Eskalith

Comment from: angelkae25-34on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: November 07

I will be honest with you, I was scared to take Lithium - really scared. I think, in my thoughts, it confirmed I had a serious illness (as well as potential bad side effects) and so I avoided it - for as long as I could. It took a good hypomanic episode to convince me to try it. I did have some typical side effects; shaky hands, dry mouth, loss of short term memory and severe nausea. They all went away fairly quickly (the nausea was yuck..needed to space my doses)and they were more annoying than anything. Now, more than a yr later I am feeling more myself than I can remember since this illness first beset me. I feel clear headed and not weighted down. I can see beauty and enjoy it. I have more energy that lasts all day. I have a will to live and a mind that desires it. Thoughts of death are now rare. Thoughts of suicide began to disappear shortly after taking Lithium and an antidepressant. I look back to being first diagnosed and the hell that followed of trying to find the right blend of meds... to beginning Lithium... to today. I am so incredibly thankful for the medication and dear family who had the strength to get me to this point. I thank God for rescuing me. I am alive for a purpose and I aim to do good and live well. I have my life back. I know what true joy is. I am glad I took the chance to try Lithium.

Comment from: 35-44on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: August 24

I have been taking this medicine for about 18 months now. I have regular blood work done to determine dosage increase or decrease and liver function. And I have never been better. I still have moments of depression but they are manageable now instead of all consuming. The best part is that the nightmares, paranoia and spinning thoughts are gone. I've taken several other medicines that would work at first but within a month the symptoms would come back. But, the Lithium has saved my life!

Comment from: bipolarbear25-34on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: October 05

The lithium worked great for awhile, and then it shut down my thyroid. I became sluggish and suddenly gained 20 pounds. I had to stop taking it immediately

Comment from: 25-34on Treatment for 6 months to - 1 year Published: January 07

This medication was a life saver for me! I started taking it while I was hospitalized for an attempted suicide. I was still taking my other medications but they obviously were not cutting it for me! I have been handling my disorder very well ever since lithium came into my life.

Comment from: ansdad35-44on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: October 29

Found medication very effect, but side effects were difficult. It spiked my blood pressure, requiring medication. Frequent thirst and urination; loss of focus and memory, shaking and fine motor difficulties, and fatigue.

Comment from: [email protected] Treatment for 1-6 months Published: January 02

I was very afraid to try this drug, but now I am very glad that I trusted my Doc- I feel a huge difference in how I feel everyday.My mood swings are happening less and less, and that makes me happy, but it makes my fiance especially happy to see me better.

Comment from: 25-34 Published: May 11

I have a friend who has been on Lithium for 33 years and it has worked great for her. Unfortunately, she just found out that her kidneys are only functioning at 19% due to her use of the drug. The doctor informed her that it is a highly toxic drug and this can happen. She had never been told this in the 33 years of taking Lithium. She is now nearing the point of being in need of a kidney transplant, as well as being in the process of a new medication to treat her bipolar. It is heartbreaking to say the least. Please discuss all of the possible risks with your doctor before choosing this medication.

Comment from: MIBLDWN25-34on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: September 25

I HAVE BEEN HUNGRIER AND FREQUENT URINATION THATS IT

Comment from: 19-24on Treatment for 6 months to - 1 year Published: August 14

When,I first started taking Lithium for my bi-polar disorder; I would take my med. in the morning, but i found out that if I take the lithium at night time before bed, I feel 10xs better(mood swings controlled).

Comment from: 25-34on Treatment for 6 months to - 1 year Published: February 26

I have not had a single major episode since beginning lithium treatment 7 months ago--the longest I've gone in years. However, some of the side effects are kicking in. I initially had a severe outbreak of acne when I first started (and each time my dose was increased) but that's stabled out. Now, I pee ALL THE TIME, I'm constantly tired and I'm gaining weight--15 lbs so far. I still feel as though it's worth it but the weight gain worries me.

