Exelon

Comment from: emason, 55-64 on Treatment for 10+ years Published: February 06

My mother has been taking Exelon since it was introduced to the market. Over 15 yrs. of taking Exelon has allowed her to maintain a good lifestyle. I always recommend Exelon to anyone who is affected by the Alzheimer's.

Related Reading: exelon

Comment from: TURBOYAYA, 65-74 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: October 06

MY MOTHER WAS PUT ON THIS AND WITHIN 2 WEEKS WE SAW A SCARY DIFFERENCE. SHE BEGAN TO LOOSE MORE MEMORY AND OR BECOME MORE INCOHERENT AND THEN SHE STARTED GETTING WEEK UNTIL THE POINT OF FALLING ON THE KITCHEN FLOOR. WE TOOK HER OFF IMEDIATELY.

Comment from: blossom9995, 75 or over on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: March 07

My 89 year old grandmother took this medication and it improved her qulity of life quite significantly. She began refusing to see the perscribing dr., when the med ran out there was a marked change, reduced energy and loss of interest in most things. I'd say it works

Comment from: I Knew That, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: September 09

I retired from my law practice after being diagnosed with moderate cognative impairment. A year ago my doctor put me on exelon plus namenda plus various vitamins and minerals. I feel far more competent, and my memory is much better. I am glad I retired because I still cannot take stress and my judgment is poor, but for me, this drug has made a huge difference in my own assessment of how much I am impaired. I began to get itchy on the back of my neck, where i wear the patch, awhile ago but the itching went away after i started washing the area more carefully each day. I have been experiencing some bowelo issues which my GP attributes to the exelon, but they are not too bad so far.

Related Reading: exelon | namenda | vitamins

Comment from: Snow, 65-74 on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: June 06

My husband has been using Exelon for over 3 yrs. He is now taking Namenda with it. They are both helping

Related Reading: namenda

Comment from: shawtown, 55-64 on Treatment for 5-10 years Published: August 19

My husband was diognosed 8 years ago. He has beenon 6mg of exelon twice a day and 10mg namenda twice a day. Recently he has been alittle more agitated and his neurologist increased his exelon to 9mg twice a day. The Dr. stated that in Europe this increase has helped. My husband has been quite abit calmer with no side affects noted so far.

Comment from: brb, 75 or over on Treatment for 10+ years Published: December 31

My mother and my father both took this patch; different dosages for years. My father passed away,but my mom is still taking it. She tried to use up my father's dosages 9.5 mg, but it made her hallucinate, flu symptoms, etc. Changed back to lower dosage and doing fine. Only side effect, is the redness and sometimes itchiness of the skin after removing patch. Using alcohol wipes have made those problems disappear.

Related Reading: flu

Comment from: exelon, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: April 03

My mother began taking this medication and she began to forget more. Going to her dr in the morning and have them change her medication.

Comment from: Karen, 75 or over on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: April 13

My mother was diagnosed with Alzheimers about 8 - 10 years ago. She has taken Aricept and Namenda with no benefits that we could tell. She has worn the Exelon patch for almost two years and she has improved in many ways. She is now able to feed herself again and she is very cheerful. She cannot carry on conversation, but loves to talk and smile. The Exelon has made her caregiving much easier. I cannot say enough good things about the drug.

Related Reading: aricept | exelon patch | caregiving

Comment from: worldpeace, 65-74 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 18

I was on the patch for a month. At first I noticed a slight redness under the patch after a day. It got progresivly iritated and extremely itchy. I quit after a month.

Comment from: 75 or over Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 07

The patch is a godsend. Time release - 4.6 mg. patch starter dose worked temporarily. Seemed to time out in afternoon. The 9.5 mg. patch worked terrifically for 24 hrs - but fell asleep too often during the day. Both are extremely expensive - and I ended up with the 'priced right' time release 4.5mg pill which got me through the whole day. Godsend medication though. (For Lews Body Dementia)

Related Reading: dementia

Comment from: Ginger, 75 or over Female on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: March 12

My mother is taking Exelon oral. This is her second week. My father dispenses his medications t0 her. Her doctor said to give her 1 pill a day for a week, and then 2 pills a day. He gave her 2 pills at one time and it caused her to get sick, weak, clammy, diarrhea. Then, I read the lable which said to take it twice a day. I believe that is why she had the reaction. I was in the doctor's office when he said to increase it to 2 pills a day. On the prescription it says to take twice a day. He did not read this. Doctors should be sure to explain exactly how to take this drug when you are at the appointment. Especially with older people to whom this drug is usually given. We will try giving it twice a day. She got along fine with the once a day dose. Doctors should be explicit in the office. Especially when an older person will be dispencing it. Even write it down so that the patient and caregiver will have the right instructions. That could prevent problems such as this. My father is the principle caregiver. Age 89. I will fill out the rest of this form as Him.

Related Reading: exelon | diarrhea

Comment from: Paul, 75 or over on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: April 29

Exelon patch can be a death sentence. Have pharmacist check for all interactions with other drugs being taken. This drug is a bad choice for anyone with heart problems, or on heart medications. Your doctor will probably not tell you the severe risks possible with this drug.

Related Reading: exelon patch

Comment from: alice, 75 or over (Patient) Published: July 14

i have never taken this drug but want to investigate if it is right for me.

Comment from: barbara, 75 or over on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: December 30

started on Exelon due to increased memory loss, dosage gradually increased to 1.3 mg twice a day. Improvement in memory, concentration noted by family for 3 months then stopped. In December my neurologist increase dosage to 3mg 3 times a day so hopefully this will work again. my oonly problems were nausea an d insomnia. nausea was helped by taking with food.

Related Reading: insomnia

Comment from: margoni, 65-74 on Treatment for 5-10 years Published: January 15

My husband has been taking 6mg of Exelon twice a day for at least 5 years. He also takes 10mg Namenda twice a day. They both have helped him. We tried the Exelon patch and it did not work as well for him.

Related Reading: namenda

Comment from: nannydeck, 65-74 on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: September 07

the patient is happier, and more sensible with exalon. he suffers from delusions which are worse with other treatments. he still has delusions, but they're not as frightening. He follows instructions better also.

Comment from: 75 or over Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year Published: January 02

The drug worked good but drooling was a big problem. It was very embrassing to patient.

Comment from: todd, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: June 07

I thought My Mom was towards the end of life. Hospice now coming to house the excelon patch script ran out. After 2 weeks without the patch she is walking better, not falling asleep all day and talking. ( we do not understand what she is saying still ) . Would not recommend it at all.

Related Reading: hospice

Dementia, Alzheimer's Disease, and Aging Brains See Slideshow
Comment from: Leslee , 25-34 (Patient) Published: November 20

I use Exelon for Narcolepsy. It helps me just as much as stimulants, if not better!

Related Reading: exelon | narcolepsy

Comment from: Female Published: February 27

HOW COME IT IS POSSIBLE THAT A PRO ACTIVE ACHETYL CHOLINE DRUG COULD REMAIN WITHOUT INTERFERENCE WITH ACTIVITIES OF L DOPA , WHICH IS ALSO USED IN PD