Cytotec

Comment from: willow, 19-24 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 20

i experienced alot of pain by using this pill and i was pregnant at the time. i was already 2months. and i aborted my own child. it was painfull and i don't even know if i can have children in the nearer future anymore. please help

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 20

I'm 29 y.o. and took Cytotec to soften my cervix prior to IUD insertion. I took it the night before my procedure and had some very mild cramping through the night. It helped make the insertion painless! I'm so glad my NP prescribed this medication.

Related Reading: cytotec

Comment from: Diana, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: May 02

Was told by gyn to take two Cytotec pills before bed night before I was to have uterine biopsy next morning to make cervix softer/easier to get biopsy since I was 55 and hadn't had a child for 23 years. I had been bleeding heavily with clots for over a month. About 30 min. after taking the Cytotec I experienced heavier cramping, bleeding, felt weak and nauseous. I was unable to sleep at all that night for the pain and having to get up and change pads. Was barely able to walk in dtr. office next morning for biopsy. Told them I would never take it again. Had another uterine biopsy recently and did not take it. It was no problem doing the biopsy so apparently didn't need the Cytotec the first biopsy. Please think twice before using this, especially for a biopsy procedure. It was unnecessary for me and I wouldn't want anyone else to experience what I did. It was really very scary as I was alone and so weak I could barely get out of bed to change pads but had to. I had to call my husband, an RN, at work who works nights to come home and really thought I would need to call 911 or go to emergency room. Hope this doesn't happen to anyone else!!!

Comment from: Worked Well, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 24

I took this drug as prescribed by my OB/GYN after confirmation of my miscarriage. I read some of the other reviews and was a bit concerned; however, my experience was suprisingly good. Prior to taking the pill, my OB/GYN advised me to take 800mg of Ibuprofen and also gave me Lortab for pain (as needed). I took the Cytotec at 5PM (vaginally as instructed... not orally) and the bleeding started by 9:30PM. The heaviest (large clumps) was between 12:45AM-3:00AM. I had absolutely NO PAIN and NO CRAMPING. In between changing out pads and letting the large clumps fall in the toilet, I slept. It truly wasn't nearly as unpleasant of an experience as I had anticipated. I had a D&C my LAST miscarriage and this was probably a less invasive process. Gross... but any miscarriage is.

Related Reading: miscarriage | ibuprofen

Comment from: sizzle8807, 19-24 (Patient) Published: March 08

The medication worked, was easy to use, but i was not satisfied with the results. I used this medication vaginally because i had a miscarriage and my body was not able to deliver the baby. My doctor sent me home to use it and i did everything just as she said. She said all that would happen is the baby will dissolve and pass just like a period. SHE WAS WRONG! I had pain so bad i was screaming for help, thats because i was in labor! The baby wasz coming out not dissolved it was a baby with a sac around it! This was a very bad expierence for me and i cant believe she sent me home with this treatment to deliver a baby myself! i was rushed to the ER where i was told that this medicine was not approved for this use!

Comment from: huh?, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: April 28

I had a miscarriage at 12 weeks. Ultrasound showed all tissue passed but my uterine lining is thicker than it should be. Instead of d and c, dr. prescribed this med. I have been taking it for 3 days now and wondering what's supposed to happen. No cramping, and no bleeding so far. I was told the results would be irritability and a heavy period. Nothing yet. How long does it take to start working?

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 25

I was prescribed Cyctotec as an aid in the process of inserting an IUD (Intrauterine Device). Because I have never given birth, my doctor utilized this method as a way to dilate my cervix for insertion. This medication was not taken orally but rather inserted directly into the vagina. In terms of my satisfaction rating being 3/5, I attribute that to the less-than-pleasant feelings that were associated with the whole ordeal According to my GYN, the medication worked extremely well...although I beg to differ.

Comment from: UtopianDream, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: February 12

I was prescribed this drug for a completely different reason than nearly everyone else here, so I thought I would post. I had part of my colon removed due to obstructive kinks that caused tissue to die, which caused daily pain and abnormal stool (mucus or hard-to-pass mush). As a result of that surgery, my intestines have slowed down considerably. I go a week sometimes with no bowel movement. Doctor thought I may have to get 2nd operation to remove more bowel, but wanted to try this drug (Cytotec) as a last resort. I am 2 weeks in (taking it 4 times daily) and it seems to be working fairly well. Stomach pains that I used to have daily are fewer and far between, and bowel movements are almost at a normal frequency, consistency, and amount - it has been years since that has been the norm for me. Nausea wakes me at night sometimes, though I am unsure if it the Cytotec causing this or the fact that my gallbladder is bad (it will be removed next month, so I will find out). To sum up, Cytotec is helping regulate my digestive system. So far, so good.

