Dilantin Kapseals

Comment from: 35-44on Treatment for 5-10 years Published: September 07

This has kept my husband seizure free for 6 1/2 years so far but we found out that the generic drug to this does not stay in his system for some reason so he has to have name brand only.

Comment from: Kari45-54on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: August 30

I have a seizure disorder due to a stroke in 2004. I have been taking 400 mg a day since then. The seizures seem to be under control unless I am under extra stress. I don't know if my short term memory loss is because of the stroke or the meds. I have a lot of joint pain, but all of this is so much better than having the seizures. I am still not allowed to drive. I also have headaches from this.

Comment from: 25-34on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: December 06

Ever since I started taking this medication I have been seizure free. The only side effects I suffer from is insomnia.

Comment from: stpete65-71on Treatment for 10+ years Published: October 28

Dilantin works great for me. But the generic will not. Nobody knows why.

Comment from: lilyann45-54on Treatment for 10+ years Published: September 09

I have been taking Dilantin since I had my first seizure 30 years ago. The generic does not work well for me and my doctor won't prescribe it for any of her patients. Unfortunately, my ins will only pay for the generic. But the 70.00 a month is a small price to pay for no seizures. I have had two healthy children,(now grown)neither with problems. I have taken Dilantin and Phenobarbitol for 30 yrs and added Zonegran for the last 8. When my original neuro retired, I went to a new one that decided that I took "dinosaur meds" and wanted me to get current. Even though I had been seizure free for years. Needless to say, I lost a month of my life having numerous grand mals a day until my husband took me to a new neuro that got me back on the original meds. I have some issues with my gums and my memory lately, but again, it is a small price to pay to be able to live my life and enjoy my family!!!!

Comment from: Ally25-34on Treatment for 10+ years Published: August 05

I've been taking dilantin for the past 12 yrs. I had always taken the brand name Pfizer and recently my Dr. prescribed another brand that's not Pfizer. Immediately I started to notice that my gums were bleeding excessively at night and I have a hard time sleeping at night. This would never happen to me when I took the brand Pfizer. Has this ever happened to anyone else?

Comment from: Butterflyangel55-64on Treatment for 10+ years Published: July 23

I have taken this medication along with phenobarbital for a little over 40 yrs. It is taken for Grand Mal seizures. I have been seizure free for almost 20 yrs now. It works.....with one BIG problem! I have developed nueropathy as a result of that long term use. And that...is something else I will have to live with.

Comment from: tobagotim65-71on Treatment for 10+ years Published: March 24

I have been taking Dilantin or a combination of Dilantin and Phenobarbitol for about 55 years. My seizures have been gran mal followed by a sleep period of several hours. I am fortuante that the seizures came about one every 3 years. The last one over 35 years ago. The last seizure that I had followed a neurologist's attempt to reduce my dosage. My family doctor noted that my dosage had fallen out of the the therapuetic zone. I have not had a seizure in 25 years now that the medicine is in the therapuetic zone. I have been asked again if I would like to reduce the dosage. I grew up with this medicine in my system and am comfortable with it; I would rather continue taking it the rest of my life than risk any more gran mal seizures. The main thing for me are regular blood tests to make sure the medication remains at the correct levels.

Comment from: 45-54on Treatment for 10+ years Published: February 25

Seizure free for over 15 years. The new color capsule has given me a unexplaned rash as well

Comment from: Pete65-71on Treatment for 10+ years Published: June 18

Have taken it satisfactorily for 20 years. However the generic does not work for me. Only the Dilantin brand does.

Comment from: 25-34on Treatment for 10+ years Published: May 04

I've taken Dilantin for the better part of 13 yrs. Sometimes I switched to a generic, but I had breakthrough seizures so I switched back. I am generally satisfied with Dilantin, excpet for the memory issues and puffy gums. My doctor increased my dose from 300mg/day to 400mg/day and I noticed a big decline in energy level and memory retention. Body hair growth has been my biggest self-esteem issue with this drug.

Comment from: T and J35-44on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: February 17

This is the third medication my husband has tried. He had one seizure. He started on Keppra and had psychological side effects. Same thing with Topamax. He's only been on Dilantin for three days but it makes hime extremely tired, light headed, and his face tingles sometimes. He really wants to try to make this work but he's supposed to be at 300mg/day and can't even tolerate 100mg/day. He really wants to know how long other people have taken to acclimate to these drugs. It affects his work and this frustrates him.

Comment from: Luke25-34on Treatment for 5-10 years Published: September 20

I began having seizures at 24 with no "reason." Dilantin has been my primary anti-seizure med for 9 years now and I only have seizures when I take the generic version or skip multiple doses. I also have problems sleeping and memory issues, I still can not drive, but have ahd 2 healthy sons and am living a "regular" life.

