Flexeril

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: September 28

I've been taking Flexeril daily for several years. I always take one before bed and only take the other two allowed during the day if my fibro and TMJ pain is really bad. It has helped curb my flareups, allows me to get the sleep I need, and is wonderful!

Related Reading: flexeril

Comment from: Knightflyer, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: May 10

I guess I Feel lucky. This medicine works well with my systems. I take it at night only but wake up feeling well with no hang-over effect.Actually I feel ready to go with no back or neck spasm's for most of the day.

Comment from: Working Man, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: May 16

I find Flexeril 'tops' for killing muscle pain associated with spasm, knots and/or injury. Compared to Valium (which I also have) the Flexeril does a better job for the actual pain & spasm. However, Flexeril does have heavy side effects which could discourage first time users: - Dry mouth and eyes. - A 'tight feeling' of the upper chest & bronchioles (very similar to what a high dose of Benadryl does). - Slightly blurry vision. - A substantial drowsiness which, for me, occurs about 4 hours after taking the dose. It becomes a struggle to stay awake. Definitely never go above the recommended dose - because of the harsh side effects. This isn't a medicine to experiment or play games with.

Related Reading: valium | dry mouth | benadryl

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 30

I have fibromyalgia and have tried nearly every drug we can think of. The doctor suggested this medicine and after I started taking it, I have slept all the way through the night for the first time in years.

Related Reading: fibromyalgia

Comment from: 65-74 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: June 16

I have severe advanced degenerative disc disease. I have been taking FLEXERIL for 5+years. Without it I have severe muscle cramps and spasms in my upper and lower legs. Negative - caused extremely dry mouth. Not being aware of how to take care of the dry mouth led to the loss of ALL of my teeth. Teeth had been examined 8 mo.s prior to a small cavity. When the dentist examined my teeth he found that there was not a single tooth that could be saved due to root and internal decay. Sure do not like these false teeth. Tried stopping taking flexeril for 2 days and the leg cramps, etc. was so bad that I will put up with the dry mouth and very dry skin. Wondering of possible effect on my hair. It has become extremely dry??

Related Reading: flexeril | muscle cramps | dry mouth

Comment from: MikeC in SC, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: September 28

Having had a ruptured disk then back surgery, I had severe cramps and spasms from my toes to the ham strain and lower back pain for several years, before and after surgery. Flexeril completely prevented the uncontrollable cramps and spasms; so much so, I would stop taking the medication only to find that I had to continue to take regularly for nearly 2 years while my nerve healed. During the last year, I only needed 10mg per day just before going to sleep to control the cramps that came just as I went to sleep. Very excellent medication, did not cause any drowsiness or other side effects.

Related Reading: ruptured | lower back pain

Comment from: 35-44 (Patient) Published: September 21

I first used this drug when I was in a car wreck. This medicine was the only thing that helped ease the pain, expecially in the beginning of PT.

Comment from: commanderrhubarb, 55-64 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: October 10

I have bad arthritis in my neck, and unfortunately have to use the computer a lot which aggravates it and causes muscle spasms throughout my neck and back. I got 3 shots of cortisone at the onset of this condition five years ago, which helped enormously, and was then on a huge amount of oxycodone for 18 months, as well as 30 mg of flexeril daily to calm spasming. I have continued to take the flexeril occasionally (5 mgs x 10 times a week?) for spasming pain and it is a life saver-- when I've overdone it or am tense and in pain, I can take it alone or sometimes in combination with ibuprofen and I can get a good night's sleep. No side effects whatsoever except one good one: it makes me less anxious.

Related Reading: arthritis | muscle spasms | cortisone

Comment from: Tess, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 12

My Dr put me on Flexeril,also Methocarbamol,both a muscle relaxant ,also Oxycodone 30mg and Gabapentin 300mg.Dont this seem like a lot of the same meds.This was a pain management Dr.Im afraid to take this all in the same day? Being treated for back pain.the Flexeril makes me feel awful the next morning.He did have me on Soma,which was good!

Related Reading: flexeril | methocarbamol | oxycodone

Comment from: Ihearya, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: May 05

I am 38yr old. I have Fibromyalgia, leg pains from Superficial clots and muscle spasms under my ribs that it hurts to breath. I've been on Flexeril now for almost a year and it has been a wonder drug for me! It makes me sleepy ONLY if I'm tired. It will relax your muscles like valium but without the nausea. I also get Massage therapy which helps a LOT. You just feel relaxed. It takes about 15 min to start taking effect. No side effects outside of feeling sleepy.

Related Reading: fibromyalgia | muscle spasms | valium

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: December 22

with fibromyalgia, I use it to get deep sleep. It works very well. I have had to increase my dose from 10mg to 20mg over a ten year period.

