Exelon Patch

Comment from: 75 or over on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 14

After 6 days of applying the 9.5 mg/24 hrs. Exelon TD patch (1 per day), a rash apppeared on the arms. It developed into a very serious condition with the rash over most of the body. Use of the patch started on 12/03/07 and was terminated after one week. It is now 1/14/08 and we cannot get the rash under control. We have been to a dermatologist who took a skin biopsy. All that he could conclude is that the rash is from an allergic reaction. We discontinued all other medications shortly after the rash appeared which included Cozaar, Detrol LA and Levothyroxin. Prior to Exelon, Aricept was used, 5 mg. We have filed our report directly with Novaris. Obviously, they cannot give out any information as to why the reaction is so severe. They did ask for other meds used at the same time and asked for the Lot # as well as the strength.

Related Reading: exelon | rash | cozaar

Comment from: KellyS, 75 or over on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: October 18

My Mom is 75 and has been using the lowest dose 4.5? for about 6 weeks. She puts on a new patch at 8 PM every night. She reports very vivid dreams when she first doses off, but no other side effects at all. I think her very short term memory has improved just enough that she doesn't get nearly as agitated and frustrated about the little things she encounters on a daily basis. I think it is unreasonable for manufacturer to expect a patient with dementia to not place a patch on same spot for 14 days. I made her a chart for this week listing a different location for each day of the week. Hopefully that will help. For patients experiencing lethargy, try changing time of day that new patch is put on. Effectiveness of patch is supposed to be better than oral.

Related Reading: dementia

Comment from: hubby2, 65-74 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: June 02

My 64 year old wife wore the patches for 2.5 weeks then developed terribly itchy red spots at the sites where it was placed according to instructions. She could not then tolerate the constant itching so bad she could not sleep well! It did seem to help her memory, but the itching was too much to put up with for her.

Comment from: Frances, 75 or over on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: August 20

After my 82 yr old mother wore the patch for 2 weeks, she became so confused she could not figure out what end of the telephone to talk in, which end of the fork to eat with.. Her awareness dropped to the point of not being able to locate the bathroom in the home she has lived in for 30+ yrs. Have spoken to several others who have had the same issues and we have now taken her off the patch. None of these things was a problem before starting on the patch. Her Dr recommended it because of a slight memory loss but the patch caused total confusion to the point she was not safe in her own home.

Comment from: pagal, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: January 10

i put this on my 85 yr old father--it works great for his paranoia & memory--having alot of red welts & bad itching tho!

Comment from: [email protected], 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: July 23

My Mother is 90 and was using aricept 5 mg but started having vivid dreams after 8 months. I started her on the 4.6 mg patch in the morning each day and after almost 2 weeks, she was so lethargic all she wantedx to do was sit in her chair, she is normally very active. He Dr. stopped the patch and after 1 week, she is much improved with more energy.

Related Reading: aricept

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: November 18

My mother's memory has improved and the paranoia that is associated with dementia has decreased.

Comment from: Joseph R.T , 75 or over Female on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: May 29

I FIND MY[HUSBAND] SEEMS TO COME ALIVE ABOUT 3 0R 4 IN THE AFTERNOON AND SEEMS TO BE BETTER NATURED AND MORE ALERT AND MEMORY IS MUCH BETTER BUT NEVER WANTS TO GO TO BED BUT WANTS TO SLEEP ALL DAY.hIS PATCH CHANGE IS 8P.M.HE IS NEAR HIS 3RD MONTH.FIRST 4.5MG & 3RD.WK.OF 9.5MG.He felt dizzy a couple of days when he started the medication but doesn't have problems now.His appetite is very poor.He is 87years old and weight flutuates between 109 and 111 lbs.His normal weight was 125-135 lbs.Is the patch more or less effective than pill form?

Comment from: gajap211, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: May 31

I was sick as a dog. It was so much like morning sickness. Even the smell of food made me run. Even a pix in a magazine would make me sick. I will NEVER take this medication again/

Comment from: caregiver1243, 75 or over on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: July 23

I have a home health patient on this that is like a member of my family we spend so much time today. It has worked pretty well for her. I didn't really believe it would work when the doctor was telling me about it but it does. I never knew her before the dementia set in but she is laughing more and just as sweet as ever. She is remembering things and doing things she has never done before. Adverse effects she was experiences is a decrease in appetite, some nausea, and vivid dreams. Some negatives about the med is the fact that it can't be the same spot for 14 days. The days I don't work this is very hard for it. Also it is hard to get the sticky residue off once I remove the patches. Overall, seems to be working good!

Related Reading: dementia

Comment from: Allzee, 75 or over on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: August 03

I am 81 and was diagnosed with mild cognitive impairment 3 months ago. I began with the 4.5 patch for 30 days without any side effects. Have now used 9.5 patch for additional 75 days without side effects. I feel that my short term memory has improved in my bridge game but do not have a way to quantify this. My doctor recommended taking a foreign language and I have increased my vocabulary by 400 words in past 3 months so I feel really good about memory retention.