Comment from: gda, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 20

I was given the option of using this medication when I miscarried (after 6 wks) as an alternative to waiting for my body to expel on its own or having a D&C. I inserted the pills vaginally and started bleeding and clotting 6 hours later. I had painful cramps but was given pain medication and ibuprofen by my doctor, and both helped a whole lot. However, a month later, I'm still bleeding off and on, my pregnancy hormone is still elevated, and my uterus lining is still thicker than it should be. So I took another round of Cytotec after talking to my doctor. So far I've only experienced cramping. Hopefully I don't have to do the D&C after all.

Related Reading: ibuprofen | pregnancy | cytotec

Comment from: YNTC, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: May 04

Got pregnant and was prescribed Cytotec to avoid surgical intervention. Bought it over the counter in a country where abortion is illegal. Started taking 2 pills x 200mg vaginally every 4 to 6 hours. Nothing happened for as much as 36 hours and after about 16 pills. Except for acute cramping, diarrhoea, the egg was still intact in my uterus as shown in the echography. I stopped taking the pill on Thursday at noon, depressed and worried that I would have to go through the surgery anyway. But at night around midnight, I started bleeding and it lasted for few days, just like heavier than normal period. It was longer than we thought but ended up working ok.

Comment from: saraflowers, 19-24 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 07

I was 16 weeks pregnant when I found out the baby had died at 14 weeks. The baby was too large for my body to pass the body naturally. I had to use two pills and insert them into my vagina then 2 hours before the surgery I had to insert two more. I experienced no bleeding but I had painful contractions in my back and stomach. This medication was used to soften my cervix making it safer and easier to dialate my cervix without any tears. It was sucsessful.

Comment from: FDA bound, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 17

I was told by my gyne to use this medication before a biopsy to assist in opening the cervix. I took the first pills 2 days prior with food--had some cramping. As I have Crohns disease I can take no NSAIDS so I was on my own. As I was nauseous I inserted the second pill the night before as my Dr had suggested with this side effect. I was miserable by the time of the biopsy--pain was exacerbated and I was next to tears--the medication did not work as I was told it should--I was told I would need the end of the cervix cut off --I opted to wait for the next pap - which is what I wanted to do before taking the cytotec but the nurse had convinced me this was a better option. I had read all the information on side effects--diarrhea--OK there--abortion--I am post menopausal--no worry there--so I thought--5 days later the pain was up to about an 8 and I was bleeding (as if I was having a period) -- called the Dr--she was sorry but she could not see me for 4 days and refused anything for the pain and suggested I call my gastro Dr. I began investigating-via the web-the medication I had been given--not only did I find these comments but research that shows this medication should not be used in post menopausal women as it is not shown to be effective at opening the cervix--at all!! Now the W/E I was stuck and extremely upset--sorry-know it was wrong but started taking 10 mg of steroids a day to continue to work (at this point I could not even stand straight) By Monday I was feeling well enough to go to the Dr and explain she is dealing with a human and--due to my other illnesses should have given the respect of quality vs quantity I had asked for in the first place. I

Related Reading: nsaids | cytotec | diarrhea

Comment from: S ettabachi, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: August 13

Yes i have all experiment with the medicijn

Comment from: LVB, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 19

I was 8.5 weeks pregnant when a sonogram revealed my baby died, had no heartbeat and quit growing at 6.5 weeks. I had a missed miscarriage. This was prescribed to me, and I read all the reviews on here before using it because I was terrified I would have a lot of pain. I CAN tell you - I had NO PAIN using this drug. I was prescribed hydrocodone which I took 45 min prior to taking this drug orally; then another dose of Cytotec (miso...) two hours later. I am now not even on pain meds and I feel fine, am in day two of using this. If I ever have to go through a miscarriage again I will definitely go this route, not a D & C, to save $$$. Painless, and useful. Good luck and hope this review helps.

Related Reading: miscarriage | hydrocodone

Comment from: PCOSpatient, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 17

Had a pregnancy, no heartbeat and no natural miscarriage. I chose to terminate versus wait and see as I have PCOS and prior complications from premature labor. Took Mifeprex 200mg orally. Then 24hrs later I took 800mg of IBU 20 minutes before taking the 800mg of Cytotec (dissolving in my mouth and then swallowing) (Doctor instructed me to use a lifesaver to aid in saliva production and mask the taste which worked very well). within 20 minutes my throat, stomach and uterus were spasming. 2hrs later the uterine cramps were regular and could feel the first gush of fluid. Cramps were uncomfortable only slightly worst then a normal period. Not taking any pain meds almost 24hrs later and feeling fine, aside from the natural awkwardness of a heavy period where you fear your pad leaking. Given my circumstance I would recommend this method rather than a D&C which seems more traumatic to me. I am at home and it is private. My doctor is a phone call or an email away.Did not experience insomnia or diarrhea so far so that is also good.

