maybe 25mcg's.

Comment from: Tikij2u, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: August 13

USERS BEWARE!! Please check with your doctors - Yes, you will lose weight but, there will be a high price to pay. I felt great at first. Then when my family doc checked my thyroid it did not even register on my lab tests - it was fried! When I got a 2nd Endocronologist opionion about the dosage I was on she asked me if I was told about the side effects and of course I said NO. I "trusted" the doctor that gave me the medication. I was given a bone density test and in comparison to the test I had one year prior I suffered significant bone lose as a result of using the cytomel. I have since had to have major back surgery due to degenerative disc disease. It took a full year for my thyroid to function normal again and all of the weight I had lost came back. So the moral of the story is: it's a feel good drug that has it's price to pay and IT'S NOT WORTH IT IN THE END!

Related Reading: cytomel

Comment from: mamaof2, 25-34 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: September 21

I have had hypothyroidism for about 13 years. For many years I was just taking synthroid, but then even when my levels were in range, I still had hypo symptoms, so I was referred to an endocrinologist. She said I was on too much synthroid and my t3 was receiving nothing, so my synthroid dose was reduced and cytomel was added. After about 2 weeks I started feeling normal again. I take both of them together first thing in the morning and then wait 1 hour to eat or drink.

Related Reading: synthroid

Comment from: hypob, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: May 16

I began taking synthroid in Sept. for hypothroidism (per blood test). It was great...at first. The fatigue, sore muscles, etc set back in. I went back to the dr. only to fin a groiter & be diagnosed w/ hashimotos. Cytomel has been added to the synthroid. For the first 3 weeks I was a new person however I think I've returned the the tired person I was. Do you plateau?? I've noticed I get hot, rather than cold. I sometimes feel like My left arm tingles (numbing sensation) however I find myself in a better mood as I'm not falling asleep at my desk at 9:30 a.m. after 8 hours a sleep. It's an improvement so I don't want to complain...

Comment from: DebbyNY, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: April 14

I have been taking Synthroid for years and the last few years I am exhausted. THe doctor put me on Cytomel along with the Synthroid. I have more energy and have lost the 20 pounds I gained last year. But I have migraines and they seem to be getting worse and I am wondering if the Cytomel could be the cause. I have also sufferd from insomnia and itchy skin. I didn't assoiciate those with the drug until now. I am also concerned about one of the posts stating that it increases bone loss. I have osteopenia and have had back surgery. I don't want to reach osteoporous and am wondering if I should bring this up with my doctor.

Related Reading: synthroid | cytomel | insomnia

Comment from: kmart, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 13

I've been on Synthroid only for 5 years, but as some other review's noted, never felt like myself. I had no "umph" for life. After the first day of taking Cytomel, I could tell a difference. I feel like my old self is back, and believe me, that makes me happy & my husband!

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: October 30

I took Synthroid alone for ~4 years, but feel much better on a combination of 50 mcg Synthroid plus 25 mcg Cytomel - this combination has brought me down from 125 mcg of Synthroid as a sole treatment for hypothyroidism.

Related Reading: hypothyroidism

Comment from: LINDA, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 16

I have had an underactive thyroid for quite a while and even though I was taking leventhoid, my legs and ankles would swell by the end of the day. Taking Sytomel in conjunction with the leventhoid has cured it all. I feel better than I have in years. It really works for me.

Comment from: Nomad2, 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: March 07

Initially I was very happy with this medication. However, I am in my early 50's and have just cracked two vertebrae and it is very painful. I also have three cracked teeth out of no where. This medication is the suspected problem and osteoporosis is listed as a possible side effect. I'm on 20mcg. If I personally had to do it again, I would take no more than 5 mcg. I think it is a helpful medication, but controversial and may indeed have harmed me in the end.

Related Reading: osteoporosis

Comment from: Matt, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 14

I am impatient enough that I did not like the wait between taking the medication and eating breakfast, but the medication, given time, worked wonders at restoring my energy and reducing many of my related symptoms--however, the medication caused a persistent, intense headache which only stopped when the medication was stopped.

Related Reading: headache

Comment from: [email protected], 45-54 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: August 27

I have had thyroid disease for 22 years - Hashimoto's - and I couldn't get my synthroid dose correct- felt awful - until 5 years ago I started on cytomel with levothyroxine. I feel like a new person!!

Related Reading: synthroid | cytomel | levothyroxine

Comment from: Coozie, 65-74 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 29

I took 5 pills of 5mcg Liothyronine and experienced bad breathing problems, especially walking and talking at the same time when on a incline or steps. Has anyone reading this had trouble with breathing problems taking this Rx. I was on Armour Thyroid 15 mcg. for years w/o any problems but that is no longer available. I cannot take Synthroid or the generic of it so I at a loss as to what to take.

