Fioricet with Codeine

Comment from: 35-44 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: October 29

I started taking Fioricet/Codeine when I was in my mid 20's for severe headaches/head pain (migraines?). After suffering for years, the drug was a God-send for me and my family! Unfortunately, after 8 years of gradually increasing usage and my doctor prescribing the medication like candy, I became addicted to it - an experience I would not wish upon anyone! Afterwards I tried a succession of different medications and treatment approaches. After 3 or 4 years with no luck, I went back on the Fioricet/Codeine. I am now in my mid-40's and continue to take the Fioricet/Codeine. I continue to explore other treatment options, but that is often very discouraging and tiring. For me, Fioricet/Codeine is the only medication that has worked well to treat the headaches. Just be very careful to monitor and keep usage in check. (Note: Most doctors and pharmacists will tell you that Fioricet and Fiorinal are basically the same - one has tylenol, the other asprin. For me, Fiorinal is ineffective compared with Fioricet!)

Related Reading: fioricet | codeine | tylenol

Comment from: Old Lady, 55-64 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: February 25

Amazing relief from severe headaches with pain behind eyes and at temples. Does make you drowsy but in a nice way. Would not take if you must drive.

Comment from: amarsh, 45-54 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: January 22

I have been taking it onand off for 15 years I went off of it because I felt dependant on it and went through horrible withdrawls only to have to start taking it again because it was the only one that worked. But it does scare me having to take it knowing that I am dependant on it.

Comment from: [email protected], 35-44 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: February 16

This medication has worked for my tension headaches very well I also tolerate the medication. No more taking every pain reliever there is to get rid of the migrains.

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: February 23

i was prescribed this medicine after everything else failed. i take this not only when i'm getting a headache but also to prevent one. after suffering from crippling headaches with no ease from the pain this was a God send for me.

Comment from: 25-34 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 21

After suffering a traumatic brain injury in a car accident, this is the only medication that has given me some relief. It does not take the pain away, however, it does reduce the pain to a tolerable level.

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: March 12

I have been on Fioricet w/ codiene for 3 years now. I have very frequent tension headaches and Migraines.Im 23 and have had horrible headaches since i was 13 around that time of the month as did all the females on my mothers side. I have tried lortabs, demoral, topomax, imitrex, treximet, and hundreds more and NOT ONE of them has helped my headaches, only the Fioricets. My mother takes this same medication and she agrees that they kill the pain of headaches and makes you able to carry out the rest of your day and not have to fight a migraine for 2 or 3 days. The only downfall of this medication is how easily you may become dependant on them. If your body is used to taking them and you slow down taking them, you can get an adverse reaction and cause yourself to have a headache or migraine. So if you decide to use this medicine, make sure you only take it when needed. I havent been to the hospital with a migraine in almost 2 years...THANK GOD!!!

Related Reading: imitrex | treximet

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: December 28

I have been taking Fioricet w/ codeine going on two years now. I was first given regular fioricet which did not help at all. Fiorcet w/ codeine completly takes away all the pain when i get a migraine. But makes me sleep like a baby which everyone needs.

Related Reading: codeine

Comment from: 25-34 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: April 29

I got rear ended a few years ago and have degenarated disks in my neck. Every since I got hurt I'v been gitting vary bad tension headaches. I'v tryed quite a few diffrent pain killers most all of the have been vary strong, such as Dilaudid, Methadone, and Oxycodopne. I'v found that the Fioricet w/Codeine works better for me then any fo the stronger medications I was on before, and also It's far less addictive and far safer

Related Reading: dilaudid

Comment from: lj, 25-34 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: April 19

I have been taking this medication for years for tension/migraine headaches and it is the only med that works. Use with care because it can be a dependent drug but if you have any type of severe headaches but with physician direction it is worth the relief.

Comment from: labra3635, 55-64 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: January 21

having migrains and tension headaches, this is ONLY med that works,tried vicodin,percocet and trial of oxycontin NONE worked as well as this and tolerate well.

Related Reading: vicodin | percocet | oxycontin

Comment from: c_cali, 19-24 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: February 15

This medication has been a miracle for me. There has only been a couple migraines that couldnt be taken care of with this drug. It just makes me EXTREMELY tired. I have tried every migraine medication out there and this is the only thing that works for me!

