Darvocet-N

Comment from: Ed, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: December 17

Most effective in my case with sciatica due to a mildly slipped lumbar disc. Used in conjunction with stretching it was helpful. It was not as good for pain relief after rotator cuff surgery.

Related Reading: sciatica

Comment from: 3backsurgeriesawaiting4th, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 29

I've never had a reaction as I had with Darvocet N. I only attempted to take it for a few days. I hallucinated by seeing dark colors and heard voices telling me to kill myself. I had never had such an experience before or since. It was horrible.

Comment from: buster, 65-74 (Patient) Published: June 17

I have suffered back pain for years due to curvature of my spine and difference in leg length....I took darvocet for a year or two and it helped...then I had to change doctors and was told they do not precribe darvocet to elderly persons..I cannot take asprin products, codeine or vicodine so was in a bind. Tylenal does little to help. Mr doctor put me on small dose of methadone and it helps but I just had foot surgery and needed more...they would not give me darvocet...I am looking for more information on darvocet and why it is not precribed for older people!!!

Related Reading: codeine

Comment from: chickadee, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: February 15

relief for about 2 hours, then back pain, hips and tailbone starting with chronic pain again, I cant stand to be in this much pain and cant help but think there is no relief out there for me

Related Reading: chronic pain

Comment from: Eric Grimes, 35-44 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 31

It helps my neuropathy pain somewhat but at what cost, it's destroying my liver and who knows what else, and I becoming physically addicted. Cannabis works FAR better for my pain, I just take a lozenge every hour and I'm good to go! PLUS - no negative side efftects

Related Reading: liver

Comment from: mofarrar, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: October 26

I have had migraines since 5 yrs old, now 45. I have used Darvocet-100N for about 20 yrs. Very happy with it in helping with the milder migranes. No side-effectws to speak of or to my knowledge.

Comment from: R. Fender, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: December 28

I developed a fairly chronic back ache and was diagnosed with a bulging disc between T7-T8 and was given a prescript for Darvocet and got by with 1 a day to take the edge off the pain. Months later after much therapy and chiropractic manipulations things hadn't really gotten better so I allowed cortisone injections into the nerve area between my vertabra in my thoracic spine where the bulged disc was and briefly was placed on Vicodin until the pain from the shots subsided. The cortisone injections have been very succesful for almost a year but I have had some recurring pain and now my disc has herniated and the disc below it is now bulged according to the latest MRI I've had done. Still, I'm getting by with a maintenence dose of 1 Darovocet a day when I have pain, 2 a day if it's really bad or none if I'm feeling pretty decent. I feel this medication is extremely helpful and at the low doses I'm able to get by on I'm not fearful of developing any health problems with it.

Related Reading: cortisone | vicodin

Comment from: Jami, 35-44 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: October 01

I have been on Darvocet-N for two straight years for severe endo. I've had eight surgies. I can't sit for more than an hour without pain and can't stand for more than 20min withour major pain.This pain medicine helps the intense pain but never fully takes the pain away. I can function pretty well while on the medicine. I feel two years straight on this medicine, what is it going to do to my liver?

Related Reading: darvocet-n

Comment from: Lidarose, 65-74 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 17

I had a right-sided hemi-colectomy and had severe pain afterwards. They gave me Percocet which helped some but the side effects were awful. When I used the 50 mg. Darvocet, my pain was completely relieved and I was able to take less and less until now I'm completely off of the Darvocet, with no appreciable side-effects! I also used this drug when I had severe menstrual cramps as a young woman with great results, as I was able to return to school which I was missing once a month due to the severity of the cramps. I think Darvocet is a wonderful pain reliever with a minimum of side effects. I have also taken the plain 65 mg. Darvon with the same wonderful results! Great drug!

Related Reading: percocet | menstrual cramps | darvon

Comment from: 65-74 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: July 27

temporary treatment of osteoarthritis in lieu of diclofenac which caused stomach damage after 6 mos.

Related Reading: osteoarthritis | diclofenac

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: June 15

I am sleeping better with less pain.

Comment from: nelly06, 19-24 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: April 30

works great had no problems.

Comment from: jackalopesforal, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: April 12

I have been given this medication for 3 different issues over the years, and it has had different effectiveness for each problem. My first encounter was for dysmenorrhea, and it worked very, very well for what were crippling cramps and period-related back/leg pain. Side effects were pretty run of the mill- greater risk of dehydration, constipation, sleepiness- but the med allowed me to get back to my daily life rather than keeping me from it, as some meds do. The second time I took Darvocet was after a surgery to remove an ovarian cyst. I had been on Norco (10mg), then Dilauded (2mgs) and they were both making me vomit, so my docs prescribed the Darvocet (100 mg this time, as opposed to 50mgs before) because people tend to have less stomach irritation with it. Sure enough, I stopped throwing up, and, while my pain wasn't managed quite as well with the other meds, I was much happier on the Darvocet. Most recently I had Darvocet for a herniated disc in my lower back (50mgs). Unfortunately, this most recent time the Darvocet only helped for one day, and then my pain level became more acute and I had resort to a stronger medication. I think the Darvocet works very well for how mild the side effects are, and for moderate pain it has to be the best medication I have encountered, although my experience is pretty limited. Considering it stood up to my 1 week post surgery pain, it is surprisingly effective.

Related Reading: dehydration | constipation | cyst

Comment from: marie, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: March 23

did not work well with me. caused my stomach upset. i followed directions and ate 20 minutes before taking.

Comment from: valerie, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: April 07

The disk in my back are crumbling,causing terrible pain. My doctor wants to try med's that are not narcotics. I have had this for several years,but they are just now finding the cause for pain. I don't think he knows what he is doing.I can't sleep,trouble riding in a car,and even hurts when I sit and read. The list goes on.

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: April 12

no problems just seeing what people say

Comment from: Brandon7806, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: April 12

I had been prescribed this drug for treatment of lower back pain after surgery. The medication made me very nauseous, and when I told my doctor he prescribed me promethazyne for the nausea. I continued taking the Darvocet for my back, until I started having heart palpitations. I searched online to see if this could be a side effect of the drugs I was taking, and came across this website: http://www.DarvocetSideEffectsLawyer.com, where I learned that consumer advocacy groups had been trying to get the drug pulled from the market for over 30 years due to the serious and even deadly side effects, including heart related side effects, and there is now a lawsuit against the drug manufacturer. Needless to say, I immediately stopped taking the Darvocet, and even went as far as finding a new doctor. My new doctor switched me to codeine, which is no better on my stomach, but at least I dont have to worry about it sending me into cardiac arrest. I would recommend anyone currently taking Darvocet or any other drug containing propoxyphene such as Darvon to speak with their doctor about switching to a safer pain relief medication.

Related Reading: lower back pain | palpitations | codeine

Back Pain: 16 Back Pain Truths and Myths See Slideshow
Comment from: williewalk, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: November 26

I wouldn't be able to function in normal every-day activities if not for the Darvocet. I have no side effects, and have been taking it for three years. I have pancreatitis and constant back pain.

Related Reading: pancreatitis

Published: June 18

dfsaf

Comment from: mylove44, 35-44 (Patient) Published: November 04

i already take seroquel so i know it dont mix

Related Reading: seroquel

Comment from: BigT0001, 55-64 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: November 19

Today, Nov 19, 2010 the maker of Darvon and Darvocet announced that it will stop marketing the widely used painkillers in the U.S. because of a new study linking the active ingredient in the drugs to serious and sometimes fatal heart rhythm abnormalities.

Related Reading: darvon