Depakote ER

Comment from: J 19-24 Female 2 to less than 5 years Patient Published: April 06

More frequent and more severe seizures, weight loss, kidney stones, drastic changes in sleep habits, easily angered with no memory of lashing out.

Related Reading: kidney

Comment from: 25-34 Female 6 months to less than 1 year Patient Published: October 10

I had tried so many medications for migraines and none worked. This one has worked great!

Comment from: 35-44 Female less than 1 month Patient Published: November 07

I have been on this drug off and on for a couple of decades. It helps with my depression and cycling. However, I get just about every side effect there is on it. Stomach issues, crossed eyes, severe hand tremor, weight gain, unsteadiness, etc. That is why I don't stay on it. It ruins almost all of my hobbies, making life a bit less enjoyable. So, for me, it is a catch 22. Go off and deal with depression or stay on it and deal with the side effects?

Related Reading: depression

Comment from: 45-54 Male 1 to 6 months Patient Published: July 12

I was having headaches everyday. Now I have none. The drug does make me a little sleepy during the day but it's nothing compared to having headaches all the time.

Comment from: Chatty 55-64 Female 10 years or more Patient Published: October 01

This med does not work. DO NOT GO OFF COLD TURKEY. I ended up in the ER with almost having a heart attack. I am 63 and was on it for over 20 yrs. The dr. said it would be out of my system in less than 24 hrs. WRONG! A very dangerous drug.

Related Reading: heart attack

Comment from: 25-34 Female 1 to less than 2 years Patient Published: September 06

Depakote has been the only migraine preventative that has worked for me I don't like the weight gain but it is better than having headaches everyday

Comment from: Mr man 35-44 Male 10 years or more Patient Published: March 21

No seizures since starting this med maybe 15 years ago. I tried maybe half dozen in the past and nothing really worked. I did experience a little weight gain (10-15lbs) with this one.

Comment from: ccm 45-54 Female 6 months to less than 1 year Patient Published: May 26

I began this medication last summer. It helped relatively quickly with the mania that comes with my anxiety, or bipolar 2 disorder. I have not been having many side effects until recently and became worried when reading these reviews. My hips, knees and neck are just achy...my neck is so much so, that it effects my eye socket, as the pain travels up the back of my head and feels like my eye socket is swollen. Liver panels have come back normal, but Dr. upped meds to 1000 in December. I'm back for liver panel in June, but the achy is killing me. Just started a substantial weight gain...maintained for months...so again, worried about hip and knees.

Related Reading: anxiety | liver

Comment from: Fish-N-Mom 7-12 Female 1 to 6 months Caregiver Published: October 30

My 11 yr old has been on this med for about 3 months now for petite mals. She was put on the generic form first b/c it's so much cheaper than brand name. After 2 months Generic did not stop her szs, it caused her to be very irritable, hungry every waking moment, stomach cramps first couple of weeks. Neuro wanted to add 2nd generic med with generic Depakote, I said no, wanted to try brand name to see if it works better. THIRD day taking brand Depakote the szs stopped completely!!! Side effects are almost non-existent. She's not as hungry, no stomach pain, and her happy personality is back! I will never let anyone, in medical field or not, try to convince me that generics are same quality as brand name. Brand name is expensive ($165 with coupon vs. $16 generic monthly) but it works to stop szs and I have my sweet happy little girl back!!! In our situation it is definitely worth the price. I am amazed how well it works compared to generic and so happy I tried this instead of listening to nuero and putting her on 2 generic meds with no telling what kind of side effects.

Related Reading: depakote

Comment from: dantc 55-64 Female 2 to less than 5 years Patient Published: August 30

My wife has been taking Depakote for 2 1/2 years. Three 500 mg. tablets nightly. Severe tremors manifested in left hand

Related Reading: depakote | tremors

Comment from: LizBeth 45-54 Female 6 months to less than 1 year Patient Published: August 29

it reduced the occurrence of my seizures. once the dr increased the dose slightly, i haven't had a seizure.

Related Reading: seizure

Comment from: 55-64 Male Patient Published: July 31

short term, memory loss, enrergy loss.

Comment from: getting_better 45-54 Female 1 to 6 months Patient Published: July 16

My shrink started me on 1000mg of Depakote (as well as 60mg Cymbalta and 2mg Risperdal) 2 months ago, and while it has helped my moods, I do nothing but sleep and eat. (I have gained 15 lbs. in 2 months.) After 1 month, I went down to 500mg with the same effects. I have now gone back on Topamax (75mg twice a day). NOTE: I stopped taking Depakote for two nights, and the next day I had a pretty bad panic attack, which I haven't had in 12 years. So don't stop it on your own!

Related Reading: depakote | cymbalta | risperdal

Comment from: bearybear2001 35-44 Female 6 months to less than 1 year Patient Published: July 13

Have not had a seizure since taking. I also have migraines and have seen significant decrease in them. I have gained about 10 lbs, and have trouble sleeping now and cannot be out in the heat for long periods or it makes me sick.

Related Reading: seizure

Comment from: me 25-34 Female less than 1 month Patient Published: June 03

i took this in a string of drugs for aweful bipolar depression. unlike others, mine can last years. after a week or so i did become more organized and actually lost a few lbs even though it can make you gain (though i was dieting), but i didn't really feel i was getting better, so on i go to latuda

Related Reading: depression | latuda

Comment from: Deb (martin) Szabo 55-64 Female 1 to 6 months Patient Published: March 24

no side affects, other drugs used in treatment also

Related Reading: treatment

Comment from: 45-54 Female 5 to less than 10 years Caregiver Published: March 23

I dont recommended at all, its to dangerous medication, that the FDA should re-considered at the, market'

Comment from: mom 55-64 Female 5 to less than 10 years Caregiver Published: March 11

pharmacy can not find Depakote in all of the country. my son needs this medication to function.

Related Reading: depakote

Comment from: Mory 45-54 Female 5 to less than 10 years Patient Published: March 05

I have tried others for bipolar like effexor but it had terrible side effects, like mini shocks and it didnt work, I've been taking depakote for years and when I have tried to go w/o it for like two months b/c thats what bi-polars tend to do stupidly, they had to do a baker act on me, I will never try to do this again I hope.

Related Reading: effexor | depakote