DDAVP

Comment from: 7-12 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year Published: December 04

My 7 yr. old was put on this medication and it did not help his bedwetting. It should be out there that the FDA put out a worning about this medication. This is from the YAHOO website. The Food and Drug Administration said it has received 61 reports of seizures, two of which were fatal, among patients taking desmopressin, a drug that lowers the amount of water eliminated in urine. The agency said the drug can sometimes lower the amount of sodium in patients' blood to dangerous levels, causing the seizures. Desmopressin is sold by several companies, including privately held Ferring Pharmaceuticals, under names such as DDAVP, DDAVP nasal spray and DDAVP rhinal tube. The FDA has requested manufacturers to change the labeling on the drug's nasal-drop formulations to no longer recommend use for bedwetting, as children may be especially susceptible to dangerously low sodium levels. The proposed revised label would also state that desmopressin should no longer be used by patients with a history of sodium deficiency. The drug is still approved to treat excessive thirst, urination and dehydration caused by injury, surgery and certain medical conditions. Labels on desmopression tablets, the FDA says, should also advise patients to stop using the drug if they experience vomiting, diarrhea or other conditions that lower fluid levels. The agency said all forms of desmopressin should be used carefully by patients taking drugs that cause them to drink more, including antidepressants. This is a medication that I am glad my son had been taken off of about a month ago.

Related Reading: bedwetting | ddavp | ddavp nasal spray

Published: October 10

Yes, my son's bed wetting had decreased, but he suffered a seizure and had been hospitalized for three days from it.

Related Reading: seizure

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: May 12

My son,11, has taken this med for over 6 months. He was dry from day 1 with just one pill. We did not 'take a break' after a couple of months as directed by the md. About 2 months after beginning this treatment, he became very irritable, angry and prone to explosive episodes of frustration and aggression, even hitting himself in the forehead with his fist. We started behavior therapy and I took him off the drug 8 days ago. He has been dry every night since, and his mood has improved to the point where he has stopped hitting himself and is much less irritable, more like a normal 11 year old boy! We will keep him off for another week or two and watch his mood and behavior and talk with his md and therapist before deciding whether the drug is to blame for the episodes. Hope this is helpful.

Comment from: Mom of 10 year old boy, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: April 05

My son was on this medication for a year... with mixed results. I took him to the urologist at Childrens Med Center WA, DC. and was told NOT to use this medicine, it was put on the FDA black box list, AND was told by the doctor that 80% of the children they see are merely DEHYDRATED.. and DON'T need medicine, they merely need to drink 8 oz of water and then pee and continue that throught he day. The doctor stated the bedwetting is a function of their stools not passing due to their dehydration. The next day, and every day there after for the past 3 years, he has been drinking his water, peeing, and NO MORE BED WETTING. Doctors should be sued for presribing this medicine, when a simple solution (drink fluids and pee) is the answer... I hope this helps every Mom out there, who is tired of cleaning bed linens. I learned about the water drinking issue when my son was 10.. All pediatricians should know this simple solution, drink water and pee.

Related Reading: dehydration

Comment from: KK, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: November 30

My son was a bed wetter from day 1. The doctor told us about this drug but said it works beeter on kids age 6 and up, we got the doctor to give it to us at age 5, we started with 1 pill and still had wetting we increased it to 2 still wetting, when we gave him 3 pills a night NO MORE BED WETTING! It was a mircle drug for us he used it for a year after that, we decresed to 2 pills and still had sucess. By age 7 we would do 1 or 2 pills if he had a late night sports practice or game in which he drank a lot other regular nights we just watched the fluid intake after dinner and he went to bed with no pills and did fine. He is now 9 and I can't remeber the last time we used them. This medication was the best thing that happened to our family, we all started getting a good night's sleep and waking up refreshed ready to start the next day! We never experienced any side effects and he never complained about taking the medicine. It is a huge boost to be able to sleep at a friends house and not have to tell them you are a bed wetter. I say try this medicine for yourself before you make up your mind from these reviews.

Comment from: 13-18 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: February 24

curious about recent reports of seizures,etc-what dose were these patients getting?

Comment from: Developmentally Disabled, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: August 14

I have provided care for special needs (Developmentally Disabled) children & adults since 1991. Two of the males were wet most every morning. After introduction of DDVAP, both remained dry within a week of taking the 0.2 MG DDAVP tablet both were DRY overnight! Male #1 began DDVAP in 1993 @ age 10. Took DDVAP about 3 years. After discontinuance of DDAVP, he was then dry @ night. Male #2 began DDVAP in 2005 @ age 19, continued for about 2 yrs. Was dry about 5 nights a week. Reinstated DDVAP in 2010, & has remained on DDVAP since 2010, is dry almost every night. Wet nights are less than 5 in a YEAR! This med has proven to be effective in these 2 Developmentally Disabled young men. I recommend any parent or care giver, to discuss their child's situation & determine if it is appropriate for their child.

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: June 20

My son took this for about 7 days and then started feeling faint and would just lay on the floor and couldn't get up. I took him off after the 2nd day of his faintness. It was pretty scary to watch. The drug did stop the bedwetting after the 2nd day of taking it but it's not worth the risk to see an 11 year old healthy boy faint like that.

Related Reading: bedwetting

Comment from: on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: May 31

AFTER HAVING MY CHILD TAKE THE MEDICATION FOR TWO WEEKS THE MEDICATION IS NO LONGER EFFECTIVE..

