Efudex

Comment from: MilwaukeeJD55-64on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: August 01

I'm near the end of a 30 day treatment period. I've been treating my forehead, cheeks, nose and ears; the treatment is precautionary for precancer cells after having a squamous cancer removed from my ear lobe. I've applied a thin coating twice a day after washing my face and waiting at least 10 minutes. The first week to 10 days was barely noticeable. Since then, all of the areas treated have shown increased signs of inflammation, particularly on my forehead. There is some scabbing, and also some minor weeping. The level of pain or irritation has been about 1.5 on a scale of 1 to 10. So, it looks like it would be painful, but other than some very minor (and very occasional) itching, it has not been uncomfortable. My guess is that I did not have much sun damage; I did have several bad sunburns as a kid and young adult and only minor sunburns since then.

Related Reading: cancer

Comment from: geo25765-71on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: April 19

I use Efudex (fluorouracil) regularly to treat precancerous melanoma lesions and sun damaged skin. It is normal for this product to turn skin at treatment site very red or ruddy brown to red within the first two days of treatment; after that the red skin color dissipates, the skin returns to its natural color and pain, if any, ebbs away. I have used this on some pretty serious skin lesions, moles and bleeding melanoma freckles with great success; the abnormalities and lesions healed and disappeared within just a few days. My wife uses it on Age Spots, also with great success; the skin pigmentation dissipates and returns to normal (matching the surrounding skin) and and the age spot ceases to be visible to the naked eye. I get the best use from this product when I apply it to my forehead and rub it into my scalp through my hair at the temples. First time users should expect ruddy red skin coloration at treatment site and some pain (not much); skin color will return to normal in a few days and lesions will start to heal. Good Luck with this! John George Granville County

Related Reading: efudex | fluorouracil | melanoma

Comment from: Cindy45-54on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: November 01

I used Efudex 2% cream in 2000 at age 35 to treat huge brown blotches on my face from sun damage. It works by slowly burning off the discoloration over a 3-4 week time period, then it takes an additional 2-3 weeks for the burn to heal. It's been seventeen years and the horrible blotches never came back. Efudex is a wonderful treatment and I highly recommend it. I was so impressed with the results of the medication that I kept the box as a reference in case I ever needed it in the future. Today, an out of state friend was describing the same blotchiness on her face, so I pulled out the box and gave her the name of the cream. I wasn't even sure if it was still being manufactured. Now that I know it is, I plan on getting another prescription for the brown age spots on my hands and arms. I don't recall experiencing any itchiness or other side affects some of the other people claim. I do remember the medicine working miraculously, though. I also remember that the blotches were so bad that cosmetics couldn't even cover it up.

Related Reading: efudex

Comment from: A Physician75 or overon Treatment for less than 1 month Published: April 22

Fourth or fifth treatment over the years.Effective earlier but I think I have become sensitized?? A little pain after the very first application. By third application was very red, crusting, weeping and painful. Symptoms eased within a day of no application. A year ago I applied to normal skin never exposed to sunlight and within three days developed red, raised, itching rash. Doesn't sound to me like normal reaction. Haven't found mention of sensitization in literature.