Differin Gel .3

Comment from: Palms42, 19-24 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: May 29

I struggled with acne since around the age of 13. I was never concerned with it until my freshman year of college when I began experiencing horrible breakouts from stress. My acne became painful and it was the first time I felt embarrassed because of it. My dermatologist prescribed Differin. It's been five months and I couldn't tell you the last time I have had a breakout. The applied the Differin once a day at night and I experienced burning, peeling, and horrible breakouts the first month or so of using the product. My breakouts became so horrible, I was too embarrassed to leave the house at times. After the first month or so, my breakouts stopped and my face became less sensitive to the medicine. With trial and error, and a whole lot of burning and peeling, I learned this medication is a lot easier to handle when applied with moisturizer. If you can make it through the side effects, this product will change your skin for the better. I only use the product 2-3 times a week now and my face is always clear. Differin is absolutely a miracle acne treatment if you can bear the sensitivity, burning, and increased acne during the beginning of treatment.

Related Reading: acne | stress

Comment from: [email protected], 13-18 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: March 17

I started using Differin over a year ago, and it didn't do much for me. My doctor prescribed Epiduo for me almost a month ago, but because of the cost, I was unable to purchase it. Well, Epiduo is just Differin combined with 2.5% Benzoyl Peroxide. So, I went to a drug store and picked up "Neutrogena On the Spot Acne Treatment." It's the only Benzoyl Peroxide I've found that is 2.5%. The 2.5% works the same as the 5% or 10%, but without as much irritation and dryness. Your face WILL get dry after the 2nd or 3rd application, so you'll need to apply moisturizer. Here's what I do: I wash my face in the morning and put Cetaphil Moisturizer on after. It's fairly cheap for the amount of cream that you get. Any good moisturizer will work, though. Then at night, I apply the Differin, SPARINGLY; too much Differin can cause irritation. After the Differin has dried, I apply the Benzoyl Peroxide, also sparingly. This will clear your face up FAST. It works better than Differin or Benzoyl Peroxide alone. Just make SURE you moisturize. Your face will get dry if you don't. It works like a charm : ) If you have any questions, my Webmd screen name is my email address.

Related Reading: epiduo | acne

Comment from: toomanykids, 35-44 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: February 08

I have had acne since I was a teen and I'm in my 40's now. I've been on Differin for 6 months now. I've tried countless other medicatons that didn't work. At first this was too drying for my skin. It hurt to touch my skin the next day. I now only use it 2-3 times a week and I put on my moisturizer first, then the Differin. It works amazing. I think for those of you that are finding it to be too harsh on your skin maybe try the moisturizer first or not as frequently.

Comment from: NeelyK02, 19-24 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 19

cleared my acne up in less than 48hrs. The next morning you could hardly see anything, and the day after I had a clear complexion.

Comment from: Kim, 35-44 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: October 19

It takes a long time to see results with this medicine. The texture of my skin improved considerably, but it was not effective in treating my acne alone. I have to use it in conjunction with other acne treatment medicines.

Comment from: thatgirl, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: June 03

LOVE! I battled acne (and lost) for 10 years before going to the dermatologist. She prescribed me Differin along with Duac and together they are MIRACULOUS! For the first time in my adult life I have clear skin! Anyone with acne knows how much it can affect you and being free of the self consciousness and embarrassment is incredible. A few words of CAUTION - it did dry me out at first. Really bad. Like peeling from a sunburn level of dry. But it only lasted a few days and then my skin adjusted and I was fine. Don't do the "if a little is good then a whole bunch will be better" thing. Just use a small amount like they say, have some patience, and suck it up for a few days - it will get better! It did for me anyway. Everyone is different but based on my experience this stuff combined with Duac is a lifesaver! Quick story - my derm recommended several drug store brands for cleanser and moisturizer. I started with Neutrogena and had a nasty reaction - I was COVERED in little red bumps. I thought it might be one of the rx's so I went back to the derm. After some experimenting it turns out it was the cleanser. I switched to Aveeno and have been fine ever since. So if you, like me, start an entirely new regimen and have a reaction don't assume it is the rx. Had I done that I would have missed out on some awesome results. The only thing I am unhappy about is that I didn't start this years sooner!!!

Related Reading: duac | sunburn

Comment from: Hawkinsm3, 19-24 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 17

For a teenager, my skin has always been pretty good. But around March of this year I woke up with a horrible breakout. At one point some of it became infected. I went to the doctor and she gave me antibiotics for the infection and Differin for the acne. The antibiotics cleared up the infection in about a week. As for the Differin, well, it's been a bit of a journey. As expected, my acne got worse when I first started using it. Some redness, a bit of peeling. After about two months my skin became used to the product and I saw a slight improvement. However, about once a month a new zit will form. Differin will quickly get rid of the new zit, but it still hasn't cleared up the acne that popped up in March. Don't get me wrong, it has faded a bit, but I still don't have my old skin back. I've been using it for about 5 months now and I plan to keep using it because I feel it DOES work. However, it definitely takes time.