Comment from: Stan45-54on Treatment for 10+ years Published: July 31

I have been on lithium since '94, since I was diagnosed with BPD. I have gained about 35 pounds since I began taking the drug. I suppose that is a small price to pay, to be on the same planet as everyone else. I do not wish to experience another manic episode.

Comment from: 25-34on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: April 09

I was recently diagnosed with bipolar type II. I tried one other medication prior to lithium and was not feeling exceptionally great. My Dr. swears by lithium, he wanted me to try that as my first med., which I rather have tried it as a last resort. Been on lithium for about 8 days now and, honestly, I've never been more depressed in my life. I take it 3x a day and cry all day. It makes me sooooo hungry, and tired. It's probably not the best med for me, due to the fact that I've battled an eating disorder for 15 years. I didn't experience any symptoms of the disorder returning when I was on the other medication, so I probably should of stayed on that, but my doctor insisted lithium was best. I'm sure it works for some, but all I want to do is get off of it, and find what works best for me.

Published: January 04

I had a very difficult time with this medication. Although it did help my bipolar mania, it caused me to gain a significant amount of weight. I felt like my mind was in a fog and became lethargic. The side effects of this medication outweight its effectiveness for me.

Comment from: moving on55-64on Treatment for 5-10 years Published: February 07

used 7 yrs 80-86, felt too controlled, stopped using it. restarted 2 1/2 yrs ago (2005-present) it has helped me but 1200 mg brings bouts of diaharria (?) & 900 mg is possibly too low with suicide ideation. Night sweats are very infrequent, and at both levels, concentration is difficult, stm (short term memory) is terrible. now long term memory seems to be worse. I do not like this drug, it makes my urine stink badly and I feel lethargic at times and do not enjoy life as much as I feel like I'm in a haze almost a lite fog. NO highs and NO lows = NO LIFE. Hope this can help others relate... ps ex spouse was happy when I was on this, afraid of me when not on it. never threatened her once in 35+ yrs when on or off, go figure...

Comment from: Stephanief21925-34on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: December 14

VERY FEW MOOD SWINGS!! HAPPY-HAPPY JOY-JOY

Comment from: 25-34on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: March 15

I started this following a suicide attempt and becoming even more depressed from Cymbalta. I noticed improvement within a couple of days. I have been on it for about a month now and am doing much better. No extreme mood swings. I cry now only when there is something sad and I don't cry for just any reason.

Comment from: 25-34on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: February 23

works great but has caused alot of stomache problems even with long use also caused sever weight gain

Comment from: 55-64 Published: April 21

I have taken this for the better part of 40 years. One dissatisfaction I have is being too level or unemotional.

Comment from: 25-34on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: March 31

I would not recomed this med to people i had several side effects seeing things that were not there anexity problems phobias felt like my brain was bleeding and blood gushing everwhere i would NOT take again there are better meds available that dont require a blood test to see if med turns toxic in your bloodstream

Comment from: marjaliane55-64on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: September 22

This is the second time I have been on Lithium. Once you get used to how the medication works, you will possibly find the,"benefits DO out weight the risk." I have had very few episodes since I have been on this medicine.

Comment from: blaisesmama35-44on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: March 20

I started out hating the thought of medication. As time past I found that I didn't want to be with out it. It makes managing the day much easier.

Comment from: jjuliexrginA45-54on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: August 24

I took the medicine as prescribed by my Doc. 4 days later I had no idea who I was I went to my neighbors to ask him if he had seem my sick. My lithium level was well over 2250. I honesty thoought I was dying.I was totally terrified. Will never take it again. All I can say is I''''m happy to be alive.