Related Reading: pregnancy | miscarriage | cytotec

Comment from: Nursemeg87, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 13

I took this vaginally 800mcg after miscarriage. It was affective but the worst pain I have ever felt in my life. It was so bad my OB admitted me to L&Dfor pain control until it was over. From start to passing of fetal tissue was about 5-6 hours . For anyone taking this take your pain meds try and stay ahead of the pain cause it hits like a brick wall!!

Comment from: :(1STBABY, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: December 03

I was given this medication after I found out I had miscarried. I was never supposed to have children and have Ovarian Cancer needless to say I was suprized then heartbroken. My experience with this Medication was that it worked within two hours But was EXTREMLY PAINFUL. I could not take any pain medication or nausea pills due to my prior illness and allergys. I was extremly sick and it hurt worse than any of my prior surgury. On the postive SIDE it was private and done at home with my husband there to help me through so we could deal with the loss on our own. I would recomend it to other women, but know there is a good chance it will hurt like heck, be sure you can take pain medication before you take this pill.

Related Reading: ovarian cancer

Comment from: me, 25-34 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: January 01

I ended the pregnancy while living overseas. It was the best

Comment from: jklkjii, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: August 29

I had a miscarriage, but my levels were so high my body wasn't taking care of it on it's own so I tried the cytotec. I did two tabs vaginally and had cramping, so at 5 hours I took the second dose, I started bleeding and this causes the second dose to not absorb. The next day they had me do a third dose with the same outcome (pills didn't absorb). So they had me do a fourth dose of 4 pills. I'm dizzy, nauseated, sharp pains in my stomach, and it still didn't work. The pills don't dissolve easily for vaginal use, and after 10 pills in 3 days- it's still not working for me. I do believe it works for most people though. The side effects of so many pills isn't worth it to me.

Related Reading: cytotec

Comment from: verna, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: May 27

I took this med before a uterin biopsy. It gave me terrible heartburn! I take meds for my stomach anyway. They don't always work real well. Thank God I only had to take 2 pills. I don't t see how they can be prescribed for ulcers and other stomach troubles. Hope I never have to take them again. I did take them with food .

Related Reading: heartburn

Comment from: 19-24 Published: March 27

took 2 orally and 1 vaginally.I placed the 2 i took orally between my gums and cheeks(1 each side) for 30 minutes then drank water to swallow them.After 2/3 hours i started bleeding and the same night the abortion was a traumatising success.It induces periods and the pains are excruciating.Its two weeks now and i'm still bleeding...I am freaked out that i have breast milk coming out from me and my breast are huge.how do i deal with this because i'm no longer pregnant?help a sister out please.

Comment from: Junior Mints, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: February 25

I was given this to dilate my cervix for a biopsy of my uterus, which I didn't end up needing. My symptoms were misconstrued and my dr. ordered an ultrasound and the biopsy to make sure everything was o.k. The ultrasound came out fine but they still ordered the biopsy. The day of the procedure the dr. again asked what my symptons were. To my horror - after taking this drug we concluded I in fact did not require this biopsy. I was mortified. The drug induced what I call labor and it lasted for about 10 hours and brought on bleeding. This was a horrible experience. Anyone know a good ob/gyn in Milford, CT?

Comment from: mssimpson, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: July 31

I was given Cytotec vaginally to induce labor at 40 weeks. It worked just as it was supposed to by softening and dilating my cervix. This was my first baby and from insertion to birth was only 12 hours. She is now 2.5 weeks old and we're both doing very well.

Related Reading: cytotec

Comment from: NotWonderWoman, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: July 02

Given to me to insert vaginally to dilate the cervix. Took it just one hour ago and am noticing cramps and a rise in body temperature.

Comment from: jersey, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 20

I took this rx as a one-time dose to soften my cervix prior to a uterine saline-sonogram. Within 20 minutes of taking this orally the nite before, I experienced mild cramping that was relieved with a dose of 800mg of IB. This rx made my sonogram much more tolerable than my previous uterine biopsy without it! I highly recommend it if you've had previous difficulty with instrument insertion past the cervix.