Effexor XR

Comment from: Mortimer45-54on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: May 02

When I was prescribed this medication I read the reviews and then got kinda nervous about taking it. I decided to only take 1 x 37.5 mg per day. I was very nauseous the first 4 days. Had a strange vacant feeling, kinda weak, stuck it out and most of the side effects went away. The only bothersome one I have now is slight constipation. Magnesium citrate and Metamucil are dealing with that. I'm pretty sleepy after I take it in the am but coffee does the trick (and no longer turns me into a nervous wreck). I am calmer, I can concentrate better, my sense of humor is back, I feel normal, like my old self. I'm not anxious about silly things, but I'm also not a zombie. My dr is fine with me sticking with the low dose. I know this drug isn't for everyone, but it is working for me.

Related Reading: constipation | magnesium citrate

Comment from: 35-44on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: April 22

I've had anxiety, panic attacks and depression since I was a child. I have taken most SSRI meds, but Effexor XR 150mg has been the best by far. I rarely have panic attacks, and if I do, they are mild and controllable. My anxiety in general is low and I don't get depressed any more. I also don't have any side effects (only decreased appetite which isn't so bad!) I am able to perform a stressful, professional full time job without any problems. I intend to keep taking this forever. If it works, why try and stop it?! I have never been happier.

Related Reading: anxiety | panic attacks | depression

Comment from: RichWS65-71on Treatment for 6 months to - 1 year Published: July 05

I’m a 69 year old male with heart disease that required by-pass surgery in 1997. I started having panic attacks on 2010, although I didn’t know what they were at the time. The attacks got much worse after a heart attack in 2015. Symptoms included loss of appetite, nausea, shaking, headache and even dental pain. I was in the hospital three times for these symptoms over the past 4 years with no resolution. I finally went to the hospital in November 2017. I suspected these issues were anxiety related and a doctor offered me a prescription for 75 mg of Effexor (started with 37.5 mg for the first week). Symptoms subsided fairly quickly over the first week and I had a good Christmas. It’s been seven months now and I’m feeling great. All symptoms are gone. I’ve been eating good, sleeping, good and have been very active outside, biking and doing yard work (retired in 2014). Still on 75mg. No significant side affects other a mild reduction in sexual activity. It’s definitely been very effective for me. Hope it keeps up.

Comment from: Josh35-44on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: April 03

I'm 38 male. Been taking Ativan daily for over 10 years to treat panic attacks and anxiety. All of sudden one day started having extreme disturbing thoughts and the Ativan was barely helping anymore. Miserable for about 6 months with this new strange anxiety/panic with crazy horrible thoughts was really creating a lot of despair in my life. Luckily and by the grace of God I found a deacon of my church that steered me to a really good psychiatrist. He prescribed me effexor xr 37.5 mg 2x a day. Initially no relief but after about 2 weeks slowly but surely I began to feel normal and not having any disturbing thoughts. What a blessing to feel at peace again. Wasn't even feeling much need for the Ativan anymore. Before the new anxiety/crazy thoughts started i was averaging .5 of Ativan a day and feeling fine for the most part. Then after I started having disturbing thoughts all of sudden and out of the blue (was on a trip driving out of town when it began). Anyways, it was disturbing me so much that I was taking anywhere from 2mg to 3mg of Ativan a day just to get by and was still feeling miserable and feeling I was at my breaking point almost entirely from morning til night. And now for over a month i felt normal almost 100 percent of the time. Reduced my Ativan down to 1mg a day and sometimes don't even feel the need for it. I take 37.5 mg in the morning and at night and my goal is to get off the Ativan all together and only being on the effexor. Thank God it helped me tremendously and I hope anyone that suffers from what I did can get the help and peace that I did! God bless and heal all who suffer with all mental illness!!

Related Reading: ativan | panic attacks | anxiety

Comment from: Kathleen137435-44on Treatment for 10+ years Published: February 27

I have been on 300mg for 16 years and this medication has saved my life. I tried all the SSRIs available at the time and never got better. This SNRI did it! Thank God!

Comment from: 45-54on Treatment for 6 months to - 1 year Published: September 13

TRY ANYTHING BUT EFFEXOR! At first I thought this was helping my anxiety and depression but the side affects are AWFUL! I am about to lose my job because I have missed so much work related to the side effects! I have missed 8 days in 4 months. I have nausea, vomiting, sweating,drowsiness,trouble sleeping,weird vivid dreams,and headaches, some are migraines. Would not have taken it if I had known the side effects!