Comment from: Becky35-44on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: May 28

I am so glad to see at least one other reviewer mention that she/he experienced severe depression and thoughts of suicide. I had 1-2 months where almost every minute was consumed with suicidal thoughts. I was scared and couldn't recognize how bad it was at the time. I hate this drug and am glad that my new psych. (I finally sought a second opinion) prescribed Lamictal and Buprorien. This combination has allowed me to finally be productive and stable. I have a normal level of energy and have had no serious thoughts of suicide. I am also taking Seroquel which has helped with anxiety and insomnia. If you are experiencing these side effects, talk with your doctor about new meds or find someone new.

Learn to Spot Depression: Symptoms, Warning Signs, Medication See Slideshow
Comment from: 19-24on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: April 09

I was just diagnosed with Bipolar last week, and I've been on lithium for about a week now. My mood swings are back in control, but I've been eating NONSTOP and sleeping NONSTOP. I've had to eat 4-5 MEALS a day and I'm still hungry, even when I sleep through class, take naps after class, and do not wake up if you try to get me up. The way it is working for my mood is incredible, but the side effects are awful. And I pee constantly, with awful odor. Overall, I'm definitely going to find something new.

Comment from: klmchara1445-54on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: November 25

This is my first time. No really bad side effects. Sometimes my hands shake a little but then stop. It has helped me with my Bi-Polar a great deal!

Comment from: james45-54on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: October 21

i suffered from manic for most of adult life. at age 48 i was diagnosed and treated, feeling 500% better now for 5 months

Comment from: 78-99945-54on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: March 20

this is my first time on, I'm extremely happy to have moods stabilized, side effects minimal, very happy to be without episode& suicidal thoughts.feel slight lack of focus, only been on 2 wks, I have been & know I will be very happy with lithium. YES!thank God I found the right med. I now have a purpose in life & plan to fulfill it.

Comment from: rebecca35-44on Treatment for 6 months to - 1 year Published: November 22

this is my second time on this drug. the 1st time i become suicidal,took 6 other meds and ended up stopping all. Had such massive rage and depression was put back on it. didnt want to take lithium again but honestly it has worked this time. i do take another drug as well to help. the side effects are weird but am dealing with them. well see, scared to not be on something. good luck. :)

Comment from: 25-34on Treatment for 5-10 years Published: June 18

Keeps me stable, but has a ton of side affects, acne is horrible and a I've gained so much weight. I'm starting to believe that it was not worth it to be on this medication at all.

Comment from: polarbear10125-34on Treatment for 10+ years Published: March 30

I’ve had manic-depressive illness since age 13. I’m now about 27 years old. I’ve found Lithium is the most effective drug for me. I’ve tried many other drugs with poor results. I find the classic drugs like Lithium to be most effective. Weight gain is inevitable, so I exercise a great deal of the day, everyday. Many of the side effects people are complaining about are inevitable with any Bi-Polar drug. They all limit and cause cognitive impairment.

Comment from: 35-44on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: March 11

I have never been so stable. Yes it does destroy your stomach and must be monitored with lab work but in all its good. Now we are waiting for my thyroid to go wacko (yes another side effect.)

Comment from: Tom K25-34on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: September 09

I was diagnosed Bipolar about a year ago, before that i took other street drugs that masked the symptoms, but in the end made it worse. After 2 hospital stays in the psych ward in a month, i was put on an extreme amount of depakote as a mood stabilizer. I became violent and would have mental blackouts, so i took myself off the med. Ive been on lithium for about 3 mos. i take 900 mg/day. Except for having a cloudy head, moderate insomnia, and feeling useless around the house and with the kids, I accredit the fact that im still alive to the lithium. So the side effects are a small price to pay.

Comment from: pshyco6735-44on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: January 04

I dont have alot of depression or moodswing disorders anymore and im not having any thoughts of hurting myself or anyone else.

Comment from: polly20535-44on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: December 31

i became allergic to lithium eventually.

Comment from: Leeon Treatment for 2-5 years Published: October 12

Lithium is a dangerous drug but I take it because it helps to stabilize my bipolar depression and it has prevented my cluster headaches. I will not take a strong dose.

