Effexor

Comment from: D1nonlysnshn55-64on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: January 21

I have been a "highly funtioning" depressed person for many years: life of the party, witty, intelligent, charming, intelligent conversationalist, highly successful at the top of the food chain in my field, ...until I got home. Work was an escape from myself for me. If I had no weekend functions to attend I would be catatonic, only getting out of bed to use the bathroom. I had always felt like an outsider, looking in on life, trying to imitate what everyone else was doing, but never getting it quite right and others sensing that I was a fake. No not suicidal-many years ago I came to the realization that I can only live once for a limited amount of time, but death is forever. Also, as long as I was alive, I always had a choice, but once I was dead, there was no coming back. About 6 years ago, it was so bad that I stopped sleeping and could not eat, dropping 40 pounds in a matter of weeks. My thoughts were chasing around in my head so much, that I thought I would jump out of the window any second just to make it stop. Decided to get help. Diagnosed with menopause related depression. Put on Effexor, 75mg. Took about 2 weeks to get used to it. Yes, head in a fog. Eventually things normalized and dosage did not have to be increased. I was supposed to be on it for about a year, to allow my body time to get used to the changes. After having left the med at work over a long holiday weekend in October, I suffered extreme withdrawal symptoms and decided to stop taking it right then and there. I also found out that it made my cholesterol go from 180 to 260. Which still has not normalized. I was able to get it down in the 230s adding phytosterols, nuts, healthy oils and seaweed. Apparently I am in the 8% percent that this happens to when taking Effexor. Unfortunately, this was not in the patient information leaflet. I always read those completely. But the prescribing physician should have seen that in the desk reference and monitored for it. Good thing: was only on it 6 mos.

Related Reading: menopause | depression | effexor

Comment from: nzgirl25-34on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: May 22

I have taken this for 3 months at 150 mg (started on 75 mg and worked up). I have felt a tiny bit better mood wise but the side effects are horrible and not worth it. I wake up 3-4 times a night absolutely drenched in sweat, my bedding is soaked, but I am freezing cold. I feel like I only get about 2 hours sleep with all the waking up and uncomfortableness of sweating. When I do sleep I have terrible nightmares. This is getting worse not better. I have trouble with body temperature during the day too - I get really hot and feel like I will pass out. Or really cold and just can't get warm for several hours. I also have terrible nausea that is getting worse, some days it's pretty much constant. Other side effects include constipation, headaches, blurred vision and loss of appetite. At the start I also bruised really easily and was pretty much covered in bruises for a few weeks. Side effects are so awful I am trying to get off this drug, and even after only 3 months, it is proving difficult. I am back down to 75 mg but the side effects are getting worse. I am living on anti-nausea pills!

Related Reading: nightmares | constipation | bruises

Comment from: 35-44on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: August 22

I took this medicine for about 7 years with great results, and quit taking it 9 years ago when I was pregnant with my daughter. Recently I was put back on it and had terrible side effects. My eyes dilated and swelled. They became very red after only 2 doses. I was extremely jittery. I felt nothing at all. My family said I was a zombie. I couldn't think or function.

Comment from: 45-54on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: November 27

I have been taking Effexor for depression for four years and have found it to be very effective.

Related Reading: effexor | depression

Comment from: 35-44on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: June 12

Suffer from major depression and have tried everything from A to Z. My Dr. put me on Effexor with no warnings about side effects. Took 150mgs for about a year along with Zoloft and I began to feel like my old self again, before depression. You know that person you wish you could be again. And my only complaint is the horrible sweating. But it's worth it to me. Just be careful when coming off because I didnt know if it was the drug or me Just feeling better so I stopped taking it overnight and it threw me through a loop. My depression came back full force and I started crying to myself and thinking I was crazy and better off dead. Still, I stayed off of it for 2 or 3 months untill it got oit of my system. I didn't sweat nearly as much but now I am realizing that I was better off on the effexor than off and have recently started to take it again. I just hope I have the same good effects as the first time around.

Related Reading: depression | effexor | zoloft

Comment from: Momof325-34on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: March 11

I have been battling seasonal depression and this year I couldnâ??t stand it so this is my first encounter with an anti-depressant medication. Was suppose to taper up to 150mg but took 1 pill of 37mg in the evening. The next morning I woke up feeling STRUNG OUT. Ended up in the hospital. HORRIBLE feeling. Vomiting, sweating, hear racing, whole body shivers and twitching. AWFUL.

Related Reading: depression

Comment from: rosie55-64on Treatment for 6 months to - 1 year Published: January 23

with every increase in medication, my depression worsens, not desire to eat or do anything, don't want to go out, feel anti-social - I will be seeing my doc soon and plan to have her wean me off this, I'm more anxious and depressed on it, horrible nightmares, insomnia to name a few bad side effects....I do not recommend this at all

Related Reading: depression | nightmares | insomnia

Comment from: Susie36045-54on Treatment for 5-10 years Published: October 10

I have been taking this medication since Nov 2015. Im taking 300mg. 2 x 150mg tablets in the morning. I take both together as when I use to take one in the morning and one at night I had terrible trouble sleeping. Taking them both in the morning worked for me. However, I am now finding by 3pm in the afternoon I am getting withdrawal like symptoms. The brain zapping and dizziness. I havenâ??t spoken to my doctor yet as I donâ??t want to increase them any more. I would love to try and come off them. But I am so frightened of the withdrawal symptoms and feeling so bad the depression returns. When you have come off them how did they advise you to decrease? I will go to see my doctor and take his advice but to know someone that has done and techniques on how to cope with the withdrawal would be good. I feel like locking myself away for sometime and coming off them so I am alone and canâ??t take the feelings out on anyone else. Or could the doctor just put me in a induced coma and take me off the drugs? I could wake up and itâ??s all gone out of my system! I am joking on the last bit I donâ??t any doctor would do that. Cheers Sue in the ð??¬ð??§

