Desyrel

Comment from: kim, 19-24 on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: September 09

this medication can be very harmful. my mothers doctor prescribed her a large doseage and i thought it was alot but i didnt say anything. my mother didnt wake up one morning. her autopsy came back and it turned out this is waht killed her.

Comment from: christianna, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 27

I suffer from insomnia and depression. This medication lets me ease into a refreshing sleep without the nightmares of other sleep meds.

Related Reading: insomnia | nightmares

Comment from: trazhater, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 21

Trazodone is the devil in disguise! This drug was LIFE CHANGING, and I do not mean for the better. I was prescribed 50 mg at night because I had insomnia. (no depression, just insomnia). I took the first pill that night, and the next day I was dizzy. All day. (dizzy is actually an understatement- there were times I could not drive it was that bad). I started to have anxiety. And it only got worse and worse. SEVERE anxiety, 24/7, dry mouth which caused no appetite, I lost 13 pounds in 3 weeks, constant crazy thoughts, I WAS NOT THE SAME PERSON! (I took it for 8 days total) It has been FIVE WEEKS since I stopped and the dizziness is JUST NOW starting to subside a little, and it's going very slowly. The anxiety started to improve last week, so that would be 4 weeks of severe anxiety this drug caused me. The drug is out of your bloodstream by 48 hours, however, I am living proof that it stays in your brain for quite some time. I do not know how people take this drug and function normally. It has forever changed me, I will always be cautious from now on what prescriptions I put into my body. I DO NOT recommend this drug to anyone!!

Related Reading: trazodone | anxiety | dry mouth

Comment from: Diawnie, 25-34 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: August 18

I have been using this for several years now and have found it to be a wonderfull drug. It allows me to fall asleep within 30 mins. I had always had big trouble going to sleep because my head would just not stop. I can not stop thinking. Now after a very short time this drug allows my head to slow down enough to finally fall asleep. I am very happy with this drug.

Comment from: me, 35-44 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: February 13

I have been taking this drug for at least 15 years for severe insomnia after someone broke into my home while I slept. It has been a fantastic drug to put me to sleep and keeps me asleep all night. Does not cause hangover effect at all for me in the morning.

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: October 25

This is been an absolute answer to prayers for me. I have suffered from insomnia for years and tried many drugs, often resulting in weight gain or "hangovers" from the strength of the drug. Desyrel lets me get a full night's sleep and leaves me feeling well rested in the morning.

Related Reading: desyrel

Comment from: nurse, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: October 26

I have had trouble sleeping since my menopause days. Have tried other meds but still woke up at night. Some meds caused me to be too sleepy in the morning. But Trazodone allowed me to get a great night sleep and wake up alert and ready for the day.

Related Reading: menopause

Comment from: bicez, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 16

This medication was prescribed for insomnia. It has been very effective so far. I have been taking it for about three weeks with no side effects.

Comment from: angie5032, 25-34 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: August 30

I have from occasional insomnia due to depression and anxiety. Trazadone has worked wonders for me and helps me sleep while taking a very small dosage. It is not addictive like some other sleep meds and I don't always have to take it. There is no rebound insomnis or bad hangover effect. I am very satisfied with this drug.

Comment from: [email protected], 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: March 13

Diagnosed in 2000 with depression,insomnia,fibromyalgia, anxiety,Chronic Fatique,IBS, neuropathy,migraines,seasonal affective disorder(SAD). Works well for sleep I actually get into REM stage sleep and dreaming again. A person I know takes 200-300mg and she behaves with extreme hostily and anger towards peopleI think some people become psychotic on this med.

Related Reading: depression | insomnia | fibromyalgia

Comment from: TiredLu, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 16

I was prescribed this drug, 50 mg, for severe, chronic, menopausal-related insomnia. Ambian, Lunesta and all herbal rememdies have been ineffective. After reading all the reviews I was hopeful. However, after only two nights, I will no longer be taking this medication. Within about 30 minutes of taking the drug, my heart started racing. I was unable to fall asleep in a reasonable length of time. Once I did, I kept waking every 30 minutes or so, all night. This morning, I woke to a terrible headache, swollen eyelids and swollen fingers. Yesterday, during the day I experienced moderate agitation at work. I am happy this drug works for most folks. I recommend a person tries it for severe insomnia if prescribed. It is quite terrible to go w/o good quality sleep for so long. I hope I will find it someday.

Related Reading: lunesta | headache

Comment from: Matthew99, 25-34 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: March 16

I have tried many anti depressents and other sleep aids. I have chronic anxiety, very minor depression, and severe insomnia. I have been on seroquil, and although it made me sleep well, the side effects weren't fun. Today I use 100mg Trazadone and 1 mg of Xanax. I take the trazadone at night just before I go to sleep and I sleep very well. Sometimes I'm a little groggy in the morning but that doesn't last long. I take the Xanax 3 times a day and it works well with my anxiety. Seems like the mix of the 2 has really changed my overall quality of life and its been wonderful just being able not worry about every little minor thing. Nice thing about the Trazadone is that it doesn't affect your REM sleep so I wake up refreshed.

