Erbitux

Comment from: kjobennetton Treatment for 1-6 months Published: December 23

Diagnosed stage 4 in Oct. 06. After liver resection in 7/07, was put on erbitux along with Irenotecan and 5 months post op, the liver is growing back healthy with no signs of cancer. The acne appeared on my face after the first treatment then on the neck later. Skin became severely dry and a month after treatments ended I am having problems with finger and toenails ingrown because the skin is so thin. Also started losing my hair in the last few weeks.

Comment from: SOMETHING55-64on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: January 21

I have stage 4 colon CA which has spread to my lung. I've been taking Erbitux for about 1.5 years. I have experienced severe skin problems: swelling of my hands,many fissures on hands and fingertips, Hair loss and much DRY skin which flakes off everywhere. I don't know how I have any skin left! I've tryed just about every lotion and cream,OTC and RX with little relef. Now I wear surgical gloves at home 24/7 which seem to protect my poor fingers alittle and allow me to do chores. My fingers bleed and are really painful so I also use New Skin liquid as a barrier over the open areas. That stuff really burns when you first put it on but it is a good protective barrier once it drys. Hair loss seems to be very common- I buy wigs from the cancer society and have fun changing hair styles. I have fairly recently developed severe acne-type sores primarily on my head. They are very irritating, itchy and cause nasty exudate. I've tryed calamine lotion to dry it out, oral antibiotics work well and I'm now trying topical antibiotics--I'll see how it works. Well, you know...it's ALWAYS SOMETHING!

Comment from: davo45-54on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: November 03

severe acne and have only had 3 treatments so far and will start radiation next week i hope this works as i can barely stand looking at myself

Comment from: 65-71on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: June 03

dx in 03/06 w/stage 4 colon cancer this is my 3td treatment w/ this drug acne did start after the 1st treatment on nose and chin. started to lose hair in the hand fulls after the 2nd treatment. overall this is new for me then the prior chemo that I have completed. but the antibotics have dried up most of the acne. just have some sore spots on my head where the hair has left.

Comment from: 65-71on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: November 24

The drug caused severe acne the first time I was administered it. Subsequent dosing has led to less severe reactions, but I still have acne.

Comment from: MoLaube45-54on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: May 28

My husband almost died yesterday from a severe allergic reaction only seconds into his first treatment. After a short ambulance ride from the cancer center to the hospital, he was stabilized in ER & is now in intensive care & feeling better. They are concerned that he might have had heart damage & are currently doing a blood test every 6 hours hoping his level will stabilize or decline. Other than his oral cancer, he has been very healthy with no known allergies or other medical problems. Very scary.

Comment from: erbituxwidow45-54on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: November 05

My husband died two weeks ago following a severe allergic reaction which began immediately after the start of his first infusion. Erbitux is known for causing allergic reactions on the first dose, possibly related to a history of tick bites. Read up about this drug before you take it. For those with recurrent or metastatic head and neck cancer the extra time it buys is something on average of 10 weeks. 10 weeks we didn't get.

Comment from: cetuximab35-44on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: October 07

i am 16 months post treatment and have developed servere skin problins including hair loss. anyone had similar experiences. cancer has hopefully gone. all check ups have been good. but quality of life is very bad with the skin problem

Comment from: dw45-54on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: November 18

I am am Male diagnosed with phase 2 throat cancer in the tonsils. First few weeks on Erbitux were fine and then the acne kicked in. Doctors prescribed minocyline and it mostly cleared up. But by week 4 my gut was unable to take solid foods (lost 40 lbs during treatment) after treatment my gut was still bad and tests showed H.Pylori so this may have been present all along but early treatment would have made my conditions much less severe (Erbitux targets all mucosal cells). If you have stomach problems do not let your doctor ignore them as a course of Losec would likely have kept the H.Pylori and tender stomach at bay long enough to finish treatment. 4 weeks after Erbitux and radition are finished my gut is just starting to accept solids (after treatment for H.Pylori)though my mouth has taken this long to start to heal from the radiation. Still suffering from extreme dry mouth though this from what I was told before treatment is a result of damage to the salivary glands done by the radiation treament. The surface skin on my neck healed in record time likely due to a mixture of skin lotions and one in particular seemed to work wonders (called Natures Aid). I only wish I healed internally as quick! Going for a follow up CAT scan in 3 weeks so keeping my fingers crossed.

