Flagyl

Published: January 21

I was extremely nervous to take this medication after reading the reviews. I am a very small person with a very sensitive stomach, so I thought for sure I would be vomiting all week. Not so. The metal taste in my mouth is a little irritating, my appetite is decreased, and I feel a little groggier than usual, but it's really not so bad. Just thought I would write a review to ease some people's minds. I only weigh about a hundred pounds and sometimes throw up just from getting too excited, so if it's not making me sick, chances are it won't make you sick either.

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: April 28

#1 advice ever that 100% eliminates the gross taste. Put the pill on half a spoonful of jelly and swallow with milk or almond milk or soy milk. I have never tasted this pill bc of this technique. I have had to take this twice for BV. The majority of side effects came from reading these reviews and stressing myself out about it (I have a nervous stomach & and tendency to worry). All of my BV symptoms were gone after the first dose, but 3 months later I still had inflammation, so I am on round 2. I am on day 2 but no real side effects besides a mild head ache and just general sleepiness. You have an infection. Your immune system is all messed up right now. You are not going to be feeling great anyways. Follow the directions (DO NOT DRINK. NOT EVEN A SIP OF BOOZE. EAT A FULL MEAL RIGHT BEFORE THE PILL. HALF A CUP OF YOGURT OR A GRANOLA BAR DOES NOT COUNT). while staying away from these reviews, and you will most likely be absolutely fine. I also take a probiotic with this pill twice a day and try to eat very healthy. Limit sugar and yeasty breads bc of the chance of getting a yeast infection (I did the first time I was on this medication, so I have a pill for that to take at the end of my treatment). Take extra special care of yourself while on these antibiotics. Your immune system needs the help. If you don't, you will feel worse. If you are eating poorly, are overweight, underweight due to lack of eating, don't move around/exercise, don't get enough sleep...chances are you are feeling like crap most of the time anyways, but you get used to it. Being unhealthy will always make you react poorly to just about anything (medications, pregnancy, illness). Not eating enough is unhealthy as well. (Yoga daily, even just for a short bit of time, does wonders).

Related Reading: yeast infection | pregnancy

Comment from: dgag81, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: August 10

I have taken this before and it works very good.. when you read all the bad reviews it makes you think you might have some of the symptoms that other woman have..take the medicine and see how you feel.. Everyone is different and we all have different bodies. If it doesnt work try something else. But for myself it has worked and i would recommended it..

Comment from: angeladollface, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 06

I suffered for about two weeks before I figured out the "fishey smell" was not going to clear up by itself. I was prescribed this drug and after the second day I was back to smelling normal! After following the doctor's orders (absolutely NO alcohol) I had no side effects whatsoever and I am generally sensitive to anything I ingest, especially antibiotics. My only suggestion is do not leave the pill in your mouth more than a couple seconds before swallowing, it does leave a bad metal aftertaste in your mouth, but with a couple of swigs of juice (or what have you) the taste is gone.

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 06

This drug cleared up the infection almost right away, I noticed a change after two doses HOWEVER, I've had a headache for 4 out of the five days on it. On day 4 it was a severe migraine, vomiting and all. I didn't take the pill while having the migraine because I couldn't keep anything down. The migraine went away at night and I felt great. So I took another pill, went to sleep and woke up with another headache! Not as bad a migraine but I'm miserable! Not to mention I have a weird rash on my breast out of nowhere. My luck, the prescribing Doctor is out of the office today and won't be back till Monday. I know if I stop the infection might come back but these headaches are interfering with my life! I can't do anything but sleep.

