Dolophine

Comment from: gomeril, 45-54 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: April 03

Despite 5 surgeries and countless "injection treatments," I continue to experience severe neck pain. For the first 10 years, I resisted the use of any opiods until I was totally exhausted and no longer tough enough to "grin and bear it." Of course, my pain treatment did not begin with Methadone and it wasn't until Oxycontin was no longer effective that Methadone was even suggested. Although I continue to seek and pray for non-drug alternatives to managing my pain, aside from the frustrating weight-gain, Methadone seems to have fewer side effects than other opioid. For example, at the prescribed dose I've never found it to be significantly mind-altering, which is a tremendous blessing for those of us who still need/want to have our wits about us. In fact, if it is mind-altering, it's most commonly the result of over-usage. I have also found that on those "mysterious" days when I have little or no pain, I can freely skip it without adverse reactions. I have recently enjoyed long-term, measurable decreases in my pain level from Radio-Frequency Nerve Ablations. During the 12-16 months it takes for the nerves to regenerate, I find I can reduce my methadone use by about 30% and I never have any difficulty with abruptly reducing my dosage. Additionally, I have never required an increased dosage, something I cannot claim with any other opioid. Since Methadone was originally developed for the treatment of pain, it's unfortunate it's become stigmatized by it's use in treating heroin addicts. That stigma is often projected onto pain patients, which just adds insult to our injuries. However, the superior effectiveness of Methadone, combined with it's more tolerable side-effects makes it a valuable component in the management of long-term pain. For the sake of everyone with chronic pain who can benefit from Methadone, I'll continue to pray it's reputation as a safe & effective pain management medication is eventually restored.

Related Reading: neck pain | oxycontin | chronic pain

Comment from: Back Hertz, 25-34 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: June 02

I was prescribed the drug 2 years after a major spine surgery involving a disc removal. It changed my life, I was relatively pain free for the first time in 2+ years. The pain clinic was later closed. My new pain doc doesn't beleive in prescribing methadone(damn the stigma). I'm now using vicodin at a ridiculous dose and am high all the time(which I hate). My new meds don't lessen the pain but make it a bit easier to live with. I miss methadone for all the right reasons. For me hands down the best/longest lasting pain med on the market and I have tried them all.

Related Reading: vicodin

Comment from: Jim, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: December 12

I just wanted to state that I am tired of people bashing methadone. I have had arthritis (AS) since the age of 17. When I was introduced to methadone 4 years ago by an orthopedic surgeon it is the first time in my life I had true relief from the continuous pain being inflicted on me. If people are dying it is because they are not following their doctors directions or they are abusing the drug. I am so tire of seeing the DEA take liberties by suppressing the use of the 40 mg tablets due to peoples stupid, half-witted, actions. Please don't get me wrong I don't like seeing people die from overdosing, but they are doing it to themselves. Every person knows AND I MEAN KNOWS that they should not take something that wasn't prescribed to them, yet people continue on this trend. I don't know the solution to the problem, but preventing people who treat the drug with the utmost respect that it deserves from taking it to receive relief from severe and deafing pain is not the solution either. It is unfortunate that people haven't learned how extremely dangerous it is to try and take a drug like methadone to get high when you can't get high on the drug to begin with. It only relieves pain for people that have pain. All it will do for someone that doesn't have pain is kill them or put them in a coma. To any one who plans on trying this drug to get high on please don't. Smoke some grass if you want to get high. Don't kill yourself and cause people like myself and others that suffer from diseases and accidents from getting the relief we need. Thank You Jim

Related Reading: arthritis | coma

Comment from: fatcat, 25-34 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: September 30

This is the only long -lasting pain medication that has worked for my severe chronic pain and small nerve neuropathy. In my opinion it out lasts any other pain medication that is on the market even newly approved medication by the FDA.

Comment from: 55-64 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: November 14

After 5 years of intense pain due to chronic pancreatitus my dr prescribed methadone which has given me a new lease on life. Although before high doses of morphine or oxycontin had little effect when I started taking the methadone I was a close to painfree as I have been since this all started. I realize that it is very addicting and the withdrawel horrendous but the chance to live a semi normal life now is worth anything I might have to face later. It is not always easy to fill the rx and they treat you badly when they see what it is for but it is a shame more drs. and the medical care in general do not understand pain and what it can do to your life.

Related Reading: morphine | oxycontin

Comment from: garfieldusa, 45-54 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: April 09

I have been in chronic pain fro 15 years. Did all the lower pain drugs then moved up to Oxycontin and pain patch. It wasn't until my doctor switched me to Methadone that I actually found some relief. Now he is on the "no more Methadone" band wagon because of all the bad press. He is tapering me down gradually. Now I am at a point that I never feel like my pain is controlled like I did before. My pain is constant yet he is talking about lowering it again when I see him next time. I feel so stuck and upset! I have don't know what to do and I don't want to go back to the life I had before which was NO life at all!! These doctors are going too far and we have to go to pain management doctors yet they no longer want to actually treat pain.

