Femring

Comment from: Marla, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: October 02

I am a health care provider and this was the recommended method to help with my menopausel symptoms. I can insert this ring and not think about it again for 90 days.

Comment from: Nola, 55-64 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: October 07

Tried pills, patches etc. This is the best solution yet BUT I wish they made a smaller version. I never had children so things are small down there. Most of the time.. no problem but before sex I have to take it out and remember to put it back later. If I don't take it out then climax causes muscle contractions that cause the thing to abrade the inside and make me bleed. A LOT. Taking it out works but there is no information from the company that I can find to tell me wether or not this might impact it's effectiveness. (I wonder because since I have been doing this some mild hot flashes have come back even though I do put it right back hours later.) I realize that a woman my age that has never been pregnant is a relative rarity but we do exist and it would be nice if there were smaller rings. I am told by my doctor who diagnosed this problem that if they made all of them smaller they would have a problem of falling out. One size does not fit all though. Otherwise this is the perfect solution. It works, You only have to remember to change it every 3 months and otherwise you have to give it no thought. As you get older you end up taking more pills and you worry about impact on your kidneys, liver, etc.. from all of them. This is one less thing to swallow and that has to be a good thing.

Related Reading: hot flashes | liver

Comment from: artglassqueen, 55-64 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: October 19

I have used t his to counter vaginal atrophy. Although I am 64 my husband and I still enjoy sexual activity. The Femring has enabled my vagina to regain the natural lubrication necessary for painless intercourse,

Related Reading: femring

Comment from: denise, 45-54 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: September 18

I am 48 years old and have been using the femring for 6years. I would give it 10 stars if possible. My husband can even tell when the 3mon are almost up due to my personality changes. I have no more hot flashes or night sweats. I don't no why more doctors do not perscribe this. It is the easiest method I have found. A life changer.

Related Reading: femring | night sweats

Comment from: sherankk, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 24

At 42 years old I was miserable due to menapause syptoms. Not sleeping, terrible hot flashes and mood swings. Within days of inserting Femring I could see a difference and by 10 days they were completely gone and I feel great again!!!

Comment from: sastified, 55-64 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: April 19

Surgical menopause at age 37, w/removal of ovaries, and on prescription oral estrogens until six years ago, when I switched to the Femring. Am now 58. Libido is stronger than ever, and vaginal dryness is non-existent, especially during intercourse. Enjoy an excellent sex life, including oral. The ring does not interfere with penetration, nor does my partner notice the ring. Only two minor cons: Nothing has ever helped with occasional hot flushes, including the ring; on two occasions in the past several months, after my partner has removed himself, the ring came out with him. My guess is that this may be due to the increased amount of moisture in the vagina.

Related Reading: menopause | vaginal dryness

Comment from: Rose, 55-64 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: March 02

I have used HRT for the last 13 years,since having a hysterecotomy, but find Femring to be the best, it gets the job done. I started out at the highest dosage, but have since cut back to the lowest dosage. No problems, I love this product, but it is pricey. I have RX insurance but stills have to pay 50.00 every three months. I am 61 years old.

Comment from: Betts R Off, 55-64 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: October 22

I suffered from vaginal atrophy and severs vaginal dryness that made intercourse painful and consequently infrequent. FemRing changed all this for the better. The only complaint I have is the drop-off after about sixty days until you re-insert a new one. My mood changes come back and it is evident the estrogen has diminished. Still, it is the best HRT I have experienced.

Related Reading: femring

Comment from: ms. ross, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: April 01

I have been on the ring for 1 month. Within 2 weeks of being on the ring I had a menstral that lasted 4 days. I had not had one of those in years, but I got through. I have also experienced some shoulder pain which is minor. I have been unable to sleep for the last 4 years and now I can sleep like a normal person. I know it's only been a month but it is working for me. No hot flashes at all at any point of the day. I haven't had any problems with having sex while having the ring inside. I am 37 and have a long hall ahead of me with hormone replacements. So far so good!

Related Reading: hot flashes

Comment from: ariat10530, 35-44 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: July 25

I had a hysterectomy in 99 and ovary removal in 03 at age 36 I went into surgical menopause I tried different HRT's with different side effects. I tried the Femring and have been extremely satisfied. I do not have to remember anything except to replace every 3 months! I do worry about the safety of HRT but at 42 I really dont have a choice,

Related Reading: menopause | femring

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: July 13

While it was very effective and easy to use for my symptoms, I had changes in my breasts that were not acceptable to me. They were VERY sensitive, and seemed to get worse the longer I used it.

Comment from: krispycritter22, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: November 27

I have been using prescribed estrogens for several years now and find this one to be very effective and easy to use. I had a complete hysterectomy at a fairly young age and need to maintain my estrogen levels. This has been one of the most effective means I have tried and it also is a natural form of estrogen not a synthetic form that I prefer to avoid.

Comment from: Brenda, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: June 17

When I first used the ring, the vaginal atrophy disappeared and sexual intercourse became pleasurable again. the ring was uncomfortable, though. it felt too big and pressed on my bladder giving me the feeling of needing to urinate all the time. Those feelings got better but still I was always aware that the ring was there, slightly uncomfortable. After Inserting the second ring, I started having bleeding after sexual intercourse and had a very disturbing discharge. I finally went to the doctor and was given clindamycin to treat a vaginal bacterial infection. I was told that the Femring had caused erosion in my vaginal wall and it was removed immediately. the dosage was too high for me and the ring was too big for me.... I have been given vaginal cream now to help with the dryness. hopefully, this works. I loved that the Femring gave me sexual pleasure again but understand that every person is different and in the end, it did not work for me.

