Demerol

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: March 25

Demerol is under-prescribed and its benefits are underestimated. This is THE best pain medicine medicine available today with regards to effectiveness and minimal side effects. My husband has been on 100mg 4x day for 8 years for his degenerative disks in his lower back, and I use as much as 500mg in a day for neuropathic pain flares and a daily dose of 50 to 100mg for the past 5 years. Neither of us have had ANY of these "horrible toxic effects" that doctors freak out about since the metabolite of Demerol (normeperidine) supposedly causes seizures and all sorts of toxic poisoning effects. Well, not a single Seizure from either of us daily users and are productive citizens thanks to this med. No one we have contact with can even tell we take narcotic pain pills because we have no drowsiness or mental fog that all of the other narcotics cause. Our moods have drastically improved as well since Demerol also has an effect on serotonin levels and we have more energy and motivation to do things. We have tried ALL of the other short and long acting narcotics and while some may reduce pain, the pain seems to be so much worse when the pill is wearing off and waiting for the next dose is horrible! Demerol slowly wears off but always seems to leave you feeling ok enough to make it until the next dose. I love this stuff and have NOT become an addict like so many drs fear. I wish the negative stigma of Demerol would go away and drs would feel ok prescribing this for chronic pain instead of those oxys that everyone gets hooked on. My only complaint is that I wish pharmaceutical companies would finally make an Extended Release formula for those of us who otherwise have to constantly keep track of taking several short-acting ones throughout the day.

Related Reading: demerol | neuropathic pain | seizure

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: January 03

My initial dose for chronic ongoing pain was 25mg as prescribed. 2011, I was taking 100mg. I could have had it increased but the 100mg made me comfortable & able to function without zonking or dapping me out. Because I moved to Neveda I can't find a Dr. That would give it to me. Gave me alot of other meds that made me crazy or didn't help at all. Thank God I didn't go thru any withdrawel or experience any withdrawel symptoms! None! From 1985-2011 & only 100mg! Well, I am back to suffering! I rather suffer the pain than continue to go crazy with side affects of more meds they want me to take while wasting my money! My life is so limited again! Shame on you Doctors that won't work with your patient who can benefit from Demerol!

Comment from: susanherna, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 11

Years ago, I had to have all four wisdom teeth cut out at the same time. My dentist gave me Demerol to take for the pain. I ate fried chicken that night! I would say that it worked!

Related Reading: wisdom teeth

Comment from: Moedob, 55-64 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: August 04

I have been prescribed Demerol since 1989 and the only suggestion I can make is that no 2 people will have the same reactions from any medications.It took me a lot of trial and error to find that this works best for me.Initially,I had to take gravol for nausea before I could take the Demerol but that stopped after the first couple of years.I have trigeminal neuralgia (nerve damage located in the face)

Related Reading: trigeminal neuralgia

Comment from: 35-44 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: January 18

Ladies and Gentlemen: demerol is the highest narcotic, just below heroin and methodone which is the same as heroin but based in an analgesic/aspirin. Morphine ranks below demerol. I find it interesting many saying this works better than OTC, this is the reason - and why drs look at you funny when you say im prescribed demerol. Im on methodone/marijuana for spondlythesis grade 4. Opiates/narcotics literally rot your brain by reducing your brain's natural production of endorphines, which is your body's way of dealing with pain. This is the reason why they need to perscribe higher doses or increase frequency. Im shocked at the lack of knowledge of this drug in the public sector and the normal clinical trials and side effects are not listed on this site. Marijuana, with the taboo aside, works more effectively than narcotics and it also relieve anxiety/panic attacks (also a host of other conditions, like muscle pain/tightness) which i suffer too. Marijuana has a 4% addiction rate (without ppl's demonization) with narcotics having a greater than 75% addiction rates. Yes, you heard right, marijuana is almost overdose and addiction proof. Look up marinol, that is the pill form of marijuana. I no longer take narcotics, because of the horrible side effects. Anyone who tries to ween themselves cold turkey off of demerol/narcotics will know what I mean. Methodone is the weening drug and marijuana is replacing that has MUCH easier side effects to deal with. Please exercise caution when you using this drug. If you are using for muscle aches, don't let a dr. Rx you this. Demerol, morphine, methodone and heroin is only for end of life, imho. Marijuana is also used for end of life, but can be used for day-day use. That is why there is greater and greater political and social pressures on the gov't to let physicians Rx it and have another tool in their arsenals. I have had 5, and a friend who is parpalegic 3 top neurologists, tell us it is superior to narcotics.

