Depo-Provera

Comment from: CraftyLady25-34on Treatment for 5-10 years Published: July 15

I could rant for hours but I'll keep it (kind of) brief for the sake of hoping people actually read this. I took depo for 6 years, starting at age 21, stopping at age 27, then switched to Mirena one year ago due to severe weight gain. I am now 28 and the depo effects are finally wearing off after a year of being off it. It wasnt until I got off depo that I realized the enormous effects (other than weight) that it had on me and my life. Pros: 1) Worked. No bleeding, no pain, no migraines. 2) Easy, no mess (like the ring), no nausea (like pills). Cons: 1) 55lb weight gain, very gradual. Thought it was just me getting older but I've already lost half a year later just from switching. 2) Excruciating sex. Caused thinning of vaginal wall lining and horrible dryness per my OBGYN. 3) Killed my libido (not just because of pain), made me feel dead and I had no desire. It was like a part of me was just snuffed out. Now that I switched I feel so flirty and sexy. 4) Tired and always operating on autopilot. Like a zombie. Now that I'm off, it feels like a fog has been lifted and I feel so alive and adventurous. So that’s my story. It worked, but its not worth it. Mirena solves all the same problems with none of the side effects. Depo changed my entire life for the worse and I didn’t even realize it. Don’t do it!

Related Reading: mirena

Comment from: 19-24on Treatment for 6 months to - 1 year Published: June 20

the depo shot is HORRIBLE. I got it six months ago and have not stopped bleeding since. It made my already bad cramps worse and caused me to gain weight that I have not been able to lose. It made my anxiety and depression worse and gave me requent headaches. I was pressured into getting it by my old gynecologist who told me there were no reported negative side effects, which couldn't have been farther from the truth. DO NOT get this shot, getting it was the worst decision I have ever made.

Related Reading: anxiety | depression