Comment from: 13-18on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: August 28

Since taking it i have no suisidal thoughts or self hamring urges. do i still have my mood swings, from bipolar disorder, i'm no longer depressed

Comment from: 45-54on Treatment for 5-10 years Published: December 27

Published: September 21

Comment from: HAMJEFF35-44on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: December 18

SINCE TAKING THE LITHIUM, I HAVE NOTICED THAT I NO LONGER HAVE THE SEVERE MOOD SWINGS AND IM GENERALLY HAPPIER NOW. I DO HOWEVER HAVE SOME OF THE SIDE AFFECTS LIKE DROWSINESS, FREQUENT URINATION AND INCREASED THIRST. BUT WITH THE SIDE AFFECTS AND HOW MUCH BETTER I FEEL, I THINK ILL DEAL WITH THAT.

Comment from: Arcticblast45-54on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: September 22

I have only been on Lithium 300mg three times a day for about one month and I would not recomd it it to anyone, the side effects that I am still having are confusion,muscle twitches,tremors,hallucinations,cardiac arrithmia,incresed urination,gastrointestinal problems,drowsiness,seizures,ras,difulculty swalling,loss of cordination,vertigo,weight gain,tics,porr memory,weakness,double vision,tired all the time.I am really frightning.

Comment from: [email protected] Treatment for 2-5 years Published: September 26

Lithium is good for my head but it hurts my stomach and gives me the runs all the time. It also leave a taste in my mouth. I wont ever go off it.

Comment from: Silly Boy45-54on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: March 01

Lithium has been the most effective treatment for my bi-polar mania. All of the alternatives like valproate and atypical-antipsychotics had me thinking about what was worse, the disease or the cure. At a 1.0 lithium level, I am symptom free-on both the high and low side of the emotional spectrum. My only side effects are a metallic taste in my mouth that Altoids takes away and if it is hot and I get exerted with not enough water I feel really dehydrated and flush.

Comment from: JESTEP4335-44on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: April 09

IT SEEMED LIKE EVERYTHING WAS GOOD NO SIDE EFFECTS NOT TIRED NO WEIGHT GAIN, MORE MOTIVATED

Comment from: katie35-44on Treatment for 10+ years Published: January 14

I take 450mg three times a day. My urine is EXTREMLY STRONG SMELLING. I have tryed to find information about this issue without success. where can I find this information?

Comment from: lady19-24on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: November 01

well if i would stay on it i would be great but my bipolar disease has taken over and the medicine makes me sick and i dont wanna take it and im only 21.

Comment from: 45-54on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: May 09

Has cut my suicidal fantasies drastically. Used to think of suicide between 25 and 300 times a week. Now it is between 0 and 5 times a week. Has evened out my sleep as well which got really bad on lamictal and latuda. Have more energy and look forward to stuff too now. No adverse side effects yet on it for three months.

Comment from: anonymous35-44on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: March 10

Since I have been taking lithium i have been depressed everyday with bouts of crying and when not crying just feeling awful. I have noticed minor problems with excessive saliva and other things which could be accentuating my other troubles I have, but the depression horrible. I am going to ask my doctor to fully take me off of it and find something else.

Comment from: 19-24on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: December 20

This has made my moods more stable then any other medication they have tried. The only thing I dislike about it is the water weight you gain from it.

Comment from: nordic2825-34on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: August 09

It is a natural salt, but you have to be careful not to get lithium toxicity. weight gain too, so if you work out to stay in shape you could get lithium toxicity too.

Comment from: t.stipe107825-34on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: April 05

I am new to the bipolar disorder,however, I have been on several different medications and I just do not even know what right for me anymore. I have so many highs and lows nothing has seemed to help for me. I've been on Lithium now for almost a week and today I didn't even get out of bed until 4pm. I called into work. I hope this drug works for me. I'm tired of being a gineu pig!!!!!