Related Reading: demerol | aspirin | marijuana

Comment from: 35-44 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: August 08

ive taken demerol for 8 or 9 yrs now for chronic low back pain from 2 surgeries. It has worked well for me and its clean, no side effects other than dry mouth.Ive taken every pain killer out there and demerol is the best.

Related Reading: demerol | dry mouth

Comment from: missy, 35-44 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: June 26

Demerol does not effect me in any way except take the pain away, I don't get tired from it, i don't feel "high", I don't get constipated, its the only pain med that totally agrees with me

Related Reading: demerol

Comment from: billy136, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: November 19

I've had shoulder and neck muscle pain on and off the past 45 years. It started when I was 17 and occured 4 or 5 times until I was 23. I haven't had them since, until 3 weeks ago, when the flared up again. When I was a young man (17-23)I was being treated by an ostheopathic doctor, he gave me physical therapy and prescribed Demerol which always took care of the problem. For me Demerol works better than any other painkiller on the market. But like a previous post here by someone else, you can't get a doctor to prescribe it. The doctors always ask what I can tolerate for painkillers, because I am allergic to percodan and percocet. When I tell them that demerol always worked best for me, they give me a weird look that makes me feel like they think I am a drug addict,lol. Then they all say that doctors very rarely prescribe demerol anymore unless it is an extreme case like an amputation or so, because it is such a strong narcotic. So they always give me Tyleno #3 with codeine, which is okay but it doen't relive the pain that much and it only works for a few hours. Where as demerol always took away my pain and usually lasted 10-12 hours. I really think a lot of doctors are afraid to prescribe strong narcotics for fear of being sued is the patient did indeed become addicted to them.

Related Reading: percodan | percocet | codeine

Comment from: Excalibur, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 01

This is the only drug I can take for severe pain that doesn't make me very sick. I had 7 teeth extracted and asked for Demerol specifically. They wanted to give me anything but. They were glad to give me other Codeine, Opiate or hydrocodone based drugs. When I explained I couldn't take them they still resisted??? Although I understand you can become dependent on this drug you can also become dependent on all the others they are willing to write prescriptions for???? I think they think you are suspicious if you ask for something specifically. I know this, it saved me when I had this procedure and I only had to take 5 of the 20 I was prescribed. Don't worry Dr.'s not everyone is an addict.

Related Reading: codeine | hydrocodone

Comment from: April,L., 45-54 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: February 23

I suffer a great deal with familial hemepoligic migrains + fibro mialgia. I have tryed all other pain meds and demerol is the ONLY thing that works. My first shot was at age 3. And yes, im sick of dr,s looking at me as im an addict!!! There are people out there like me, in real pain. Maybe it would help if Doctors were more educated as to knowing what real pain is all about! What ever happened to the oath these doctors took? Seems that all its about is damn money!!

Comment from: Shytowngirl, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: August 06

I was prescribed this RX about a year ago, after being diagnosed with acute intermittent porphyria which causes a great deal of pain in my limbs and back. This has worked wonders for me and has allowed me to have a better quality of life than before with just OTC meds. Works for me.

Related Reading: porphyria

Comment from: dem/50 mg., 45-54 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: December 25

i have gout occasionnaly and take 800 mg. of advil during the day while at work, but soon as I can after work take 100 mg. demerol and it takes away the feeling of a sledge hammer hitting my ankle every time my heart beats. It is a shame that doctors are afraid to prescribe as this medication works better than the oxycodone that many people get addicted to.

Related Reading: gout

Comment from: phyllis, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: September 20

It makes me feel a high. I do not get sleepy as some people do with pain killers. So, the pain in better and so is my mood.