Comment from: pat, 75 or over Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year Published: April 20

My 91 year old father started with the 4.6mg/24hr patch for 3 months, then increased to 9.5mg/24hr patch for the past 3 months. From the start, it seemed to improve his demeaner - not so argumentive - and much more social. My problem is the welts the patch leaves on his back. I now put cornstarch on the site area and then use lotion after they 'dry up'. It continually itches and his back looks like to has had a blistering sunburn continously. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Related Reading: sunburn

Comment from: 75 or over on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year Published: January 31

My Mother has been on this medication for about 6 months. When she went from the low dose 4.6 to the next step it made her so sick she wound up in the hospital. She is now staying on the low dose, but - I've not seen any improvement in her condition. In fact just the opposite - she seems to be getting worse.

Comment from: ohdannyboy99, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: May 19

My mother is on this drug after a stay in the hospital and nursing home. I thought it had no effect until we missed 2 doses and she seemed more agitated. Again this is anecdotal but I now make sure she takes it religiously. A few years ago she was on Namenda - that was troublesome because it was sometimes hard to get her to swallow a pill. The patch is effortless.

Related Reading: namenda

Comment from: mickeycapp3, 75 or over on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: June 02

I have been on it for just over a month. My doctor started me with the low dosage. Now I am on the 9.5mg/24 hours. I have noticed some change for the better with my memory, but still have some confusion and panic attacks. Howvever, I am very optimistic that this medication can help me.

Related Reading: panic attacks

Comment from: Dick, 75 or over Female on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: April 22

This medication has only been tried at the lower level. It may be that it has affected appetite (reduction) especially in mornings. Our neurologist has indicated that studies of the patch indicate a slowing of progression. Benefits according to my wife are nil. I feel that if it is true that it slows progression, it is worth the price. The first months supply can be obtained without financial outlay. The drug is about 700 dollars for a month's supply which is expensive for many people if not covered by insurance. Of course, if as is grimly forcast, there will be more Patients in future, my $5000 annual premiums will not get any cheaper.

Comment from: janmar38p, 65-74 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: June 24

This was hekping my memory a lot and I had already started to use the higher dosage. I have been feeling tired with no energy and the nuese that visits my home 1 time a week said this was the cause. I called my Dr. (Psychiarist) who has been my Dr. for sev. yrs. and hehas never given me anything that I had a problem. He back me off the higher dose & then I took4.6 for a week & he suggested I try to see if this was my problem. I have great blood test - all test are good, just got the results this morning. cholestrol 170 with good other very good - triglycerides 55 - no diebesis sodium serum 140 - I am overweight - height 5'11" 264 -- & I have lots of joint pain. I am 71 yrs. old - can you tell me if the exelon patch could be the cause for my tiredness. Thanks Janis Padgett ([email protected])

Related Reading: exelon patch

Dementia, Alzheimer's Disease, and Aging Brains See Slideshow
Comment from: 65-74 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: February 19

i have felt better from takng this medication.

Comment from: [email protected], 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: September 14

My Mother is 86 years old with Alzheimers. She has taken Aricept and Namenda since she was diagnosised,she was put on the Exelon patch and within days she regressed. After one week she was put back on the Aricept and has returned to her old self. With the patch she was always falling asleep and was very confused. You couldn't carry on a conversation with her and she was lost. With the Aricept and Namenda she is very functionable and other then forgetting names occasionally she is pretty good.

Related Reading: aricept | namenda | exelon patch

Comment from: LYoung5525, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: May 01

No difference after 3 months.....

Comment from: Jay Jay, 65-74 on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: June 02

Severe headaches. No change in symptoms. Not worth the expense. Discouraging to try a highly recommended drug, and get no improvement. My husband has been on the drug for five months...and nothing has changed.

Comment from: 65-74 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 04

Nausea and skin rashes

Comment from: 65-74 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year Published: January 12

My mother was put on the Exelon patch (low dosage) July 2012, After she was diagnosed with MCI. She was getting better with it. Personality had changed back to her normal self and she was remembering things better. She was admitted to a nursing home in September and by December the nursing home took her off of it "because it can cause crying spells" . Now we are now going backwards.

Comment from: CaringSonNB, 45-54 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: December 21

My mother is 83 years old and has been suffering from Alzheimer and some Dementia. Her doctor recomended the patch 4. mg about 2 weeks ago. At first I saw a major difference in her attitude and she even started doing things that she hadn't done in over a year. But after a couple of days that happy " Im Back " feeling went away. Some days things are really bad at home bu now I just try to help her with memory drill by shhowing her old photos and discussing family stories that I remember as a child to see what happens. Some days she is clear and tells me her own experiences other times she doesn't even recall where these memories were from. But we are still doing the patch.

Comment from: Female Published: March 25

Given to my mother, but doctor and pharmacy gave no warnings for side effects. She was on a beta blocker called Metoprolol. Very bad to take together. Terrible side effects. Hospitalized. Need to have pharmacy check for drug interactions and precautions. Risk to heart patients as well. Patient and family need to be told risks and things to watch for.

From WebMD Logo