Dilantin Kapseals

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 5-10 years Published: September 07

This has kept my husband seizure free for 6 1/2 years so far but we found out that the generic drug to this does not stay in his system for some reason so he has to have name brand only.

Related Reading: seizure

Comment from: Kari, 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: August 30

I have a seizure disorder due to a stroke in 2004. I have been taking 400 mg a day since then. The seizures seem to be under control unless I am under extra stress. I don't know if my short term memory loss is because of the stroke or the meds. I have a lot of joint pain, but all of this is so much better than having the seizures. I am still not allowed to drive. I also have headaches from this.

Related Reading: stroke | stress

Comment from: 25-34 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: December 06

Ever since I started taking this medication I have been seizure free. The only side effects I suffer from is insomnia.

Related Reading: insomnia

Comment from: lilyann, 45-54 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: September 09

I have been taking Dilantin since I had my first seizure 30 years ago. The generic does not work well for me and my doctor won't prescribe it for any of her patients. Unfortunately, my ins will only pay for the generic. But the 70.00 a month is a small price to pay for no seizures. I have had two healthy children,(now grown)neither with problems. I have taken Dilantin and Phenobarbitol for 30 yrs and added Zonegran for the last 8. When my original neuro retired, I went to a new one that decided that I took "dinosaur meds" and wanted me to get current. Even though I had been seizure free for years. Needless to say, I lost a month of my life having numerous grand mals a day until my husband took me to a new neuro that got me back on the original meds. I have some issues with my gums and my memory lately, but again, it is a small price to pay to be able to live my life and enjoy my family!!!!

Related Reading: dilantin | zonegran

Comment from: Ally, 25-34 on Treatment for 10+ years Published: August 05

I've been taking dilantin for the past 12 yrs. I had always taken the brand name Pfizer and recently my Dr. prescribed another brand that's not Pfizer. Immediately I started to notice that my gums were bleeding excessively at night and I have a hard time sleeping at night. This would never happen to me when I took the brand Pfizer. Has this ever happened to anyone else?

Related Reading: dilantin

Comment from: Butterflyangel, 55-64 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: July 23

I have taken this medication along with phenobarbital for a little over 40 yrs. It is taken for Grand Mal seizures. I have been seizure free for almost 20 yrs now. It works.....with one BIG problem! I have developed nueropathy as a result of that long term use. And that...is something else I will have to live with.

Related Reading: phenobarbital

Comment from: stpete, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: October 28

Dilantin works great for me. But the generic will not. Nobody knows why.

Comment from: tobagotim, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: March 24

I have been taking Dilantin or a combination of Dilantin and Phenobarbitol for about 55 years. My seizures have been gran mal followed by a sleep period of several hours. I am fortuante that the seizures came about one every 3 years. The last one over 35 years ago. The last seizure that I had followed a neurologist's attempt to reduce my dosage. My family doctor noted that my dosage had fallen out of the the therapuetic zone. I have not had a seizure in 25 years now that the medicine is in the therapuetic zone. I have been asked again if I would like to reduce the dosage. I grew up with this medicine in my system and am comfortable with it; I would rather continue taking it the rest of my life than risk any more gran mal seizures. The main thing for me are regular blood tests to make sure the medication remains at the correct levels.

Comment from: 45-54 Female on Treatment for 10+ years Published: February 25

Seizure free for over 15 years. The new color capsule has given me a unexplaned rash as well

Related Reading: seizure | rash

Comment from: [email protected], 55-64 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: January 16

I have taken Dilantin for 6 years with good results. However, recently (in the past month) something has changed about the 100 mg caps other than just the appearance. It not only looks different, but I now have a rash that I csnnot get rid of.

Related Reading: dilantin

Comment from: Pete, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: June 18

Have taken it satisfactorily for 20 years. However the generic does not work for me. Only the Dilantin brand does.