Comment from: scout664035-44on Treatment for 10+ years Published: June 21

Can mental trauma be severe enough to cause a neurological change? I began taking Dilantin in 1989. I ve been taking it for almost 20 years. Back in 1989 after a stressful but injury free car accident I suffered a mild seizure. I was taken to the local ER and given Dilantin. I took it for 3 years and didn't have any more seizures. Then I went off it when I went to college and for about a year I was fine. I had two other seizures in college. They were both at times when I was severely run down and was not taking my meds regularly. After the last seizure in 2005 I realized my life style had to change and I had to take the medication religiously. Ever since I have been seizure free with a low dose of 400mg daily. For me side/fx are extra body hair(I never had any) and my gums bleed easily. I'm curious to know if prolonged Dilantin use has any link to low sex drive or short term memory loss or any other health risks?

Comment from: 65-71on Treatment for 10+ years Published: December 14

I have taken Dilantin for 20 years. The only seizure that happened during that period came during a brief two week period when I decided I didn't need the drug. That occurred about 15 years ago.

Comment from: 55-64on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: December 08

Still ajusting doseage up at this time.

Published: July 19

good

Comment from: cool55-64on Treatment for 10+ years Published: November 16

25 year user. almost 100% effective.

Comment from: nanafaith35-44on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: July 23

my husband has been on this medicine almost four years,he still continues to have grand-mal seizures,more often and longer.His museles and bones ache and his gums and teeth alway's hurt.

Comment from: rec2425-34on Treatment for 5-10 years Published: September 25

I have complex partial seizures in my left temporal lobe. Phenytoin(dilantin)has worked great for me! I take 300 mgs. a day. I never got the side effects and I've been seizure free for 5 years.

Comment from: snzzer55-64on Treatment for 10+ years Published: September 10

I have been taking Dilantin for 45 years now and didn't have any problem's. I had two seizures in 2000. The blood test showed that I had no dilantin in my system, but I was taking it faithfully. I was also taking St. Johns Wart vitamin and it cleaned out my system, lol. I quit the vitamin and I have been siezure free since.

Comment from: DJH19-24on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: December 31

Well as far as me not having a seizure is concerned I dont have any, but this stuff at 6am causes me to wake up have nausea that even satan would hate. Also, vomit anything I ate the night before thats left in my stomache. Its pretty much a double edge sword.

Comment from: JSG71545-54on Treatment for 10+ years Published: August 08

I have taken Dilantin since about 12 years old now 45 for Petit Mal. When I was first put on meds I had 2 others meds with this one that my first Nuerologist prescribed Phenibaritol and Zarontin. This mix did not totally help and at age 17 the doctor said this is the best thing for you as others in your family it has worked for and can you live with out driving (As I was not totally controlled). When he said this that was the last time I saw him as I could not live where I could not drive. I went to my current Nuerologist he took me off both Zarontin and Phenobaritol nd place me on Depakote with Dilantin. Since then I have been successful on occassion blood levels have changed and I had side effects but I've been seizure free for several years.

Comment from: spikli45-54on Treatment for 10+ years Published: July 04

my arms easily bruise on the surface

Comment from: lmh25-34on Treatment for 10+ years Published: January 24

I was taking Dilantin for many years, mostly because it was cheap, and pretty afective. I was tired all the time, and my gums did get pretty bad. My neurologist now tells me that he hasn't prescribed this for years, especially to women. Ive also been told its very bad for your bones. I also took the generic, and it wasn't as affective. I think this drug is alright for short term use, but after years of use, its not very good for you

IMAGES

See Images
Published: January 14

I have been on dilantin for five days. The Dr prescribed me 900mg a day. The first day I started taking it I had to go back to the er. After that, few days later,I started getting a tingling sensation left side of my head and arm, lost balance and temporary memory lost. Skin started turning yellow and tinling in my head increased along with passing out. I fell countless times. Dilantin levels were really high.

Comment from: wityiam35-44on Treatment for 10+ years Published: December 26

I have been on this for almost 40 yrs. I have the gum issues, memory issues and behavoir issues. I also have an insecure issue with myself.

Comment from: dollas0825-34on Treatment for 5-10 years Published: December 20

I have been on Dilantin for almost 8 years now. It works great for me when I take it. Only seiure I have had on it was when I didnt take it for a while since I couldnt afford it. My most common side effects with it are getting dizzy real easy, dry mouth, acne, and bleeding gums. Lately my teeth have been getting bad and I'm starting to forget things I used to know and do on a regular basis which greatly affects my job. My doc recenly bumped my level up from 200 to 300 mg/day at night since my level is never accurate or coherent with every test. I am still able to drive. Any one else having any similar effects?

Comment from: jb35-44on Treatment for 10+ years Published: December 19

yes, dilantin does help but at that time of the month i feel as if i am still going to have a seizure. I notice I am so tired on this medication and also my gums hurt at times. I have been on it 20 years and wish I could get off it as it has caused me acne and cysts.

Comment from: 45-54on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: November 17

my eye sight has changed since I have been on dilantin I never had a problem with my long vision and now i do. I do not know if this is effecting my vision but I was told by my pain management doctor that it could affect my vision.