Comment from: P_ump165-71on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: July 11

This drug needs more testing.My husband had half a treatment when he started itching then could not breathe was taken by anbulance to hospital kept over night. then send home 2 days later had a stroke belived to have been caused by the reaction to this drug. was in hospital for 6 weeks transfered to rehab 2 days later passed away.Was horrible never was allergic to anything. this drug should be removed for now.

Comment from: 55-64on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: May 26

I came out in a severe rash all over my head and face, it felt like a bad sunburn and someone rubbing it with sandpaper all the time, it was very painfull for about 2 weeks, even the pain meds from my doc did not work

Comment from: on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: December 17

Nearly Killed my mother in law. After 1 treatment she was unable to walk with out assitance,was almost completly unresponsive. She had to be hospitalized for over a week. Please think long and hard about taking this drug. It is not as safe as tylenol as we were told. Its side effects are Not less than you have with tylenol! Do your reaserch as a family and make a well informed decison before taking this drug. Remember the goal is to improve your quailty of life not ruin it!

Comment from: 35-44on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: February 07

I had severe facial/scalp acne after loading dose and 1st treatment. Onc adjusted dose and that helped a lot. Still have rash on chest & back and some on face/neck, but very tolerable. The extremely dry skin and the splitting of the skin on fingers, toes, feet and legs is less tolerable, but my CEA has dropped in 4 months significantly for the first time in 1.5 yrs. It's worth it for me!

Comment from: loucaf55-64on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: February 05

Seems to work at holding cea count from getting higher but not improving the numbers, 4th week on it had the rash issue on face (especialy around the nose,cheek area), head and sholders but this has gotton better with a med(cream)the doctor gave me. Looks like my doctor will continue but don't know where ths is leading right now. I'm stage 4 colon which spread to my liver and lungs and this is what were dealing with now these areas two arears.

Comment from: Grandma Finally55-64on Treatment for 6 months to - 1 year Published: August 10

first 8 infusions caused shadowy area on PET that was needle biopsied cancer to disappear. Three months later PET showed hot spot in a different area, on my tongue, and after 7 infusions, the number value went down but it was still present so am taking more treatments.

Comment from: miparrot65-71on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: July 27

I have a stage 4 squamous cell sinus tumor. After 3 tx/s of the Erbitux I could see the tumor shrinking. I've had no problems with this drug.

Comment from: terry65-71on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: March 04

the rash is unreal

Comment from: gonolesmom55-64on Treatment for 6 months to - 1 year Published: November 30

Recd Erbitux for the past six months weekly. Also recd paclitaxol and carboplatin. Stopped two weeks ago for a much needed break. And side effects worse. Hair severely thin after one month and very weak with mild face rash etc. Now having cracking around most nail beds on hands only? Ulcers in mouth still bleeding and very painful! Never dreamed stopping drugs chemo.....etc would make me feel worse!

Comment from: rgrg55-64on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: August 24

I'm taking for mouth/throat cancer. The bad face acne is clearing after 3 wks with hydrocortizone. Cuticle skin is splitting and getting infected, dry skin is tolerable but extremely dry hands. Messing up my mouth badly. Thank God, tho, no nausea or heart side effects, so i rate this well.

Comment from: jaja65-71on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: October 23

had drug with radiation. Rash was inside and outside body. Tough to deal with. 2month post, gray eyebrows started growing dark brown and long/narley. mustache hair increased from barely there. 6month post, still have some rash new yet. headaches and mucous (bad smell).