Related Reading: effexor | anxiety | depression

Comment from: 35-44on Treatment for 10+ years Published: March 03

DO NOT TAKE THIS POISON UNLESS YOU ARE OK WITH THE WITHDRAWAL SYMPTOMS. Yes it works for depression and anxiety but if you ever want to quit taking it you will go through hell. I was taking Zoloft and it quit working. Dr suggested effexor XR. It was like a miracle. I could enjoy life again. I woke up with a sense of possibility. Worked great for about 5 years then it seemed to quit working as well. So I upped my dose. Even then the results weren't the same as they had been. Finally after 10 years at the age of 28 I decided to work with my Dr and go on Prozac. I slowly decreased from 150 mg effexor down to 37.5 and was even to the point where I had samples of 37.5 I would open and dump out half. It didn't matter. Side effects we're HORRIBLE. I couldn't think. I would find myself just standing staring off into space not sure what I had been doing. Weird swooshing noises in my head. Took me a half hour one day just to get dressed because I couldn't focus. It was the worst experience of my life. It was impossible to work or drive or do anything normal. This medicine should be used only as a last resort.

Related Reading: depression | anxiety | zoloft

Comment from: Carter35-44on Treatment for 6 months to - 1 year Published: February 07

I have what I call anger anxiety. when things start to make my anxiety start, I have anger along with it, like the sky is falling. And nothing can help. But, since being on Effexor XR, I have no problems at all.

Related Reading: anxiety | effexor xr

Comment from: Aimee35-44on Treatment for 10+ years Published: November 15

After years of trying various other antidepressants, Effexor (which the family calls the "anti-bitch" pill) has been by far the greatest!! I take 150 mg XR per pay in combination with Klonopin for about 10 years. Love it!

Related Reading: antidepressants | effexor | klonopin

Comment from: Bripolar55-64on Treatment for 10+ years Published: July 06

18 years ago, when we had our third child, and soon after that, my Dad died. I experienced a prolonged period of depression. It begun with anxiety and all those 'lovely' attacks. I have been on Effexor for all that time. It works (only 75 mg for the past few years), but it concerns me that I have been on it for so long. My old brain (I'm now 58!) tells me if I've missed a daily dose with vivid, almost psychedelic dreams. Oh, and those really odd shocks to my physical self. Other than that, my sex drive is good, real good. I still drink and exercise a ton. You have to, right? I think this drug probably helped give me the wonderful life I am fortunate to be living.

Related Reading: depression | anxiety | effexor

Comment from: happy-now65-71on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: May 20

For 0 yrs after a thalamic stroke, I was in near constant and severe right side pain and intense burning. The doctor treated this with increasing doses of codeine. The codeine withdrawal was as bad as the original pain. A change of Dr and my own research gave me Venlafaxine. starting at 37.5 mg increasing to 250 mg, then settling at 175, WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!! Most days I have no burning at all, seldom the burning returns as a "light sunburn" only in spots. The paraethesia comes only 2-3 times a year. This med has made a vast change in quality of life for me. Instead on my day revolving around horrible opioids and their side effects, I am able to do most everything I could before the stroke.

Related Reading: stroke | codeine | venlafaxine

Comment from: Lassie45-54on Treatment for 5-10 years Published: January 10

Been on this for years... With the addition of Abilify, it helped me with the Bipolar. Now after some time on the drug and at max strength, I am looking toward a new solution. Its effects are waning I believe.

Related Reading: abilify

Learn to Spot Depression: Symptoms, Warning Signs, Medication See Slideshow
Comment from: Finally45-54on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: January 09

Sleepiness in the afternoon, low sex drive, a little less appetite and brain zaps when you miss the dose for day and half.

Comment from: Blinky197935-44on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: December 03

While taking this medication it somewhat helped, but the extreme mood alterations made me have to stop taking it. That was when the trouble began, it was one of the worst experiences of my life. There are several places online to read about "brain zaps", one of the more common side effects of stopping. If at all possible DO NOT USE THIS MEDICATION, please.

Comment from: chubbyguy45-54on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: November 26

Effexor xr 300mg/day in the morning, and Seroquel xr 200mg/day before bed. Is the perfect coctail for me. Feel so alive, alert, & energetic. It far surpasses other drugs I've been prescribed.