Related Reading: chronic pain | oxycontin | pain management

Comment from: ROK, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: March 21

I gave this med 5 stars, but I want off of it. I've been on 100mgs for over 6 years working up to that dose from 10mgs. I started to reduce my dosage and got down to 20 mgs. I hit the bottom rung and my pain level went sky high. Well I really had a hard time with my neck pain at 40mgs, but wanted off of this drug. I contribute my Gallbladder problems and my bad teeth on this drug. My PCD wants me to stay on this drug and to up my dose to where it "Masks" the pain again. I asked for something else to control my pain, but he said this is about the best there is. I tried all the other stuff, I even became "addicted" to Oxycontin and other narcotic pain relievers. I also used Morphine for breakthrough pain, but weaned myself off of it without my Dr knowing it. I just want to live narcotic free, but don't think that's possible. Sometimes I wish I could close my eyes and never wake up, but I know that's not possible at this time. That's my experience with this drug, oh that and trying to get it refilled is a PITA!!!!!!!!

Related Reading: neck pain | morphine

Comment from: cjv, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: January 30

I have take Methadone for chronic back pain. I was on oxy-contin, but really became too fond of the way it made me feel. My dosage has increased regularly over the years, which my doctor says is common w/ opiates. I am on 220mgs daily, divided into 3 doses. It can be difficult fulfill Rx's, not every pharmacy carries much of it. I have had to be without it for a day or two, and by the 2nd day the withdrawl starts & you feel quite bad. But this is the best solution, considering the pain I was in & the depression that comes w/ it, left me unable to function. I don't feel like I took anything at all as far as euphoria goes so I feel safer on it. I do become more tired than usual. I recommend this drug highly.

Related Reading: depression

Comment from: Jamie, 55-64 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 28

I have incredible pain from degen. disk, worsening arthritis in both hips, extreme arthritis in rt. shoulder, entire arm, wrist & hand (all had severe injuries in the past) I went up the ladder of pain meds to Morphine, and the pain was still enough to keep me exhausted, really lacking motivation, & flat in bed several days a month at least. Recent change to Methadone/Dolophine has given me a new lease on life! MUCH more effective pain management, and gone is the relentless exhaustion. I am sleeping better at night, more active and motivated in the day, and enjoying substantial reduction in pain. No (bad) side-effects at all. Bottom line, I guess, is that I have renewed interest in Life!!

Related Reading: arthritis | dolophine

Comment from: willum, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: May 16

I have had severe pain after neuro surgery 14 years ago. I was given Oromorph ( morphine liquid )which increased over the years to over 300mg a day! I had to get off it as it runs your life and you become dependant rapidly. It is a horrible drug to get off. I went to Methadone and take a relatively small liquid dose once a day. It is just remarkeable! No feeling of being drugged, it stops the pain and I feel so much better. I thank God for this as by now I am sure I would have ended my life. My thoughts are that the people that have problems with it tend to abuse it. If this is the point then you should see a pain specialist and re-evaluate you.

Related Reading: morphine

Comment from: [email protected], 55-64 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: February 11

My pain is excriciating;I have degenerative disk disease RA-OA a herniated disk on sciatic nerve I have 18 & still counting broken crushed fractured bones my pain seems insufferable and I cannot say I haven't prayed not to wake another day. If not for Dolophine perhaps I would not be here it saved my life!

Addicted to Pills: The Health Risks of Drug Abuse See Slideshow
Comment from: helpoffmeth727, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: February 16

I went from vicodin to fentynal patch At first euphoric relief. after 8 months needed to go from .25 to .50 Doctor suggested that alternate between fentanyl patch and methadone as to not build tolorance and neding to up dosages. All I can say is both will turn you into a addict. Run out of either and you will want to die. I have been searching site for the how to get off. Noewhere to be found. I know getting off will mean pain. Both will ruin your teeth and I have found that it will kill your sex drive by lowering testosterone levels.These drugs would be wonderful if you could stop them. Unlike cigerettes instead of feeling anxious you will feel like the worst flu of your life. its like being tortured.If anyone has gone through getting off let me know

Related Reading: vicodin | testosterone | flu

Comment from: 35-44 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: November 12

having a high tolerance, the medication was perfect. I had tried vicoden even in it's 10mg form and i'd have swallow 3 to 4 at a time every 4-6 hours. That's a lot of pills. With dolophine i did'nt recieve a narcotic type lull. I was able to preform all of my duties and sleep exceptionaly well.

