Dalmane

Comment from: Roger Alba, 25-34 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: April 18

I suffer from idiopathic, primary insomnia. Before Dalmane, I was a wreck. I could maybe eek out 2 or 3 hours of restless sleep per night. I was disabled. My doctor had had me on everything from Klonopin to Valium, and ALL the TCA's. We even tried some older drugs like Miltown, and Seconal; nothing seemed to work! I've tried well in excess of 30 Rx sleep aids over the years. Lunesta worked quite well, but only at 12mg, four times the recommended dose! Needless to say, that would break the bank. Then we tried Dalmane. I have been taking 30mg to 60mg, an hour before bedtime for the last 5 years (combined recently) with 22.5mg of Remeron. I sleep 8-9 hours every night, without fail! Any hangover is minor and actually gives me a welcome sense of calm throughout the day. It's CHEAP, too!

Related Reading: insomnia | dalmane | klonopin

Comment from: stevecayman, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: March 15

Normally 30 mgs will work for me in combination with 5mg of Xanax. About three weeks ago I lived with my sister to aid in the care of her dying husband. What I saw and what I had to do in conjunction with his care was far and away beyond what the "normal" person might be able to handle so I then took 45mg of Dalmane and was able to sleep through the night except at the times when my assistance was needed, but then was able to return to sleep. At this writing I am going through the greeving process and told my psychiatrist what I had done and he wanted to eliminate both meds. No, I do not have an addiction problem nor am I prone to it. What I did was a temporary measure during an overly stressful time and able to return to my usual dosage. Now he wants me to add Serroquel to my drug regimen, but the negatives severely outweigh the positives for me. Under the right conditions, Dalmane is a very effective sleep aid without the harmful, ineffective benefits of other sleep aids on the market. Find yourself another psychiatrist who doesn't or won't understand caregiving and grief. Dalmane remains my best choice as I have tried all other sleep aids to date.

Related Reading: xanax | caregiving

Comment from: hawaiianmomma80, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: February 03

I take 30mg of dalmane a night. I still wake up periodically but am usually able to go right back to sleep after a couple of minutes. I find that it does cause some crazy off the wall dreams but I can't sleep without it. I used to have to have the tv on every night to fall asleep but since taking this medication it doesn't matter if the tv is on or not. Most nights I can fall asleep within 10 minutes of taking this drug.

Related Reading: dalmane

Comment from: [email protected], 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: July 10

After years of insomnia, I tried many grugs including ambien which had me sleep-cooking and driving. Dalmane works for me, no hangover but i do wake up sometimes depressed to dispair. It passes after i get up and move around. I wonder if it is the Dalmane ?

Related Reading: ambien

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 07

Works okay for me, but since I started taking it, I have noticed a "metallic" taste in my mouth... It won't go away with brushing, mouthwash, chewing gums, or breath mints... anyone else experienced this?

Comment from: Doug, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: February 02

this has worked for me, i am asleep in 30 min with no aparent side effects, i take one pill when needed about twice aweek.

Comment from: 65-74 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: September 29

Very bad rash

Related Reading: rash

Comment from: 45-54 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: February 21

I have used this drug for over 20 years and it is the only way I get regular sleep. I have not increase the dosage. If I exercise more then I need it less.

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: October 06

I have tried every sleep-aid on the market for my insomnia, and this has worked the best. Every once in a while it will not work, but without it I would probably be up 3 days at a time: with it, I have maybe 1 bad day a month.

Comment from: def717, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: July 26

I suffer from severe insomnia and NOTHING worked, except Dalmane. I only wake up maybe once a night instead of a dozen times. The only thing I don't like is I lag the next day. I even cut the capsules in half. The other thing I don't like is Mylan brand. For some reason whatever they put in their medications makes me really irritable the next day. For example, I had Mylan Xanax and I had to throw it out and get a new script for Greenstone. Does anyone out there know of a good generic besides Mylan? Thanks.

Related Reading: insomnia | dalmane | xanax

Comment from: sandyjeanhamon, 55-64 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: February 18

i have been on many different sleep medicaitions, and so far this dalmane, has been the best i one problem an that is i fill a little hung over in the am, and want to sleep more, but that has something to do with other meds that i am on

Related Reading: dalmane

Comment from: shugababy, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: April 08

I have been taking this med for a week. It is exactly what I have been looking for. I have tried Ambien, and Ambien CR. Both are too strong. I would cook, eat, and drive. I had no memory of anything until the next morning. One night I loaded my son in the car a drove off. I bumped another car at a red light near my home. I made a uturn and haven't taken that medication since. This medication is great. It softly puts me to sleep. Even when I wake up to check on my son or go to the bathroom, I go right back to sleep. This med is great. This one is a keeper.

Related Reading: ambien | ambien cr

Comment from: marla101467, 35-44 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: September 20

When this medication was 1st perscribed it worked pretty well now it doesn't work at all!

Comment from: Infinity, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 11

Icannot get more than 4hours sleep except once on current dosage, night sweats, forgetfullness, blurred vision after taking it,tremors.

Related Reading: night sweats | tremors

Comment from: gigi, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: March 30

30mg works well when I can devote 8-9hrs of sleep during the night, still feel a little drowsy when I wake up, but it wears off fast.

Comment from: Lynn, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 04

I was prescribed 50 mg. It does not work for me. I have taken it 3 nights and was still awake after 2 & 3 hrs.

Comment from: mickeyc, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: August 20

Started off on 60 mg, first night I slept 8 hours, which was good for me. The bitter taste in your mouth doesn't seem to go away. Second night on 60 mg, I only got 5 hours of sleep....not impressed, maybe tonight will be better. My Dr told me to give it about a week.

Comment from: steve, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: June 15

slepped like ababy, and was calm and cool the next day.

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 12

took about 3 hours for sleepiness to kick in after taking it. left a metal taste in my mouth the next morning. i can deal with the odd taste for a goodnights sleep.

Comment from: LF297, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 03

I took Dalmane for the first time last night at 9:00 p.m. It made me vert antsy and I was thrashing around in my bed a half an hour later. After that I slept very sound until 9:00 this morning. Haz anyone else exhibited thsws side affects. Ambien does the same thing.

QUESTION

What is insomnia? See Answer
Comment from: pup136, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

leaves a bad taste n mouth the nex morn.

Comment from: Dalmane, 75 or over Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: January 03

Very ineffective in comparison with barbiturates

Comment from: Tom, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: January 03

i work night shift so when i go to sleep in the morning, i can only sleep 3-4 hours. I take Dalmane only on occasion and it works perfect! I sleep 6+ hrs and wake up very refreshed. I HIGHLY recommend it to night shift workers who cannot sleep long periods during the day

Related Reading: dalmane

Comment from: w6wzz3, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: May 01

for me take 2 tab

Comment from: gail, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 25

It worked well for sleep, but made my teeth with crowns on them ache terribly. had to stop taking it. the first night i didn't take it, my teeth no longer hurt. had a dental exam (ex-rays) and no other cause was found.