Related Reading: fibromyalgia

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: March 17

I have had problems with my neck for years.I dont like prescription drugs I think they are scary but i cant take advil at all so my doctor recommended it I couldnt be more pleased it works wonders and best part no scary side effects "ie" its non habit forming.. other then a little sleepy wich is fine I take at night as needed this drug is so benificial and mild it should be made avaliable otc it works well for a person that cant take other otc meds that have same benifit "ie" advil

Comment from: Jason, 25-34 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: December 04

I take this medication in addition to Ultram and Ibuprofen to cope with muscle spasms.I get this from a pinched sciatic nerve due to degenerative disc disease. It helps me deal with it but I still ache. My side effects include dizziness and weakness, extreme dry mouth and difficulty swallowing.

Related Reading: ultram | ibuprofen | dizziness

Comment from: jakmak52, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 12

Had a total reverse shoulder and left elbow replacement 4 years ago and was on 30mg MS every 12 hrs for breakthrough pain and 25mcg od Fentanyl for round the clock pain management. I was slowly weaned off with good results. Recently the pain started coming back and I take 10mg Roxicodone without Tylenol with 10mg of Flexeril 3x daily and the results are great !!

Related Reading: pain management | roxicodone | tylenol

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: January 22

This med is great for insomnia but be careful.. when i first started taking it I was out cold like a wet noodle for at least a day, now I cut the pill in 1/2 when my neck flares up..It helps me relax and well sleep thru the pain. Hangover effect also for the first few hours after waking. but overall, recommended.

Related Reading: insomnia

Comment from: akg, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 26

I was prescribed this medication (10mg) for spasms in my neck, but I also have 2 bulging discs and disc degeneration in my lower back and suffer extreme tightness and stiffness as well as muscle spasms from that. I took it for the first time last night and have felt absolutely horrible all day. My vision was blurred for much of the morning and I have felt so drugged and hung over that despite the pain, I don't think I will ever take it again. I can't even say that the stiffness in my neck and back was any better this morning. Diazapam (5mg) knocks me out when I take it too, but if I make sure to take that 8 hours before I want to get up, I'm fine. Thankfully, I listened to my pharmacist who recommended that I wait until a weekend to try the cyclobenzaprine, because I would never be able to function and take care of my two young children on this medicine had it been a week day.

Related Reading: cyclobenzaprine

Comment from: Diane, 45-54 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: March 19

Yrs ago I was prescribed Flexeril for major muscle tension in my upper back and shoulders. Worked like candy! If anyone is looking for a good muscle relaxant, try Soma (non-aspirin) or Soma Compound (w/asprin). Works great on very bad muscle tension in upper back!

Related Reading: flexeril | soma | aspirin

Comment from: JillGa, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 15

My dr suggested that I only take 5mg per night which is perfect. Taking this dose does not give me a hung over feeling in the morning and I get a good nights rest which makes a huge difference in my muscle spasms the next day.

Related Reading: muscle spasms

Comment from: cara1976, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 14

It was a relief to be able to have available to me a medication to ease chronic pain. Flexeril did not make me drowsy, interfere with any other medications I may take, and truthfully eased my discomfort, enabling me to again focus on finding the root of my medical issues and of course in much better shape to enjoy and care for my family and perform well in my line of work.

Related Reading: chronic pain

Comment from: me, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 15

The issue that I have is that I am having vivid and horrible nightmears. and seeing things on the ceiling, like spiders and spagetty like stuff that moves around. I have blurred vision and dry mouth as well. It knocks me out, totally. I am gettion off of this med.

Related Reading: dry mouth

Comment from: kris, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: December 31

I have taken this medication for neck muscle cramping and menstral cramping. It works fine for these symptoms, however it knocks me right out. I have to practically be in bed before taking it or I fall deeply asleep wherever I am. I also feel very disoriented and sleepy for hours after taking a nap with this pill. Hope this helps.

Comment from: Linda, 35-44 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: July 23

Be very carefoul! I took this medication for ten years for my fibromyalgia and it worked too. But it left me with a dry mouth... when pieces of my teeth started breaking off,i stopped taking it but it was too late. So now on top of being in pain 24/7 now all my teeths are breaking in pieces... and it hurts like hell!! So be careful, if i knew i would loose all my teeths because of it,i would have never taken it! !

Related Reading: fibromyalgia

Comment from: Connie, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: February 13

I got it for a muscle spasm in my neck. It seems to be getting better. Makes you slightly dopey feeling.

Comment from: sf36867, 55-64 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: December 30

I take this for sudden, acute muscle spasms that I get in my back occasionally. It makes me sleepy, but also stops the spasm. I keep 10mg on hand but usually take a half unless the spasm is severe. No other side effects.

Comment from: anonymous, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 30

Taking this drug for muscle spasms related to L4/5 degenerative disk disease and severe leg pain. It does work very well for the spasms which start in my back and wrap around to the front. However...very sedating! I got great sleep, but could barely function next day. Dr cut dose in half which helped, but this drug leaves a terrible taste in my mouth for up to 2 days, plus the dry mouth. I only take it when I am desperate.