Related Reading: effexor xr | seroquel xr

Comment from: kittykat35-44on Treatment for 10+ years Published: October 07

Have been taking 150mg daily for 20 years. First few yrs I tried weaning and coming off only to have awful anxiety and confusion back, bed bound again and unable to function. Accepted Iâ??d be taking this drug long term. Keeps me focused, confident and stable in mood. Extreme nausea, weird vibrating head and vertigo if I forget to take it 2+days. Thank you Effexor XR for allowing me to experience happy life and probably saving my life in general. Dreading the day I can’t take this drug anymore for whatever reason life throws at me.

Related Reading: anxiety | vertigo | effexor xr

Comment from: herta55-64 Published: September 06

I have been on effexor first at 75 mg now at 115 mg for over 15 years. I dont feel any different as a person but have less if no anxiety or depression. I have not had any of the side effects plus i drink white wine daily. My sleep has been very good but you do have very vivid interesting dreams. This drug changed and saved my life. Many other members of my direct family have also benefited from use of this medication.

Related Reading: effexor | anxiety | depression

Comment from: sualiet45-54on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: August 19

You do not Script or health Insurance needed to place and order we got all what you want okay all kind of pills.. It was nice to have some from them, I just hit them at. WhatsApp only: +1(870)-816-9491, Wickr:icore88. Email: [email protected], Message code: (Med16) Discreet Delivery

Comment from: 45-54on Treatment for 5-10 years Published: May 10

Comment from: buy Oxycontin55-64on Treatment for 5-10 years Published: April 18

Text me at or contact +1(501)519-0838 Email: [email protected] Below is a list of some of our product HEROIN Methamphetamine (Crystal Meth) ayurvedic urea in powder. Lemon Quaaludes 714. Etaqualone powder, Etaqualone pills Xanax 1 mg Upjohn footbals XANAX 1 mg (blue Ksalol) Xanax SR 2 mg (brand Upjohn) Xanax 2 mg (Pfizer LongBars) Valium 10 mg Bensedine flexeril (cyclobenzaprine) - merck tabs hydrocodone 10mg/500mg 60tabs roxicodone 30mg (physicians tc) clonazepam (klonopin) fentanyl brand name: duragesic 5-12 12.5 mcg/hr patches oxycontin methadone seconal (chemical name-secobarbital) oxycodone-apap (wattson labs) vailum suboxone subutex nembutal Text me at or contact +1(501)519-0838 Email: [email protected]

Related Reading: methamphetamine | urea | xanax

Published: April 09

I need to get off this.

Comment from: kaybee19-24on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: March 24

My first time on Effexor three years ago, I quit it cold turkey due to side effects. DO. NOT. DO. THIS. I threw up for a week, had cold chills, and couldn't leave my bed. It was full blown withdrawal. I recently had an uptick in my panic disorder and depression, compounded by PTSD. Because Effexor had worked to manage my day-to-day symptoms before, I was placed back on it. There are definitely side effects if I miss a dose, such as vomiting and dizziness. I've also noticed that even taking it regularly, I've developed an aversion to solid foods. It may be from the vomiting when I was changing doses, but it's pretty bothersome living off of yogurt and protein shakes until the drug starts wearing off at night. My panic disorders have become few and far between, and to me, that is worth the annoying side effects and dependence.

Related Reading: effexor | depression | dizziness

Comment from: Kimhen45-54on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: March 23

One pill was all it took. Do not take this! I have PTSD and severe anxiety. I also shake like a cold wound up Chiwawa! I have been taking Xanax for years and it worked great. My DR retired and my new Dr after getting me off that prescribed meEffexor. 4 hrs after my first dose, dizzy, throwing up, slurred speech and horrible headache and the shaking is horrible. 1st dose was enough for me. I would rather be on nothing than feel like this. It has a short life so hopefully I will start feeling better within a day or 2.

Related Reading: anxiety | xanax | headache

Comment from: yraelaliyah19-24on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: March 15

I was prescribed Effexor XR 75mg to treat my anxiety and depression. Every since i've been on it, my attention span has been getting shorter and my ADHD is getting worse. Is that normal?

Related Reading: effexor xr | anxiety | depression

Comment from: Annoymous45-54on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: March 10

I am on 75mg xr efexor for 3 weeks and 2 days . I’m at my wits end whether to continue as I’ve having still very severe anxiety and a down feeling. Can anyone advise?

Related Reading: anxiety

Comment from: Rls35-44on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: February 24

I started taking this medication three weeks ago First few days I was really tired but now I’m much better I’m back to normal...I haven’t felt this way in years I am relaxed and I can sleep. I can think clearly and focus instead of freaking out all the time.