Related Reading: anxiety | xanax

Comment from: xultr, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: December 10

I have had chronic insomnia for years.Ambien and finally Valium assisted temporarily. However I became dependent on the Valium. Switching to Trazadone helped me get free of the Valium addition (over 3 weeks). I now sleep well with 150mg at bed. Some dry mouth but I feel great...wow!

Related Reading: ambien | valium | dry mouth

Comment from: susang90638, 55-64 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: May 20

After taking 150 mg of trazedone for 28 years, my insomnia was worse than ever. When I quit taking the trazedone, it became exponentially worse. I couldn't sleep at all. Or even go to sleep. I was awake for 4 days and nights straight. I then decreased the dosage over a 1 year period. Haven't taken it for 9 months now and believe that it has permanently altered my brain chemistry re sleep. Also my reaction to some drugs. Nitrous oxide no longer affects me. This is my dentist's opinion. Benadry and other antihistamines don't make me sleepy no matter how many I take. Halcyon does nothing, no matter what dosage. I believe this is the result of long-term use of trazedone. I would not recommend it to anyone for long-term use. It is dangerous. It seems innocuous, but it is not.

Comment from: BoberttheRob, 19-24 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: October 28

With Desyrel I haven't had many complaints. Like some have said, sometimes I wake up with a stuffy nose. And as time goes on it's become less effective. Not surprised. What I raelly wanted to say is that I've been taking a look at what's in Desyrel/Trazadone on wikipedia and learning some surprising info. Chloroquie: it cures malaria, but gives you a hell of a stomach ache and blurred vision. Digoxin - heart damage. Phenytoin: produces horizontal gaze nystagmus, has been linked to Fetal Alcohol Syndrome... apparently it builds up in your cerebral cortex after a while (the part of your brian that allows movement), makes your gums bleed, give you Lupus, seizures, ataxia, sudden sedation. I realize thtat the form these ingredients take as a part of Trazadone interact differently than they do on their own, and I admit my own ignorance of pharmacology. But why all this stuff? Plus it looks like a lot of their stuff is made from human waste. kina fascinaiting.

Related Reading: desyrel | malaria | digoxin

Learn to Spot Depression: Symptoms, Warning Signs, Medication See Slideshow
Comment from: Judy, 65-74 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: August 18

Have used 100 mgs at bedtime for many years for sleep disorder. Have had two incidents of it suddenly not working. Found it was due to different suppliers. As a caregiver, and as a patient, have found it is important to start with lowest dosage and increase until effective.

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: May 27

This is the only med that has been effective for me to get a full night's rest for six years straight! I started at 100mg and am down to 50 mg. I attribute this success to the anxiety relief it provides, as well as the fairly fast effects. Please note, for max effectiveness, an established routine works best as far as what time to go to sleep, and you have to have a light snack with this-but other than that, easy to use. Just don't skip doses and always carry with you if you might not be at home-I can't sleep well without it. I'm sure this varies amongst others that might be on other meds that cause drowsiness.

Related Reading: anxiety

Comment from: Vickihhh, 55-64 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year Published: April 19

I started taking 50 mg and was able to take only 25 mg and still get improved quality sleep. I still wake up at times but am not tossing and turning for hours. Seems alittle goes a long way.

Comment from: cINDY 6, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: August 29

AFTER BEING IN DENIAL ABOUT MY ANXIETY AND DEPRESSION I FINALLY WENT TO THE DR. HE PUT ME ON 50 MIL AND I HAVE FELT GREAT.I DONT DRIVE TO WORK IN THE MORNING WITH ANXIETY AND DEPRESSION ANYMORE AND I SLEEP GREAT,NO MORE RACING THOUGHTS OR DREAMS,AND I SLEEP LIKE A BABY!

Related Reading: anxiety | depression

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: May 29

My issue was insomnia and some minor depression. I've only been on the trazadone for two nights now (50 mg). It works very quickly. I have had two good night's rest. However, I am getting the stuffy nose. This is annoying, but it really only lasts for about 1 hr. I hope this goes away, as I like being able to sleep.

Related Reading: insomnia | depression

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: December 12

I have been using this drug for about ten years and it has been great for me. I feel fine in the morning and have no side effects.

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: October 18

I take this 1/2 hour before I go to bed and I am finally sleeping all night everynight which is a true blessing,however,I need a full 8 hours of sleep otherwise I wake up with a headache. I would recommend this med for anyone with Insomnia.

Related Reading: headache | insomnia

Comment from: RichardP, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: November 07

I have taken this medication for approx 30 years with no difficulties.

Comment from: luvnlifenow, 45-54 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: June 16

I suffer from major depression w/racing thoughts and have trouble sleeping. I take this medication at night and it helps me fall asleep. I also take a different antidepressant in the morning. It works wonderfully well.

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: March 24

Helped my sleeping problem but extremely lowered my sex drive and sensation.Will stop taking it.Sex with my husband is more important to me than sleeping:(.