Comment from: 13-18on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: November 22

i have been changing meds constantly since ive been told i have bipolar. after 6 different non effective meds, the mhu dr finally put me on lithium, i have never felt so stable in my entire life. this is the only drug that i can say has really worked for me. the benifits greatly outweigh the side effects and potential risks.

QUESTION

Depression is a(n) __________ . See Answer
Comment from: julie45-54on Treatment for 10+ years Published: October 05

It makes ne have dry heaves a lot, there are days there's a total funny feeling in my head-I can't really explain it-maybe cloudy-on those days its very hard to function, I cry alot, I'm afraid to drive. I can tell the minute I wake up I can tell if it's going to be that kind of day. I never sleep good, sometimes going without sleep almost 3 day at a time. I hate lithium-my dr. won't change it though. What is the difference between bi-polar depression and manic depression? I don't have the high-highs and low-lows; I'm either fine or sad-which most of the time occurs when I don't sleep

Comment from: [email protected] Treatment for less than 1 month Published: July 26

I have been on Lithium for 10 days and been dealing with By polar for 20 years, It has been a battle since day one, I still feel out of control

Comment from: 55-64on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: July 21

I feel physically and emotionally drained by late afternoon. Finding it very "depressing" to have gained 25 lbs., even though I am active and teach part-time, and walk my dogs 3/day. My Dr. says 'It's a small price to pay for feeling better." I don't agree. He will not change the meds. Iam glad the depression is in remission,but I do not like walking around feeling like a hot air balloon about to burst!!!Hope this helps.

Comment from: jt8835-44on Treatment for 6 months to - 1 year Published: January 18

i switched to lithium after experiencing many side effects on topomax i am doing very well now.

Comment from: SADIEANN35-44on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: November 03

WHILE BEING DIAGONESED WITH BP I HAVING BEEN TAKING THIS FOR 3 YEARS NOW AND AFTER MY BODY IS USE TO IT IAM FINE BUT I DO HAVE THE ANIXIETY THAT GOES WITH IT AND I HAVENT HAD AN ATTACK FOR 1.5 NOW WHICH IS GREAT

Comment from: 35-44on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: December 14

Comment from: 13-18on Treatment for 6 months to - 1 year Published: September 12

Comment from: nancy45-54on Treatment for 6 months to - 1 year Published: March 02

My Doctor raised my amount taken daily from 450mg to 900 a day. Severe Watery stools, whole digestive track went haywire. But it kept the episodes under control.

Comment from: cynderella4235-44on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: March 01

Since I began using Lithium only 3 weeks ago, I don't really know if it is helping. The psyciatrists that prescribed it says it may take up to 3 weeks to get the full affect. I have had some tremondous nausea, dizziness and hand tremors since taking it and am on a low dose of 450mg once a day. I am satisfied with this medication b/c this is the first time being prescribed or actually diagnosed by a phsyciatrist since I now look back over the last 22 years and see the drastic symptoms. So, I'm happy I'm on the right track now.

Comment from: tatertotbabii13-18on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: December 11

i'm 15 and was diagnosed with bipolar depression. my suicidal thoughts have increased severely. i feel sluggish and sore all the time and can barely get up for school. along side of all that i experience diahrea and currently constipation and extreme tremors and can hardly walk i've been so dizzy. i do not reccomend this medication

Comment from: BRITTNEY SMITH19-24on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: July 06

IT HELPS TO COPE VERY WELL BUT SIDE EFFECTS ARE VERY BAD.

Comment from: kar3221035-44on Treatment for 6 months to - 1 year Published: December 21

I have been taking this RX since Feb.08'. I seems to be helping. I have noticed on the dayd that I have missed taking it that I have felt all the warning signs of an episode to a certain extent.