Comment from: BILLYG75 or overon Treatment for 1-6 months Published: February 21

I HAVE HAD THE SKIN RASH MY DOCTOR GAVE MEDS TO PUT ON MY FACE I HAVE DOING THISERBITX FOR 4 MON. IN MARCH I WILL GET ANOTHER PET SCAN I HAD ONE 2MN.S AGO THE DOCTOR COULD NOT BELIVE WHAT WAS SEEIN. SO HE WANTED TO TALK TO MY ENT.IT LOOKS LIKE IT BROK IN 2 PEICES AN GOT SMALLER I HAD CANCER I HAD VOCL CORD CANCER THROAT CANCER HAVE BEEN TO THE FOOT DOCTOR HAD THEM CUT OPEN TO LET THE INFCTION OUT THAT REALLY HURT'I GUESS ITS HOW BAD YOU WANT TO LIVE I ALSO HAVE A TREACHI GUESS I WILL FOR EVER.THE REST OF MY LIFE I GET ERBITX ONCEWEEK SOI DO NO WHAT YOU ARE GOING THEW GET A GOOD DOCTOR ONE THAT CARE MINE IS THE BEST TC

Comment from: don m55-64on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: January 21

Took with alymta, ninth treatment experienced shortness of breath-went to emergecy room- now in hospital and still can't breath-on oxygen and no prognosis if lung damage is permanent-very dangerous with little benefit-i would never had use it if i thought it was so dangserous-i may die soon

Digestive Disorders: Common Misconceptions See Slideshow
Comment from: anxious75 or overon Treatment for 1-6 months Published: June 20

In Feb 09 I was DX with colon cancer that masticated to my lungs first and then to liver. I have been treated with various chemo drugs with out much effect. In Jan 2011 I was started on IV Chemo Drug Camptosar IV with Erbitux. I have experienced all the skin rash side effects listed in all the above reviews. However my CAE had been stabilized around 6.6 - 8.7. However, since being on Exbitux my CAE has increased dramatically over the last 4 months from 6.9 to 24.5. So far my Oncologist has not been able to determine why this is happening. Some reviewers above experienced just the opposite effect of Erbitux on their CAE numbers. This has me very concerned.

Comment from: 45-54on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: June 10

was treated 2 years ago for head & neck cancer. i had a severe reaction to my initial loading dose immediately. after pre medication was able to tolerate the next day. the second try a few weeks ago, i had a more severe reaction even with pre-meds. elevated blood pressure, oxygen saturation bottomed out, heart rate at 136bpm. had to give up on it because of risks.

Comment from: Anang25-34on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: September 22

There is another drug called Nimotuzumab that does the same thing as Erbitux, but does not cause any rashes or other skin conditions. The drug doesn't have to cause a rash to be effective. Nimo has not yet been approved in U.S. (going thru trials), but was just approved in Mexico. Already approved in India, China, and about 20 other countries. Just search for it on any search engine, you won't have trouble getting more info.

Comment from: 45-54 Published: September 17

The information above is required, but I have only had 3 treatments and am not sure how effective it is. I have rectal cancer. I have experienced extreme dry skin and acne on my face. Antibiotics and over the counter Proactiv seem to be helping and my face is getting better.

Comment from: Dave55-64on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: May 17

Because the caregivers felt that the tumor in my lung had actually started in the head/neck area this medication was prescribed. After four weekly injections a chest x-ray revealed the tumor was larger and the side effects included an ugly red rash from the waist on up, extreme acne which prompted a trip to the dermatology department, a numbness on the soles of both feet, a chronic dry mouth condition and changes in bowel movements. As this was going on it was getting more and more difficult to breath. The doctors made no mention of stopping this treatment and allowed it to continue for five more weekly sessions. Another chest x-ray showed the tumor was even larger than before and it was then that I said NO MORE ERBITUX!!! This medication messed up my body with no benefit whatsoever!! I am now

Comment from: JaxTastic25-34on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: April 15

I am taking Erbitux for NSCLC (lung cancer), am 30 years old. Not sure how effective it is, but if effectiveness is gauged by the severity of rash... this stuff works. I have rash all over my back, face, head, stomach and my skin is awfully thin. This is my maintenance drug so hopefully will not be on it forever because yeah it's kind of nasty on the fingernails/toenails. Besides that I look ugly and people think I am weird... compliments my baldness.