Related Reading: acne

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 14

I used this medication for only 2 weeks. My skin became very dry and it was extremely painful. I had to go back to the dermatologist for a new medication.

Comment from: number5, 19-24 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: September 30

I'm using this with tetracycline (oral pill). I have dry, flaky, acne-prone skin that inflames easily and the cream form of Differin doesn't dry it out too much as long as I use extra moisturizer on the place of application. I've been using it for about a year and it works great! My skin looks so much healthier, LESS red, and more even-toned than just tetracycline alone. At the beginning, it actually seemed to worsen (my doctor warned me about that though so I was prepared) and after about a month it all seemed to clear up overnight! and now I rarely get a pimple but when I do, I use Differin and it's usually gone that same day!

Related Reading: tetracycline

Comment from: Older-than-you-think, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: December 28

After only the first 2 weeks, I noticed a marked improvement. But I am also taking an oral antibiotic and another topical agent at the same time, so it is difficult to say which agent is working best. I have had some superficial peeling, but this washes away easily, without scrubbing. I have also noticed fading of several age spots. Hooray!

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 31

I have been on Differin for about 2 weeks now. I have just started to notice my moderate to severe whitehead starting to start to go away. I did go through about 2 or 3 days of dryness and irritation. But, that has stopped in the 2nd week. Now it seems it keeps moisture IN my skin which is a nice change from previous products. I hardly use moisturizer anymore. It's great One note: DO NOT WAX YOUR EYEBROWS on this medication. My skin under my eyebrows was ripped off and is currently healing. Get them threaded or plucked. FYI!!! Overall, so far it seems to be working. I will continue to use this product.

Comment from: MsShavone, 19-24 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: April 06

I was prescribed this medication by my dermatologists for my acne (in conjuction with Bactrim). It has been a miracle worker. My skin is clear and glowing and has been for the past year. I feel comfortable not wearing makeup and get compliments on my glowing sking all the time. If I feel a flare up happening, I immediately put this on at night and by morning, it's gone.

Related Reading: bactrim

Comment from: JNL, 19-24 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: October 15

I started using Differin 0.1% 7 months ago in conjunction with Benzaclin. I had cystic acne and tons of dark pigmented scars. My dermatologist told me it would take 12 months for my scars to disappear, but with the use of these two meds together, 2 months later, my skin is perfectly clear and free of scars! I don't have to wear makeup anymore. My skin is flawless and i get compliments all the time. So far it hasn't irritated my skin at all. Very satisfied.

Related Reading: benzaclin | scars

Comment from: cmf979, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: February 15

(A little background on my skin, I get a pimple here and there and overall have pretty normal skin) I saw a commercial for Differin and immediately went online to Target.com to buy it, I thought that the product sounded great for the price! After I purchased it I started looking into side effects and reviews on the product. They were pretty mixed with some people saying they loved it and others saying they hated it but the main thoughts were that it might make your breakouts worse for a few months then get better, and it can make your skin dry and sensitive. Well let me tell you I used this product as directed for 3 nights in a row and it gave me a chemical type burn on my face, my skin is flaking off and I am using a TON on moisturizer to try to keep it as hydrated as I can, and it hurts to even touch my face. And I don't mean like when your skin is dry type of flaking off, I mean like worse sun burn in your life type of flaking off. I also have a pretty high pain tolerance and anytime I touched my face, took my makeup off, put makeup on, or used my moisturizer it felt like 10,000 needles stabbing me in my face while getting burned by a hot iron. I have now stopped using the product and two days later my skin is still the same; flaking, red, and hurting like no other. Do NOT use this product unless you are ready for some serious pain and skin damage.

QUESTION

Acne is the result of an allergy. See Answer
Comment from: Kathryn, 35-44 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: December 10

I have been using Differn Gel for 15 years now. I had perfect skin in high school and started getting break outs in College. I am allergic to all over the counter drugs. It is not going to cure your acne overnight. This treatment is a gradual and continuous treatment. My skin has imporoved over time. For those who have dry skin, I would recommend a night cream and a oil, such as Tarte's Marajua oil or Argon oil. Also, keeping your skin hydrated keeps it from getting as many wrinkles. The HUGE plus to Differn is the long run health of your skin. I have been on it 15 years, as started above. I am 35 now and my skin looks WAAAAYYYY better than my friends. I seriously hardly have any lines and get mistaken for mid 20's all the time. I contribute it partly to the Differn. It has Retnoid in it which has prevented fine lines and wrinkles from forming and it is way, way easier to treat before rather than after.

Related Reading: acne | dry skin | wrinkles

Comment from: michele12, 35-44 on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: February 02

I've been using this product for about two years, my skin is much smoother and basically clear of pimples, however before my menstrual cycle starts I usually breakout and the differin gel does not help prevent them, and it's not good for spot treatments. Overall my acne is under control.

