Dexilant

Comment from: MN45-54on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: October 13

I took Dexilant years ago and was amazed at how well it worked on my acid reflux which would wake me up with violent vomiting sometimes during the night. I came off for a few years and recently went back on due to stress induced acid reflux issues. This time my muscles have started cramping severely and my leg/ joints knee to ankle are swollen. Went to the ER thinking it was a blood clot but that was negative. Symptoms have continued to get worse with pains in my other leg, arms and back. No one knows why, so we are assuming it is the Dexilant and I am discontinuing use.

Related Reading: dexilant | stress

Comment from: 65-71on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: August 21

Comment from: cairnsjenn65-71on Treatment for 5-10 years Published: July 31

I have been aking Dexilant for 6 years for heartburn but particulary inflamation in the esophagus. It has worked very well. I haven't had any side effects mentioned by other reviewers.I have to watch how much I eat as I can quickly get over full and have a lot of stomach discomfort for several hours. I frequently had an uncomfortable almost pain-like feeling in my stomach for no discernable reason starting 3 years ago. It lasted for 2 years. A test indicated stomach inflamation but when I was scoped 9 months later Dr said he couldn't see anything. I have had this sensation much less often over the last year. Don't know if any of this is due to Dexilant. I would have to go off it to tell. I had been on other PPI's for 6 years before starting Dexilant. I am 65 and will need a PPI for life. I'm worried about it causing cancer among people who have taken PPI's for a long time but the alternative is potential cancer of the esophagus. Can't win!

Related Reading: dexilant | heartburn | cancer

Comment from: lakeviewcalm55-64on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: March 10

I have a hiatus hernia, gerd, suffering from acid reflux, was taking nexium, Dr's thought I should try Dexilant. The first day I took this drug seemed okay, until 6 hours after taking the drug. I awoke with heart palpitations, a feeling of being punched in the gut, pain was horrible, started the diarrhea, went on like this for 4 hours. Finally I fell asleep, woke up the next day, didn't feel much better, by supper time I was so sick with the same feeling. I have called around and asked how long this takes to get out of your system, pharmacists says 24 hrs, I am now 48 hrs, after taking it, and I still have the symptoms, not as extreme, but they are still there. Back to Nexium. I do not recommend this drug whatsoever.

Related Reading: hernia | nexium | dexilant

Comment from: Dexilant65-71on Treatment for 5-10 years Published: October 23

I have Crohn's disease

Related Reading: crohn's disease

Comment from: Corysue 55-64on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: June 26

Started using after using Prilosec for years, so far so good. I’ve been using for one week, was having chronic nausea which is virtually gone! Have not noticed one side effect. Very satisfied

Related Reading: prilosec

Comment from: kpc105155-64on Treatment for 5-10 years Published: April 15

I chose difficult ease of use for this medication because it is DIFFICULT to pay for. Very expensive!

Comment from: 45-54on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: October 13

It worked as I had hoped, right from day one. I have had no side effects at all. My esophagus is back to normal. I watched my father die of esophageal cancer after having chewed and drank antacid tablets and syrup much of his adult life. I wonder if a drug like this might have saved him.

Related Reading: esophageal cancer

Comment from: Very concerned55-64on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: October 08

I was prescribed this medication for GERD and Barretts Esophagus and just had blood work done and my doctor after inquiring him to check my blood he called me and told me he was calling in Magnesium because mine was dangerously low. The muscle spasms and muscle soreness from this Dexilant were unbelievably unbearable. I decided to discontinue because the side effects outweigh the advantages of taking this product.

Related Reading: gerd | muscle spasms | dexilant

Comment from: Bob75 or overon Treatment for 2-5 years Published: May 02

Despite taking it every day according to instructions, I find I still get an "acid burn" almost every day.

Comment from: Cindy55-64on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: November 12

I have been on Dexilant for 6 months. It works well but you can tell if you missed a dose, as it quits working fast within that time frame the next day. My problem is I have noticed a significant weight gain the last month, especially in the abdomen area. I have two hernias in the area and weight gain is the last thing I need. Then this week, I noticed a weight jump again. I came her to check side effects and feel sad that sudden weight gain is one of them. It's a good medicine but keep check on the weight gain.

Related Reading: dexilant