Related Reading: rash

Comment from: pokey, 45-54 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: November 08

I'm 48 and have had diverticulitis, IBD since diagnosis at 26. I'm currently on a round of flagyl and cipro. I have only one good thing to say about these scripts, they work. I have to take it 4-5 times a year, and the surgeons are after me with scalpels just like peasants went after frankenstein with pitchforks! Given the options between the nasty side effects vs losing my colon, I choose the nasty side effects. If you're taking it then just deal with it until you're completely done with the regimen. Trust me when I tell you that finishing the meds and getting rid of the infection should be your primary concern right now. This is the part of your body that deals with nutrition absorption. You think you're tired now? If your infection doesn't clear up, you will NEVER feel alive again! I know, i'm at that stage. Just take it. And if the side effects are too much then do what I did in 2009, check yourself into a hospital and have the meds delivered IV. Either way, do your future a favor, do NOT stop until the infection is gone!

Related Reading: diverticulitis | flagyl | cipro

Comment from: Azucar, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: August 18

This has tasted terrible, and although I think it's helped the diverticulitis (been on it for 12 days), it has given me diarrhea and loose bowels the entire time. Doctor recommended yogurt and acidophilus to get the cultures back into the intestines, but I find that eating bananas regularly has helped a little bit. Still very uncomfortable with 3 days to go. Ugh!

Related Reading: diverticulitis | diarrhea

Comment from: LuAnn, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 05

Severe diverticulitis. Felt better within 48 hours. Only problem is the taste.I found that if I took it with a spoonful of applesauce it helped.

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: August 02

I'm took it for BV and my doctor wanted me to take it by mouth twice daily! By the fourth day it had cleared up! Only thing is that every night I would get this nasty taste in my mouth and on one day my urine got darker! There really wasn't any bad side effects! Take with food to reduce nausea!

Comment from: thorne, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 28

The medication works however the side effects have been horrible. Upset stomach, fatigue, Diarrhea and irritability. 1 pill 2 times a day. I am on day 7 and I still have the side effects. To top it off I now have a yeast infection.

Related Reading: fatigue | diarrhea | yeast infection

Comment from: chilton001@triad.rr.com, 19-24 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: May 30

Every time I have taken this medication, it has landed me in the hospital(for 5to8 days) for pancreatis. This illness is severly painful and there is no cure, and my doctor did say that the metranidizole was causing my pancreas to inflame. Be very careful!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Comment from: 65-74 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: August 25

I am allergic to many antibiotics,so I am always fearful to take a new one. I was so uncomfortable, and in pain with this infection, and knew I had to start taking the Metronidazole. After doing some research, I found that this is often given to dogs for intestinal bacteria. Well, I figured if a dog could handle it, then I could too. It does taste terrible but if you hide it in food, it is tolerable. I am on day 3, and so far it is working quite well, and I have not had any bad effects. People seem to comment more when something is bad...well this is working for me, and I am a lightweight when it comes to medicines.

Related Reading: metronidazole

Comment from: ASierra , 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: June 24

I was recently diagnosed with BV and this is the 1st time I have been prescribed with drug. It has caused nausea and I had an upset stomach on day 1. I noticed my urine had darkened on day 2. This is THEE nastiest pill I have ever taken! It starts dissolving immediately after you put it in your mouth. The taste is indescribable. Now I take a sip of whatever I'm drinking fill my mouth up and then take the pill. Much better this way. Oh I had burning urination as well...only lasted 1 day. Longest 7 days ever

Comment from: blah, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 22

I am on the 500mgx2x7. I've found that the side affects are worse if this is taken without food. I took my second pill after eating only an apple, big mistake. When I take it with a full meal I get a little lethargic and kind of bloated feeling but it's manageable. Definitely take with food

Comment from: pandora, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: February 23

geez..does anyone read the bottle anymore? take with food, no alcohol, finish all thats prescribed, no problem. all medication tastes awful, get over it. works wonders for me, every time.

Comment from: Julia, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 14

It worked to cure my problem, but the metal taste was almost more than I could bear. I am still tasting metal after being off it more than 2 weeks. I called the pharmacist, who called the mfg. and he told me I get to my Dr. as I could have a fungal infection in my mouth. I will be going next week. Has anyone else had this prolonged side effect???