Comment from: [email protected] Treatment for less than 1 month Published: January 21

was told by doctor to take 3 100mg tabs at night . took as prescribed . It wired me and made me dizzy . Insomnia has been a reaction w/irregular heartbeat . Should'nt It be 1-3X/day ? , just to keep it consistant in my system ?

Comment from: hkic155-64on Treatment for 10+ years Published: February 09

I have been on this medication since I was 13 years old as I was diagnosed with epilepsy at 10 and have been on phenobarbital 3 times daily and Dilantin the same and when it came me to drive at 14 my Dr. tried Diamox 250 twice a day and that seemed to keep me seizure free and I have driven since I was 15 and am now 55. I have only had 1 seizure due to missing my Diamox so I very good about taking my meds and seeing my doctor yearly as he is very happy with my status. I wished many of you could be seizure free.

Comment from: carmah75 or overon Treatment for 10+ years Published: October 27

I had vertigo and could not walk.i

Comment from: tges55-64on Treatment for 10+ years Published: October 18

Due to the fluctuation in levels I am on a alternating odd day/even day dosing which at times can be confusing but does help me from having any toxic side effects.

Comment from: 35-44on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: January 09

This is the only anti-convulsant that I have been on that has limited the number of epileptic episodes along with the Vagal Nerve Stimulator that was placed one and a half years ago.

Comment from: 45-54on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: October 14

seems to do the job but the generic form does not no seizures from the time of change to name brand from generic

Comment from: 25-34on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: August 01

overall this medication has worked well for me. I have taken it for 3 yrs now the only problem I have is some of the side affects are begining to have an impact on me. All in all the medication outweighs the side affects.

Comment from: Greg35-44on Treatment for 10+ years Published: June 03

I have been on this drug since the onset of my seizure disorder 30 years ago. For the most part, I have found it to be an effect medication, although I started having break though seizures about 10 years ago, resulting in my having to take Lamictal as a supplement. Fortunately, bleeding of the gums has been very minimumal at best, but I have noticed an increase of being tired and/or sluggish. (This could very well be the result of taking both medications, however.)

Comment from: 35-44on Treatment for 10+ years Published: April 27

He tomado esta medicina por casi ten years y a sido muy efectiva, pero desde el prinsipio me ha echo sentir cansada y para sentirme bien durante el dia tengo que dormir 10 horas diarias.

Comment from: Taz35-44on Treatment for 10+ years Published: March 31

I have been using dilantin for 10 plus years and the problem I have found with the use of dilantin is the excellarated growth of my gums and the deterioation of my teeth.

Comment from: 35-44on Treatment for 10+ years Published: January 27

have been on dilantin for 13 years. want to know long term side effects from it

Comment from: Jeremy25-34on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: January 27

Comment from: capecodder45-54on Treatment for 10+ years Published: December 03

I have been on Dilantin for more than 30 years. It has worked well for me with a few side effects such as bleeding gums occasionally.I also have to take Keppra as well. I have tried the generic brand at least 4 times and it has never worked for me. I question why the generic won't work.

Comment from: [email protected] Treatment for 2-5 years Published: December 01

MY PATIENT HAS HAD SUPER RESULTS WITH SEIZURE CONTROL . I have some questions regarding severe skn condition with large pustules that break and bleed ,and with gum overgrowth. HELP!

Comment from: 35-44on Treatment for 10+ years Published: October 29

I've been taking Dilantin for 26 years and the long term side effects take a toll on your brain. However the first few years this drug worked for me. This is not a drug I suggest even think of taking. If I new about the long term effects I would have never taken this drug in the first place. ij

Comment from: atrain125-34on Treatment for 5-10 years Published: October 13

i have had no seizures in 8 years- i think it makes me tired and effects brain quickness. i always know that i have some seizure activity that my body and pills are trying to fight off.

Comment from: meme55-64on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: August 04

When I was a child I had convulsive seizures, then they started again as adult. I do belive that each was cause by a blow to the head. My doctor says that I may have to take this drug for the rest of my life so I don't have another seizure. He tried ofter drugs but they did not work for me. They made me fill like I was drunk and I couldn't go about my daily life while taking any of them.

Comment from: kelli45-54on Treatment for 10+ years Published: March 16

I have a seizure disorder; not epilepsy. I am 50 years old and have taken this drug since I was 10 years old. I have been seizure free...during a small time frame, I had a few seizures. The dr's. never could figure out why; I only have had seizures when I am in bed asleep; never in the day. I tried to go off of the meds when I wanted to get preg; had more seizures and went back on it and adopted. This is a staple in my life; I have taken it every single night.

Comment from: Teresa25-34on Treatment for 10+ years Published: January 21

I even had 3 beautiful, perfect, and normal boys!! What blessings my children have been!!

QUESTION

If you have had a seizure, it means you have epilepsy. See Answer

From WebMD Logo