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: April 09

It has been about 8 weeks since I started using Differin at night in conjunction with another topical in the morning. If you use this medication, don't apply it anywhere near the crevices of your nose or anywhere near your mouth. If the gel gets too close to my lips the skin around them peals horribly and is very painful (using Vaseline helps to relieve it). My skin is clearing up, especially on my forehead where I get alot of smaller, more painful pimples. Unfortunately it does nothing for scars.

Related Reading: scars

Comment from: Barbara , 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: February 18

I'm 28 have been struggling with acne since I was 10. Never went to dermatologist, for a while birth control pills worked but not anymore. I started getting Huge puffy pimples between my cheeks and my ears and a lot of scaring, had enough, it's really starting to affect my self esteem not to mention that my face is always dry and the make up doesn't blend, my skin gets itchy, just horrible. my doctor prescribed differin. Have been using for a week, started in the middle of a cold and extremely cold weather. It has been terrible. Burning sensation, peeling, redness, more pimples... Looking forward for the time to go by to see if it really works! Just so tired of this acne :(

Comment from: flowergirl03, 35-44 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: July 03

I never had acne as a teen, however in my 20's, I was so embarrassed to have full-on break outs. This medicine works. It does take awhile, maybe up to 8 weeks to see any improvement, but it does happen. Now that I'm in my late 30's it's still a part of my daily routine. My only complaint is that our new insurance company does not cover it, so I have to pay out of pocket. At 200.00 a tube, I use it sparingly, believe me. I hope one day it can be sold over the counter.

Comment from: Okiemom, 7-12 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: March 26

My 12 year old son has horrible acne from face down his back, our dermatologist recommended doxy and differin even after my protest in using retinol so strong on a child she assured me it would be fine , now 21 days in his acne is way worse and his skin in now breaking and bleeding in places , dispite twice daily moisturizer from the start, I watch him apply it so I'm positive it's not applying to much. This one isn't worth it for him

Comment from: Annoyed, 13-18 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: September 21

I have been using Differin for 6 years. I am allergic to Benzoyl Peroxide, so my dermatologists have all recommended using Differin as a spot treatment instead. My skin is VERY sensitive and I have eczema on my cheeks. Differin has never irritated my skin, but at the same time, has literally done nothing to clear it up. I started using using it in 6th grade when I had pimples just on my nose and cheeks, never anything that bad. Now, as a senior in high school, I still use Differin (under the order of my dermatologist). My face is moderately bad, my cheeks and nose are covered in black heads, and my forehead and jaw have larger pimples. My chest & my back, though, are the worst (I am also ordered to put Differin on these areas), with large pimples covering my upper back, lower back, and shoulders, and my whole chest. Differin has never done anything to clear any of my effected areas, yet, I have been told by every dermatologist I have gone to, to keep using it. It surprisingly doesn't irritate my skin, but, I have become increasingly sensitive to the sun as a result of using Differin for so long. I would highly recommend saving your money and time because for me, Differin has literally done nothing to prevent/cure my acne, which over time has become increasingly severe.

Related Reading: eczema

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 25

I have been on Differin for six weeks. I apply it at night time and use it in conjunction with topical Duac and Nicomide the vitamin. I feel like among the three prescrptions the Differin is the best at preventing future breakouts. I broke out a lot when I started taking it and now I am finally getting the clear skin I was looking for. It just had to fix all the clogged pores under my skin. So I give it a thumbs up.

Related Reading: duac

Comment from: Julienne K, 19-24 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 14

I am 23 years old and have never experienced acne besides just recently, so I decided to try differin since it was advertised to be specifically for adult acne. I have been using it for 2 weeks and have decided to stop effective immediately. The product does say on the warning label that it may not work for a few months or that it may cause acne to worsen but no where does it say the pain you may experience. My face physically hurts to the touch. It hurts to wrinkle my forehead.... it burns to wash off my makeup. Not to mention that my face is peeling like I have a terrible sunburn. I guess I accidentally got the cleanser on my lips one day and the skin on my lips started to burn and peel off. I would not recommend this product at all. The side effects are no where near minor or manageable.

Related Reading: acne | burns | sunburn

Comment from: Cktyson12, 25-34 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: April 04

I started using Differing when I was 15. I prefer the cream over the gel. I am now 30 and it remains the only acne medication that works for me. Yes, in the beginning you may experience dryness and/or redness, but it does subside. When I switched insurance companies it was no longer covered so I went about a few months without being to use the medicine everyday. It was noticeable. It is worth paying $200 plus for the Differen, but I have to use it sparingly.

Comment from: DuckFace, 19-24 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: March 26

It's most effective treatment. It does get worse after some time of use (and that's how medicine works) but later it get's only better

Skin Health: 15 Tips for Clear Skin See Slideshow