Comment from: S19-24on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: February 19

I began Effexor 150 mg for anxiety. After 2 years my anxiety is worse than ever. Effexor gives me the shakes, nausea, dizziness all of the stuff that triggers my anxiety itâ??s absolutely terrible. I get tremors in my sleep and terrifying nightmares. My sex drive is non existent. I canâ??t display emotion. I constantly feel like Iâ??m dreaming when wide awake. Effexor turned me into a zombie. Please do not take this drug itâ??s the worst decision Iâ??ve ever made.

Related Reading: effexor | anxiety | dizziness

Comment from: lt350745-54on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: February 09

Comment from: mag35-44on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: January 04

I was put on this medication to treat my OCD. Seems to work quite well. I understand it can't completely cure OCD. As such I still have some obsessive tendencies.

Comment from: Mackenzie 35-44on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: November 29

My experience of this med was horrific. At 150mg I hit a new low. Was suicidal, impulsive, vomiting constantly and had frequent panic/anxiety attacks. Was so desperate to come off this medication I went cold turkey. Huge mistake. Developed discontinuation syndrome. Withdrawal symptoms were terrible. Fever, tremors, hives, night terrors, vertigo, insomnia, diarrhea, flu-like symptoms and vomiting. By day 6 I was hospitalized with severe dehydration and exhaustion. Was immediately hooked up to an IV to replace fluids and was given anti sickness meds. Doctors introduced Effexor at a lower dosage (75mg) and devised a tapering plan. I�m extremely sensitive to this drug so am tapering slowly to avoid any more withdrawal symptoms. Currently on 18.75 mg (halved a 37.5mg pill). I�m almost free of this drug, can�t wait to have my life back!!!!!

Related Reading: anxiety | tremors | hives

Comment from: Bridget45-54on Treatment for 10+ years Published: November 02

I felt like it did nothing. Then my psychiatrist said to me ‘well if you think it does nothing try coming off it then!’. Of course I didnt try to come off it but I know that today, it is 1 of my psychiatric drugs that I would go into an absolute panic if I couldnt take it for a day. Ive never missed it, I take 300mgs/day

QUESTION

Depression is a(n) __________ . See Answer
Comment from: AnaD8725-34on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: September 21

The doctor put me on Effexor 37.5mg for recurring anxiety. This medication made me feel incredibly jittery! The way I felt is what I imagine a meth head feels like. My anxiety shot through the roof, my pupils were extremely dilated and I had dark thoughts. I had NEVER in my life have EVER thought or felt this way. This stuff was not for me! I had to get off of it after 5 day. Don't freak out over my story, remember everyone reacts to these medications differently!! My aunt is on this one and at a higher dosage and she said it works amazing for her. So don't get discouraged!

Related Reading: effexor | anxiety

Comment from: sadfsadfasfsa3-6on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: August 09

afasfsafsafsaf

Comment from: Noddy65-71on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: June 10

I have been on Effexor XRT for 3 months. I had been on another anti depressant which had stopped being effective for many years. While I feel Effexor has been excellent for stabilising my depression and mood the physical side effects are terrible. Constantly nauseous, lightheaded, dry mouth with horrible metallic taste in my mouth. Although I have recently had my eyes checked and my prescription changed my vision is not clear. This may be due to the medication or something else. I take a natural sleeping tablet at night otherwise I do not sleep. I do awake more refreshed and more prepared to meet the day. I will persevere for a bit longer. I am being monitored by my psychiatrist.

Related Reading: effexor | depression | dry mouth

Comment from: This Medication35-44on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: May 26

I have been taking this medication for two weeks and I am stopping it today. It is horrible, I don't have any emotions, I can not sleep, panic attacks are worse, my brain feels like its shaking out of my skull, nervous, and just feel like I am losing my mind. I was taking Zoloft and I am going back to it. Not for me. I am hoping that my withdrawal will not be so bad.

Related Reading: panic attacks | zoloft

Comment from: HeyJude196345-54on Treatment for 10+ years Published: March 14

I've been on this since the early 200's, and decided in January to get off it. I was taking 150mg, so dropped to 75mg for a month. Aside from a swimmy, underwater sensation for a day or so, no big deal.Then I went to 37.5mg for a month. Again, the aforementioned sensations for a day or so. 3 days ago, I took my last capsule, and today: OMG, I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone. My head is swimmy and "thumpy",(no pain, just weirdness) and I have what could best be described as "brain zaps". I'm strong and I will get through it, but be aware: this drug is an absolute bitch to get off of.