Comment from: Smiley, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: March 26

I have horrible sinus/tension headaches and this medication works fast and usually relieves most my pain. I've had surgery for sinus problems, tried many prescribed medications and natural(herbal) ways to find relief. When you can't open your eyes because the light is so unbearable. Your stomach turning circles and the thought of moving just is not an option. I found it easier to breath and my headaches ,(most days),are under control thanks to Fiorenol w/ codeine.

Related Reading: codeine

Comment from: rayemo, 45-54 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: May 21

This drug combo is amazing. Due to several auto accidents and chroic mixed migraines /tension headaches that I suffered with for years, I can finally get the relief I need to continue to function. Most Doctors refuse to consider prescribing it and I've had a difficult time getting drug coverage. Not many insurance companies or doctors have a clue what life-altering relief is felt by all of us terminal sufferers of this type of headache. The caps are easy to swallow and I have noticed slight constipation if I have to take a max dose for more than two days in a row without a stool softner. Hope they never stop making Fiorinal available. I can't imagine going back to living in a darkened room again with a trash can next to the bed in case the nausea got too severe.

Related Reading: headache | constipation

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 23

Two week headache--drug reduced pain significantly, although not completely.

Comment from: Karen Miller, 65-74 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: November 15

I have been taking this for about 15 years after trying every other medication available for migraines& tension headaches which would last up to 3 days. I take 4 a day & I know I am dependent on it, but it enables me to hold down a job & live a normal life. It is a trade-off, but I'm so glad i finally found something that works as a preventative & also relieves those times when pain is worse than usual.

Comment from: miagrrl, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: February 13

I have had a three day long migraine/extreme tension headache. My doctor prescribed this, and within an hour I had tremendous relief. After a few more doses/24 hours later, headache completely gone with no rebound headache effects. I did not feel impaired in any way, even though it had codeine in it. I felt great, and was able to return to my normal activities. I highly recommend people with intense headaches try this medication!

Related Reading: tension headache

Comment from: roserunner1221, 19-24 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: July 29

I have been having migraines and headaches for a very long time. Throughout the past 6 years they have progressed into a constint everyday headaches which eventually turn into migraines or just really horrible headaches. There is only one other medicine that works for me...more of the holistic aproach. I quit that. Doctor just prescribed me this medicine in the past week. I have not felt this great in a while. I am very worried about becoming dependant on it though. I use it at least 4 times a week, only one though. It feels good to be myself again with no pain.

QUESTION

Medically speaking, the term "myalgia" refers to what type of pain? See Answer
Comment from: LizB627, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: December 17

this is the ONLY medication that helps my headaches, I have suffered from migraines since I was 16 (now 27) As a result of a car accident. This is a life saver for me. I don't use it very often (3 or 4 times a month) but it helps sooo much when I need it!

Comment from: cdmcwil, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: November 02

I have been taking this medication for over a year now and have been very happy with the results. My headaches come on fast and cannot be touched by any other medicine. The only complaint that I have is that I ) gain weight very quickly if I take it for more than two days in a row. Not sure why, but only when I take this medication do I have this issue.

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: August 17

I was involved in a very bad auto accident about 8 months ago this is when my headaches began on a regular basis, my Dr ordered Fioricet at this time and it has been the only medication that has truly given me a good amount of relief! I only take this when I have a migraine that is sever due to the fact this medication can be addicting but when taken as the Dr has ordered it this is a effective medication. Good luck to all of you who suffer from headaches/migraines and I hope this helps you I know it helped me!

Related Reading: fioricet

Comment from: dawn, 35-44 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: March 18

headach

Comment from: mredpcdr, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: April 29

Last for only 2 hours. Then have to wait for 4 hours to take more. 4 hours of very bad headache getting worse with every minuite I have to wait. ONLY 6 PER 24 HRs?

Related Reading: headache

Comment from: [email protected], 55-64 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: February 08

I take for migraine and it works very fast and well and I tolerate it very well.

Comment from: Tommjy, 75 or over Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: August 14

I have had tension, sinus and sleep apmea headaches. This is the only pain medication that has been able to relieve all three as needed. Very effective but it is easy to become dependenant on this drug. However, I would highly recommend it for its ability to decreas pain for these problems.