Comment from: healme, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 13

I suffer from Cluster headaches and when I have gone to the ER they used to give me Demerol. This was a few years ago. I would be out of pain in 5 minutes and could go home and sleep it off. Last night I had a MONDO Cluster and had to go to the ER and they gave me an IV cocktail of benedryl,toradol, ativan and reglan, plus a shot in the stomach of Imetrex. All that crap took about 40 minutes to work and never completely took the pain away. I just told them it did because I wanted to get out of there! They hardly ever give Demerol down her in S. Florida and if you ask for it they just think you're a junkie. It was the best I've ever had for pain.

Related Reading: cluster headaches | demerol | toradol

Comment from: breezy, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 09

I was given this drug when admitted to the hospital for ovarian cysts. I am allergic to most narcotic pain meds (such as codeine and morphine and their derivatives) and was thrilled when this med was tolerated quite well. I have had surgery to remove the ovaries and am now on Demoral orally at home. The relief is somewhat less than the IV, however all around I love this medication. A little dry mouth and flushing are my only side effects.

Related Reading: ovarian cysts | codeine | dry mouth

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: March 18

swift and effective pain reducer. swift but shortlasting pain relief

Comment from: brayden99, 25-34 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: February 01

i have tried every pain med and would get demerol inj every doc appt. now get oral demerol for migraines cronic pain and fibomyalgia. It is the best i have tried way better than lorecet or morphine. docs should perscribe this more often and its hard to get it at a pharmacy, but is very cheap

Related Reading: demerol

Comment from: petite_1, 35-44 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: December 30

I have an arachnoid cyst in my brain, my neurologist gave me 150-200 mg of demerol every 4-6 hours. this takes away the pain, does not make me sleepy, but gives me jitters, and i seem hyper, restless. i also get alot of itching with it. but this is the only thing that takes away my pain and not make me sick to my stomach like the other pain meds do like hydrocodone, ect.

Related Reading: cyst | hydrocodone

Comment from: 25-34 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: July 06

I was given this along with Phenergan to ease pain post wisdom teeth removal. It worked great I slept away the weekend pain free (my wife keeping track of when I was due more pain meds). I started them on Thursday and took them through Sunday and was fine. I had to work Monday however and discontinued them. I was left feeling, for a lack of a better expression, totally stoned, which was not great when you are trying to get some work done. I was fine on Tuesday though. Just wanted to let people know in case they have any similar plans to mine.

Related Reading: phenergan | wisdom teeth

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 17

I was in the hospital for severe headache and neck/backache. The pain was caused by a fall, and it turned out I had a concussion. I liked Demerol better than Morphine. Even though after taking it my blood pressure dropped to 102/50, it didn't make me feel as restless, jittery, etc., as morphine and other hydrocodone/codine drugs do. This allowed me to finally get some well-needed rest and relieved my pain quickly. Normally I have to take phenergen with my pain medication to prevent nausea and vomiting, but I didn't have to use any this time. I was on 75mg (1mL) injections of this medication. It still gave me the fishbowl for a head feeling, but I'll live with that over severe pain!

Related Reading: headache | concussion | nausea and vomiting

Comment from: blythe2, 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: April 21

I have chronic back pain and Demerol is the only narcotic I can take without getting extremely sick. It's a shame doctors don't like to RX this, even pharmacies tend not to carry it, for people like me that can't take any form of oxycodone, this is a Godsend.

Related Reading: demerol

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 28

i got a wisdom tooth removed and this medication was very good for relieving the pain, but i was very nauseous most of the time and i felt like it gave me mood swings. i felt a sudden onset of depression when i used it

Related Reading: depression

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: September 12

I take this for my migraines, which are quite frequent. I always cut the tablet in half as a full 'dose' hits me like a ton of bricks. It's very effective but I hope I don't become addicted!

Comment from: Hera1975, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 27

work really well..But it made me higher than a kite

Comment from: Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: August 26

IT RELIEVES PAIN BETTER THAN VICODIN AND PERCOCET. BETTER THAN MORPHINE AT REACHING THE MU RECEPTORS.

Related Reading: vicodin | percocet