Comment from: penpal8, 19-24 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 08

My doctor prescribed me this medication for BV. She recommended that I take four pills in one day instead of two pills a day for seven days. I took two pills at one time and two pills two hours later. I probably would have been nauseous, but I took it with food and lots of water each time. Later that afternoon (3 hours later), I was tired and dizzy. I felt a headache coming on so I took a nap. The next day, the BV is gone or at least going away. Overall, the side effects weren't that bad for me.

Related Reading: headache

Comment from: 35-44 (Patient) Published: March 11

Yesterday I posted a review and said I would return with an update on alcohol use. Yesterday was day 7. I skipped my evening dose and had 3 drinks. I did not get violently ill. I did get a little light headed and dizzy (not the usual reaction to alcohol consumption) a couple of hours later. Again, everyone is different, but that was my experience.

Comment from: ddu, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 27

after reading these reviews I was scared of the cure. Don't believe all that you read. First, don't place this on your tongue since that's where the most taste buds are. I placed it under my tongue and swallowed with a full glass of water. I was sure to take it on an full stomach and on schedule three times daily for the entire 7 days. I may have had one or two headaches during the week. I had no alcohol as mentioned and found the medication to be very effective. I wanted to write because everything I read prior to taking the medication had me scared to take it. All meds effect people differently.

Comment from: 13-18 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: February 05

The medication worked but I experienced severe stomach pain & vomitting because I did not listen when I was told to avoid alcoholic beverages. Strongly urge anyone who takes this medication, really to avoid alcoholic beverages.

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: August 11

Was my own fault.I was warned by nurse prac that if I had drank any liquor to give it a few days.I started that day..horrible cramps throughout the first night and next day.I wanted to tough it out in case it was the liquor and right now on 2nd night..discharge isnt as thick and no smell. Stomach is not cramping at this point..but I dont have much of an appetite.

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: May 30

I too read all the negative reviews and was apprehensive of taking this medication. I took two 500 mg pills a day for 7 days. I made sure to eat a substantial meal with each dose. I didn't have any nausea, vomiting or stomach issues. I did have a slight headache, but it was no big deal. I used the cream before, but it did not work. My doctor prescribed the oral medication because it gets in your blood stream and therefore works better. I would use this medication again if I needed it - I hope I don't though.

Comment from: barbara, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: June 19

Everything that has been said about this drug is true: Nausea; headache; can't sleep; tired; horrible tasting; etc. However my pain went away after 2 days. The price we pay to feel better. My Dr. said this is the strongest medicine for my condition. After my infection is cleared up I will bite the bullet and have the surgery to remove some of my colon with the pouches. I do not want this condition to ever come back and I never want to have to take this medication again.

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: April 10

Here's what happened. I'm on my 5th day of this treatment (1.5 days left). The first two days I felt better, in the vaginal area. Now, and for the last three days, I've felt itching and stinging when I pee and in the vaginal area in general: much, much LESS comfortable than the nasty tasting pill I take 2wice a day. Even after a good night's sleep and breakfast this moring, I felt dizzy..almost fell down stairs at the University. Some fatigue as well. I hope it gets better at the end and after the treatment is done with.

Related Reading: fatigue

Comment from: FeelinBetterSoon, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: May 09

I have always had a problem taking any medication because of stomach problems, so before I started taking Metronidazole 500mg twice a day for 7 days I was horrified after reading the negative effect it had on so many. I think I let my nerves get the best of me in the beginning but I found that it wasn't as bad as I thought. I found that eating a small meal before I took it and taking it with a glass of cold water...I am fine. I still have a few days to go, but I already feel and see a difference. Follow the directions that are given to you by your doctor and don't let the negative effects that you read from others determine if/whether you take it or not. Your health is so much more important. The end result is so much better than the problem. Good luck to everyone.

Related Reading: metronidazole