Cytoxan

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: February 24

The horrible side effects from this medication were not fully described to me by the prescribing physician. I was made sterile by this drug and put into early menopause. It DID NOT have any effect on my pulmonary fibrosis. It was prescribed so that it would slow the progression and it didn't work. It made me tired. I lost my hair. And I caught every germ that came along even using precautions. I hated this drug!

Related Reading: menopause | pulmonary fibrosis

Comment from: Masee, 55-64 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: May 02

I have used Cytoxan for many years with great results. I take a maintence dose of 50mg once a week. Liveable side effects but the more you take the worse the side effects like hair loss, nausea, and just feeling bad and tired. But it has been a wonder drug for me.

Related Reading: cytoxan | hair loss

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: December 28

Side effects that I found difficult: the texture of my hair changed and has not changed back. It is straw-like or similar to cotton candy now. I lost quite a bit of hair and my hair is much thinner now, even after being off the drug for 6 months. Also, I developed an infection on my ankle that would not heal for 7 months; it was painful, uncomfortable and very costly to me. I had to go for daily infusions of antibiotics and had to see the doctor up to 3 times a week for treatment. I also had to wear a "boot" on my leg and foot, for healing purposes. I attribute this problem to the drug Cytoxan. Also, I developed 2 infections in my mouth which ended up in a root canal and the loss of one of my big molars--more cost to me. I go to the dentist regularly twice a year and have never had these problems, so I know the drug played a part in this also. My numbers on the PFT did not improve and even went down a little. All in all, if I had to do it over again, I would not take this drug.

Comment from: Gail, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: March 10

I have Pulmonary Fibrosis and take 50mg of cytoxan. This drug has allowed me to reduce the prednisone dose to 10mg. I have used imuran and cellcept, but not as effective as cytoxan. My lung function has been stable for 10 years. (only 30% lung capcaticy)

Related Reading: pulmonary fibrosis | cytoxan | prednisone

Comment from: LionCub, 45-54 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: February 12

I took this drug for many years without a problem.When i started taking 1000mg for the past 3 months,i lost my hair and my eyebrows/lashes began to thin.No side-effects when i took a lower dose.My health has been stable since i first diagnosed 9years ago.

Comment from: glam, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: September 14

My father had Kidney disease ( his immune system was attacking his kidneys). It did wonders for this condition but it destroyed his lungs. They do not tell you that it can cause holes in your lungs, blood clots in the lungs but it can and does!!! My father passed away Sept 2 2010 and I blame this drug!! Even the Doctor (not prescribing doctor) said that it did a number on my daddy!!

Related Reading: blood clots

Comment from: John, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: October 26

After four weeks in the hospital, I was prescribed Cytoxan for treatment of Cryptogenic Organizing Pneumonia. The usual treatment, Prednisone, did not work for me. I don't like the potential side-effects, but in my case it was literally a matter of life or death. The Cytoxan worked.

Related Reading: pneumonia | prednisone

Comment from: livingproof, 25-34 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: July 30

I have read all the reviews on this drug and I will tell you that I have been sick with Scleroderma for over 10 years. When I was first put on this medication I was only given up to 3 years to live. Well I was with this drug able to stablize my lung progression and get off of the medication. I am now however back on at a lower dose. I didnt care that I became sterile, changed by hair etc.. all I cared about was living for my son. Well I am proof that this drug does work. All of you that complained about the side effects well what would you rather have being alive or loosing your hair. I choose life.

Related Reading: scleroderma

Comment from: nancymc0529, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: April 06

I was diagnosed with Vasculitis PAN Nodosa in Oct. 2009 & have been taking Cytoxan since. Dose was just increased to 100 mg. & eventually will be increased to 150 mg. I'm just starting to lose my hair. Am concerned about side effects. Was told I could eventually try Imuran but it's side effects are no better. Since my condition is rare, it's trial & error on treatment & medications.

Related Reading: vasculitis | cytoxan | imuran

Comment from: dragon-wing, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: March 30

I was diagnosed with Triple Negative Breast Cancer October 2008. I had six chemo treatments -- Cytoxin and Taxotere. It seems to have worked. At this point I am cancer free. I did lose my hair, but it has grown back in just as full, and I have curls now, too, which I didn't have before. My nails aren't as strong as they used to be. They seem to peel easily now, but I'm alive so I'm counting my blessings!

Related Reading: breast cancer | taxotere | cancer

Comment from: Just Me, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: July 22

Using cytoxan to treat spine cancer, after a month tumor is showing progress of shrinkage but now dosage in being increased to 1500mg, looking to become sick for about 2wk

Related Reading: cytoxan | tumor

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 26

I was diagnosed with Goodpasture's Syndrome in 2011 and took this drug for 4-5 months orally every day. It made me violently ill and I lost my hair, but it killed the antibodies attacking my kidneys and lungs. My hair came back almost the same. I took 5x 25mg tablets every morning, but because it made me so sick, there were some mornings that I ended up throwing it up, so I'm sure I technically missed some doses. Regardless, this drug did its job.

Comment from: Spark, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 11

I never got sick while using this drug, although I expected to. It was easy!

Comment from: Blessed to be alive, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 02

I was diagnosed with Inflammatory Breast Cancer in May, 2010. Had 4 chemo treatments in 8 weeks of Adriamyacin/Cytoxin. Then bilateral mastectomy. Now on Taxol/Herceptin. The first chemo drugs were very hard to handle but they were effective in shrinking my tumors. I had severe nausea, fatigue, memory loss, chemo brain and I am sure more side effects but can't remember. It was the hardest thig I've gone through but knowing I get a new lease on life makes it worth it. Remember, not everyone reacts the same way to these toxins that are put into our bodies. You have to choose if it is worth it to you. May God bless and keep you.

Comment from: nana752003, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: August 08

I have been using this for a year now, sense aug. 2009 and have had great results. Lymphnodes are normal size and no side effects other than minor hair loss.

Related Reading: hair loss

Comment from: survivor86, 19-24 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: May 07

I have been on Cytoxan for about 3 months now, and it was successful in shrinking my tumor in order to remove it and start radiation. The nausea and tiredness has been pretty bad but its a small price to pay for the wonders this drug has done for me.

Comment from: mp52orter, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: April 01

I hated the experience.

Comment from: 75 or over on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: March 26

No problems. Have used approximately one year and believe it has improved my symptoms.

Comment from: Charlie, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: January 24

I expected the side effects to be close to what my late wife had with all her chemo treatments for breast cancer. I was given an anti-nausea medication to take with Cytoxan. My expectations were definitely wrong on the drug side effects. I only had flu like symptoms the whole time I took the treatment and my nausea wasn’t very bad. I could still work but did light duty. I didn’t lose my hair, but it did get much finer. The most importantly thing is that I have no signs of cancer in me now!

Related Reading: breast cancer | cytoxan | drug side effects

Published: July 29

pain

Comment from: Red Sox fan, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 16

Have prostate CA with mets to bone. Tried cyclophosphamide when Navelbine stopped working. PSA continued to rise, Dropped it after two months.

Related Reading: cyclophosphamide | navelbine

Comment from: tireofsick, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 27

I have only been on cytoxan for 2 weeks how long does it take for you to lose your hair on this meds.i am on a 150mg a day or does the med work at all

Related Reading: cytoxan