Related Reading: armour thyroid

Comment from: renie, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: June 18

Before/after my Oct. 2007 Total Thyroidectomy, I tried various dosages of Armour (16 mos. overall)and it was worthless especially after surgery. An Armour pill is a combination of T4 and T3. On 2/10/08, I started 50mcg of Levothyroxin (T4) and 10mcg of Cytomel (T3) one hour before breakfast - FINALLY relief of hypothyroidism symptoms. However, toward the end of the day Cytomel lacks sustainability. On 06/07/08 I started 50 mcg Levothyroxin (T4) and 5 mcg Cytomel (T3) one hour before breakfast then half way through my day (2:30 p.m.) I take the remaining 5 mcg Cytomel(T3). This dosage procedure has been the best by far although it is a nuisance because you cannot eat for two hours before and one hour after. I have become a clock watcher! All along my body's problem was the conversion of T4 to T3! Currently, I am awaiting an answer from my primary regarding my request to increase Cytomel because I know I could feel even better.

Related Reading: cytomel | hypothyroidism

Comment from: MARINA, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: February 06

I HAD MY THYROID REMOVED 2 YEARS AGO, WAS ON A SYNTHROID, DIDN'T WORK HAVE BEEN ON CYTOMEL 1 YEAR, CAN'T SEEM TO GET THE DOSE RIGHT. HAVE GONE FROM 75mcg TO 25 mcg TO 50 MCG. WORKS FOR A WHILE THEN FELT AWFUL, BLOOD TEST REVEALED WAY OVER MEDICATED AFTER BEING ON 50mcg FOR 6 MONTHS. I'M SO TIRED OF FIGHTING THIS. I HAVEN'T FELT GOOD FOR 2 YEARS. I'M EXTREMELY TIRED WHETHER I'M HIGH OR LOW. NO ENERGY AT ALL. I HATE THE WAY I FEEL AND CAN'T BELEIVE THERE ISN'T SOME WAY TO REMEDY THIS.

Related Reading: synthroid | cytomel

Comment from: office manager, 75 or over on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: December 16

I was diagnosed low thyroid because I suggested to my doc that I had had good results from taking a vitamin combo that was recommended for metabolism and underactive thyroid. He tested and started me on levoxyl, later added cytomel. since then, I have put on weight, have skin itching from time to time, and major hair loss. I intend to get off this stuff ASAP.

Related Reading: levoxyl | cytomel | hair loss

Comment from: Skin Issues, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 12

My doc has been readjusting my levo rx for some time and recently added cytomel for some T3 issue. It's all a guessing game but my main problem is a crazy itchy rash and hives I have been getting. Not sure if it's the new meds but will have to wait and see with another round of lab tests. Anyone else get skin reactions on cytomel?

Related Reading: rash | hives

Comment from: RRR, 45-54 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: August 02

I take 2 5mcg/day. I have trouble sleeping at night if I do not take Cytomel during the day. Cytomel improves my thinking processes. I have put on needed weight. (Most people probably loose weight.) I would like to try a higher dosage.

Comment from: hypohypo, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 11

I am hypo with a multinodular goiter. I am allergic to both name brand and generic Synthroid. It causes my hands to swell and hurt all the time. I've been taking Tyrosint for the last 9 months with better but not optimal results. My Endo added 5 Mcg Cytomel to help with my energy levels and misc other symptoms. It has helped in regards to my energy level and brain fog, but now after taking it for just 5 weeks my hands are swelled and painful all the time again. I believe I'm having the same allergic reaction I had to the Synthroid tablets. There's something in the fillers that my body doesn't like. For everyone I've seen post that you're not sure whether to tell your doctor about your symptoms...always tell them! Don't hesitate to discuss how you feel. It's important for your well being and research of drugs and patient reactions.

Related Reading: synthroid

Comment from: millernpt, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: February 08

I had been taking Synthroid and felt pretty good. My endocrinologist suggested a decrease the synthroid and add in Cytomel to get little more energy and better moods. I have been on it for 2 weeks and I have stomach cramps, nausea, and diarrhea. I plan to stop taking it ASAP.

Related Reading: diarrhea

Comment from: savannah_smiles25, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: June 17

After years of feeling slugish and over all like crap the doctors thought that maybe my thyroid was to blame. Mind you this was all after a full hysterectomy. The doctor stated me on synthroid, I was so tired I was falling alseep all the time even while driving. the Docters kept upping my dose with no real luck. Then I saw an endocrinologist who felt there was mor eto this then what meets the eye. He put me on cytomel 5mcg 2 times a day in combonation with my synthroid. I do not feel like I did before all of this but I sure feel 110% better that I have in a long time.

Related Reading: synthroid | cytomel

Comment from: builder, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: March 14

After years of taking Synthroid and not feeling any better, I trid Amour. It worked ok, but it put me in an aggitated state. So I have been on 20mcg of Cytomel. My TSH numbers were still loe so I gradually went up to 40mcg. What I am wondering is why so many doctors refuse to give you Cytomel alone. It has worked fine for me.

Related Reading: synthroid | cytomel

Comment from: JenJen, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: December 15

I've been taking it for 4 weeks. I am experiencing very bad rapid heart rate, and a rash on my arm. Even after not taking it for 3 days, i am still feeling the heart symptoms and itchiness. Now, additionally, brief bursts of dizziness. I am seeing my doctor this afternoon.

Related Reading: rash | dizziness