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: May 04

I've taken Dilantin for the better part of 13 yrs. Sometimes I switched to a generic, but I had breakthrough seizures so I switched back. I am generally satisfied with Dilantin, excpet for the memory issues and puffy gums. My doctor increased my dose from 300mg/day to 400mg/day and I noticed a big decline in energy level and memory retention. Body hair growth has been my biggest self-esteem issue with this drug.

Comment from: T and J, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: February 17

This is the third medication my husband has tried. He had one seizure. He started on Keppra and had psychological side effects. Same thing with Topamax. He's only been on Dilantin for three days but it makes hime extremely tired, light headed, and his face tingles sometimes. He really wants to try to make this work but he's supposed to be at 300mg/day and can't even tolerate 100mg/day. He really wants to know how long other people have taken to acclimate to these drugs. It affects his work and this frustrates him.

Related Reading: seizure | keppra | topamax

Comment from: Luke, 25-34 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: September 20

I began having seizures at 24 with no "reason." Dilantin has been my primary anti-seizure med for 9 years now and I only have seizures when I take the generic version or skip multiple doses. I also have problems sleeping and memory issues, I still can not drive, but have ahd 2 healthy sons and am living a "regular" life.

Comment from: scout6640, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: June 21

Can mental trauma be severe enough to cause a neurological change? I began taking Dilantin in 1989. I ve been taking it for almost 20 years. Back in 1989 after a stressful but injury free car accident I suffered a mild seizure. I was taken to the local ER and given Dilantin. I took it for 3 years and didn't have any more seizures. Then I went off it when I went to college and for about a year I was fine. I had two other seizures in college. They were both at times when I was severely run down and was not taking my meds regularly. After the last seizure in 2005 I realized my life style had to change and I had to take the medication religiously. Ever since I have been seizure free with a low dose of 400mg daily. For me side/fx are extra body hair(I never had any) and my gums bleed easily. I'm curious to know if prolonged Dilantin use has any link to low sex drive or short term memory loss or any other health risks?

Comment from: 65-74 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: December 14

I have taken Dilantin for 20 years. The only seizure that happened during that period came during a brief two week period when I decided I didn't need the drug. That occurred about 15 years ago.

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 08

Still ajusting doseage up at this time.

Comment from: cool, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: November 16

25 year user. almost 100% effective.

Comment from: nanafaith, 35-44 on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: July 23

my husband has been on this medicine almost four years,he still continues to have grand-mal seizures,more often and longer.His museles and bones ache and his gums and teeth alway's hurt.

Comment from: rec24, 25-34 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: September 25

I have complex partial seizures in my left temporal lobe. Phenytoin(dilantin)has worked great for me! I take 300 mgs. a day. I never got the side effects and I've been seizure free for 5 years.

Related Reading: phenytoin | dilantin | seizure

Published: July 19

good

Comment from: snzzer, 55-64 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: September 10

I have been taking Dilantin for 45 years now and didn't have any problem's. I had two seizures in 2000. The blood test showed that I had no dilantin in my system, but I was taking it faithfully. I was also taking St. Johns Wart vitamin and it cleaned out my system, lol. I quit the vitamin and I have been siezure free since.

Related Reading: dilantin

Comment from: DJH, 19-24 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 31

Well as far as me not having a seizure is concerned I dont have any, but this stuff at 6am causes me to wake up have nausea that even satan would hate. Also, vomit anything I ate the night before thats left in my stomache. Its pretty much a double edge sword.

Comment from: JSG715, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: August 08

I have taken Dilantin since about 12 years old now 45 for Petit Mal. When I was first put on meds I had 2 others meds with this one that my first Nuerologist prescribed Phenibaritol and Zarontin. This mix did not totally help and at age 17 the doctor said this is the best thing for you as others in your family it has worked for and can you live with out driving (As I was not totally controlled). When he said this that was the last time I saw him as I could not live where I could not drive. I went to my current Nuerologist he took me off both Zarontin and Phenobaritol nd place me on Depakote with Dilantin. Since then I have been successful on occassion blood levels have changed and I had side effects but I've been seizure free for several years.

Related Reading: zarontin | depakote

Comment from: spikli, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: July 04

my arms easily bruise on the surface

FDA Logo