Doryx

Comment from: girlladycat, 19-24 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 24

I have been taking this orally for about a month, and along with three face creams, my acne has cleared! I have fortunately not had to experience any side effects.

Related Reading: acne

Published: September 19

My 18 year old daughter started taking Doryx around 6 months ago for acne. While on this drug, she came down with mono and began suffering significant hair loss. We attributed the hair loss to the mono as her dermatologist who prescribed the Doryx assured us that sometimes after an illness hair loss will occur. Well, that was six months ago and the hair loss continued. I knew something else was wrong. She had every blood test under the sun and nothing checked out. I decided to do some research on Doryx and found out that others had complained of hair loss. I took my daughter off it and the hair loss stopped! Why wouldn't the dermotologist immediately make that connection? We had no idea that hair loss was a side effect; it wasn't listed in the literature. But, I assure you, that if you begin losing your hair, get off Doryx immediately!!!

Related Reading: doryx | hair loss

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: December 12

Prior to taking Doryx, I would usually have anywhere from 5-10 large pimples on my face. I was prescribed Doryx after seeing a dermatologist. After about a month on the drug, I noticed a significant reduction in the amount of acne and after two months, was about 95% cured of problem and continue to be now a year later. This drug worked a miracle on my skin! I've had acne for over 10 years and have never had alot of success with topical medications. When I talk to people, I feel like they are looking at me and not my acne anymore. The occasional side effect I experienced were cramps when I took this drug on an empty stomach.

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: March 19

I used to get the kind of acne that starts out under the skin and hurts a few days before you can even see it. Then when you can see it, it still takes about a week to fully get rid off and you're left with a scar even though you didn't pop it. My dermatologist prescribed this and I'll admit, I was skeptical. He said it would get worse before it got better. The day I saw him I had 2 or 3 large zits around my chin and mouth that were still under the skin and had yet to come out. To my surprise, it only got better. The zits went away in 2 days and never made it to the surface. I was shocked. I read someone else's review that said it causes yeast infections, which my doctor didn't warn me of. I had never had one before and didn't know quite what to expect. It's going on 5 weeks now and I did get a yeast infection. It sucks, but I will still keep taking this medication because it's working so well for my acne. Acne can be a life long battle and I'm just so thankful I found something that works, even if it has a few side effects that last a few days. If you are about to start taking this medication, my advise is to ALWAYS TAKE IT WITH FOOD. I took it once on an empty stomach and I ended up with a stomach ache that also made me feel hungry. I wanted to eat, but I didn't want to eat cause I thought I may vomit. Don't make this mistake.

Related Reading: yeast infection

Comment from: Son with acne, 13-18 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: December 21

My 14 year old son starting taking Doryx for his severe acne. He has been taking it for almost 3 months with great results. Absolutely no side effects. It did take about 5 weeks for all of the acne to be gone. He is using it with epiduo and washing his face in Accent face wash and lotion. I'm not sure how long he will be on Doryx. He goes back to Dr soon. I'm praying once he stops using the medication the acne doesn't return.

Related Reading: epiduo

Comment from: in PAIN, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 18

My pharmacy notes said not to take it less than 10 minutes before lying down. I think the note needs to be more explicit and mention 30 minutes like other places. After 1 week on Doryx, I started to feel that something was stuck in my throat, then it progressed to painful throat/swallowing, then esophogus pains. I don't know how to describe it but it is awful, I don't want to eat and I am in a lot of pain. I stopped the medicine and the pain got worse (the damage was already done). I am wondering if I have an ulcer or some other problem. I went to my primary doc and they gave me a GI cocktail which didn't help at all and now I am taking a drug to coat my throat. 3 doses so far and I am not experiencing any relief at all. This is related to the Doryx. I hope this goes away soon as I am miserable. Also, I noticed some joint pain, muscles weakness, lightheadedness, headaches, and got a yeast infection despite eating yogurt.

Comment from: WLT9691, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: April 14

My doctor started me on Doryx and gave me some samples and a coupon that said I could get it for $25. First, the pills are HUGE! You can't break them up becasue it says not to in their literature because it ruins the pellets. I told my doctor that the coupon DID NOT work. He then gave me a prescription for the exact same medicine, Monodox and a coupon to get 60 pills a month for $10!!!!! And that is good for 12 months! These are small pills too! Monodox has been great!! Save yourself some money and get the same drug for $10!!!!

Related Reading: monodox

Comment from: Ashley1991, 19-24 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: July 05

This medication caused me to have a feeling of chest tightening and trouble breathing. I was treated by paramedics two days after I started the medication I was given oxygen and felt better. I called my and they said they doctors didn't think it was a side effect of Doryx. However, I ended up in the hospital a few days later. It was determined that doryx caused my symptoms and when I quit taking it 2 months ago have I never had any of these symptoms again

Related Reading: doryx

Comment from: Ava, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: April 14

I took Doryx about a month and it clear my acne on face, but it caused my scalp to severely itch and hair loss. Do not take this medication if you don't want to lose your hair!!

Related Reading: acne | itch | hair loss

Published: May 19

My son's teeth have turned yellow and his hair has been falling out. The pharmacist told me this wasn't a side effect, but reading other reviews I will have him stop taking this immediately. thank you

Comment from: Rena, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 28

The only problem i had was the side effect of all or most antibaotics i had a very persistent yeast infection. But taking the medication was worth it, this is the only thing that has help my adult acne.