Comment from: 35-44on Treatment for 5-10 years Published: January 01

I major depression in addition to a very painful autoimmune disease. Effexor has been the only drug that has worked for me. It is often written for those that have chronic pain. It works amazing for me. I take 300 mg so I am a little worried about coming off of it. It's very dangerous to come off a high dose, and withdrawal symptoms are awful and immediate. At 20 hours I am already feeling sick. Overall an amazing drug.

Related Reading: depression | effexor | chronic pain

Comment from: Killuah21025-34 Published: November 15

It made my insomnia worse. I felt manic on it.

Related Reading: insomnia

Comment from: Melissa196745-54 Published: July 01

Had alot happen bad to me since 2012 with alot of family deaths and family dramas.

Comment from: 65-71on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: April 10

Comment from: Mary35-44on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: April 03

Comment from: Marisa35-44on Treatment for 10+ years Published: March 22

I have been on this for years. I take it every day & consider Effexer part of what makes a breakfast of champions. It is the ONLY thing that has ever worked for me. That being said there are a few caveats. My libido isn't as strong as it has been in the past. I have memory problems which may because by it. Then again it may be due to depression so take that one with a grain of salt. The half life is short so skipping a day or two is NOT an option. On the plus side Effexer combined with therapy have vastly improved the quality of my life.

Related Reading: depression

Comment from: g.45-54on Treatment for 6 months to - 1 year Published: February 01

Prescribed due acute painful attacks suffered after death of spouse. I did not have the luxury of staying home, as sole wage earner for household. The attacks did stop and I felt socially able. Negative thoughts were quieted. However, things just didn't matter --everything was "just fine" even when they really were not. I lost compassion for and I was clumsy with others feelings. I didn't like the way it slowed my bowel nor the absence of being able to feel my authentic self. I quit taking it after six months, withdrawals were tolerable. Four months after, I have gained 15 pounds and feel somehow cognitively impaired -fog. I am hoping I will be back to my normal self in a few more months and I will never mess with anything that affects brain chemistry again.

Comment from: 35-44on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: January 28

Comment from: 25-34on Treatment for 10+ years Published: January 22

Comment from: 45-54on Treatment for 5-10 years Published: January 07

Comment from: Dezmnd25-34on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: December 28

Effexor has decreased my daily anxiety and panic attacks greatly. Initially, I experienced insomnia as a side effect, though that waned a month or so after beginning treatment. I have been using Effexor for 3 years. I consistently experience unusual night sweats, and decreased sex drive. I also experience "brain shivers" if I am late taking a dose.

Related Reading: effexor | anxiety | panic attacks

Comment from: 55-64on Treatment for 5-10 years Published: December 24

I took this medication for 5 years, tried to wean myself off, I experienced signs of a heart attack, difficulty breathing, chest, neck and back pain. Very vivid dreams, difficulty sleeping, nausea, and extreme irritability. After talking with my provider we decided to tapper to the 37.5mg dose then I am planning on opening the capsules and taking half of that dose, then 1/4 then the tiniest dose then quit. This drug scares me now, I would never have started taking the drug if I had known how difficult it would be to stop taking it.

Related Reading: heart attack

Comment from: 35-44on Treatment for 6 months to - 1 year Published: December 15

My only reason for not giving it 5 stars is it worked too well for me. I am too numb and i have zero anxiety. My doctor had started me on a slow process over several months to increase my dose which i am thankful for, to see what was right for me.

Related Reading: anxiety

Comment from: NYHottie196445-54on Treatment for 5-10 years Published: November 28

I started taking it for hot flashes. after bi lateral mastectomy and chemo put me into early menopause. Then a complete hysterectomy (cervix too) Hot flashes got worse!! Now taking Effexor XR 300mg (venlafaxine)--take(2) 150 mg capsules 1xdaily--hot flashes still there, NO libido at all, miss (2) days and the nausea, vomiting, floaty head feeling, diarrhea, shakes, night sweats, strange vivid dreams, snappy/crankiness,no patience for anyone, eyes feel like they are being pushed/pulled at the same time---it just sucks. I take (3) capsules and within an hour or two all the bad withdrawl type feelings go away--still no libido, still have hot flashes, BAD!, and I would love to try something else to stop the withdrawls and to just be able to wean off without the fear of having to just keep taking it. took Wellbutrin with a 150 mg Effeor XR and worked great. Dr didn't seem to think it was helping even though I told him I felt better than I had in a long time. Any suggestions (and I don't see that Dr anymore)

Related Reading: hot flashes | menopause | effexor xr