Comment from: ginger45-54on Treatment for 10+ years Published: September 13

i feel sometimes i need to balance everything out to much. like watch being in the sun and how much im drinking

Comment from: 45-54on Treatment for 10+ years Published: July 04

Comment from: Jerry45-54on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: May 09

Comment from: 55-64on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: December 04

i take this medicine

Comment from: jennifer35-44 Published: April 19

Jana hasn't started it yet but is currently taking Paxil and depekote and has been told that she SHOULD take lithium with it. The question is does this sound right 2 mood stablizers?

Comment from: happygolucky25-34on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: February 03

I've only been taking the Lithium for about 2 weeks now, but I notice the side effects almost immed. I take 300mg twice a day, 1 in the morning and 1 at night. The 1 in the morning runs me down til about lunchtime when I can get something energy related into me. for the most part thats the sucky part b/c being at work I have to be focused not falling asleep at me desk which I've done a few time already :( My boss has made comments but I'm doing this for me not him. I can only hope the side effects ease so that it doesn't conflict with my job. Overall I say give it a shot if you have episodes like me or don't like leaving the house or like to harm others then Lithium may work for you. So far it's working for me.

Comment from: bob65-71on Treatment for 10+ years Published: July 17

Comment from: MOOEY19-24on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: July 08

EXCELENT!!!! !!)

Comment from: steves [email protected] Treatment for less than 1 month Published: January 13

I WAS RECENTLY PRESCRIBED (3 DAYS AGO) THIS MEDUCATION, AS I WAS PREVIOUSLY GIVEN ELEVIL & PAXIL FOR THE PAST (6) MOS WHICH DID NOT HELP ME.

Comment from: emmylouwho35-44on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: November 12

I began taking lithium once I was diagnosed with Bipolar II disorder. I have been on the drug consistently for over a year in a half. In regard to mood stabilization, I have not experienced a hypo-manic episode since the onset of treatment. I have, however, experienced many depressive episodes. I don't attribute this to the medication. After a trial and error phase with my prescriber, we found that Latuda works the best with my depression. The only side effects that I regularly face is extreme thirst and excessive urination. I was taking my dose with dinner, shortly before bedtime and my sleep patterns were erratic, waking up around 4 to 5 times a night. Now I am taking my dose with breakfast, I am still thirsty and urinating frequently, however I am not trying to sleep so it's a win in that category. The lithium doesn't zap my energy nor make me feel drowsy. Overall, I would say that this medication has been incredibly helpful with stabilizing my mood. My only complaint with the lithium/latuda combo, I have a non-existent sex drive.

Comment from: gloria45-54on Treatment for 10+ years Published: June 26

I am bipolar and took lithium for 18years. lithium caused my kidneys to fail. After three years in dialysis I received a kidney transplant. If you are considering taking this medication I strongly recommend that you look into an alternative medication. Although kidney failure is a rare side effect it does occur.

Comment from: gloria45-54on Treatment for 10+ years Published: June 26

I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder when I was 18 yrs, old. I took lithium for 18 yrs. This medication caused me to develop hypothyroidism and kidney failure. After three years in dialysis I was lucky to receive a kidney transplant. I strongly recommend that anyone considering taking lithium for bipolar disorder should look for an alternative treatment. Although kidney failure is a rare side effect, it does occur. Losing the function of your kidneys is terrible thing to live with.

Comment from: glo45-54on Treatment for 10+ years Published: June 26

I took lithium for 18 yrs. I had a few manic and depressive episodes during those years but the most part it kept me stable. However, because of the lithium I developed hypothyroidism and kidney failure.. This happened mostly because my psychiatrist at the time did not monitor my blood levels adequately. After three years in dialysis I was lucky to get a kidney transplant. I'm taking seroquel now and it's been very effective as my maintenance therapy. I wish I had never taken lithium. Anyone considering taking lithium should really think it over and explore alternative medications or a least make sure that your blood levels are monitored properly. Although the risk of developing kidney failure is small, it does happen.