Related Reading: clindamycin

Comment from: gormah, 55-64 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: February 19

On the "ring" for over 8 years post hysterectomy. Finally went to a doc that measured my hormone levels. Found my estrogen was 10 times the norm (600mg as opposed to "normal" 66mg). With a familial history of breast cancer on both sides (yes, even my father got breast cancer) I was appalled that no one had suggested a quantitative measurement before this. So, that's my suggestion to you all.... get lab work done regularly to ameliorate any chance of an estrogen driven cancer being whipped into a frenzy by insanely high levels when not monitored.

Related Reading: breast cancer | cancer

Comment from: hindsight, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 23

After having a tumor removed & hysterectomy & trying oral HRT the Dr suggested the Femring to help dryness and cut Rx costs. I tried it for 3 weeks - it gave me an infection and disrupted my sex life terribly as my partner & I both enjoy oral sex. If it works for you & you don't engage in oral sex I could see it being a good product - but it gives you something I didn't think about before hand.

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: December 12

Started on the Femring in late October after a Total Abdominal Hysterectomy-Bilateral Salpingo-Oopherectomy the previous month. Within days my hot flashes disappeared. It took about three weeks for the depression to go away. It's been relatively easy to use but don't have anything to compare it to since it's my first experience with HRT. There have been a couple of occasions when I was constipated and strained bowl movements caused the ring to almost slip out. (I now always check before flushing.) Frequent external vaginal yeast infections have been uncomfortable but I didn't link it to the ring until just recently; the informational sheet provided by the pharmacy lists it as a possible side effect. A replacement ring is due in a few days and I'll be tracking the frequency of my yeast infections. The infections seem to happen every couple of weeks and are controlled with external over-the-counter yeast infection treatments.

Related Reading: depression | yeast infection

What Is Osteoporosis? Treatment, Symptoms, Medication See Slideshow
Comment from: Frannie, 65-74 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: May 11

I had a hysterectomy at 30. I started on Femring .025 or .05 at age 60 for hot flashes and hormones. I eliminated it for one year and had a trublent year. I am not 65 years old and still need to use.

Related Reading: femring | hot flashes

Comment from: goodtogo, 55-64 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: November 21

I cannot say enough good things about Femring. it has eliminated dryness, atrophy, and hot flashes. My libido and lubrication are like I'm 25 years old again. The only complaint I have is that it is not on my insurance formulary and costs me almost $300 out of pocket. My husband says it's well worth it!

Comment from: Cool Cat Again, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: April 17

Like other reviewers I've never been pregnant & am a petite person. Wish these were smaller, hello! Anyway I need estrogen for hot flashes/low libido/vaginal atrophy. Took oral HRT for 5 yrs then bio-identical creams for another 5, both worked great. REALLY loved the testosterone cream effects but my cardiologist said STOP ASAP! it's crazy dangerous. So went without any HRT for a year... symptoms just too horrible. On my 2nd Ring now, cost is $100 w/insurance, seems alot since stroke/etc. risks are supposedly lower... ? I'm using .5 dosage, within days hot flashes gone. No longer feel it in there since vaginal atrophy abated. Just hope I don't get any blood clots or other bad side effects other than a little clear discharge. Overall: thumbs up.

Related Reading: testosterone | stroke | blood clots

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: February 06

I tried low-dose patches but they always fell off. I have been on Femring 0.5 mg. for 4 months. I just removed the Femring because I am breaking out all over my chin and feel very nervous - almost, but not quite like drinking too much coffee. I think I'll go back to the lowest strength patch and figure out some way to keep it from falling off.

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 21

I am on the .1mg dose ring. Within hours of insertion of the first ring, I went from a crying, anxiety-ridden, dry-eyed mess to feeling more "normal" than I had in many months. Although it is supposed to last for 3 months, it didn't for me and my gynecologist said that she writes on the script to change every 2 months for almost all her patients. It cured my vaginal atrophy quickly. I just wished that the ring lasted longer and was more affordable. I went to the femring because I stopped absorbing from the estrogen patches and the spray wasn't strong enough. Also, it is a steady dose of estrogen so you don't wake up with a panic attack (those of you who are going through menopause know what I am talking about). The first few days you might feel MORE hot flashes, etc, but that is just because your body is reacting to the fluctuation in hormones (getting more estrogen). Stick with it as this settles down in days and you will feel so normal you won't believe it!

Related Reading: anxiety | femring | menopause

Comment from: Kittin in Alaska, 35-44 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: January 23

I am a 3x cancer survivor with allergies to all kinds of meds. The femring has kept me on a even path. With out the Femring no one can stand to be around me,let alone myself. My partner, he doesn't even feel it during intercorse. Once in awhile we need a little gel do to be a little dry, but not often. The femring has been a God sent. If you ask me my feelings, 1 being poor and 10 being the greatest. I give it a 20. I have been on the Femring for 6 years now. I forget that it is even there. Thank you!

Related Reading: cancer

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: October 14

I've used Femring for 10 years and it totally takes care of my hot flashes that just won't go away.

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: January 05

This is the best medication by far that I have tried post menopause... I've tried almost every pill and patch available and this is the only thing that has helped almost all my symptoms... I just wish it were more affordable!

Comment from: Giai, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 11

The Femring elevated my vaginal dryness and once again my husband & I enjoy a healthy sexual relationship. Within an hour of inserting the vaginal dryness was gone. I've not experienced any of the side effects and not having to take a pill on a daily basis is a big plus. The once a quarter changing is a great advance over any products on the market. I was a big anti HRT until this product was prescribed by my MD.

Related Reading: femring | vaginal dryness

QUESTION

If menopause occurs in a woman younger than ___ years, it is considered to be premature. See Answer