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: January 27

11 year old male takes 3 pills which are .2 each night before bed, 2 months and only one accident. It has been wonderful for him to wake up dry. He has even ventured out to sleepovers.

Comment from: justjulie, 7-12 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: November 09

My 11 year old son took this medication for 2-3 months and had only 1 dry night. Not work the risk to his kidneys so we stopped it. We just started a new drug tonight after being drug free for several months with no relief. I would skip this one.

Comment from: mgordon, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: July 23

9 year old son is a constant bedwetter all his life. Finally we got this medication after the Doctor had him eat salty chips before bed. That didnt work. Thought he was "backed up" so they did an ultrasound - not backed up. Obviously we did the cutting off liquids HOURS before bed- still didnt work. So we are on day 6 with taking 1 pill a night and it has NOT worked at all. So tomorrow night we will be uping it to 2 pills. will report back.....

Comment from: 7-12 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: February 09

My daughter is 7 years old and we just started last night on 3 pills because 1 and 2 did not work. She was dry this morning so we will see. :) My question is if anyone has experienced drastic mood changes or obsessive behaviors from their kids while on this medication?

Comment from: ty, 7-12 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: December 31

My 9 yr old son used to take 2 pills nightly and we stopped using it because it didn't work. We have tried 3 pills for past 2 nights & still woke up wet. He has been wetting about 5-7 nights per week.

Comment from: 25-34 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: September 23

I have to use the bathroom very frequently. Sometimes I've gone once and then was able to go immediately following. This is a very effective drug. It will reduce frequency by a vast amount. I'd say about 50%. It also allows you to hold your blatter better. Instead of feeling like you have to pee as bad as you do when you just wake up, its just a minor feeling. A side affect of this drug is that, while it does help reduce the frequency, the feeling that you need to go to the bathroom does not go away completely. All in all, its a great drug and it helps a lot. I have not yet noticed a reduced effectiveness, but my usage has been sporatic. I will also add that, while I don't know all the medical facts, I was told that if you take in too much fluid while on this drug, you can be put into a coma; though, this might be specific to diabetes insipidus.

Related Reading: coma | diabetes

Comment from: annonymous, 7-12 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 16

we used the nasal spray first. first three nights, one squirt per script instructions. No results. Called doc. he said double up. No results. We switched to pill. One pill each night for a week. No results. Two pills each night for a week. No results. This was a waste of time and money and it has made my son feel worse about himself.

Comment from: Shelley, 35-44 on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: September 05

My daughter (9) has been on this for more than 2 years. She is using the nasal spray, 1 squirt each night. No bedwetting unless she forgets to take it. My concern is she has gained weight in the last 2 years and am not sure if its from this medicine or not. Are there any other alternatives to bedwetting than desmopressin??

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: June 20

This was used for my son. I was not very satisfied at all. It did not work at all.

QUESTION

About how much does an adult human brain weigh? See Answer
Comment from: 7-12 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: May 14

9 year old female with bedwetting, drug was ineffective. Allergic reaction to medication after 3 days of use (rash).

Related Reading: bedwetting | rash

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: December 21

My 6 year old daughter wet the bed 6 out of 7 nights. Once we started the ddavp she hasn't wet the bed once. She takes the lowest dose, just one pill. It is wonderful and she is a much happier child.

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: March 02

I'm 26 now, but I wet the bed until I was 13. I took this med when I was with no affect so we stopped. when I went back on it at 11 is worked! It took 2 years to be able to go off entirely and I haven't had an episode in the 13 years since I went off it. Come to found out as an adult I actually have a condition called Interstitial Cystitis....so that probably worsened my bed wetting as a kid. Either way though I credit this medication (along with bladder training) with finally helping me to be a normal kid (who didn't have to wear pull-ups to sleep overs anymore!!)

Related Reading: interstitial cystitis

Comment from: pchelpinc, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: March 31

I take it TID, so it is a pain to remember to take it at work. Even though it is a little less effective than the Nasal Spray, it is better on my blood pressure (sort of evens it out more), and it is easier on the nose :).

Comment from: mlloyd6922, 25-34 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: April 06

I have been taking DDAVP since I was 5 years old, I am now 28. I take 3 sprays in the morning, afternoon and before bed for Diabetes Insipidus. Without this medication I would literally need to urinate every 5 minutes. By taking this medication I don't need to go for several hours and I can sleep through the night. This medications begins to work immediately since it is absorbed through sinus passages. I have tried using the pill form with no luck. DDAVP is a life saver for me. Con- The only one I can think of is when I have sever sinus congestion it becomes difficult for me to get and adequate amount.

Related Reading: ddavp | diabetes

Comment from: bbwhited, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: April 13

if you take this medication for diabetes insipidus, do not allow the doctor to limit your use, make sure you have atleast a one year supply on hand at pharmacy at all times, so that you never run out of refills, i been on this medication since 1983 after a tumor removal thru a craniotomy, i am dependent upon this medication, one time i went four days without this medicaiton due to a doctor wanting to see me in the office for a yearly visit, and had a salt imbalance due to water flushing of electrolytes and so on, had to be hospitalized for 6 days to recuperate

Related Reading: diabetes

Comment from: 55-64 (Patient) Published: January 20

Adult Diabtic, overactive bladder too and MS thhis was the only effective treatment that let me sleep through the night!! Thankyou

Related Reading: overactive bladder