Related Reading: dolophine

Comment from: equilibrium, 25-34 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: May 13

This medication is much better than the Dilaudid and Fentanyl I was taking as it brings me back down to earth, where the other medications were less effective with more psychological side effects. Thi medicine really works well for pain all around, without the narcotic shock instances of other opiods for pain

Related Reading: dilaudid | shock

Comment from: pinkhammer, 65-74 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 04

When I sit still or lay down i go to sleep even though that was not the intent. I just want to rest. caught myself on the edge of sleep in church, No appetite,occasionally feel a bit disoriented. Best not to drive the first week of taking as did not been entirely cognizant at every moment. However, the pain is 100 percent better then the morphine 30mg

Related Reading: morphine

Comment from: 45-54 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: October 28

i have been rear-ended while driving too many times to count. my spine is damaged & degen from top to bottom. i was given everything from naprosyn to a combo of 200mg ultram & 3200mg vioxx daily for about 2-3 years. with methadone i can function again, after 5 years of use i am addicted to the same 10mg as when i started. on days when the pain intensifies i will take up to 30mg (but, will avoid driving). i never have stomach problems due to usage, i have not become a "junkie" and can in fact function at a high level of competency. if i have to take up to 30mg for a couple of days, i will decrease the dosage over a 3 day period. common sense? this medication is for me, a blessing.

Related Reading: naprosyn | ultram | vioxx

Comment from: Mark, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: May 28

I have had chronic pancreatitis for close to 8 yrs and have been on methadone for as long. For long term pain relief it has worked well, having to change doses as needed.

Related Reading: pancreatitis

Comment from: methadone, 75 or over on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 31

wish it too away all my pain

Comment from: [email protected], 55-64 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: May 10

methadone is not working for me anymore it made me lose my body funcotions and has keeped me in bed for the last 14 days.i cant stop throwing up i am also having eating problems.

Comment from: alvisdee, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: February 07

I have had three failed back surgery the last involved fusion titanium rods and screws also knees chronic back pain I have tried everything to manage my pain just stopped living then my doctor put me on methadone it has changed my life for the better I never feel high it has helped my pain to the fact I can function like normal person not a soul knows I take anything for pain its that good I would recommend it to anyone with chronic pain the good out ways the bad for me.

Related Reading: chronic pain

Comment from: TommyD., 55-64 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: February 21

Methadone has helped treat my chronic pain even though it isn't my first choice for treatment. I have tried about everything, from fentanyl, to oxycontin, to morphine. The oxycontin worked well until it was reformulated at which time I needed oxycodone along with the oxycontin for breakthrough pain. Morphine worked well but a tolerance was quick in the works & you had to dose frequently. I was hoping that a new drug z-hydro would be available but allot of people that don't have or never experienced chronic pain objected to it & now the doctors will not prescribe it. The methadone does work well & stays with you long enough that it is about the best choice at this time however doctors have a tendency to prescribe the lowest dose(they too haven't experienced chronic pain from cancer). Maybe someday people will realize that it is better to make a person comfortable with this condition instead of worrying about side-effects & addiction. I mean really...when a person is dying, who cares about side-effects ect.,ect.

Related Reading: oxycontin | morphine | oxycodone

Comment from: Showdee24o, 45-54 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: June 21

After being on OxyContin my new Dr.put me on 180mg. Of Methadone. That was 16yrs. ago and the best thing that could have happened to me. I was a zombie on OxyContin but found the old me when taking Methadone. It is very important to take as prescribed by your doctor. It is true that filling my script can be difficult at times and it's best to find a pharmacy you like and stick with them to eliminate the problems of not enough on hand or excessive questioning. My insurance co.decided that I should only take half my dose recommended by my doctor so I have had to just pay for it myself. Luckily it's not outrageously priced. Methadone has made it possible to live a normal life.

Related Reading: oxycontin

Comment from: menacetx, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: February 25

I was told by a very good doctor that the vicodin had maxed out and my body was wanting more and more leavimg me with chronic withdrawal symptoms. The doctor said the dolophi e is used mainly im cases to help herroin users. That is not me. The doctor told me that the medication would stay in my system and provide lomg term release using the vicoprophen for break through pain. The best way I can describe the way I felt almost immediately after taking tne dose of dolophine it was like someone lifted 150 poumd weight off my chest and ooened the drain allowing all of the pain to draim out of my body. For the for time im I don't even know the last time , I was complete free of pain. My eyes still tear up thinking about it.

Related Reading: vicodin | dolophine

Comment from: kznifty50, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: February 10

I was taking morphine for pain and was pleased when i was able to switch to methadone. i feel it works better without the severe constipation effects.

Related Reading: constipation

Comment from: toohip01, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: February 07

I've used Methadone for 13 yrs for sever pain after 3 back surjuries. I was up to 80 mg a day, now only 30 mg a day. It's half life is long and works great. The only problem has been constipation which is solved by using Polyethylene Glycol 3350 in my coffee in the morning.

From WebMD Logo