Related Reading: dizziness | depression | coma

Comment from: Emilyec13-18on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: August 29

I am currently on this medication and it is working great. Iâ??m 18 and have had anxiety/depression for most of my life. I have tried Paxil, Lexapro, and Zoloft but this one has worked the best. The only thing I donâ??t like about it is that if you miss a pill or are trying to get off of the drug, the side effects are horrible. When I miss a pill, the next day I am super sad, confused, dizzy, I canâ??t concentrate on anything, Iâ??m super tired, and very loopy. If you are wanting to take this medication, just know that the side effects of withdrawal are very hard, but the pill works very good in my case. I didnâ??t have any side effects getting on the pill so that was also a plus. Read reviews, but donâ??t expect to have the same circumstance as everyone who takes it because it reacts differently with everyone.

Related Reading: anxiety | depression | paxil

Comment from: Nothappy45-54on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: August 29

USE THIS MEDICATION AS A LAST RESORT ONLY!!! Effexor worked for my anxiety, although it took away a sense of "urgency" related to task importance, and sex drive disappeared. I weaned off under my doctor's supervision, replacing the Effexor with Cipralex gradually. I am experiencing paralyzing brain malfunction, confusion, randomly losing where I am and where I'm going while driving. Getting lost travelling routes that I'm familiar with. I am unable to focus properly in conversation, managing tasks in their order is ridiculously challenging. I'm nearly a year out. Hoping my brain isn't permanently scrambled.

Related Reading: effexor | anxiety

Comment from: alpoxwolf25-34on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: July 25

Prescribed by my ObGyn for cancer radiation treatment related hot flashes/night sweats. I took my first dosage 4 hours ago from writing this. An hour after taking it, I started feeling off, and enough time to look up the symptoms before rushing to the bathroom for vomiting. I also had lightheadedness, dizziness, and nausea. Took about four hours to wear off enough that I don't need to lay down, but still a bit of nausea/vomiting.

Related Reading: cancer | hot flashes | night sweats

Learn to Spot Depression: Symptoms, Warning Signs, Medication See Slideshow
Comment from: Glm55-64on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: July 22

Survivor of repeated abuse. Dx.:PTSD,Panic attacks, Depression, social phobia,also OA with JRA, Chronic pain post surgical, neck (abuse related) and back. Stumbled onto Effexor after many years on other meds. VERY NICE SURPRISE! I'm waking up pain free for the first time in 15 years. The pain comes in later, but it's so very nice that it's not what wakes me anymore.Ive just begun treatment w Effexor and I can only hope this 'side effect' is lasting. I'm taking 37.5 mg. For the first time in decades I have hope. And, yes, it completely handled my depression symptoms, too. I get a black wave of depression every few days, but am no longer a jug of tears. So far, it's great.

Related Reading: panic attacks | depression | chronic pain

Comment from: drugreviewscreenname19-24on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: May 26

By far my least favorite antidepressant. A very rushed dr in psych prescribed me Effexor. I knew right away this medication and I werenâ??t going to get along, but everyone encouraged us to try and work it out. Played with dosage, but I only lasted a little over a month on it. Ya know in drug commercials where they list all the possible side effects? That was our relationship. This medication may cause â??dry moth, constipation, headaches..â?. Perfect for anyone that loves having anxiety attacks in coffee shops and feeling out of body

Related Reading: effexor | constipation | anxiety

Comment from: Aopie 25-34on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: May 06

Comment from: IAmYourSunshine25-34on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: April 24

First few days (37.5mg) the side effects for me included loss of appetite, dry mouth, nausea every 2 weeks my GP increased the dose and I'm now on 262mg extended release daily. The only side effects I have now remains the dry mouth, waking up at 2am,3am,4am etc until I have to get up, unable to orgasm (I'm female) and I'm unable to cry physically even if I feel sad. I think you need to have expectations of this drug it's not going to make you "happy" and "energetic" it's going to make you function normally. I can make decisions at work again, communicate better with others, I don't excessively worry about things in fact it makes you literally not care. It blunts your emotions which is a good thing and a bad thing. But it has definetly helped to balance things out for me and improved my quality of life. The side effects are worth it. You know its working when you nearly forget to take it in the morning. It's like having a sore throat, you're very aware of the pain so you take a paracetamol, once this drug starts working you feel so normal again youre not aware of the pain that was once there all the time.

Related Reading: dry mouth | sore throat

Comment from: 45-54on Treatment for 6 months to - 1 year Published: October 28

Only on a low dose but this drug has helped make me human again. I sleep well, have lost weight and the only side effect has been minor constipation if I don't eat well. Otherwise it has made me capable of having a conversation with other people again and I have regained my functionality at work.

Related Reading: constipation

Comment from: 25-34 Published: June 08

Comment from: Willow1036455-64on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: January 29

I know this sounds dumb BUT I never ever, EVER had WARTS, but while i was on Effexor Warts started to pop up on my hands, I was just taking Effexor, nothing else. I thought it coudn't be Effexor, but that was the only thing I was doing different, so I stoped it and with-in 2 to 3 weeks they where ALL-GONE, I couldn't beleve it, (I have a witness). I will never take it again, if it caused the warts out-side what did it do in-side? All I know now is that it has been 12 years since then, an now I have M.S. :(

Related Reading: warts | effexor