Comment from: KtBuff25-34on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: May 31

I have BPD TypeI, and been on Lithium along with my other meds for ~1.5 yrs. it has been the easiest, most effective mood stabilizer, with the least amount of side effects, for me. However I do experience the hand tremors and lack of focus, even w my ADD meds. Yet agreed, small price to pay for living a roller coaster free life. I am so much more even keeled and rational in thought processes than ever before. I am a satisfied Eskalith 450 mg consumer.:)

Comment from: 45-54on Treatment for 10+ years Published: November 12

Comment from: Lithum45-54on Treatment for 10+ years Published: November 12

Lithum has saved my life. Without it I would not be here. I have been on it for over 10 years. Is my Bi-polar under control? Yes and No. As long as I stay on my meds I am okay. But without this drug I would not be here. This medication saved my life!

Comment from: 55-64on Treatment for 10+ years Published: June 18

Comment from: redcat45-54on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: February 16

I had to take wellbutrin with lithium to take me out of a depression. Now after three years i have been having more depressions and they last longer. Any suggestions.

Comment from: happy45-54on Treatment for 5-10 years Published: January 31

I have been able to function very well on lithium after a manic episode 8 years ago. To this point I have not had any negative side effects!

Comment from: ljcress45-54on Treatment for 6 months to - 1 year Published: November 27

I cant tell if its working or not. I take antidepressants and anxiety meds so its hard to tell.

Comment from: Lithium 35-44on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: November 08

This medication works great for headache, but the formulary needed to be changed with the Red Dye, which can cause hyperactivity in the brain.

Comment from: me19-24on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: October 25

Comment from: georgie girl45-54on Treatment for 10+ years Published: September 08

I have been using lithium for 23 years for depression. I tried 3-4 other anti-depressants before lithium, but they weren't so helpful. For me using it, in combination with peer counseling and other supports has really helped me manage my depression. I am concerned about the long term effects - i am now taking thyroid supplements and am concerned about the kidney/diabetes issues. Overall - i'll never forget how fast acting it was for me - used it for a couple of days, and suddenly was able to have some optimistic thoughts...very powerful.

Comment from: 1Pepper2645-54on Treatment for 6 months to - 1 year Published: July 12

The Lithium left a BAD taste in my mouth. I tried everything from gum to mouthwash several times a day, It was so bad I just couldn't take it anymore. It was worst first thing in the morning. I tried it with a full meal, no help. With extra water, no help. I have not read where anyone else had this issue.

Comment from: jules13-18on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: March 20

Im 13 and have been on mood pills since i was 7...abiliy made me gain alot of wiegh...geodon made me always sllepy..and nothing else worked..lithium works well but i do not like some of the side effects like bed wetting..and constantly having to watch my level..other than that its really affective

Comment from: aggietech35-44on Treatment for 5-10 years Published: February 07

I've taken Lithium as part of my medication regimine for 9 years and to this day don't know what its suppose to do or whether its doing what its suppose to or not.

Comment from: 13-18on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: January 13

my child has bad mood swings.

Comment from: 25-34on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: December 24

Comment from: 55-64 Published: December 12

Comment from: ssdmqs55-64on Treatment for 10+ years Published: May 29

I used to us dualith lithuim with great sucess . I am on generic lithium and find it poor in results Been on Durilith for 10 years. Marked sustantial improvement and would like to see it available again.

Comment from: MARYLEE9530735-44on Treatment for 10+ years Published: May 09

DR.REMOVED LITHIUM REPLACED IT WITH LAMECTAL 200MG, SEROQUEL 600MG ETENOLO 50 MG ESTRADIOL 1MG. BIPOLAR II MANIC/MANIA/PARANOYA NOW IN HOSPITAL

Comment from: Helena13-18on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: April 14

I was overdosed on Lithium by my doctor and was kicked out of school because of it.

Comment from: 35-44on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: March 18

Comment from: janicass55-64on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: February 22

only day 2