Exjade

Comment from: magpie717545-54on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: October 26

Worked effectively to bring my ferritin down from 7000 to 1000 in 12 months. It is easy to use, just have to always take it with you and use on an empty stomach. I used it before dinner, so had to make sure to take before going out to dinner or for day long outings. Only downside is, it is very expensive.

Comment from: on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: October 05

Comment from: jm65-71on Treatment for 5-10 years Published: February 27

Have taken drug for six years, transfusion dependent anemia. Stomach problems helped by zantac. Take meds at night, works better than morning.

Comment from: juan28ca35-44on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: May 02

IT DEPENDS HOW BAD YOUR CASE IS. I'M TO THE POINT WHERE I HAVE CIRRHOSIS OF THE LIVER. I HAVE NOT SEEN THAT MUCH CHANGE. I USED TO BE AT 7000 ON FERRITING NOW I AM AT 2300.IT HAS GONE DOWN MAYBE BY EATING HEALTHIER. NO RED MEAT, NOTHING THAT IS HIGH IN IRON.

Comment from: 65-71on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: March 18

Having so many blood transfusions for Leukemia, developed iron overload with Ferritin 2300. Taking Exjade for almost 1 year. Ferritin keeps flucuating. Got as low as 981 but then went up again. Not only is the medication EXPENSIVE, it tears up my stomach. Don't know where to go from here. What about diet? Are there foods that can help? I've limited my meat consumption but then I'm anemic. Help!!

Comment from: bblaze65-71on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: June 28

MDS patient. Severe stomach and intestinal problems with extreme diarrhea Could not tolerate.

Comment from: trev55-64on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: December 17

had severe rash after a few weeks. restarted onlow dose with steroids. take flax seed oil2tsp. a day eat a higher dairy foos diet. skin goes very dry. moisturise skin as often as possible.

Comment from: Tinkerbell35-44on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: May 04

My Father has Leukemia and has had chemo for the past 12 months. Due to the transfusions he has too much iron in his body. I would like to know what benefit IF ANY or what increase in quality of life he should expect. I would also like to know why a co-pay is $4,000.00 a month?!?!?! YOU TELL ME WHAT IS THIS MONEY GOING TO BUY! With a 4 month treatment plan I'd say Novartis is doing a damn good job of wiping out Senior Citizens Life Savings. $16,000.00 when it is all said and done Hope it is worth it!

Comment from: B. Nick65-71on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: February 14

At present I am taking Defeoxamine through a portable pump for a 12 hour period each day. This kit consists of tubes, pump, bag and all the fittings and is starting to get me down. I was hopeing that Exjade would be simpler.

Comment from: Alvin75 or over Published: January 22

Rash and itching

Comment from: Badger55-64on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: March 26

If you need financial assistance, try: Restricted Distribution Program Patients must obtain deferasirox through the Exjade Patient Assistance and Support Services (EPASS) program.21 The clinician and patient must jointly complete a prescription and reimbursement application.21 Following verification of prescription information and review of healthcare benefits, an authorized specialty pharmacy ships deferasirox directly to the patient or the clinician’s office.21 To enroll in this program, call 888-903-7277 or visit .21

Comment from: 45-54on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: June 08

It is very harsh on the stomach after prolonged usage.

Comment from: Iceburgslimk25-34on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: June 28

I have Sidroblastic anemia. Too much Iron, not enough blood. I've tried Defeoxamine which worked very well, but was very rough on my body. Injection site, etc. Exjade is a good alternative. I'm just still trying to adjust. It upsets my stomach bad. I am currently taking it right before bed. I have been taking it for a year or more as of now. An affective pill bypasses and injection any day if you ask me!

Comment from: DD55-64on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: October 31

I have only been taking exjade for one month, its hard on stomach and heart.

Comment from: IronChic45-54on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: February 22

Very hopeful. Do not like mixing this med with juice.. psychologically messes with me... but juice doesn't change in flavor, so still have to gulp it down. After the 1st dose, I was in the bathroom for 2 hours. Poor tummy. Hopeful that I don't have to take this forever.

Comment from: margo65-71on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: December 20

To much iron in my blood. I'm a MDS patient.

Comment from: hoping2help35-44on Treatment for 6 months to - 1 year Published: December 12

For those saying they can't afford there are always resources. Medicaid patients use a foundation: http://www.needymeds.org/brand-drug/name/Exjade Otherwise call Novartis and tell them. They sometimes have free drug or ways to help.

Comment from: Sunshine642025-34on Treatment for 5-10 years Published: October 21

While I certainly appreciate the oral aspect of this drug (as opposed to the subQ chelation therapy) the drug itself is quite revolting. It's gritty and bitter, I find myself gagging trying to take it (although it's easier in very sweet juices). After years of taking this with orange juice I can no longer stomach the smell of OJ. The GI side effects are the worst. I intentionally skip my doses on days I have big meetings or will be traveling without close access to a rest room. It doesn't seem to matter when I take the drug, it always upsets my stomach and at random times during the day. I'll continue taking it as I'm transfusion dependent but (hopefully) a less disgusting version will be developed in coming years.

Comment from: belac55-64on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: May 02