Related Reading: yeast infection

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: May 26

At first I was apprenhensive to taking ANOTHER pill to help with me acne. I have tried taking other pils when I was younger, but at the beginning of the year my acne had stared to get pretty bad. So i went to my dermatologist and got my prescription and took my pills religiously for the next 4 months or so. Now my face looks like i never even had acne. Im so happy that i gave these pills a chance. I had no side effects at all. I definately recommend these to EVERYONE that is considering going on doryx!!

Related Reading: doryx

Comment from: RLT, 19-24 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: November 28

THIS MEDICATION WAS TERRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT GAVE ME SKIN IRRITATION, YEAST INFECTION, NAUSEA, SWEAT, AND HIVES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT TAKE THIS MEDICATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Related Reading: yeast infection | hives

Comment from: CalliR, 13-18 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: November 22

Yes, Doryx works very well, it cleared up the redness of my zits and stopped the acne from popping up, but i'm very active in sports and this drug made me tired and short of breath.

Comment from: ThisLady, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: July 03

I have had adult acne for years, I've been taking Doryx for 18 months now and have been acne free for 17 of those. I may get a pimple the week of my period, but nothing more than that. The first month it did give me diarrhea, but now there are zero side effects except for great skin! I call it a miracle drug. It has changed my life.

Related Reading: diarrhea

Comment from: MME720, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: June 18

I'd used this drug 2 yrs ago at 15Omg and it worked wonders. I was on it for 3 mos and it cleared up my mild acne very well. No side effects except upset stomach if no food. I did have an issue swallowing the whole pill, but it was worth it. I had a flare up now, 2 yrs later and asked to go on it again but this time I'm seeing minimal, if any, positive results. I have noticed I'm tired more than usual but no hair loss or anything else. I do this in combination with Retin-A Micro and Benzylcin topicals at night and I'm disappointed. I will be visiting my Derm again to ask for another Rx to get better results.

Related Reading: retin-a micro

Fungal Skin Infections: Types, Symptoms, and Treatments See Slideshow
Comment from: flutelou, 55-64 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year Published: May 31

My son has been on this medication for 6 months with no improvement to his acne. We were given, via the dermatologist, a discount card valid until 28 February 2010, since March the cost has been $428 per month and considering that Doryx 150mg per day has been completely ineffective I feel we should be reimbursed in total.

Related Reading: acne | doryx

Comment from: 13-18 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: November 14

Great drug for treating mild, to moderate acne. Though, regardless of what your dermatologist tells you this drug should not be taken for long periods of time because even though it cleared my acne over the course of a year it gave me unusually high blood pressure for someone my age, loss of hair(Particularly in the front), and shortness of breath causing much discomfort at times. So be very careful with it and only take the drug for no more than six months at a time. Hope this helps.

Related Reading: high blood pressure

Comment from: Shez, 35-44 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year Published: August 03

My daughter started taking it 8 months ago with limited results-we are very unhappy and the cost was unreal-We will be asking our dermatologist to switch to another medication soon!

Comment from: kismetangel, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: July 10

I started taking Doryx about 3 months ago. My dermatologist started me out with a 2 weeks sample. Then I found a website....http://www.wcrx.com/products/doryx/index.php, that offers a $50 rebate. I pay $60 for 90 day supply. So I really only had to pay $10. It works really well. I have seen a reduction in pimples and those I do get are very small and are gone within a day. I did get a yeast infection during the first month on it. Took 2 Diflucan and started taking a probiotic and I haven't had that problem since. I suggest this medication, if you have tried other oral antibiotics and they are not working. I am also having Beta-peels, which are improving my complexion. This is a pricey medication, but it is well worth it. I got my rebate check 4 weeks after submitting it (keep your original reciept). Make sure you eat before you take it. I have never had any stomach issues with it, but I know others have.

Related Reading: yeast infection | diflucan

Comment from: 19-24 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: June 08

Doryx has been a helpful drug and has helped clear my acne. It cleared about 80 percent of it... The side effects are very confusing though... i have to take it with food or it will upset my stomach.. when i mean it upsets my stomach, i mean that it feels as though i am having "heartburn"... it also causes shortness of breath while i run... but it did the job and i am happy with the results

Related Reading: heartburn

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 22

I started taking this medication about 1 week ago and have seen a reduction in the redness of my acne. My doctor told me that the acne might get worse before it got better and to give it about 5 weeks to work completely. I use this with a topical cream. I have noticed that it makes me very thirsty and from the neck down, my skin is really dry...so far so good...

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: November 26

This drug is awful! I was prescribed it for mild adult acne and besides causing skin irritation, yeast infections, discoloration of teeth and nausea among other terrible side effects, it made my acne much worse than it was to begin with! I stopped taking it after 5 weeks. Do not take this medication!

Comment from: catsis, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: May 13

This medication has worked wonderfully for me. I'm 47 and have hormonal acne. I had deep cystic acne around my chin, neck, and some on cheeks. The first month I used Doryx my acne seemed to get worse and right after taking the pill I felt some discomfort like heartburn. At about week 4, the acne really improved and I no longer had the heartburn feeling. Now I'm on month 3 and have no cysts, no acne! My skin is more sensitive to the sun but I would definitely recommend this for hormonal cystic acne!

Related Reading: cystic acne

Comment from: 13-18 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: February 09

I having been taking Doryx for almost 2 years for persistent acne. It works pretty well, giving me clear-ish skin always except right before my period. I take it in correlation with birth control pills. The side affects where minimum until tonight, when I forgot and took a double dose on top of alcohol. I have the shakes and nausea. The hardest part about taking this pill is having to take it at a different time then a meal, but not within half and hour of bed. However, I have GERD which makes it much more difficult to take any medications, and this is one ot the few I can tolerate.

Related Reading: doryx | acne | gerd